Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Site Help and Suggestions > Don't Advertise, yet advertise still?
Page 1 of 1
Don't Advertise, yet advertise still? [CLOSED]
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#1 Posted: 00:20:36 26/11/2013 | Topic Creator
So, I've wondering about something for a while now. I sent a PM to dark52 about it, but apparently, got no response from him. I know the Forum Rules mentioned that advertising is against the rules and all, but certain users like pennyman are allowed to advertise their content as they please.

If this is the case, I think there should be a minor change in the Don't advertise rule so other users won't get confused. Like, users aren't allowed to advertise, but official game journalists are able to, but to a minor extent like only advertise their videos.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:22:43 26/11/2013 by Aura24
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9026
#2 Posted: 00:27:35 26/11/2013
I don't have exact posts to quote, and someone's welcome to correct me, but apparently putting links to YouTube videos that belong to you in posts, signatures, and/or your guestbook are... acceptable. However, I believe making a topic to solely advertise a channel or video is still a violation. Although, if you're showing off a video of, say, a rare collectible or something similar, I don't see a problem with it.

But I do admit the rules are... vague. We really ought to rewrite them. ^.^;

I'm probably not the best person to comment on this though since I tend to poke into the Skylanders section as often as the werewolves are on the prowl. <.<;
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:27:49 26/11/2013 by HIR
MoonHorizons Gold Sparx Gems: 2826
#3 Posted: 00:30:30 26/11/2013
Dark might have to ban the whole site if we were going by the "no advertising rule" because this site is a big gigantic ad for Spyro the Dragon.
---
the more obscure your favorite cartoons are, the more refined your taste is
Arc of Archives Yellow Sparx Gems: 1486
#4 Posted: 07:28:44 26/11/2013
I've seen a few topics about users putting up YouTube videos, like the topic for Skylanders 101 that was in the SF section a little while ago.

I wouldn't be annoyed, but I don't trust that if someone less known did the same that they wouldn't get it censored, honestly. >.>

Simple solution: staff member makes official, dark-approved "post your YouTube channel" topic. "Advertising" channels outside of topic results in a deleted/edited post.

... I also think that those three Skylander 101 topics need to be merged. ...
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 07:29:34 26/11/2013 by Arc of Archives
#5 Posted: 08:58:53 29/11/2013 | Topic Creator
I know that pennyman is the only known user who is allowed to advertise his videos on here without being mentioned about it, since I've witnessed dark removing some user comments about pennyman advertising.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Matteomax Platinum Sparx Gems: 5378
#6 Posted: 16:49:02 29/11/2013
I agree. The rules are quite vague. People don't understand what the definition of "advertising" is. I've told plenty of users that buying, selling, or trading is against the rules, and they just ignore me.

On the flip-side, pennyman is quite helpful to some users.
SkylanderKids also advertise quite a bit, but I guess that's OK too, since they're so popular.
---
Will still be checking the forums every now and then!
Bravo101 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1482
#7 Posted: 18:04:13 29/11/2013
I don't really think putting up YouTube videos is advertising.

And, I don't see how this is THAT much of a problem.
gillgrunt987 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7386
#8 Posted: 21:53:39 29/11/2013
It kind of is advertising, as people are advertising their Youtube channels by telling them to go watch their videos or check out their channel. As Aura said, pennyman is probably the only one allowed to advertise on the forums(Youtube channel). Also, when you think about it, you don't want tonnes of users advertising their deals and not sticking to the board discussion(e.g Swap Force). It clogs up space where people could actually be having a conversation on a topic or it could just go around the forums. People would maybe (maybe) even spam their advertising across the forum and others would label them as "spammers". Basically, advertising isn't a big thing on the forums, but it could still lead to some issues. So there.
---
I can survive scalding hot coffee and being whipped for 24 hours a day. Digestive biscuits or riot.
BahamutBreaker Yellow Sparx Gems: 1191
#9 Posted: 07:49:43 01/12/2013
I think the best way to make the distinction is that it's not allowed for one to advertise that one is actively trying to sell or trade through the forums here.

Linking YouTube videos that advertise a channel or a freebie/giveaway contest really is different. I can see how some people might get confused or feel like that sets a "double standard", but I don't know if those people can be helped easily.

The bottom line is to prevent users from selling and trading openly on the forums. If you advertise that you're selling something specific, seeking a specific item to buy, or that you want to swap/trade with people, then you're breaking the rules.
---
"Who was harmed here---some six year olds who went to bed crying because there's no Enchanted Trap Shadow?"
#10 Posted: 23:10:44 22/12/2013 | Topic Creator
I notice recently that some users are getting a little annoyed that pennyman is advertising his videos a lot lately on several topics.

I think at least an admin or a mod should point out something about pennyman actually being 'allowed' to advertise what he wants due to being a journalistic figure, or whatever, here.
---
gillgrunt987 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7386
#11 Posted: 18:23:39 23/12/2013
Any specific areas of the Skylanders topics?
---
I can survive scalding hot coffee and being whipped for 24 hours a day. Digestive biscuits or riot.
#12 Posted: 18:35:08 23/12/2013 | Topic Creator
Mostly in the Merchandise and Swap Force sections.
---
DummyZ Gold Sparx Gems: 2844
#13 Posted: 20:09:29 23/12/2013
Are these advertising posts the only posts he makes?
#14 Posted: 20:16:41 23/12/2013 | Topic Creator
Sometimes he doesn't advertise and actually makes comments. Most of the time he does advertise with videos of his own that relates to the topic at hand, sometimes ending his posts with links to his youtube channel (which is also posted on his signature).
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:21:15 23/12/2013 by Aura24
wreckingballbob Emerald Sparx Gems: 4565
#15 Posted: 20:23:38 23/12/2013
So he can post a video of a Skylanders gameplay but other people can't?

That isn't really fair.

I mean if it a new Skylander and new info I would understand.
---
DummyZ Gold Sparx Gems: 2844
#16 Posted: 21:00:11 23/12/2013
Quote: Aura24
Sometimes he doesn't advertise and actually makes comments. Most of the time he does advertise with videos of his own that relates to the topic at hand, sometimes ending his posts with links to his youtube channel (which is also posted on his signature).

If the vast majority of his post are just advertising, then it's a high chance his account's only purpose is to advertise. Which indeed would be breaking the rules, if you ask me.
#17 Posted: 02:23:14 09/01/2014
Quote: wreckingballbob
So he can post a video of a Skylanders gameplay but other people can't?

That isn't really fair.

I mean if it a new Skylander and new info I would understand.

Pennyman is officially partnered with Activision. He works on the Boomcast videos.

SkylanderBoyandGirl are also partially with Activision.
---
#18 Posted: 02:46:35 09/01/2014 | Topic Creator
Getting featured numerous times makes you partnered with Activision?

Still, dark should update his Forum Rules altogether, or at least make it clear who can advertise freely.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:50:09 09/01/2014 by Aura24
#19 Posted: 03:33:46 10/01/2014
Gosh I just want to say seeing comments that are purely video plugs is just annoying. Been happening more and more lately. It feels like those comments contribute absolutely nothing to topics and are like spam... Vent over...

I think the forum rules are still ok but a rewrite would help... He definetly needs to be more clear in the rules page (and not just comments on the forum that nobody will ever spot) about what exactly constitutes "advertising", though :/

Also, I think there should be a rule for "make sure to post your topic in the right section", with clarifications for the use of the different sections. There's a lot of topics that belong in Toys and Merchandise- about the figures and hunting for them- getting posted in the forums for discussing the games. (I'm not sure if this is what was intended, but I see it as that TaM is for discussing the toys and releases, while the other Skylander forums are just for discussing the games[and issues with toys that are game-specific... that's a bit harder to "draw a line" on, but it's still fairly easy to tell if you just use your head].) Plus there's an option to report a topic in the wrong section so there should probably be a rule about it too.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 03:51:33 10/01/2014 by Arc of Archives
#20 Posted: 12:07:03 10/01/2014
Getting featured numerous times makes you partnered with Activision?

Still, dark should update his Forum Rules altogether, or at least make it clear who can advertise freely.

SkylanderBoyandGirl are very popular with Activision, and they've featured them in their Boomcast videos, twice. Plus "Skylander Dad" (their father) has even been invited to Viicarious Visions studios to preview SWAP Force.

Not to mention that loads of younger users on here absolutely love them.
---
#21 Posted: 19:58:49 12/01/2014 | Topic Creator
So anyone who is popular with Activision gets to advertise their videos as much as they please?
While normal users, like dwartzdrummer, get their posts removed for advertising?
---
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8470
#22 Posted: 04:09:11 13/01/2014
Do they pay Dark?
#23 Posted: 07:16:32 13/01/2014
This doesn't seem very fair.

If someone can do it why not everyone? I guess we would be overloaded with videos.

I think it depends on the video though.
---
#24 Posted: 22:19:57 13/01/2014
Quote: somePerson
Do they pay Dark?

Of course not.
---
theuone Platinum Sparx Gems: 6184
#25 Posted: 00:06:45 14/01/2014
Quote: Matteomax
I agree. The rules are quite vague. People don't understand what the definition of "advertising" is. I've told plenty of users that buying, selling, or trading is against the rules, and they just ignore me.

On the flip-side, pennyman is quite helpful to some users.
SkylanderKids also advertise quite a bit, but I guess that's OK too, since they're so popular.

yeah, its a bit vague to me when I read the no advertising rule. maybe Dark52 needs to give more detail to it, cause when I posted about reading my stories on the personal thoughts topic in the stuff and nonsense forum, I was told that was considered advertising. it didn't seem like advertising to me.
---
On board Spyro Reignited hype, Choo choo!
Thanks to BlackWing116 for the Chimera drawing
Metaphorical phantom here, Blame everything lol.
#26 Posted: 23:47:06 14/01/2014
I once saw Pennyman post an ad on Stuff & Nonsense.
#27 Posted: 13:00:07 25/02/2014
It happened again. //forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=98987

Really, it'd be nice to see the rules more detailed so that these things are less confusing. Same in regards to hacking discussion, while I don't think that's as much of an issue, it'd still be nice to have that cleared up a bit.

Detail: What is "advertising"? What kinds of "advertising" are acceptable? Why are certain kinds of "advertising" disallowed? Right now the easiest thing to do is undoubtedly just avoid trying to self-promote your content/talk about trading or talk about hacks in general but it is annoying that there are double standards on these things and the details are just so murky. These should be in the Forum Rules page so that more members see and understand these guidelines. It's not going to stop all rule-breaking, which would just be impossible, but it would be helpful to clear things up and it's better than nothing.

I'm not a mod or anything, obviously, but I'm allowed to give feedback right? smilie I dunno if dark is lazy or busy but I'm sure detailing some parts of the rule page a little more wouldn't be THAT difficult, plus it seems to me that he generally doesn't communicate much on these forums now and doesn't have anyone to do it which I think is a little poor.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 13:02:57 25/02/2014 by Arc of Archives
wspyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 4422
#28 Posted: 13:24:29 25/02/2014
Quote: Arc of Archives

Quote: dark52
There are exceptions to every rule. ;)

Dark confirmed to accept bribes.

I'm joking!

But if there's "exceptions ;))))))))))", then the lovel-...the guy should tell us what they are.

I can't believe how I can't control my urge to laugh when saying this.
bionicle2809 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8438
#29 Posted: 14:17:23 25/02/2014
I think the 'exception' in this case was the fact that it was a charity/fundraising event.
#30 Posted: 18:39:05 25/02/2014 | Topic Creator
Well instead of keeping this to himself, which he obviously does most of the time like a recluse, dark should tell us what those "exceptions" are. It's really dumb that he's keeping all this detail just to himself and not informing his community of the changes. Seriously, his communication skills is low when it comes to certain forum issues and he only tends to the young Skylander fans.

"Hey this guy's advertising. But look, he's a member of TFB or someone associated with Activision, so he is free to advertise whatever he wants even if it's rule-breaking, but I'll call this an exception without making changes to the No advertising forum rule or the Rules themselves in general."
---
Edited 5 times - Last edited at 19:26:59 25/02/2014 by Aura24
#31 Posted: 00:21:25 26/02/2014
Maybe you have to be partnered or work for TFB/Activision?
#32 Posted: 17:43:45 26/02/2014 | Topic Creator
Let's just face it, dark52 now only tends to Skylanders and Skylanders only, no changes in Forum Rules unless Skylanders is involved. He has poor communication skills unless the subject talks about Skylanders.

This needs to happen -

[User Posted Image]
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 09:01:43 11/03/2014 by Aura24
#33 Posted: 07:01:40 19/03/2014
wdrumz posted path videos on many topic but they weren't removed.

I post Punk Shock's paths on one topic and they get removed for advertising.
---
#34 Posted: 07:07:00 19/03/2014 | Topic Creator
Wdrumz is getting stuff from Activision like the skykids and coinoptv. I'm guessing dark is allowing them (and likely others who are also getting stuff from Activision, or have connection to them) to only advertise.
---
#35 Posted: 07:11:46 19/03/2014
Wdrumz is getting stuff from Activision like the skykids and coinoptv. I'm guessing dark is allowing them (and likely others who are also getting stuff from Activision, or have connection to them) to only advertise.

He even put the videos in topics that weren't necessarily to do with their paths.

//forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/vi...ic=91434&page=7 This was PVP.

//forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=99721This topic was about Freeze Blade and Trap Shadow not Scratch.

//forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=99304 This was about Wave 4 packaging.

//forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/vi...ic=94612&page=2 This was upgrade path recommendations but he didn't recommend anything.
---
#36 Posted: 20:48:53 19/03/2014 | Topic Creator
Well that would be out of place advertising then.
---
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me