Page 1 of 1
boring??? [CLOSED]
goldenrushducks Yellow Sparx Gems: 1572
#1 Posted: 00:48:49 22/01/2014 | Topic Creator
well, this game would've been better.
the missions are to long and boring, not like the previous games.
and the game was aimed at 10+ year olds, now pretty much 5 year olds.
i pretty much play once or twice a month and always regret it.
agree???
GigaCamo Emerald Sparx Gems: 4288
#2 Posted: 00:54:34 22/01/2014
What I think of the game for 5 year olds
Arc of Archives Yellow Sparx Gems: 1486
#3 Posted: 01:01:32 22/01/2014
Well I kind of agree, it feels too silly. Honestly, though, I'm not surprised by that.

What really gets to me are the cutscenes. Why is there no option to switch them off and who came up with the genius idea of making you watch them every single time you play? >.> I just got back into playing because we got the new swappers here finally and the cutscenes and dialogue are incredibly annoying.
newkill Emerald Sparx Gems: 3988
#4 Posted: 01:09:44 22/01/2014
Watching cutscenes during loadings > Watching a screen with a loading icon
---
bye
Tel Prydain Blue Sparx Gems: 903
#5 Posted: 01:19:03 22/01/2014
Seriously? Nightmare on this game is MUCH harder, and some of the late level jumping is going to make the game impossible for some kids.
I love the long levels that let you explore and hunt. I love the new platforming. I love the new core-landers (other than countdown, who I still hate).

I'd love to see more difficult hidden items, but other than that - Swap Force is great. On par with SSA and better than Giants.
---
My collection: 98/99
Photos: http://s1298.photobucket.com/u...rary/Skylanders
Looking for: smilie
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#6 Posted: 01:19:49 22/01/2014
Quote: newkill

The forced viewing of cutscenes (even on multiple re-vistings on Woodburrow and even with the skip which must be pressed on every interaction) was a huge design flaw I have with it.

I personally like the game better than Giants, and the Bonus Missions are at least as fun as Heroics with a bit more variety and personality. I think the challenge struck a balance with younger and older players...and the difficulty levels helps skew it.

Doing quests are a bit more tedious on certain elements...but I think they struck a good balance.

Personally I think 8-12 year olds needs to be the target, not 5. The storyline is meant for a 5 year old, but the playing is a bit more sophisticated with the swap force missions and jump. Time for players to bring their A game.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 01:23:11 22/01/2014 by GhostRoaster
blueruckus Green Sparx Gems: 419
#7 Posted: 01:39:16 22/01/2014
The cutscenes are used in place of loading sequences. I've played this game on PS3 and Xbox One and the load times are pretty fast on the latter. Rufus' suggestion speech when loading into Woodburrow every time is annoying, yes.

Personally, I've been enjoying going back thru content on Nightmare mode and working on high scores and completion. Honestly, this is the most played game on my Xbox One since we got the console in November. My 3 year-old is way in to Skylanders so I guess that's extended the enjoyment I get from the game too.
#8 Posted: 01:39:47 22/01/2014
Quote: newkill

What about the dialogue skipping? Eh? If that doesn't annoy you at all you are very patient. What about the un-skip able dialogue, Rufus, Magic Circle lecture in Chapter 3, pirannha lecture in chapter 3, watching pointless cutscenes while inside levels, there are tons of those things! This is not about the loading cutscenes (and you can pause those anyway) but the forced dialogue WITHIN LEVELS which is slow to skip that you need to skip every single time you play... It's not there for any good reason. Just getting rid of Rufus would make me want to play the game more often, I hate being forced to listen to him every time I play, and the game doesn't load that fast either, it takes ages to just play a little session between all the yapping and loading which discourages me from playing... And that is a HUGE ISSUE because the bulk of the replay value comes from replaying the game with new Skylanders.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 01:41:09 22/01/2014 by Arc of Archives
kaosmumishot Emerald Sparx Gems: 3271
#9 Posted: 04:02:45 22/01/2014
Quote:

Loading icon for me, at least I know why I am waiting then.

The issue I have, as I've mentioned before, is trying to get the extra tick for No Damage in some of the boss battles. It takes me a lot of attempts to get these and each time I seem to get a little closer, but the time it takes to reload the chapter if you do get the slightest hit is infuriating. Surely in 2014 it can't be that hard to program the game so I can just quickly hit 'Retry' when I get hit, rather than waiting forever through annoying dialogue. Mesmeralda's just kills me, listening to her rabbit on over and over again after some stupid puppet clips Shroomboom because he popped up at the worst possible moment!

Quote:
Seriously? Nightmare on this game is MUCH harder, and some of the late level jumping is going to make the game impossible for some kids.

I think the difference between Nightmare mode on this game and Nightmare on Giants is really noticeable. It seems MUCH hard in Swap Force, which is great, I like a challenge.

Quote:
On par with SSA and better than Giants.

I still put Spyro's Adventure in front of Swap Force, but I agree it's definitely better than Giants. I think it has a lot or replayability.

Quote:
well, this game would've been better.
the missions are to long and boring, not like the previous games.
and the game was aimed at 10+ year olds, now pretty much 5 year olds.
i pretty much play once or twice a month and always regret it.
agree???

I can't say that I do. I would rather more shorter chapters, but in relation to the age it's aimed at, well it's a video game and all video games are for children. Whether it's aimed at a 5 year old or a 10+ is irrelevant to me, as I am much, much older than 10. If you're over the age of 17 and still playing video games you should feel free to feel childish regardless of which game you're playing.
artican Blue Sparx Gems: 501
#10 Posted: 04:58:14 22/01/2014
Well for me and my sin the cut scenes give me a chance to either rest my hands from controller get a drink or goto the restroom. Or just talk about what we just did and how we can get more items we missed.They don't bother me at all played many other games that just sit there and you don't know if your froze or if the game is ever going to continue.
gsizzle Green Sparx Gems: 272
#11 Posted: 05:50:01 22/01/2014
Once a month or so, I end up buying two new Skylanders and my 8 and 7 year old daughters, and myself, end up playing through the game once more.

We are starting to play on harder difficulties as they upgrade Skylander abilities and going back to three star every level as well.

As an adult, I sometime find it a bit tedious to play through again - primarily due to the inability to skip lots of the in level speech/cut scenes. However, I don't find it boring at all. If a Skylander seems too weak, we'll Sky Diamond up and power upgrade quickly (which my 8 year old calls cheating).

Ultimately, it's a kids game. It's not surprising it feels like it's meant for a 5 year old. With that said, I think any one who buys this has a pretty good idea of what they are getting in to at this point in the franchise.
---
smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
gsizzle Green Sparx Gems: 272
#12 Posted: 05:52:52 22/01/2014
I must add that, even after getting a Wii U with Super Mario 3D World, New Super Mario/Luigi, Lego City Undercover and Lego Marvel - my kids still want to go back to the PS3 every weekend and play some Swap Force.
---
smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
SennyBonku Blue Sparx Gems: 673
#13 Posted: 12:09:48 22/01/2014
For me the game is very repetitive. If someone wants to max out the characters, it now becomes a pain in the back. Seriously, we had Heroic Challenges AND Quests before, but completing them alone was much quicker, than going 25 times through some level (I play on Wii so the box in Woodborrow doesnt work) to open the lock and finish Tech Skylanders quests. With a clock in hand, it takes more than an hour ALONE! And not to mention about all the other tasks and leveling a figure up to the 20.

Honestly, they could've tought about something better. Doing Heroics in previous games was much more diverse and before you've completed them for one Skylander, you were feeling like you're ready for more. Now... I just turn the game on to see how te new chars acts and then turn it off. It really becomes disappointment.

Yeah, it has tons of unlockables, but when we look at the aspect HOW we can complete them (Open 40 or so Giants Chests, which is equall to going 40 times through levels) it really disappoints.

And yes, maybe kids finds it enjoyable, but hey - the game is targeted to more than just 5 years old and seriously, they didnt put much effort with the diversity and ways to keep players in front of screen.

I also wouldnt go so far to state "All video games are for children". Some maybe yes - but many have aspects solely targeted to older players as well (for example Pokemon). Besides, tell me that 5 y.o. kid plays GTA with full approval of its parents and I will laugh. In other words - I disagree to use this argument only to excuse lack of creativity.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 13:11:23 22/01/2014 by SennyBonku
GigaCamo Emerald Sparx Gems: 4288
#14 Posted: 13:27:55 22/01/2014
I think the story is for 5 year olds but Mario is for 5 year olds and we don't complain about that so why should we complain about the story here?
Sunny Castanets Gold Sparx Gems: 2231
#15 Posted: 17:50:16 22/01/2014
I'd hardly say Mario is for five-year olds.

Putting ages aside because I think they're entirely irrelevant, I do agree with the sentiment that the levels just felt too long. I much preferred the shorter, faster-paced levels of the original game.
---
Quote: Tashiji
Sunny, as always, you are so darn smart.
wreckingballbob Emerald Sparx Gems: 4565
#16 Posted: 17:55:21 22/01/2014
I do think the story is too childish but the gameplay and other things are awesome!
---
Baron Sharpfin Green Sparx Gems: 417
#17 Posted: 18:22:32 22/01/2014
Hmmm, Well, I love the long levels. The only thing I don't like is RUFUS >;(
---
smilie Fear the Fish
#18 Posted: 18:49:02 22/01/2014
Quote: SennyBonku
For me the game is very repetitive. If someone wants to max out the characters, it now becomes a pain in the back. Seriously, we had Heroic Challenges AND Quests before, but completing them alone was much quicker, than going 25 times through some level (I play on Wii so the box in Woodborrow doesnt work) to open the lock and finish Tech Skylanders quests. With a clock in hand, it takes more than an hour ALONE! And not to mention about all the other tasks and leveling a figure up to the 20.

Honestly, they could've tought about something better. Doing Heroics in previous games was much more diverse and before you've completed them for one Skylander, you were feeling like you're ready for more. Now... I just turn the game on to see how te new chars acts and then turn it off. It really becomes disappointment.

Yeah, it has tons of unlockables, but when we look at the aspect HOW we can complete them (Open 40 or so Giants Chests, which is equall to going 40 times through levels) it really disappoints. It's hard to enjoy the hard work they put into the environment when I have to suffer this both intragame in intergame dialogue and content. Yes I know it's not a movie...it's all in game...blah blah...don't care, once I've seen it...I'm done.

And yes, maybe kids finds it enjoyable, but hey - the game is targeted to more than just 5 years old and seriously, they didnt put much effort with the diversity and ways to keep players in front of screen.

I also wouldnt go so far to state "All video games are for children". Some maybe yes - but many have aspects solely targeted to older players as well (for example Pokemon). Besides, tell me that 5 y.o. kid plays GTA with full approval of its parents and I will laugh. In other words - I disagree to use this argument only to excuse lack of creativity.

I definitely understand the criticism here...my only deviation is that I've personally not gotten to that point yet in playing the game, and I did find the repetition of Heroics more or less the same you talk of Swap Force now. I think they tweaked some things for the better, but some of the re-playability issues are still there. Totally agreed on the "kid's game" stuff though--although I think VV made the mechanics more sophisticated and difficult for the adept player...in my mind I'd actually like to play the levels more along with the bonus missions, but they did that one thing...that one bone headed thing that kills it...

The bone headed thing in my mind was the forced re-viewing of dialogue...both before Woodburrow and Woodburrow itself. Rufus must die! I think Flynn was right--Dufus is more appropriate. I know it's not pre-rendered, and it's all in game...but c'mon guys...I'd like to see the developers and testers go back and complete the quests and three star everything while being force fed this...it makes quick play sessions impossible. How hard could it have been to have an option to control this? Oh how I long to avoid the Acti and VV screens, hit three buttons and you're off. Oh what could've been. They even made mistakes in PVP by constantly re-intoducing characters on the portal that weren't changed to make everything longer...ugh. 10 PVP wins should take 7 minutes or less...not 15.

Tweaking of the formula is still required...too many figures and not enough content to make the journey last 9 months. It becomes a grind fest after a while. Yes I am saying if they want thousands between game and toys the damn thing should last that long from an entertainment perspective! Oops, my bad...it's a kid's game smilie
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Edited 14 times - Last edited at 19:02:41 22/01/2014 by GhostRoaster
DeamonsGate Red Sparx Gems: 96
#19 Posted: 19:20:00 22/01/2014
Not much of a fan of the forced viewing of scenes but I can over look it as long as my children aren't complaining about it. I've got a good age range of kids in the house that all enjoy different aspects of the skylander genre. My 7 and 10 year old girls like certain characters(Jolly Bumble Blast, Trigger Happy, Sprocket and Gill Grunt) and doing the swap challenges. They may argue from time to time over who is doing the challenge but they still play. My 15 and 17 year old sons just like blowing stuff up and blowing through the levels as fast as they can to open everything up for the girls. But they do spend time getting their figures to max lvl and getting their quests done. As for me and my wife, we just like to chill doing a mission every once in a while, nothing hardcore.

I do like how you could skip the cut-scenes in Spyro's Adventure and Giants.

I wish they would bring back the Heroic Challenges to complement the Bonus Missions. You don't have to chase after every skylander in Swap Force since they aren't required for unlocking different Heroic Challenges.
lordexodus Gold Sparx Gems: 2508
#20 Posted: 19:20:49 22/01/2014
Personally, the "boring" part of it all is the "waiting period" of releasing new Waves. Still to this current time as we continue to be patient, there is no accurate info on the release of Wave 4 & the unreleased variants...
---
Need accurate & evident release info on Skylanders Imaginators...
crocko33 Blue Sparx Gems: 685
#21 Posted: 19:41:32 22/01/2014
I am enjoying the long levels but wish if there could be more checkpoints. My daughter is 7 and unless she has about 40-45 minutes of play time, I have to advise her to just do some arena levels or bonus missions -- by the time the game starts up, she gets through the dialogue and then starts working through the actual level she needs that much time to get to the halfway point.

Honestly, it's about the same for me when I am trying to gather everything, visit all areas, and complete swap zone challenges. Does really make it tough to just play story mode for a quick 20-30 minute window.
---
55 out of 80 Skylanders -- Activate account = crocko33
Tigorus Emerald Sparx Gems: 3589
#22 Posted: 20:17:26 22/01/2014
Personally I haven't found anything about Swap Force boring. There are things that annoy me but nothing bores me. I'm also taking my time this time around. I'm beating a level or two on nightmare, Three staring an Arena Challenge, Bonus Mission or Swap Zone or just p.v.p.ing with my daughter. I want something to do with a new figure as they come out. Nightmare is fun as well as challenging. I just finished three staring the Arena challenges and will three star the bonus missions once wave four is out. I HATE the Rufus crap in Wood Burrow but don't mind the cut scenes for level loading. I'd rather have a load screen than listen to Rufus one more time.

In regards to the childish content, I think it's here to stay. It would be nice to see the franchise grow up a little but from a financial stand point they have more to gain with new younger fans than trying to keep up with fans that are getting older. Think about it. How much legitimate competition is their in the younger market...not much. Pokemon, Mario pretty much target 8-14 while Skylanders wants, and get's, them as young as five and hopes for 8-12. Then you look at the teen to adult market and that's pretty well saturated. Until recently, with D.I., Skylanders had no competition and Disney is actually dropping the ball on that. Nightmare mode is a great draw for teen and adult players to get more life out of the game as well as provide a challenge.

In a few weeks (like two I think) we will find out what the next big Skylander toy is and after Swap Force they raised the bar pretty high. Let's hope they can improve and refine their game and give us something better.
NINJAsk11 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1124
#23 Posted: 20:21:03 22/01/2014
Quote: Baron Sharpfin
Hmmm, Well, I love the long levels. The only thing I don't like is RUFUS >;(

Ugh Rufus....please don't start about him or I'll rant about it for a whole page!
Tel Prydain Blue Sparx Gems: 903
#24 Posted: 20:29:05 22/01/2014
Quote: SennyBonku
For me the game is very repetitive. If someone wants to max out the characters, it now becomes a pain in the back. Seriously, we had Heroic Challenges AND Quests before.

We really didn't.
The bonus missions are just a new batch of Heroic Quests, just with the bonus shared rather than individual.
---
My collection: 98/99
Photos: http://s1298.photobucket.com/u...rary/Skylanders
Looking for: smilie
Zylek Yellow Sparx Gems: 1920
#25 Posted: 21:46:44 22/01/2014
Quote: lordexodus
Personally, the "boring" part of it all is the "waiting period" of releasing new Waves. Still to this current time as we continue to be patient, there is no accurate info on the release of Wave 4 & the unreleased variants...

Nailed it there for my kids. I guess getting the wave 2 guys so quick, via TRU waiting in line, was a bad thing because that meant a HUGE lull until new characters came out. I saw Stink Bomb at Target last week and bought him for my kids, they thought he looked cool but weren't interested enough to even want to play the game with him.

The same thing happened with Giants but I think it happened much later in the cycle. I just hope they do something to extend the longevity of the game beyond granting the "gift" of being able to play the same levels again but this time with a different character.

I bought all the characters from SSA and SG and I know for a fact that we will not be buying any more characters for SSF (Sans the Sheepwreck Island Pack) because they offer very little "newness" and if the current trend continues Skylanders 4 will nerf all the previous characters in an attempt to get you to buy the new "more powerful" ones.
---
Anyone know where my avatar is from?
#26 Posted: 22:53:58 22/01/2014
By the way, I bought this up in another topic, I just feel like one of the big issues with SF is that it doesn't feel rewarding. Heroics in the last game: your Skylander was given epic stats and could steamroll anything. Quests this game: a measly 75HP reward that probably won't even matter in Nightmare Mode.

Make me pick between doing SF's Quests and Giants' Heroics on every last toy... I will pick the latter any day, they take way less time and give you a way better reward. I know it's about the journey- not the destination- but when "the journey" is grinding on a game I've replayed dozens of times...

Portal Master Rank, though? That doesn't have an epic reward, but getting stars on everything is actually fun to waste time on, as opposed to the horrible grind Quests are. (I still think this could have been implemented better, though.)
#27 Posted: 23:08:35 22/01/2014
Quote: Arc of Archives
By the way, I bought this up in another topic, I just feel like one of the big issues with SF is that it doesn't feel rewarding. Heroics in the last game: your Skylander was given epic stats and could steamroll anything. Quests this game: a measly 75HP reward that probably won't even matter in Nightmare Mode.

Make me pick between doing SF's Quests and Giants' Heroics on every last toy... I will pick the latter any day, they take way less time and give you a way better reward. I know it's about the journey- not the destination- but when "the journey" is grinding on a game I've replayed dozens of times...

Portal Master Rank, though? That doesn't have an epic reward, but getting stars on everything is actually fun to waste time on, as opposed to the horrible grind Quests are. (I still think this could have been implemented better, though.)

O.k. but here's the real question...does it matter. Ultimately do the stats justify the time. Here are some numbers (YAH numbers) for you. If you took all SSA and all Giants and did the heroics that would be 2,304 heroics for some stats. WOW I don't know about you but that would make my eyes bleed. If you got your wish and the added heroics to SF then that would make it 80 heroics total. Now if you did the SSA and Giants heroics then that would only leave 1024 heroics to run on the new guys assuming you didn't want to run the new heroics with the old Skylanders. If you were new to the franchise that would be 6400 to get the heroics for all the Skylanders both old and new. If you wanted to run the new Skylanders and get the old Skylanders the new heroics that would be 3584 heroics to run...That sounds like too much fun. The old way of doing heroics isn't practical going forward. They gave us Charms, Legendary Treasures and Sick Hats...How many more stats do we need? Plus I have an actual question in all of this. Once your stat line hits the wall do you gain the additional stat bonus beyond your max? If not then all this matters even less.
Sboy13 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3172
#28 Posted: 23:19:08 22/01/2014
I basically agree with all the things about cut scenes and dialogue. It's rather annoying to have to watch the cut scene and go through dialogue every time you play and not be able to skip it right away. It's a good thing I'm a very patient person; and you don't know how much I hate Rufus. I cringe every time I have to hear him...
---
Purple dragon.
#29 Posted: 23:23:09 22/01/2014
Quote: Sboy13
I basically agree with all the things about cut scenes and dialogue. It's rather annoying to have to watch the cut scene and go through dialogue every time you play and not be able to skip it right away. It's a good thing I'm a very patient person; and you don't know how much I hate Rufus. I cringe every time I have to hear him...

The sad part is, he serves NO PURPOSE. If it was Wheel Lock, Avril or Eon telling me to go see them directly, it would still be annoying but it was make some kind of practical since. Rufus doesn't do or contribute to anything other than fraying my nerves.
#30 Posted: 23:27:18 22/01/2014
My point is that these Quests are no better than Heroics. I don't get why people aren't bringing that up. Next game there will be tons and tons and tons of Quests to do on every Skylander, if you're new, just like Heroics are now. Certain Quests alone take an hour to do!

The stats you get from it don't matter so it's more worthwhile to just ignore them, sure, but if you put the effort in they SHOULD be a good reward. The stats you got from Heroics didn't matter that much, because the game is pretty easy anyway, but it was cool seeing your Skylanders so powerful and getting rewarded for every little challenge done. If you go out of your way to do every Quest on your Skylander there should be a good reward for it, but right now they're just pointless and horribly implimented. They're far more frustrating than Heroics ever were.

And why complain if doing them is pointless? Because I want my Skylander to be the best it possibly can(I bet that's the reason people who hated Heroics sat through those too :eyeroll: ). Plus... Y'know... Completionism. In SF it just doesn't feel rewarding to put the effort in at all, even less so than Heroics. Plus, WE CAN CRITICISE THINGS THAT ARE POORLY IMPLIMENTED EVEN IF THEY CAN BE AVOIDED! You could completely skip Heroics, but that doesn't make criticism towards them invalid, does it?

My point is the way Quests are now NEEDS TO BE FIXED. The reward for going out of your way to do them is pathetic and the actual process is painful grinding. I'm not saying Heroics weren't the same (by the time you do them all you'll be sick of the game and probably not use those stats lol) but the reward they offered was much, much more noticeable at least.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:28:07 22/01/2014 by Arc of Archives
#31 Posted: 23:39:49 22/01/2014
Quote: Arc of Archives
My point is that these Quests are no better than Heroics. I don't get why people aren't bringing that up. Next game there will be tons and tons and tons of Quests to do on every Skylander, if you're new, just like Heroics are now. Certain Quests alone take an hour to do!

The stats you get from it don't matter so it's more worthwhile to just ignore them, sure, but if you put the effort in they SHOULD be a good reward. The stats you got from Heroics didn't matter that much, because the game is pretty easy anyway, but it was cool seeing your Skylanders so powerful and getting rewarded for every little challenge done. If you go out of your way to do every Quest on your Skylander there should be a good reward for it, but right now they're just pointless and horribly implimented. They're far more frustrating than Heroics ever were.

And why complain if doing them is pointless? Because I want my Skylander to be the best it possibly can(I bet that's the reason people who hated Heroics sat through those too :eyeroll: ). Plus... Y'know... Completionism. In SF it just doesn't feel rewarding to put the effort in at all, even less so than Heroics. Plus, WE CAN CRITICISE THINGS THAT ARE POORLY IMPLIMENTED EVEN IF THEY CAN BE AVOIDED! You could completely skip Heroics, but that doesn't make criticism towards them invalid, does it?

My point is the way Quests are now NEEDS TO BE FIXED. The reward for going out of your way to do them is pathetic and the actual process is painful grinding. I'm not saying Heroics weren't the same (by the time you do them all you'll be sick of the game and probably not use those stats lol) but the reward they offered was much, much more noticeable at least.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you don't mind the crazy ass system just as long as the carrot is rewarding enough? Also I skip quests entirely, mainly for the points you listed. Fundamentally I liked Heroics in that they added something unique to that Skylander (was it really unique if I could do it with everyone...smilie) if I put in the effort. I created another thread about my suggestion as to how to fix Heroics so I won't repost it here. The quest system now just seems so arbitrary and unrewarding for the time spent. I do agree that it needs fixing.
uttster13 Gold Sparx Gems: 2701
#32 Posted: 00:17:11 23/01/2014
I guess I don't mind the cutscenes as much of the dialogue; it's better than watching a circle go round and round. The things they talk about though, well ,that is just really annoying. The dialogue is pointless! And one of my most hated things in the world is Rufus's speech! (It ranks a hardy number three right after Potato Worms and War.) VV screwed up on not being able to skip the dialogue and speeches.
---
A story.
Zylek Yellow Sparx Gems: 1920
#33 Posted: 00:28:16 23/01/2014
Heroics were supposed to be an individual thing and it's effects were supposed to be carried forward, thus strengthening the bond with the toy and making the toys to life deal seem more real. The system they made in SSF isn't individual based and cannot be carried forward unless I'm mistaken. The devaluing of the "individual" characters is what concerns me, DI's system is much worse as far as strengthening the toy-bond but Skylanders seems to moving backward instead of forward.
---
Anyone know where my avatar is from?
#34 Posted: 01:53:21 23/01/2014
Quote: Zylek
Heroics were supposed to be an individual thing and it's effects were supposed to be carried forward, thus strengthening the bond with the toy and making the toys to life deal seem more real. The system they made in SSF isn't individual based and cannot be carried forward unless I'm mistaken. The devaluing of the "individual" characters is what concerns me, DI's system is much worse as far as strengthening the toy-bond but Skylanders seems to moving backward instead of forward.

Bolded comments....bingo for me. I thought that was THE POINT of it all...to carry it forward. Giants did honor that as your figure from SSA showed the stuff you did and had instant stat rewards CARRIED FORWARD. Yes the stats themselves were nerfed but at least you had a starting point.

Only thing I've seen for all my hard work is a pathetic looking quest icon for my quests but absolutely no reward carried forward for Heroics...it's like they don't exist. Major slap in my face. Instant demotivate for even trying to do quests this time. I get that trying to give you stat improvements for content not in the game is problematic...but in my mind---they need something that can build from the work on the previous game instead of ignoring it. Sorry gang...moving over my upgrades, gold and level isn't enough.

The star diversion will provide me some amusement, but building my army makes sense when they don't instantly deflate on the next franchise entry. I can imagine even this +75 max health from doing quests will be wiped away on #4.

Quote: Tigorus
They gave us Charms, Legendary Treasures and Sick Hats...How many more stats do we need?

I think the point isn't that we need stats but those that chose to do them should have the work put into them honored in the subsequent game. I prefer not to use hats because it ruins my skylander's look but now I'm forced to since that's the only way now to better my lander. Don't even get me started about my raging Legendary Treasure that gives me a whopping +2 on speed. Bottom line: we had choices...and now the choice was removed and previous achievements were not honored. This portal master wants to kick Master Eon in the shin, if his unearthly spirit had one.
---
Edited 10 times - Last edited at 02:06:32 23/01/2014 by GhostRoaster
#35 Posted: 02:12:46 23/01/2014
Quote: Tigorus
They gave us Charms, Legendary Treasures and Sick Hats...How many more stats do we need?

Quote:
I think the point isn't that we need stats but those that chose to do them should have the work put into them honored in the subsequent game. I prefer not to use hats because it ruins my skylander's look but now I'm forced to since that's the only way now to better my lander.

On this point I agree. The reward for the effort is jacked up. You know how I feel about a solution to this but I'm wondering if something new and entirely different needs to happen here. Should there even be a stat increase for quests/heroics? How about a damage increase? How about an origin story for each Skylander as a heroic? Would you be o.k. with 20-30 minutes of content per Skylander instead of a stat? Or do you want something that makes that Skylander special? In your case I know you want the "toys to life" experience, and let's face it that's what we were sold. I like this idea as well but they need to change how it's acquired and what you are rewarded with. I never felt heroic doing the Heroic Challenges and quests are pointless to me.

I totally disagree on the hat front though. Some hats are awesome. Most of my Skylanders have the Obsidian Helm. Plus some hats totally fit. Rubble Rouser looks sick with the miner hat. Rattle Shake actually changes hats to match what you equip him with.
#36 Posted: 08:27:57 23/01/2014
I would enjoy it if the personal quests gave a better bonus than just the generic 25 HP each time. I wish they allowed for more specialization. Maybe allow you to choose which stat you wanted to boost.
kaosmumishot Emerald Sparx Gems: 3271
#37 Posted: 09:58:38 23/01/2014
Quote:
Besides, tell me that 5 y.o. kid plays GTA with full approval of its parents and I will laugh.

Not all children are 5, but all video games are inherently childish. It's not a criticism, unless I am being critical of myself.

But moving on, I don't understand why we need to have dialogue/cutscenes in SF to play while the game is loading. We didn't really have this in the first 2 games did we? Or did we and it wasn't annoying enough to notice? I seemed to be able to replay a chapter much quicker in the first 2 games, or is it just that SF is a lot more resource intensive?
#38 Posted: 10:41:31 23/01/2014
Quote: kaosmumishot
Quote:
Besides, tell me that 5 y.o. kid plays GTA with full approval of its parents and I will laugh.

Not all children are 5, but all video games are inherently childish. It's not a criticism, unless I am being critical of myself.

But moving on, I don't understand why we need to have dialogue/cutscenes in SF to play while the game is loading. We didn't really have this in the first 2 games did we? Or did we and it wasn't annoying enough to notice? I seemed to be able to replay a chapter much quicker in the first 2 games, or is it just that SF is a lot more resource intensive?

I didn't play SSA or Giants, but just looking at them in comparison to SF, yes, it's a newer engine with shinier graphics. From what I'm told, the levels are larger too, so I would assume there would be a lot more resourcers being loaded.
WarHammer Green Sparx Gems: 264
#39 Posted: 12:29:35 23/01/2014
Sorry if this has been covered but:

To avoid repeated viewing of the cutscenes: Go to the next person to start the next mission. When they ask, "Are you ready?" Simply reply "No". They will say something along the lines of "well, when you are ready come see me".

This had removed the forced scenes from my game completely! I can now do anything I'd like, and when I come back to wood'B I don't have to listen to any of the characters babble on about something I've heard a 1,000 times already.

This is on the Xbox 360, and it's done wonders for my sanity lol

I hope it works for you as well!
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10050
#40 Posted: 16:44:22 23/01/2014
Quote: kaosmumishot

I fail to see how Shadow of the Colossus,Bayonetta or another games of that kind are in any way childish.Some immature,yes,but never childish.
I'd add something to this thread,but I haven't played SF enough to know how grinding goes in there and I repeated my points about how the game is bad so many times I'm not even going to try to argue with those who are repeating the same things I've seen several times in this board.Just the usual; graphics don't make the game,story and gimmicks make immersion impossible,levels are larger but also are in smaller number than the other games,so that shouldn't really be a good thing unless someone compares the time it takes to beat all 3 games.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
#41 Posted: 19:37:26 23/01/2014
Quote: WarHammer
Sorry if this has been covered but:

To avoid repeated viewing of the cutscenes: Go to the next person to start the next mission. When they ask, "Are you ready?" Simply reply "No". They will say something along the lines of "well, when you are ready come see me".

This had removed the forced scenes from my game completely! I can now do anything I'd like, and when I come back to wood'B I don't have to listen to any of the characters babble on about something I've heard a 1,000 times already.

This is on the Xbox 360, and it's done wonders for my sanity lol

I hope it works for you as well!

Ahh I see...kind of a fake start trigger. I'll try that now on my PS3.---and it works! Wow this has to be the best tip ever! The big question now is---when the game is complete, does Dufus yak? If he does...that isn't avoidable, is it?

Quote: blueruckus
I would enjoy it if the personal quests gave a better bonus than just the generic 25 HP each time. I wish they allowed for more specialization. Maybe allow you to choose which stat you wanted to boost.

I'd like a mixture of general quests for ALL to accomplish which all provide global stat increases and perhaps a PERSONAL quest that is content specific (maybe even tied to a generation of character) and you'd be able to choose the reward. This would only work if they can start re-using their assets game to game...as we've seen keeping around old Adventure sets isn't happening, so I doubt this will fly either from a longevity perspective.
---
Edited 5 times - Last edited at 21:46:06 23/01/2014 by GhostRoaster
Pop Thorn Green Sparx Gems: 408
#42 Posted: 01:03:15 01/02/2014
I agree. It's boring. Too easy. A three year old could complete it. Not like the last two games. SSA was the best. It had 22 levels and 26 including the adventure packs. This has only 15 and 17 including the adventure packs. They say they made "better graphics" but I don't know how a Kaos with a head that looks like paper is good graphics.
---
I am probably forgotten by now, but bye.
#43 Posted: 02:43:42 01/02/2014
14 if you don't include boss battles.

I don't get it gang. There's actually more to do here than in previous games. It's actually additive. The lock puzzles was innovative...whereas SG just leveraged the same type of lock puzzle as before. We got generally more things, but the execution is a bit off. They lost in some areas, and hit it out of the park in others.

Where's the dungeon? Icky monsters? Big Spiders?

If anyone can type a good sentence here, you should complain about general complexity. But that's what happens when you say a game is built for kids smilie

Maybe we need a slightly more grown up toys to life franchise to emerge.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 02:45:23 01/02/2014 by GhostRoaster
pyro16 Green Sparx Gems: 260
#44 Posted: 03:15:55 01/02/2014
Quote: GhostRoaster
Maybe we need a slightly more grown up toys to life franchise to emerge.

A part of me really wishes Dota 2 or League of Legends had done this from the start. I love Skylanders but it is a little bit embarrassing collecting them as an adult smilie
Failinhearts Gold Sparx Gems: 2376
#45 Posted: 14:04:43 01/02/2014
I did not find the game boring, except one thing that drowns the experience a bit,

I DONT CARE ABOUT YOUR STUPID BONUS MISSIONS RUFUS LEAVE ME ALOOOOONE!
---
SSA: 37/37. SG: 61/62. SSF: 73/75 STT: 42/78
Have left this forum, who knows if I'll come back...
A believer of Jesus Christ
LightSpyro13 Blue Sparx Gems: 861
#46 Posted: 22:35:19 01/02/2014
I actually kinda enjoy the longer levels, the ones in past games could be beaten in like 10 minutes. The length of gameplay still isn't spectacular, but I think it has more lasting appeal than the past games. The cutscenes are very annoying and the SWAP Force guys feel too gimmicky for me, but the game has kinda improved from the last game in a lot of other ways. I especially love the new characters.

It still didn't actually reach my expectations though, I found anticipation more entertaining than the game itself. There still isn't any online multiplayer, toys are still expensive (even more than before), the roster is still heavily unbalanced, and there are too many characters in the game for me. It's still a great game, but not as much as it could've been.

Funny thing: SWAP Force has become a tad less popular and Skylanders didn't perform as well as it did it Giants. Maybe parents fatigued or its mainly because of competition from other games. Maybe some of these people actually did get bored with Skylanders already.
---
Fins, of fury!
Pop Thorn Green Sparx Gems: 408
#47 Posted: 22:41:42 01/02/2014
I like the game except one thing. The boss battles. They are waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too easy. Super Evil Kaos just threw gear golems at you. Kaos in that big machine threw really hard to defeat evil skylanders at you (especially evill chop chop) and at the same time had a HYDRA. Don't even get me started on how easy the Glumshanks boss battle is.
---
I am probably forgotten by now, but bye.
pennyman Gold Sparx Gems: 2106
#48 Posted: 22:42:59 01/02/2014
wish I could skip Rufus too!
pyro16 Green Sparx Gems: 260
#49 Posted: 23:05:42 01/02/2014
Quote: LightSpyro13
I actually kinda enjoy the longer levels, the ones in past games could be beaten in like 10 minutes. The length of gameplay still isn't spectacular, but I think it has more lasting appeal than the past games. The cutscenes are very annoying and the SWAP Force guys feel too gimmicky for me, but the game has kinda improved from the last game in a lot of other ways. I especially love the new characters.

It still didn't actually reach my expectations though, I found anticipation more entertaining than the game itself. There still isn't any online multiplayer, toys are still expensive (even more than before), the roster is still heavily unbalanced, and there are too many characters in the game for me. It's still a great game, but not as much as it could've been.

Funny thing: SWAP Force has become a tad less popular and Skylanders didn't perform as well as it did it Giants. Maybe parents fatigued or its mainly because of competition from other games. Maybe some of these people actually did get bored with Skylanders already.

I think it is mainly the Disney Infinity competition. I'm actually worried that game will sink this new category of toys meets games, or hasten its demise, because it is simply just not as fun or cool as Skylanders but grabbing just as much money, in a way that it might give the 'ripoff' arguments on the genre more credence. I picked it up and it feels off in capturing the magic… and it is way more tuned towards spending more money, and getting less fun in return IMO.

Disney Infinity basically was able to match Swap Force's sales in its first outing: http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/...3-million-units

If you think about the timing of it, it came out in the Summer and you can imagine a lot of parents of kid Skylanders fans picking up Infinity while their kids are getting sick of waiting for the new Skylanders. Picking up Infinity or Skylanders is buying into a platform though and very quickly costs hundreds of dollars. So I think Infinity captured a ton of Skylanders parents and kids and fans, and though I doubt the game and experience itself impressed them as much as Skylanders, I imagine it really ate into family budgets for the year, and I bet a lot of kids were told towards Christmas that Swap Force was out of the question. I can't imagine many parents being cool with going full out on both Infinity + Skylanders smilie Super expensive proposition!

But man, I mean I love Disney and Pixar movies and characters, but as a game and experience Skylanders is so much more superior to Infinity…**Hopefully the overall pie is growing enough to sustain a healthy future for both franchises, and I do hope Infinity 2 tightens the fun and magic significantly, and pushes Skylanders to be the best it can.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me