Page 1 of 1
Question - Wii U [CLOSED]
Captain Spyro Red Sparx Gems: 65
#1 Posted: 01:56:32 24/01/2014 | Topic Creator
Hello, I've been a member of this board for a while, but this has been my first post in a few years. I know, my bad. smilie

But to the point, I finally ordered Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure from an Amazon seller, and received it earlier today. I thought I had ordered the PS3 version of the game, but I found out not long after opening the package and double-checking with Amazon that I actually ordered the Wii version. I am guilty of STUPIDLY not paying attention. Geez...

Well, I have been mulling whether to return it and get the PS3 version when a question came to mind: Does the Wii version and its portal work with the Wii U? I've essentially moth-balled my old Wii and would rather not get it out just for this game.

So yeah, while I know Wii games can be played on the Wii U, does the same hold true for Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure. I'm considering keeping it AND maybe getting the PS3 version as well. There is a part of me that wants to keep playing Spyro on Nintendo consoles. smilie
---
Bob: So, what will you do next?

Spyro: I'd say the sky's the limit!
pyro16 Green Sparx Gems: 260
#2 Posted: 04:42:56 24/01/2014
Hey, so I have a Wii U and a copy of Skylanders Giants (with a portal) for it. I've been thinking on picking up a copy of Spyro's Adventure as I work my way backwards in the series and was doing some research.

From what I understand the portal plugs in and works fine with the Wii U, and it will run older Wii games in "Wii mode" which the Wii U can be booted into. There's a menu option for it in the Wii U home screen or you can hold the B button while starting the Wii U up.

You will also need to use a Wiimote + nunchuck controller, or an old generation 'classic controller' for Wii plugged into a Wiimote. The Wii U booted into Wii mode unfortunately does not support playing using the gamepad's controls. (Though it weirdly allows you to put the game's visuals on the gamepad, just not control it directly with that controller or any Wii U generation ones.)

I don't have a PS3 handy so I'm probably just going to go for the Wii version personally. The part that kills me a little bit is I think it will only be 480p resolution and really jaggy on HD TV's but I guess it should be no worse than graphics on a normal Wii, it's just an unfortunate experience for me going backwards from 1080p Swap Force and Giants on Wii U to 480p SA smilie For you it probably hinges on how much you care about 720p on your TV vs. the Wii's 480p.

That or as you mention

[User Posted Image]
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 04:44:38 24/01/2014 by pyro16
Captain Spyro Red Sparx Gems: 65
#3 Posted: 21:57:53 24/01/2014 | Topic Creator
That was exactly what I was wanting to know! Thank you sir! smilie

Might actually keep the Wii version then.
---
Bob: So, what will you do next?

Spyro: I'd say the sky's the limit!
#4 Posted: 05:13:53 26/01/2014
Man, I just randomly found out that Spyro's Adventure saw a Wii U releaseā€¦**in Japan only? So weird and disappointing!

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/34781
wreckingballbob Emerald Sparx Gems: 4565
#5 Posted: 08:27:37 26/01/2014
Quote: pyro16
Man, I just randomly found out that Spyro's Adventure saw a Wii U releaseā€¦**in Japan only? So weird and disappointing!

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/34781

Those comments...

It is fair that Japan gets the WII U version since they waited so long.
---
Kartoonkid91 Blue Sparx Gems: 730
#6 Posted: 20:08:49 29/01/2014
The Wii version stinks (not Wii U, just Wii version). It's missing tons of stuff that's in the other versions, but if I remember correctly, on the official skylanders FAQ, you can use the new portal from SwapForce with both of the older Skylanders games.
---
Looking for: Glitter (Pearl) Hot Head, Silver E3 Spyro, E3 Hot Dog.
#7 Posted: 02:53:21 30/01/2014
Quote: Kartoonkid91
The Wii version stinks (not Wii U, just Wii version). It's missing tons of stuff that's in the other versions, but if I remember correctly, on the official skylanders FAQ, you can use the new portal from SwapForce with both of the older Skylanders games.

Wait are you talking about the Wii version of Spyro's Adventure, or Swap Force? I've heard that about Swap Force but on Spyro's Adventure heard that the Wii version was the definitive/original version.
Arc of Archives Yellow Sparx Gems: 1486
#8 Posted: 08:27:11 31/01/2014
On SA I think all the versions play fine(and I've played them all). Except the PC version which corrupts Skylanders a lot. smilie

I'd say the 360/PS3 version is a somewhat better version than Wii because they have a few tweaks that improve them from the Wii version. While they also tweaked some things for the worse(most notably Lair of Kaos- which has a really stupid sequence where you basically wait around on a platform doing nothing on the PS360), I'd say the balance is better overall on PS360.

I'd say the PS360 version is my preferred version, but after playing both you can tell the game was made for the Wii first. PS360 has a couple more hiccups.

Regardless, it's nothing to get hung up on. They didn't really change any of the levels except for a couple of small sequences, so you aren't missing out on anything significant. Also, while the graphics are better, you can see screen tear on the PS360 which is not in the Wii version. This is a case where both versions have good and bad points.

I would say ideally have both versions, ONLY because SA is so cheap now. Otherwise, I would say you should have it on the PS360, but the Wii version isn't much worse and is even better in some respects.

Also, I know you can use the new SF Portal with Giants, and I'm fairly sure you can use it with SA as well(but I haven't actually tested that out).
#9 Posted: 09:53:01 31/01/2014
It's a little tempting for me to pick up another copy of SA for my semi retired 360, but I feel I might go a little crazy having another file to play through smilie

Been enjoying it so far on Wii though. The graphics are a step backwards from the HD Swap Force and Giants, but I might be enjoying it more than my Giants play through last week. Though that might be due to me trying to go for collecting everything each level on my first go in Giants while consulting Dark Spyro guide, I think that took me out of things a bit! Trying to avoid that in my initial SA play through and it's nice, just taking my time and exploring every nook and cranny on my own.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me