Page 1 of 1
What's the difference? [CLOSED]
MLW70 Red Sparx Gems: 59
#1 Posted: 03:31:05 15/02/2014 | Topic Creator
Other than appearance, what's the difference between regular Magna Charge and Nitro Magna Charge? Do they do something different? I am really not trying to be funny, I am new to the skylanders games and really want to know. I have regular Hoot Loop, does Legendary Hoot Loop do something better?
---
Stay Cool!
eruptshake137 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1436
#2 Posted: 03:36:45 15/02/2014
They have slightly bigger stats. There's no legendary hoot loop but there is an enchanted version exclusive to walmart.
---
Prepare for trouble. Make it double.

CATS
#3 Posted: 03:39:46 15/02/2014 | Topic Creator
My bad. I knew it was something like that.
---
Stay Cool!
#4 Posted: 03:48:10 15/02/2014 | Topic Creator
So I am guessing that Scarlet Ninjini is no different than the regular Ninjini ? I can't justify get her a second time?.......
---
Stay Cool!
Matteomax Platinum Sparx Gems: 5378
#5 Posted: 03:49:52 15/02/2014
Scarlet has much higher stats. Highest critical hit out of all the Giants.
---
Will still be checking the forums every now and then!
eruptshake137 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1436
#6 Posted: 03:50:14 15/02/2014
Don't double post, just click edit.
---
Prepare for trouble. Make it double.

CATS
#7 Posted: 03:54:28 15/02/2014 | Topic Creator
Ok, sorry about that. Thank you for the info. I think I see a scarlet in my future.....
---
Stay Cool!
Kartoonkid91 Blue Sparx Gems: 730
#8 Posted: 16:17:23 15/02/2014
Enchanted Hoot Loops toys wings turn blue when exposed to sunlight in real life. It happens in game too I think.
---
Looking for: Glitter (Pearl) Hot Head, Silver E3 Spyro, E3 Hot Dog.
GamerGroovenik Blue Sparx Gems: 523
#9 Posted: 23:34:04 16/02/2014
Actually...

While in previous games variants enjoyed a slight stats advantage, they do not in Swap Force. The only difference they have in this game is cosmetic distinction from the regular versions. Hopefully this will be restored in the next Skylanders game (amongst other things).
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#10 Posted: 00:07:54 17/02/2014
Quote: GamerGroovenik
Actually...

While in previous games variants enjoyed a slight stats advantage, they do not in Swap Force. The only difference they have in this game is cosmetic distinction from the regular versions. Hopefully this will be restored in the next Skylanders game (amongst other things).

They've actually started to kill toys to life with this type of lack of modification of characters stats, removing character stats themselves in favor of legendary treasures etc. I don't mind the Swap Force model as long as they kept the previous model...blending the two would be a great compromise and give both camps what they want.

But somehow I have a feeling they are going to seriously change it up next time.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8246
#11 Posted: 00:28:46 17/02/2014
Quote: GhostRoaster
Quote: GamerGroovenik
Actually...

They've actually started to kill toys to life with this type of lack of modification of characters stats, removing character stats themselves in favor of legendary treasures etc. I don't mind the Swap Force model as long as they kept the previous model...blending the two would be a great compromise and give both camps what they want.

But somehow I have a feeling they are going to seriously change it up next time.

In what sense?
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
Arc of Archives Yellow Sparx Gems: 1486
#12 Posted: 00:41:12 17/02/2014
I heard once that Dark Slobber Tooth had an extra 10 Crit than the regular version but none of the other new ingame variants do. I haven't tested this, though.

@GhostRoaster

I see companies go into "panic mode" after fan backlash and try to make huge changes to try and gain a totally new audience sometimes. I hope that TFB/VV don't do that and instead try to understand where the criticisms are coming from and then try working on it. When I think over it I'm actually pretty disappointed with SWAP Force in what I think are certain really important aspects- they said it would be "what the fans wanted" at the reveal presentation, when in reality, it ruined major things that made the last games great: toys to life and the story.

I do appreciate it for what it is which is a game with great level design and some really clever character ideas, but it just ruined the things I enjoyed about Skylanders most and made tons of little stupid mistakes (dialogue, unbalance between old & new characters ruined power of choice) and I don't really like anything about it besides level design/some of the new characters so all the storytelling and stuff feels like extra fat. And it just feels so different from the last games- saying it's what the fans have wanted is a lie, in my own eyes- it's too different from the past games. And while I didn't want it to stay exactly the same(in fact, I think Giants was a good sequel but only for a rush-job and I wouldn't want to see them keep making sequels like that because it really just feels like an expanded/epilogue version of SA), it really does seem too different to me and that's not good either. People play a franchise and buy sequels because the franchise's strong points appeal to them. A good sequel keeps what made its predecessors great while expanding on it and changing little things here and there and adding its own twist to the franchise's basic premise. In SF the story is weak and there is so little connection with the toys. Once you've changed those two things so much, you've changed two major aspects the franchise used to have, and then it really doesn't feel like- what I personally think is- a "good sequel".

In retrospect I should have seen this coming- VV tried avoiding the issue of story in the 3DS version of SSA by including minimal story and focusing more on fast-paced gameplay, which worked great because they touted that as a different experience and it was just one of the side-games. Now they seem to be trying to emulate the console version of SA and Giants and advertised SF as something that would appeal to the fans the franchise had, but still don't seem to have a good grasp on what really made them great and seemed to be trying to get an entirely new audience instead. I did want to see certain things change and just get omitted but they made some important things too far from what they used to be, in my opinion.

Basically: I agree the way to go is adding the SF formula to that of the old one. If they're not going to bring back the old formula they should at least decide on a new one and work on making it the best they can instead of flipflopping around with new concepts to the point it becomes an inconsistent mess.

Speaking of which, this is really off-topic, so I don't think it's wise to keep ranting about it. Whoops. smilie
Edited 4 times - Last edited at 00:54:26 17/02/2014 by Arc of Archives
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8246
#13 Posted: 01:14:14 17/02/2014
Quote: Arc of Archives
I heard once that Dark Slobber Tooth had an extra 10 Crit than the regular version but none of the other new ingame variants do. I haven't tested this, though.

@GhostRoaster

I see companies go into "panic mode" after fan backlash and try to make huge changes to try and gain a totally new audience sometimes. I hope that TFB/VV don't do that and instead try to understand where the criticisms are coming from and then try working on it. When I think over it I'm actually pretty disappointed with SWAP Force in what I think are certain really important aspects- they said it would be "what the fans wanted" at the reveal presentation, when in reality, it ruined major things that made the last games great: toys to life and the story.

I do appreciate it for what it is which is a game with great level design and some really clever character ideas, but it just ruined the things I enjoyed about Skylanders most and made tons of little stupid mistakes (dialogue, unbalance between old & new characters ruined power of choice) and I don't really like anything about it besides level design/some of the new characters so all the storytelling and stuff feels like extra fat. And it just feels so different from the last games- saying it's what the fans have wanted is a lie, in my own eyes- it's too different from the past games. And while I didn't want it to stay exactly the same(in fact, I think Giants was a good sequel but only for a rush-job and I wouldn't want to see them keep making sequels like that because it really just feels like an expanded/epilogue version of SA), it really does seem too different to me and that's not good either. People play a franchise and buy sequels because the franchise's strong points appeal to them. A good sequel keeps what made its predecessors great while expanding on it and changing little things here and there and adding its own twist to the franchise's basic premise. In SF the story is weak and there is so little connection with the toys. Once you've changed those two things so much, you've changed two major aspects the franchise used to have, and then it really doesn't feel like- what I personally think is- a "good sequel".

In retrospect I should have seen this coming- VV tried avoiding the issue of story in the 3DS version of SSA by including minimal story and focusing more on fast-paced gameplay, which worked great because they touted that as a different experience and it was just one of the side-games. Now they seem to be trying to emulate the console version of SA and Giants and advertised SF as something that would appeal to the fans the franchise had, but still don't seem to have a good grasp on what really made them great and seemed to be trying to get an entirely new audience instead. I did want to see certain things change and just get omitted but they made some important things too far from what they used to be, in my opinion.

Basically: I agree the way to go is adding the SF formula to that of the old one. If they're not going to bring back the old formula they should at least decide on a new one and work on making it the best they can instead of flipflopping around with new concepts to the point it becomes an inconsistent mess.

Speaking of which, this is really off-topic, so I don't think it's wise to keep ranting about it. Whoops. smilie

I love your posts. You seem like a damn smart person. Here's my opinion.

I agree with Arc. VV missed many things that TfB did for Skylanders that made it so appealing. This may sound odd but to me if SSA and Giants were movies, I think Dreamworks Animation would be the movie company to make them while SF would be a Warner Bro's animated movie. In other words, they have a very different feel to them. I've got a good feeling about Skyanders 4 though. Since we have the new graphics engine from SF, we know that it will mostly likely have the graphics of that engine, while the story and depth of TfB, getting a great mix of both.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
#14 Posted: 01:14:36 17/02/2014 | Topic Creator
Swap force is the 1st game I have played in the series. I have just now started playing spyros adventure. I have to say that I really enjoy SW. I do think that the story seems to be a side note but I really like doing all the other stuff. I like the bonus missions, survival levels and the personal quests for each skylander. I have played a few levels of SA and the heroic challenges and while I like the game just fine and will continue to play it, I think SW is much more enjoyable. I am already at 80 and still am playing. I have not played Giants so I cannot include that in my experience.

I think the games have to evolve in order to keep current fans and future fans interested. That was why I ask my original question as to why you would buy a skylander that you already own just because the toy it's self was different.
---
Stay Cool!
#15 Posted: 02:14:58 17/02/2014
AoA: When comparing what Activision has done to the CoD series relative to what VV did to Skylanders, VV is hitting a home run. Your points are valid and noted but I don't give as much weight on the negative as you have, nor do I think you're giving proper credit to the positive things they've added to the series. (Kinda ironic I'm saying this, as I was the village crier last year). Each games have their own respective positives and negatives...overall they've added some great things and need to bring back some elements of the past---all while trying to move the franchise forward.

I repeat: the next game will flop if all they do is copy and paste the SA experience.

For me, I like darker tones/stories with more of the series lore interwoven into the game--which I do think TFB will do a better job on. I like the fact that TFB introduces much more lore into their stories and in fact DON'T answer questions related to them.

Technically speaking, VV knocked it out of the ball park. I'm three elements into my quests for my pastlanders (I've done air and life and now working on fire) and so far I've seen a pretty good execution towards previous characters, their abilities...in fact they've improved on most of them I've seen to date.

Story wise--we need to fear the antagonist a bit more (bring in minions that are dufuses if need be) and we need to see more of a struggle. It was just a trivial romp in the park in Swap Force, story wise.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Edited 6 times - Last edited at 02:22:05 17/02/2014 by GhostRoaster
Unreallystic Emerald Sparx Gems: 3054
#16 Posted: 13:38:45 17/02/2014
I can't lie...

I don't care about the plot. Moments are cool here and there, but for a game that you can fly through, and ultimately do fly through...alot, it weighs it down after a while.

I mean after a while, all I want to do is stick a figure on the portal, and explore/get stars/level up/etc.

I like what VV tried to do and don't find major fault with most of it - but them trying to separate 'speed runs' from 'points' from 'collections' from 'stars' with no heroic challenges, felt like a poor an's way of extending playablity.

As for original topic - I actually wish they handled it a bit more like Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter. These 'clones' should be similar, but have some game changing differences that fall outside the realm of 'stats'. What if Legendary Free Ranger had different blades (in game only) that had a stun component built in, but as a trade off (because I' not talking imbalance), the eye attacks have a shorter range and duration. What if Nitro Magna Charge was actually SUPER fast, but did really low damage? What if Dark Spyro actually was super effective in Magic areas AND fire ares (not like getting through gates, but like ore damage and gained health). They don't "have" to do anything like that, but if Dark Stealth Elf stayed invisible longer and had BOTH Wow pows, along with better walk speed - while regualr S3 stealth Elf, had a longer 'roll', did more damage, etc - there would be more reason to have BOTH figures.
-Unreall
#17 Posted: 16:05:51 17/02/2014
Quote: Unreallystic
I like what VV tried to do and don't find major fault with most of it - but them trying to separate 'speed runs' from 'points' from 'collections' from 'stars' with no heroic challenges, felt like a poor an's way of extending playablity.

Maybe not the best thing to do, but they did something. That can't be said in the first two games. Once you were done with story, you were DONE (with the exception of the Giants NIGHTMARE run to get a hat). Being able to compete against friends who play the game helps as well--as for me it drives you to understand the specific strategies your opponents are using.

As for original topic - I actually wish they handled it a bit more like Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter. These 'clones' should be similar, but have some game changing differences that fall outside the realm of 'stats'. What if Legendary Free Ranger had different blades (in game only) that had a stun component built in, but as a trade off (because I' not talking imbalance), the eye attacks have a shorter range and duration.
-Unreall

Totally agree. I know why they didn't do it--more work. I can see them possibly modifying EXISTING moves to increase damage, shorten duration, etc. but not new content. I think it's a good idea but again a lot of work just for a store exclusive.
---
#18 Posted: 16:07:54 17/02/2014

Maybe not the best thing to do, but they did something. That can't be said in the first two games. Once you were done with story, you were DONE (with the exception of the Giants NIGHTMARE run to get a hat). Being able to compete against friends who play the game helps as well--as for me it drives you to understand the specific strategies your opponents are using.

As for original topic - I actually wish they handled it a bit more like Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter. These 'clones' should be similar, but have some game changing differences that fall outside the realm of 'stats'. What if Legendary Free Ranger had different blades (in game only) that had a stun component built in, but as a trade off (because I' not talking imbalance), the eye attacks have a shorter range and duration.
-Unreall

Totally agree. I know why they didn't do it--more work. I can see them possibly modifying EXISTING moves to increase damage, shorten duration, etc. but not new content. I think it's a good idea but again a lot of work just for a store exclusive. What's irritating is that we at least had a standard of stat changes on the first two series of legendaries, and now they can't even be bothered doing it. It's disheartening as to the small details they are starting to lose that people appreciate and see.
---
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me