Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > is skylanders a REAL spyro game?
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2
is skylanders a REAL spyro game? [CLOSED]
Hawaii Five o Blue Sparx Gems: 734
#1 Posted: 00:15:45 16/12/2013 | Topic Creator
i say skylanders is not a real spyro game it just has him in it. If it were a real spyro game, it would be based on mostly him instead of adding random new characters. i dont know about all of u, but i say its not a real spyro game. smilie
---
~A true artist can never create his or her GOOD creations twice, but they may create their bad ones more~
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#2 Posted: 00:32:38 16/12/2013
No, it's not a real Spyro game, since the very beginning.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9026
#3 Posted: 02:33:45 16/12/2013
I'm going to make the cliché analogy that calling Skylanders a Spyro game is like calling Super Smash Bros. a Mario game, just cause Mario is it, or calling Marvel vs. Capcom 3 a Devil May Cry game, because Dante is in it. <.<;
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
parisruelz12 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7577
#4 Posted: 02:56:53 16/12/2013
So by your logic, a character who has only been acknowledged once or twice by ONE NPC in the entire game, that automatically makes the entire series about that character.
That's like saying that the entire Sonic series has been about Mighty the Armadillo the entire time. smilie

Skylanders really isn't a Spyro game....putting a character who wasn't seen or heard of, at the time, since 2008 into a game, not even about him is more of Activisons/TfB/ I don't care who else's, way of saying "We care, have a fan service."
---
looks like ive got some things to do...
#5 Posted: 04:20:14 16/12/2013
Quote: parisruelz12
So by your logic, a character who has only been acknowledged once or twice by ONE NPC in the entire game, that automatically makes the entire series about that character.
That's like saying that the entire Sonic series has been about Mighty the Armadillo the entire time. :\

I'd make the argument Mighty is actually more popular in the Sonic fandom then Sonic is. Because he hasn't been able to be ruined by any of the 3D Sonic games. *brick'd*
---
mark879 Green Sparx Gems: 166
#6 Posted: 06:26:57 16/12/2013
Quote: SPARXisAWESOME
I don't think the Skylanders games are Spyro games at all. :> More like a crossover or something. XP

At least it's a good game. Very addictive.
---
Add me on Activate: sam634
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10259
#7 Posted: 12:44:33 16/12/2013
It's all about opinion,really. The question is,does it make a better or worse game just because it isn't Spyro or because it is? Not at all,and using 'not a Spyro game' as an excuse to say it's bad it's just silly.
For me,it's a bit of a spinoff that became its own franchise - somewhere between Kirby: Canvas Curse and Banjo-Kazooie to the Kirby and Donkey Kong franchises respectively,really. It has too much of Spyro and at the same time not enough,but that doesn't mean it can't be part of its canon in some way.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
cowpowa23 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4833
#8 Posted: 17:35:37 16/12/2013
No, not in any way.
Spyro, sparx, and Cynder are just small cameo's in it...XP
---
I am a Cow.

"Moo".
Crystal Diamond Sparx Gems: 8043
#9 Posted: 17:48:59 16/12/2013
Nope, I believe they put Spyro in it to attract Spyro fans to the game, and newer fans. (But for the most part it never really worked out that way.)
Though, it can't possibly be considered a Spyro game, just because he's in it. I never played the game myself, but seeing some videos on the game, Spyro is not the main character.
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#10 Posted: 19:41:22 16/12/2013
From an old SSA interview: http://www.kidzworld.com/artic...adventure-qanda

Kidzworld: It's been three years since the last Spyro game. What made you want to revisit him?

Alex Ness: We thought Spyro was a cool character from a great franchise. The series has been around for a long time and was generally skewing older and older and we wanted to reintroduce Spyro to a younger audience, kind of the way the original game did way back in 1998.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
azz01 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3172
#11 Posted: 20:48:36 16/12/2013
Well I think it is what HIR said.Next thing you know some of the skylanders will get their own games.Hopefully not.
---
Call me the penguin man for that is who I am. Also stan LOOΠΔ!
#12 Posted: 20:49:39 16/12/2013
Quote: Crystal
Nope, I believe they put Spyro in it to attract Spyro fans to the game, and newer fans. (But for the most part it never really worked out that way.)
Though, it can't possibly be considered a Spyro game, just because he's in it. I never played the game myself, but seeing some videos on the game, Spyro is not the main character.

No one is the main character but the player itself,at least in SSA and a bit of Giants.It's the thing about the game made of different characters to play as,none of them stand out on the story(though Spyro stands out in the book series) but the person controlling all of them - the Portal Master. But considering how the game is about choosing the heroes that save the day,if one wants Spyro or any other character to take the lead,it can happen,it just doesn't matter who it is.
---
Darchangel Blue Sparx Gems: 627
#13 Posted: 21:27:28 16/12/2013
I seem to recall the people who made the game stating that it was not a Spyro game.
---
>N< "Everyone knows I'm in over my head."
I'll Start Trying In September
theuone Platinum Sparx Gems: 6184
#14 Posted: 22:16:45 16/12/2013
I most certainly think that the skylanders aren't spyro games, and I do think that they should bring back Spyro, Cynder, and Sparx for more games with those three.
---
On board Spyro Reignited hype, Choo choo!
Thanks to BlackWing116 for the Chimera drawing
Metaphorical phantom here, Blame everything lol.
Felines Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10223
#15 Posted: 23:42:04 16/12/2013
Well, I agree with what mostly everyone has said here. Skylanders is NOT a Spyro game, it's just a completely different franchise that used an already existing character to give it a bigger promotion. Spyro is getting less and less important with each game now that the Skylanders franchise is getting much more popular.
---
Real friends will be there... when you need them the most.
spyrocrash Platinum Sparx Gems: 5012
#16 Posted: 00:12:25 17/12/2013
I think Skylanders is a Spyro game because it does have elements from the previous games(Portals,Sheep,playable allies, similar characters, ect). Not considering it main series, but a spinoff like the many Megaman games that have different versions of the protagonist. I guess you could say I'm going with the "That's in the eye of the beholder".
#17 Posted: 02:07:18 17/12/2013
It may look like a Spyro game, but I doubt it is. Classic Spyro has a story. Then The Legend of Spyro came, completely rebooting the series, with a completely different story and different characters, asides from Spyro and Sparx. And now Skylanders includes Spyro with a backstory that includes both Classic and Legend Spyro stories, as if both happened in the same timeline, which of course, doesn't make any sense.
---
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6124
#18 Posted: 13:08:31 17/12/2013
I'm a minority here, but I think Skylanders is a real Spyro game, moreso than the Legend trilogy even. Unlike the Legend games, Skylanders shares a lot in common with classic Spyro titles: bright colors, a simple but fun story, well-populated worlds full of unique characters, fun music, meant to appeal to an audience of all ages but focused on kids, bright and fun level designs... I can go on quite extensively with this. In contrast, the only thing LoS shares with the older Spyro games are some character names.
SamXala Gold Sparx Gems: 2398
#19 Posted: 14:58:35 17/12/2013
My opinion:

IT IS NOT PART OF IT! Maybe it has some element from the classics and TLoS series, but it doesn't feel like a Spyro game. The storylines are boring, the characters aren't funny, the levels and the games are extremely linear, the gameplay is very repetitive and Spyro doesn't say a word, it's like a vessel or something.

In other words, I haven't see a new Spyro game since 2008
---
O_0 Holy Cow!! I'm a Gold Sparx!
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9329
#20 Posted: 20:55:09 17/12/2013
Quote: SamXala
My opinion:

IT IS NOT PART OF IT! Maybe it has some element from the classics and TLoS series, but it doesn't feel like a Spyro game. The storylines are boring, the characters aren't funny, the levels and the games are extremely linear, the gameplay is very repetitive and Spyro doesn't say a word, it's like a vessel or something.

I haven't seen a new Spyro game since 2004, lol.
#21 Posted: 22:52:06 17/12/2013
Quote: Razz
I'm a minority here, but I think Skylanders is a real Spyro game, moreso than the Legend trilogy even. Unlike the Legend games, Skylanders shares a lot in common with classic Spyro titles: bright colors, a simple but fun story, well-populated worlds full of unique characters, fun music, meant to appeal to an audience of all ages but focused on kids, bright and fun level designs... I can go on quite extensively with this. In contrast, the only thing LoS shares with the older Spyro games are some character names.

Uh, I don't know about anyone else, but that sounds to me like you're describing a "spiritual successor." Sure, a game can share a lot in common with its source material, but if it's not focusing on the same character(s) and universe(s), it's a spiritual successor and not the genuine article. It's not a bad thing to be a spiritual successor. But, by this logic, Mighty No. 9 is a REAL Mega Man game. Because it shares a lot in common with the classic Mega Man titles. ^.^;
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:38:18 18/12/2013 by HIR
Hawaii Five o Blue Sparx Gems: 734
#22 Posted: 00:32:22 18/12/2013 | Topic Creator
well to me its never been a spyro game since it came out and only because they keep adding a new character every twenty four hours and its nuts!
---
~A true artist can never create his or her GOOD creations twice, but they may create their bad ones more~
#23 Posted: 02:25:13 18/12/2013
Quote: SuperSpyroFan
My opinion:

And what about Shadow Legacy? o_0
---
#24 Posted: 02:51:27 18/12/2013
^Exactly my point. I do believe that was the last game in the Classic Spyro saga. And the ending was definitely meant to have a continue. I bet many people were expecting a sequel to Shadow Legacy and then The Legend of Spyro games. It was an ok reboot, not any better than Classic Spyro, but it was quite acceptable. And then the trilogy ends and and Skylanders is released. neither Classic or Legend Spyro. It was yet another reboot! Come on, changes are good, but I think they overdid it here. Skylanders seems like a fun game, but I would have preferred if it was a stand-alone franchise rather than include Spyro in it!
---
#25 Posted: 04:46:24 18/12/2013
Quote: Felines
^Exactly my point. I do believe that was the last game in the Classic Spyro saga. And the ending was definitely meant to have a continue. I bet many people were expecting a sequel to Shadow Legacy and then The Legend of Spyro games. It was an ok reboot, not any better than Classic Spyro, but it was quite acceptable. And then the trilogy ends and and Skylanders is released. neither Classic or Legend Spyro. It was yet another reboot! Come on, changes are good, but I think they overdid it here. Skylanders seems like a fun game, but I would have preferred if it was a stand-alone franchise rather than include Spyro in it!

Good point!
---
#26 Posted: 18:48:12 18/12/2013
Your and the other two guys' opinion,Felines. The point is,it doesn't matter if Skylanders is part of Spyro's franchise or not,because that's just a way to cover the issue that some people just can't take change or anything that tarnishes the precious little IP they don't even own. Spinoffs can be good.Spiritual Sucessors can be good. And the developers can't do as many reboots they want because it's their franchise to experiment with and their choice.And if it gets to be better than the previous one or stays just as great,awesome; just don't grasp on straws to pretend it isn't because it's not the previous one.
---
#27 Posted: 19:38:47 18/12/2013
Hmm... I think I see what you mean. However, the question is, what made them include Spyro in Skylanders? Was it because they wanted to attract old fans to it, and at the same time new ones?The developers wanted to continue the purple dragon's legacy, and at the same time introduce him to newer generation of gamers. But didn't they ever thought that if SKYlanders became so famous to the newer gamers it would overshadow the greatness of the Classic. And didn't they thought that the newer look could have disappoint previous Spyro fans? Do forgive me for the point of view, but I hate when something that is based on something original and great is overshadowed by something newer.
---
#28 Posted: 20:19:18 18/12/2013
Quote: SuperSpyroFan
My opinion:

And what about Shadow Legacy? o_0

I personally don't count the handheld video games as I don't play them, so they're pretty much non-exsistant to me.
#29 Posted: 23:19:21 18/12/2013
Hmm... I think I see what you mean. However, the question is, what made them include Spyro in Skylanders? Was it because they wanted to attract old fans to it, and at the same time new ones?The developers wanted to continue the purple dragon's legacy, and at the same time introduce him to newer generation of gamers. But didn't they ever thought that if SKYlanders became so famous to the newer gamers it would overshadow the greatness of the Classic. And didn't they thought that the newer look could have disappoint previous Spyro fans? Do forgive me for the point of view, but I hate when something that is based on something original and great is overshadowed by something newer.

Well,that's how things go sometimes - sometimes it's easier for the developers or the fans love the new things,and they never look back even if there are people who liked the old.(I'd use the way the Classic Triology ended as an example but my memory of the franchise's history is kinda rusty)
In my opinion and judging from what happened between DOTD and Skylanders, Activision probably gave the job of making Spyro profitable again to Toys For Bob even if they didn't have enough experience in big franchises to make it as loyal as it could to the previous ones, and they apparently don't even have anyone that worked on the games before SL - it would never be the same and they couldn't really hope to make a new Classic Spyro with so many known plataformer franchises around. The obvious solution is taking a new direction,and that's probably the best they could've done without pulling a Étranges Libellules(which,in my honest opinion, grabbed LOS and did whatever they felt like doing with it with little attention given to how the series already was).
And hey,considering the original plan was having Spyro as an NPC(though a major one), they probably DID notice it'd overshadow the older games, but that's what happens in society nowadays - out with the old that for whatever reason isn't as good as the shiny new trinket. Appealing to the older fans wouldn't give as much sales as appealing to new ones that will stay interested as long as they keep making new things. Toys with brains was the new thing they came up with,and Spyro wouldn't be priority with that - as I said in another thread,there's no main character in Skylanders but the person with the controller.

Though,really,I'd love if they actually put the characters in the lead sometimes. Pretty sure even the fans of Skylanders would love if there was a standalone Spyro game,with Spyro and his pals but mostly Spyro; but that would also require having,say, a mostly Chop Chop game, a mostly Ignitor game, and from them on. Try as they might,TFB and VV can't go back now without making an even bigger mess than if they continue with Skylanders on its own, Spyro will have to stay "main" character solely on the Mask of Power series for the time being or both Skylanders and Spyro won't last long.
---
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6124
#30 Posted: 23:22:11 18/12/2013
HIR: Skylanders could be a spiritual successor, but I think it's got too much of actual classic Spyro in it for that. It's not unlike YotD with all the other playable characters. For me, the Spyro games never had to focus strictly on Spyro to be part of the franchise (and in some cases, focusing solely on him made them less a part of the franchise in my mind). Like I said, Skylanders has as much Spyro in it as LoS did, moreso in fact, so it's still a Spyro game to me.
#31 Posted: 02:45:07 19/12/2013
Well Bifrost, you have some very good points there, but I still think it's unacceptable. I knew that Skylanders was a way to promote toys. The toys idea seemed like a fun idea, but it must also be a nuisance to parents. Do you know how much money all those toys plus the games must cost? And like Hawaii Five o said already, Spyro seems to be more and more forgotten with each new game. It almost feels like the developers know that the Skylanders franchise is already too popular, and they don't need Spyro as much as they did before smilie
---
#32 Posted: 02:55:13 19/12/2013
Considering it appears Skylanders now gets Call of Duty treatment from ActiBlizz, I wonder how much longer it will take before the novelty wears off... if it hasn't already. <.<;
---
#33 Posted: 15:19:27 19/12/2013

Well,that's a thing,money speaks louder. And even if TFB and VV want to make it so more people can afford it; making games is expensive and not everyone is paid enough to take risks,specially having guys like Activision as the higher-ups. And Spyro hasn't really changed throughout the series,actually the only 'forgotten' part is how he isn't in the title anymore - he's still getting a new figure every game unless they run out of ideas for new powers(and considering their last incredible idea was giving him ridiculously huge horns as an upgrade...yeah). At most,every character from SSA is being forgotten along,since Swap Force somehow had their stats overlooked and they're jarring to use compared to the newcomers.
But hey,you never know,maybe if they get the greenlight to do a spinoff game that focuses on Spyro(even if it includes other Skylanders,considering the book canon he's usually helping someone in their journey) we can actually know that if,given the chance,they can bring the old gameplay back.
---
#34 Posted: 20:49:02 19/12/2013
Well back when Spyro was finished by Insomniac Games, and by the time Equinoxe flopped Enter the Dragonfly, a new developer came about going by the name of High Impact, which are ex-staff of Insomniac, and Naughty Dog, so wouldn't it seem like a good idea for them to have a go at making original Crash and Spyro games? Since High Impact is made up of original ex-staff from both companies? Wouldn't it have made more sense?
TorchSheep Emerald Sparx Gems: 3376
#35 Posted: 22:29:23 19/12/2013
The Skylanders series is a Spyro spinoff series, that's what I think anyway.
---
"I have my own system, don't get involved"
#36 Posted: 05:34:04 20/12/2013
Quote: Bifrost

Well,that's a thing,money speaks louder. And even if TFB and VV want to make it so more people can afford it; making games is expensive and not everyone is paid enough to take risks,specially having guys like Activision as the higher-ups. And Spyro hasn't really changed throughout the series,actually the only 'forgotten' part is how he isn't in the title anymore - he's still getting a new figure every game unless they run out of ideas for new powers(and considering their last incredible idea was giving him ridiculously huge horns as an upgrade...yeah). At most,every character from SSA is being forgotten along,since Swap Force somehow had their stats overlooked and they're jarring to use compared to the newcomers.
But hey,you never know,maybe if they get the greenlight to do a spinoff game that focuses on Spyro(even if it includes other Skylanders,considering the book canon he's usually helping someone in their journey) we can actually know that if,given the chance,they can bring the old gameplay back.

I know that Spyro still appears as a character and with new upgrades each time, but the addition of characters with every single game are overshadowing him, even if he does have new powers. Even if it is another Skylanders game, I would like a game where Spyro is the main protagonist once more, instead of being helped by an overwhelming number of characters.

And now that SuperSpyroFan mentions Crash, I believe that is the perfect example of what Spyro could have been. Sure, Crash is not as popular as he use to be, and the most recent games are nowhere as good as the originals, but even though it has had considerable changes, it still follows the same storyline and Crash is still the main protagonist. I expected Spyro to be like that as well.
---
#37 Posted: 15:38:58 20/12/2013
Well,and after Mind Over Mutant being the total mess of a game despite being good old Crash,Activision is just sitting on the IP. And no,the addition of new characters in the games aren't overshadowing him alone,are overshadowing EVERYONE that was in the game before,down to the NPCs - It's a thing they have to solve and not just because of Spyro,they're killing the attachment to old characters by giving bells and whistles to new ones.
You can't really expect games to meet your exact expectations if it wasn't stated that it was going to be exactly what you thought it'd be. Developers aren't the fans,they have to make a profit and cover the ridiculous(and unfair going by Kickstarters and how some indie devs have to beg for funds if they want their game to go anywhere) cost of making a SINGLE game,let a lone a franchise. Even if they love the series as much as fans,they have the higher-ups to answer to,and the majority can't really be in touch with the fandom since you can get as much niceness from them as death threats and idiotic responses. It's been a long time since it was just a matter of sitting down and planning what would be done with the next game to make the majority happy.
---
#38 Posted: 16:49:48 20/12/2013
Well, I suppose that the only way for developers to listen to fans is if the game they released have been a disappointment in the selling department and/or if the fans insist so much. Skylanders was a big change alright and they took the risk. It turned out successful and they continued the tradition. However, as you said, the addition of new characters overshadows the previous one, but of course, they need to release new toys to increase selling and obviously, to change the gaming experience.
---
#39 Posted: 19:50:26 20/12/2013
Yup, Spyro's getting too comercialised now.
#40 Posted: 19:52:17 20/12/2013
Indeed,though having bad sales in a game can also mean the whole franchise being axed - for example,the Banjo-Kazooie franchise,which only went as far as Nuts and Bolts before the sales weren't good enough to keep it alive.The game industry nowadays is almost like gambling,and the devs are thrown in the middle trying to do what they love while still making money/doing everything the publishers want D:
---
#41 Posted: 20:40:19 20/12/2013
Hasn't always been like that? They try new things to see if they leave money, if not, they change it, unless the franchise loses it's charm.
I can accept changes. However, I do believe they went too overboard with Spyro. If you are going to change a style, do it slowly, but with Spyro, it felt like they rushed and pushed it too hard. I don't know, maybe it's because I am still a little upset on how drastically they changed the series. Too much, too fast smilie
---
Dark fhoenix Emerald Sparx Gems: 3166
#42 Posted: 22:35:43 30/12/2013
A game given a thumbs up by the great Spyro himself has advantages . This was celebrity approval advertising. Having a brand name helped to lessen the risk of selling the skylander concept .

Spyro has also profited He now has a whole new generation of skylander kiddy fans who now recognize the word Spyro and will try to buy the next Spyro game they see or perhaps even buy the old spyro games at the PS online store .

Both Skylanders and Spyro used each other . One was a risk and the other was dying .
---
Hey Skylander your health is low and we have a chainsaw
#43 Posted: 03:57:14 31/12/2013
...Well, I suppose if the new generation grows curious about the original Spyro games thanks to Skylanders, then it was very well worth it. I must say though, I believe Skylanders is far more popular than the original Spyro was back then when it was still brand new. Of course, I suppose that proves the easy advertising and accessibility to them due to the modern technology.
---
wreckingballbob Emerald Sparx Gems: 4565
#44 Posted: 08:25:38 31/12/2013
Skylanders brought me to Spyro games.
---
#45 Posted: 13:02:07 31/12/2013
Quote: BLAZn002
I really dont think skylanders is a real spyro game because on the box art for the first one he was shoved over to the side. The skylanders seires is not the best spyro games in my opinion.

Bad games don't mean they're part of a franchise,no matter what some fandoms say.Enter the Dragonfly is a big mess of a game,but no one can say it's not part of the series as much as we wish it wasn't.
---
ThroneOfMalefor Platinum Sparx Gems: 5415
#46 Posted: 18:14:00 31/12/2013
Quote: wreckingballbob
Skylanders brought me to Spyro games.

okay.
---
BREATHE AIR.
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me