Page 1 of 1
Older packs becoming fragile [CLOSED]
Matteomax Platinum Sparx Gems: 5378
#1 Posted: 16:37:38 22/04/2013 | Topic Creator
To everyone who owns boxed S:SA figures: If the figures are old, BE CAREFUL, the plastic bubble can break off due to the age of the glue. I held an old Bash 3-pack, and the entire bubble fell off.
---
Will still be checking the forums every now and then!
wreckingballbob Emerald Sparx Gems: 4565
#2 Posted: 18:15:51 22/04/2013
What is a Plastic Bubble
---
#3 Posted: 18:41:56 22/04/2013 | Topic Creator
The plastic packaging..
---
Seiki Platinum Sparx Gems: 6072
#4 Posted: 19:11:15 22/04/2013
I actually experienced this in store with a series 1 Stump Smash single. I picked it up and the carboard backing kinda fell off of the plastic bubble. Was kind of a shock to have the package just fall apart in my hands.

Hadn't thought about it's age being a factor and was rather curious how someone could open it so perfectly to not tear any part of the backing.
---
Once in my dreams, I rose and soared. No matter how I'm knocked around or beaten down, I will stand up restored.
niceguy1 Blue Sparx Gems: 532
#5 Posted: 00:40:38 23/04/2013
I think this might be what you're talking about, not long ago I got a figure (new from store, though who knows how long they had it), and the glue keeping the plastic on the cardboard just.. let go... having less stickiness left than masking tape. I was ecstatic to be able to open it so cleanly, but it felt disturbing that it was held together so weakly. Wish I could remember who it was, but pretty sure it was a Giants pack since I haven't gotten any SSA packs in months, since finding the Lightning Rod SSA Triple Pack in the first week of January (though it might have been that pack, though it feels more recent).

Weird, though, I have a Sonic Boom I never removed - didn't get around to it, until me and my nephews realized we got a kick out of playing her still in the package - and her packaging is still holding together fine. And it's gotten a little battered, the cardboard starting to curl and such. I used to keep her across the top of my SSA soft case (I think the highest capacity case I've seen, the top unzips down to organize your portal and 8 elements to play with), but now it's too full to also include Sonic Boom. I got her last summer, so pretty old by now.
---
SSA- smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
SG- smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilieLCsmilie
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#6 Posted: 02:19:42 23/04/2013
Quote: Matteomax
To everyone who owns boxed S:SA figures: If the figures are old, BE CAREFUL, the plastic bubble can break off due to the age of the glue. I held an old Bash 3-pack, and the entire bubble fell off.

I ordered some from Gamestop and they arrived almost unhinged. I think it's simply a sloppy packaging job -OR- these things have been stored in conditions that might have helped contribute to this.

They've clearly fixed this for Giants as the new design makes this much less likely.

I'm still curious for an answer for the type of glue to re-attach. My unattach was 100% clean (which leaves me to believe someone did a crap job).
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 02:22:01 23/04/2013 by GhostRoaster
Seiki Platinum Sparx Gems: 6072
#7 Posted: 02:24:10 23/04/2013
Quote: GhostRoaster

I ordered some from Gamestop and they arrived almost unhinged. I think it's simply a sloppy packaging job -OR- these things have been stored in conditions that might have helped contribute to this.

They've clearly fixed this for Giants as the new design makes this much less likely.

Not neccessarily. I found one just this last weekend that came apart of it's own accord when I picked it up in the store. It was a Series 2 GiTD Sonic Boom. It is possible someone tried to open it and steal it, but it was a rather clean sepearation as I recall.
---
Once in my dreams, I rose and soared. No matter how I'm knocked around or beaten down, I will stand up restored.
#8 Posted: 02:32:38 23/04/2013
I'll be on the lookout...I've handled literally hundreds of these things and I recall sometime in early 2012 seeing a SSA character fall apart in my hands when I picked it up--haven't seen it on Giants mdse yet.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
zookinator Platinum Sparx Gems: 5694
#9 Posted: 13:14:08 23/04/2013
I once looked at a s1 bash, and the back of it just fell off. I was surprised, so I just put it back, and gone out of the store.
---
Skylanders Colosseum Clash
A Fanmade Skylanders Boardgame
Hot Dog 542 Gold Sparx Gems: 2872
#10 Posted: 19:26:44 23/04/2013
Quote: zookinator
I once looked at a s1 bash, and the back of it just fell off. I was surprised, so I just put it back, and gone out of the store.

You have magic eyesight. When you look at stuff they fall apart.
---
Quote: Bimle
Why is it that so many people have hardons for dogs?
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 04:10:53 24/04/2013 by Hot Dog 542
#11 Posted: 02:38:35 24/04/2013
No, I really just picked it up by the back, then it just fell off. It would be pretty funny to have that type of eyesight though smilie.
---
#12 Posted: 15:12:14 24/04/2013
I have Adventure Packs at my Best Buy literally for the past year that was coming apart--these guys simply stapled it back (packaging looks like crap) and is the reason why it's not sold.
---
#13 Posted: 01:38:56 25/04/2013
If any are Darklight Crypt, buy them anyway, I suspect even in that condition they could still fetch a pretty price, LOL!
---
SSA- smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
SG- smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilieLCsmilie
#14 Posted: 22:15:45 25/04/2013 | Topic Creator
I accidentally hit my Camo against my table (where my figures are displayed), and his plastic bubble partially came off! I was pissed, but I glued it together fine.
---
#15 Posted: 23:41:17 25/04/2013
I keep my boxes and I glue them together after taking the figs out. So my boxes probs won't break any time soon. smilie
---
CommanderGame Emerald Sparx Gems: 3610
#16 Posted: 00:27:08 26/04/2013
When I touch a skylander it turns into skittles D:
#17 Posted: 01:06:25 26/04/2013 | Topic Creator
^ TASTE THE SKYLANDER
---
Ninpire Gold Sparx Gems: 2951
#18 Posted: 02:24:30 26/04/2013
i just open the box......
#19 Posted: 05:00:05 26/04/2013
Quote: CommanderGame
When I touch a skylander it turns into skittles D:

^ TASTE THE SKYLANDER

Made me literally LOL. smilie
---
#20 Posted: 06:22:08 26/04/2013
I felt my S1 Ignitor bubble and my Fright Rider bubble on their boxes and Ignitor's is quite soft. Fright's was still strong.
---
CommanderGame Emerald Sparx Gems: 3610
#21 Posted: 11:39:23 26/04/2013
^ TASTE THE SKYLANDER

FEEL THE ELEMENT
#22 Posted: 01:05:45 27/04/2013
....BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! I am going to get the Skittles touch *snicker* and I am going to touch every single Skylander in the world *laughs evilly* and keep the ones I want *nearly bursts* and I don't have to worry about variants! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

On topic: My guess on why the packages fall apart is because the glue becomes brittle.
---
GamingMaster_76 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1271
#23 Posted: 06:55:11 18/05/2013
My Target has about six Series 1 Drobots with no backing

They tried to stick them back on using tape

Needless to say, someone confused the backings... And put a Flameslinger cardboard on the back of one of them. wtf how do you even mix those two up

Anyway, the backing on the back of my mum's Pearl Hex broke off. We just opened it. She likes having a rarer figure now.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 06:56:13 18/05/2013 by GamingMaster_76
stitchmaker Blue Sparx Gems: 769
#24 Posted: 00:18:19 02/06/2013
The newer ones are falling apart already. Alot of people handle the characters while using the display to see what they do. Some stores over cram the shelf with characters. Customers have to handle them to find the ones they want. Flashwing was making a noise whwn I picked her up. Her wing was broken.
Skylanders fan Emerald Sparx Gems: 3952
#25 Posted: 02:43:54 02/06/2013
My Ignitor a werd are still fine
---
Yep still around just not posting much anymore
stitchmaker Blue Sparx Gems: 769
#26 Posted: 21:27:55 04/06/2013
Walmart Canada had abunch of old Skylanders today. Camo, dinorang, Hex, Lightning Rod, Zook were on the shelf.
Nice to see for those missing the first 2. Maybe activision is going to release all their leftover stock finally.
mario7604 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1013
#27 Posted: 10:55:30 05/06/2013
Quote: stitchmaker
Walmart Canada had abunch of old Skylanders today. Camo, dinorang, Hex, Lightning Rod, Zook were on the shelf.
Nice to see for those missing the first 2. Maybe activision is going to release all their leftover stock finally.

At Kmart Australia, these above have been here for nearly half a year now collecting dust.........
---
YAY! I BLUE SPARX! Specials:
S:SA: all sidekicks, WERDS smilie Chase GITD smilie
S:G smilie GITD smilie smilie smilie AE smilie smilie smilie smilie
Kevin16 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4524
#28 Posted: 15:37:46 21/06/2013
LOL sunday i got the LC 3 pack and i had this problem too smilie
---
what even is this site anymore lmao
NINJAsk11 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1124
#29 Posted: 17:06:21 21/06/2013
all of the pag's of my smilie's are out of use, i had to throw them all waysmilie(not the toys themsELFs but still)
HotDogAndZap Emerald Sparx Gems: 3531
#30 Posted: 17:32:38 21/06/2013
I saw a GITD Sonic Boom at my Walmart that had the bubble fall, and it was just dangling off the peg. smilie
NINJAsk11 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1124
#31 Posted: 18:12:18 21/06/2013
^you had to take em!
GamerZack7 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1709
#32 Posted: 05:43:46 01/07/2013
I've been picking up sets of Skylanders for the past month after being absent from the franchise for a while, and I too was surprised at the ease of access. Even some of the Giants Triple Packs and Battle Packs had this glitch! Oh well, I'm just pleased I was able to find loads of Skylanders on my list at Target and Kmart stores. Easy opening's just the icing on the cake.
Quote: NINJAsk11
(not the toys themsELFs but still)

AH! I get it! smilie
---
MY SUPERCHARGER SKYLANDERS
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie | *smilie* | smiliesmilie*smilie*smiliesmilie | smilie | smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
*Currently absent*
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me