darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Swap Force > Interesting quirk/bug(?) with Jet soul gem
Page 1 of 1
Interesting quirk/bug(?) with Jet soul gem [CLOSED]
blueruckus Green Sparx Gems: 419
#1 Posted: 22:58:02 14/01/2014 | Topic Creator
With Boom Jet's bottom piece, the soul gem, Mach 2, adds a small frontal blast when beginning your flight/charge. What's interesting however is the damage amount on that blast depending on which path you choose.

When going with the top path, Sky Writer, the blast on Mach 2 does about 35 damage, nothing fancy but it's nice extra damage I guess. However, if you go with the bottom path, Ace Gunner, the blast on Mach 2 does 150 damage! You can spam Attack 2 and stay in place firing off the Mach 2 blast for major damage pretty quickly. It's essentially melee range so it's in no way an "I Win" button but versus something like bosses or golems, it's very strong DPS.

Neither path, Sky Writer or Ace Gunner, make any reference to increasing the damage of Mach 2 so it's very interesting that there's such a large undocumented discrepancy. It almost makes me think that this is possibly a bug. Maybe the damage formula on Mach 2 is somehow incorporating the damage from the 2 Ace Gunner rockets?
Tigerbear222 Green Sparx Gems: 358
#2 Posted: 23:30:33 14/01/2014
I have noticed that with my Ace Gunner Jet. I thought it was normal, but I am surprised that it is reportedly weaker on Sky Writer. I think it is the missiles, as long as each does:

150-35= 115

115 divided by 2= 57.5 damage each missile.

Might be some extra diddly-doo mechanism, but that's my 2 cents.
---
My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/thetigerbearman123
Arc of Archives Yellow Sparx Gems: 1486
#3 Posted: 01:02:30 15/01/2014
I noticed this playing Fire Jet a couple of days ago. It's good to know I wasn't hallucinating. smilie

Really, though, what were they thinking? Sky Writer is such a crummy path. The clouds barely last long enough to do anything, so that's useless, and now... This?!

Edit: Adtually, I just played him again, and I think it only does 32 damage for me, not 35...
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 04:32:55 15/01/2014 by Arc of Archives
#4 Posted: 06:26:21 16/01/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: Arc of Archives
I noticed this playing Fire Jet a couple of days ago. It's good to know I wasn't hallucinating. smilie

Really, though, what were they thinking? Sky Writer is such a crummy path. The clouds barely last long enough to do anything, so that's useless, and now... This?!

Edit: Adtually, I just played him again, and I think it only does 32 damage for me, not 35...

Yeah, I think it's 32 on Sky Writer... I was posting about this a while after I noticed this so didn't remember exactly how much it was.

But yeah, I think it's definitely a bug or oversight on the developer's part. The damage done from each rocket plus the 32 from the "normal" Mach 2, don't add up to 150. 150 for how quick you can spam Mach 2 is pretty nuts. When it crits it hits for about 200+, which is even more ridiculous. I was doing Nightmare Tower of Time today and the Geargolems were going down pretty quick.
Arc of Archives Yellow Sparx Gems: 1486
#5 Posted: 07:34:27 16/01/2014
I really think this is a bug. The best thing to do is probably grab one that doesn't have any path chosen and buy the Soul Gem (and then pre-path upgrades) with it, then test the damage before picking a path. Then do the same after picking a path- and after buying each upgrade down a path. Then we can pinpoint wether this is because of just picking Sky Writer, if the damage is ADDED via an upgrade down Ace Gunner(which is most likely), or wether an upgrade down Sky Writer just NEGATES it. I might even do this myself, but I'm testing some Jet combos at the moment* so yeah.

It's such a massive margin of difference. It's ridiculous.

* As well as Fire Jet I noticed Hoot Jet also has this, so I assume this is an issue it's Jet and not with combining him with another half or something.
#6 Posted: 07:42:54 16/01/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: Arc of Archives
I really think this is a bug. The best thing to do is probably grab one that doesn't have any path chosen and buy the Soul Gem (and then pre-path upgrades) with it, then test the damage before picking a path. Then do the same after picking a path- and after buying each upgrade down a path. Then we can pinpoint wether this is because of just picking Sky Writer, if the damage is ADDED via an upgrade down Ace Gunner(which is most likely), or wether an upgrade down Sky Writer just NEGATES it. I might even do this myself, but I'm testing some Jet combos at the moment* so yeah.

It's such a massive margin of difference. It's ridiculous.

* As well as Fire Jet I noticed Hoot Jet also has this, so I assume this is an issue it's Jet and not with combining him with another half or something.

That's a good idea. I'll see if I can tinker with it tomorrow. And yes, works with Spy Jet too, so I agree that this is specific to Jet. Using Spy's scanner to lower enemy armor to increase damage and then using Jet's Mach 2 is just not fair.
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#7 Posted: 17:47:48 16/01/2014
Quote: blueruckus
With Boom Jet's bottom piece, the soul gem, Mach 2, adds a small frontal blast when beginning your flight/charge. What's interesting however is the damage amount on that blast depending on which path you choose.

When going with the top path, Sky Writer, the blast on Mach 2 does about 35 damage, nothing fancy but it's nice extra damage I guess. However, if you go with the bottom path, Ace Gunner, the blast on Mach 2 does 150 damage! You can spam Attack 2 and stay in place firing off the Mach 2 blast for major damage pretty quickly. It's essentially melee range so it's in no way an "I Win" button but versus something like bosses or golems, it's very strong DPS.

Neither path, Sky Writer or Ace Gunner, make any reference to increasing the damage of Mach 2 so it's very interesting that there's such a large undocumented discrepancy. It almost makes me think that this is possibly a bug. Maybe the damage formula on Mach 2 is somehow incorporating the damage from the 2 Ace Gunner rockets?

I've noticed that as well...I can spam that attack and do all sorts of damage with that.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
voodude Blue Sparx Gems: 715
#8 Posted: 23:53:51 16/01/2014
aw men... sounds like i chose the wrong path
---
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilieITALIAsmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
#9 Posted: 07:36:01 17/01/2014 | Topic Creator
Did some further testing on this today:

I completely reset the Jet piece and tested out Mach 2 after purchasing each upgrade to see what's causing the massive damage. Basic Mach 2 with no upgrades does 32 damage. Each upgrade prior to selecting a path keeps Mach 2 at 32 damage. Going the Ace Gunner route and selecting JUST Gun Ship (the first upgrade that allows you to shoot rockets) keeps Mach 2 at 32 damage. This was surprising to discover and debunks the theory that the insane Mach 2 damage is from the 32 base damage plus the damage from the 2 additional rockets somehow. When I upgrade to Rocket Fuel (the last upgrade that increases Gun Ship's damage) Mach 2 damage inexplicably jumps to 150.

Rocket Fuel increases damage of Gun Ship rockets from about 18 to 24, roughly a 33 percent increase... sounds about right. However, Rocket Fuel making Mach 2 jump from 32 to 150 is just under a 500% damage increase. This is totally bugged and has to be unintended.

More numbers:
Critical damage on Mach 2 is about 228.
Using Spy's Scanner to reduce armor on enemies makes Mach 2 jump to 195 (ish) damage. Critical hits for 298! I haven't messed around with crit multiplier treasures, but I imagine you can get this over 300.

So if you wanna be a super cheeseball, go Spy Jet, put on the Firefighter Helmet (I also think this is bugged/unintended, +20% crit chance on a portal master 28 hat?!?!), set up your Legendary Treasures for Crit Chance/Multiplier and go to town on everything.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me