Page 1 of 1
Fun Ways To Shake Up Gameplay? [CLOSED]
scratchking22 Blue Sparx Gems: 725
#1 Posted: 22:09:18 13/04/2014 | Topic Creator
It feels like a waste because I have a ton of Skylanders and never play the games (SSA and Giants because I've beaten them many times and Swap Force cause it was boring after one playthrough). Any fun ways to shake up gameplay?
---
~ Clinton/Kaine 2016 ~
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#2 Posted: 22:13:44 13/04/2014
Story mode is just one aspect of the game. Gotten every star? time attack and score mode all 3 starred? 3 stars on Swap Force challenges on Nightmare mode? 3 starred all of the co-operative survival sessions? Outside of that...yeah...you're stuck. Hope they have something to provide more incremental value / replayability in #4. As it stands now not sure why I need to buy another plastic toy.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:14:17 13/04/2014 by GhostRoaster
bilbobagins3 Gold Sparx Gems: 2869
#3 Posted: 22:30:05 13/04/2014
For characters who don't have the ability to switch paths it can be strangely satisfying to reset a character and play some survival with their other upgrade path. The Sky Diamond makes it feel like way less of a grind, and I found a few characters whose other path I enjoyed way more, and likely would have never tried otherwise. Bumble Blast in particular comes to mind.
---
I collect way more than just Skylanders and other video games, check it out.

http://ryanwm1.filmaf.com/
Arc of Archives Yellow Sparx Gems: 1486
#4 Posted: 01:58:18 14/04/2014
Why not try to get some records on Survival or Time/Score Attack? //forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=97595

Nightmare Mode run using just one Skylander? Try running through the game again with just a designated team?

Something a la the Nuzlocke where you'd pick random Skylanders to go through the game with, reset them to Level 1, nickname them, give them a hat, and if they die then you can't use them for the rest of the run? (Which is something I've wanted to try for a while but I'm just taking a break from the games right now...) Pick your least favourite that you own from each Element and try that challenge?

Have you played the 3DS games yet? If you have a 3DS that's an option, not that much to do in them, but at least it's some new content. I don't know about SF, but the first two 3DS games are cheap enough now to get them easily.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:00:15 14/04/2014 by Arc of Archives
Unreallystic Emerald Sparx Gems: 3054
#5 Posted: 12:50:57 14/04/2014
For me, I don't have everything 3 starred (on purpose - was waiting for the rest of the figures and then I just didn't have time to play), but I'll go to my 'Landers stand, grab one of each element, and then switch eleemnts everytime the 'this element is strong here' thing pops up. Sometimes the 8 are randoms, sometimes thematic, but I can only play with those 8 so long as I'm playing.
- Unreall
Arc of Archives Yellow Sparx Gems: 1486
#6 Posted: 15:01:28 14/04/2014
Quote:
Something a la the Nuzlocke where you'd pick random Skylanders to go through the game with, reset them to Level 1, nickname them, give them a hat, and if they die then you can't use them for the rest of the run? (Which is something I've wanted to try for a while but I'm just taking a break from the games right now...) Pick your least favourite that you own from each Element and try that challenge?

I finally decided to do this today. Just... Because. I know I said I'm taking a break from the game but I've been thinking about how fun it would be to do this challenge all day- not to replay the game, although that's part of it, but to try and create an "attachment" to these Skylanders. I've picked out my team now. Behold, my least favourites of each Element.

Swarm: Dang- I just realised how I really like all of Air... I picked this guy, but that's just because I have the least attachment to him. I actually like everyone in Air. Everyone. It actually has two of my overall favourites- Warnado and Boom Jet- and I really like everyone else, overall, it's very solid. Since I like everyone from Air and I'm doing this to get attached to my Skylanders, I figured I would give Swarm a chance to shine. Considering he's a Giant, and has humongous HP, I'm actually expecting him to be one of the best on my team.
Stink Bomb: He's so unwieldy and he's just not very fun, one of my least favourites overall(possibly least favourite entirely- at least Grim Creeper has a good design and decent personality going for him). I really don't like this guy. I hope I can get attached to him somehow. Maybe I'll make him the butt of some jokes if nothing else, because I just don't think it's possible for me to enjoy him any other way(I've already thought of a possible nickname for him that's basically just to turn him into a joke, but it has a swear word in it, so... smilie). I'll see what happens with him. He can access Sneak Zones, which could be interesting.
Grim Creeper: My least favourite Skylander to play overall- although he has a really good design and decent personality, those don't save his absolutely awful gameplay at all- so he was an obvious pick. I wonder if he'll end up surprising me? I think this is a good opportunity to give him another shot. Sadly, I think he'll just continue to suck, but maybe he'll be able to do at least something so I can like him a bit more.
Terrafin: Picking him made me realise that Earth is not as bad as I keep thinking it is. Terrafin is actually decent to me, and if that's the worst I think of Earth, it's really not bad. I used to hate him, and haven't really given him another shot properly, so I'm picking him to give him a chance to "avenge himself". I'm expecting him to actually do pretty well because he's powerful. I just wonder wether I'll really get more attached to him.
Hot Dog: a Skylander I just always forget exists for some reason. He's like Eruptor, a Skylander Acti seems to just love advertising, but he seems more bland. I really have no attachment to him, so maybe if I become attached to him he'll seem less bland?
Rip Tide: The guy I was really hyped for who I ended up disliking. This guy was a huge disappointment. I love his design and attack designs and even his personality (which is rare amongst the SF Skylanders) but his gameplay stinks. His fish-swapping gimmick really feels shoehorned in, because there's really no point to swapping fish, and it's just not that fun, and he feels like an average meleeist and nothing more. He had a lot of potential, but failed to deliver. Probably the guy I'm most curious to play with in this run, because I wanna see how my opinion of him changes, or doesn't, or if he's really that bad.
Ninjini: Just like Hot Dog, a Skylander I always forget exists. Seriously, whenever I think of Magic, Ninjini is always the last to come to my mind. Sometimes I really have to think to remember about her. I'm kind of curious to use her but I'm much more interested in trying out everyone else on this team so hopefully she surprises me or gives me a clutch victory at some point. Or she might just end up dying early on. Who knows.
Bouncer: Exactly the same as Swarm, just kind of reversed: I have attachment to him but I don't think he's actually that great. However, he's the Tech I have the least attachment to(I have a huge attachment to the whole Element), and the one I've played the least, so I just decided to go with him. I didn't play him much in SF so I'm fairly excited to play with him more.

Rules: If a Skylander runs out of HP can't use them for the rest of the run(if all die then it's just game over), HAVE to give all Skylanders some kind of hat at some point in the run, HAVE to give all Skylanders a nickname at some point in the run, playing from the start with all Skylanders totally reset(to Level 1 with no Gold, upgrades, Heroics or Quests complete), no Magic Items, can replay a beaten level infinite times(for level grinding/Gold)- also, deaths count EVERYWHERE, even if just replaying a level to grind, and even in SWAP Zones. Also, no using these Skylanders in any other game until the run is complete(so no going on the 3DS to level them, or playing them in an older game to get Gold, to cheat the death system, and no going on other SF saves to cheat either).

I'm starting a new save in Nightmare Mode tomorrow. I'm not sure if I'll post it here but I'll try to keep a journal of my progress somewhere.

#blogSpyro
Edited 5 times - Last edited at 15:12:26 14/04/2014 by Arc of Archives
wreckingballbob Emerald Sparx Gems: 4565
#7 Posted: 15:33:22 14/04/2014
I like this idea of this. I probably wouldn't reset my Skylanders but I could choose my least favourites and go through the story on Nightmare mode.

I'd probably go for...

Hoot Loop. Decent.
Sprocket. Decent.
Slam Bam. Decent but attacks are too slow.
Eruptor. Decent.
Grim Creeper. Weak.
Terrafin. Decent.
Stink Bomb. Very Weak.
Jet-Vac. Decent.
---
Unreallystic Emerald Sparx Gems: 3054
#8 Posted: 16:49:37 14/04/2014
I like the idea, but I struggle to play Swap Force...without Swap characters heh. For me though...taking Swap characters ou the equation...

Air - JetVac - no QUESTION. Long runner up is the nigh worthless Warnado wo I have yet to find a way to actually use even semi-effectively. He just looks cool.
Earth - tough one, while some of my favs are earth, some of the ones I loathe are earth. Flashwing is one of the most useless characters to me, but I can say the exact same thing for Slobbertooth and Scorp isn't too far behind either of them.
Fire - Easy, Sunburn. I like the rest of fire...except Sunburn. Feels like a watered down GhostRoaster where the best use is to spam phoenix ability.
Life - Stump Smash. Shroomboom feels like he should be it, but I find that when I actually DO play with him - he's like a weaker version of Zook - so it's NOT a bad thing.
Magic - we have a tie between Spyro - the most 'Ryu' (ha) figure of them all - and Ninjini, the hard hitting and 'nothing else' Giant. Wrecking Ball is very close to making it a thre way.
Tech - this one is hard, the lower characters for me are 'close to being fun' - Drill Sergeant is fun when I'm just going fast, Sprocket just needs to be faster, and Trigger Happy is just to overdone I'll point to Sprocket just because like am indless sheep I bought her S3 variant despite feeling she sucked in Giants.
Undead - I wsa going to say too easy - Cynder, then forgot the horror that is Grim Creeper. Just add him to the forgotten list.
Water - Slam bam. He's got potential, but is way too hard to make even semi-useful.

I think I'm going to do this heh.
- Unreall
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me