Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > Is Skylanders a true part of the Spyro series?
Page 1 of 1
Is Skylanders a true part of the Spyro series? [CLOSED]
Fooe_Returns Red Sparx Gems: 32
#1 Posted: 16:56:31 17/02/2014 | Topic Creator
Just wondering what you guys think. I don't think so, because the main focus is not on Spyro and the latest one doesn't even have him in it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
---
Signatures are overrated!
theuone Platinum Sparx Gems: 6184
#2 Posted: 17:43:20 17/02/2014
I don't believe they are, they just contain him. it would be similar to something like super smash bros, or something
---
On board Spyro Reignited hype, Choo choo!
Thanks to BlackWing116 for the Chimera drawing
Metaphorical phantom here, Blame everything lol.
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9329
#3 Posted: 18:28:48 17/02/2014
I don't know.
Tells you something when you don't even know if it's meant to be part of the same series or not.
I'm not going to bother going into the details, there's not much point.
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10259
#4 Posted: 19:31:26 17/02/2014
This topic again?
It is if you want to,it isn't if you don't want to.I consider it as a spinoff or AU,but you can think it's not because Spyro doesn't affect the plot outside the books unless you want him to.
The real problem is; does it matter if Skylanders counts in the Spyro storyline or not? Much like the 'what is a game' question,it's just a way of pushing games aside just because you don't agree with their existence.
And what the heck is with "last one doesn't even have him on it"? He got a Series 3 figure for Swap Force,and is referenced in the 3DS version of it.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
azz01 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3172
#5 Posted: 19:54:57 17/02/2014
I like to think of it like this.It is it's own independent series but it happens to star Spyro.E.g. Mario is in Super Smash Bros. but that doesn't make it a Mario game as there is other characters.SSB is like Skylanders it's own series.
---
Call me the penguin man for that is who I am. Also stan LOOΠΔ!
spyrocrash Platinum Sparx Gems: 5012
#6 Posted: 20:01:29 17/02/2014
I think it is because the games would have never been made without him(Spyro's Kingdom) and he was brought back in Giants and Swap Force.

Honestly though, its a matter of opinion. Some say the game reminds them of classic Spyro and some say it doesn't. But, I think Smash Bros = Skylanders doesn't make sense since Skylanders isn't a crossover game.
azz01 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3172
#7 Posted: 20:06:57 17/02/2014
Quote: spyrocrash
I think it is because the games would have never been made without him(Spyro's Kingdom) and he was brought back in Giants and Swap Force.

Honestly though, its a matter of opinion. Some say the game reminds them of classic Spyro and some say it doesn't. But, I think Smash Bros = Skylanders doesn't make sense since Skylanders isn't a crossover game.

Why I was trying to use SSB as an example is even though it has Mario in it,it is not a Mario game it is SSB,it's own game.LIke Skylanders,even though it has Spyro in it doesn't mean it is a Spyro game,he is just staring in it.
---
Call me the penguin man for that is who I am. Also stan LOOΠΔ!
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9026
#8 Posted: 21:07:49 17/02/2014
Well, if you want more opinions you could consult the other topic on the matter.

As to my opinion, no. Yes, it has Spyro and a lot of elements reminiscent of older Spyro games. But it never remotely focused on him. Regardless of the lore in the merchandise, the games don't even need him to serve as a focus for the story in any way. Skylanders is its own separate franchise. You can build a new franchise from the ashes of an old one. That's why Mighty No.9 even exists in the first place. And I agree with azz. Smash Bros. has Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, DK, and Bowser, but it is definitely NOT a Mario game. So, following the same logic, Skylanders is not a Spyro game. Plain and simple. >.>
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6266
#9 Posted: 16:05:36 20/02/2014
No. The focus has never been on Spyro, they admittedly only put him in as a way to give the project more attention, and after the first game he was mostly dropped from the entire thing.

The Insomniac trilogy, LoS, and the few games in between are actual Spyro games. Nothing more.
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6124
#10 Posted: 01:13:09 21/02/2014
I think so. It's definitely more like the Insomniac games than EtD or LoS ever were. Also, including Skylanders means that the Spyro franchise is a $2+ billion-making series. :D
Arc of Archives Yellow Sparx Gems: 1486
#11 Posted: 08:19:05 21/02/2014
That depends on how you define how something is part of a franchise. I can see where Razz is coming from, but to me to classify Skylanders as a Spyro game because it has Spyro and has similar themes feels too vague to me. I'm sure there are other series which have similar style to Spyro, but I wouldn't call those Spyro games. And true, Skylanders is the only one of those series which actually has Spyro, but to me it still doesn't fit. I agree with everyone saying that I don't count it as a Spyro game but more like putting a character in Smash Bros. The Legend games may not be that similar to the original games, but they actually have Spyro as the main featured character who has a prominent role in the games, which is why I see them as Spyro games over Skylanders: Spyro never had a big role in Skylanders(bigger than most Skylanders, but he wasn't a "main character" like Flynn or Kaos). Skylanders is also big enough I can't count it as a spin-off from Spyro. Ergo, to me, Skylanders is its own series.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 08:20:19 21/02/2014 by Arc of Archives
parisruelz12 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7577
#12 Posted: 15:10:58 21/02/2014
No. Skylanders is it's own series.
However, the levels design and overall story remind me greatly of Classic Spyro.
---
looks like ive got some things to do...
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9329
#13 Posted: 21:20:26 24/02/2014
I've seen of what the levels look like on YouTube, they don't really remind me of the classic Spyro levels, it seems that the classic themed levels were more funky. I don't know, it's just something about them. These levels give me different vibes.
Fooe_Returns Red Sparx Gems: 32
#14 Posted: 22:09:58 24/02/2014 | Topic Creator
Yeah, those levels were very different.
---
Signatures are overrated!
Troll Slug Ripto Gems: 2054
#15 Posted: 23:39:20 06/03/2014
Do you think so? If yes, it is. If no, it's not.

It's a spinoff game. :shrug:
dragonsoul13 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1047
#16 Posted: 00:43:39 07/03/2014
I say it is because the lore suggests it. Malefor is mentioned in the lore, as well as Gnasty Norc. Also in Spyro's backstory it says that some sort of tablet or book or something said that Spyro was destined to travel there. I shall also point out the floating islands in the final scene at the end of Dawn of The Dragon. Looks a lot like Skylands to me. However this is simply my opinion and I don't expect people to support or agree with it. Everyone has the right to think what they want.
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8733
#17 Posted: 01:17:09 07/03/2014
I would it is cannon as the back stories of certain Skylanders maintain Malfore.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me