darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Swap Force > Swap Force Wii freezes up regularly
First | Previous | Page 5 of 5
1 2 3 4 5
Swap Force Wii freezes up regularly [CLOSED]
Sboy13 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3172
#201 Posted: 00:22:01 20/03/2014
Quote: FuzzyQuills
Quote:
As for how it looks in 480p... I honestly couldn't tell a difference. It looks pretty much the same on my 46" LCD (the TV I mentioned in the last post) as it did in 480i. That's not to say I think it's bad, because IMO the Wii graphics are still decent either way.

I realized why my Wii looked so glorious: I use a YPrPb to VGA converter in my room and my 1280x1024 CRT monitor was set to 800x600, which is VERY CLOSE to the Wii's native resolution (That's also why the same sharpness wasn't achieved on 1280x1024...) This would explain the unusually sharp edges i got with the sharpness on the converter turned up to max. Also means i don't get a headache anymore every time I play Pikmin!

Good to hear your Wii hasn't given up the ghost yet! We would still need a decent play session to test it fully, though, so when you get the opportunity, try playing for 3 hours. (that is the time period i chose for mario kart freeze testing, as that was the amount of time i spent online with my friend on the night it froze) BTW, I played online mario kart with my friend the other night for over 6 hours. Wait for it... with the new cable in place, (and 480p enabled) the Wii didn't freeze once, Not even a death stutter on the screen as if it couldn't keep up! smilie (it did disconnect like 10 times though, as i am using Wi-Fi from the kitchen in my bedroom...)

For the final time: for those using an Xbox One for SWAP FORCE, post how it performs, as i haven't heard anything on the Xbox One doing all the weird bugs the other versions are doing. For those with a 3DS, is the game on 3DS as bullet-proof as previous games? I haven't heard of the 3DS freezing on a single skylanders game and most 3DS games are pretty bullet-proof when it comers to buggy games. (well, except Animal Crossing: New Leaf...)

Not sure if it's enough, but I played for 2 hours and 22 minutes today according to the history, and guess what, no freezing smilie Maybe 480p did work, especially since all of the freezes that I had happen were in two player mode, but after playing a lot with my sis today, none at all. smilie

And sorry, but I don't know if Xbox One players would really be looking at this topic. I don't have one myself, but like you, I haven't seen reports of any major bugs on there. The only one that may be on there is the glitch with the Portal Master Rank, as Ive heard it was reported on every platform, but I don't really know for sure.
---
Purple dragon.
Tigerbear222 Green Sparx Gems: 358
#202 Posted: 02:21:27 22/03/2014
I know that SWAP Force for Wii does NOT freeze on Wii U. (I upgraded since I wanted to get WW HD and SM3DW and other exclusives.)

It did freeze on Wii though, but only twice and then never again.

I had two: a white from 2006, and a preowned black (the one I previously used before Wii U.)
---
My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/thetigerbearman123
#203 Posted: 15:22:56 22/03/2014
I've heard a few have had freezing playing the Wii version on Wii U. It would make sense, since when a Wii U goes into "Wii Mode", I believe it just basically powers it's hardware and software down to Wii level. Of course, it may not be true, but that's what I read somewhere on this forum. So I think either you're just lucky and have managed to not have any freezing, or you have something in your settings (like 480p) that's preventing the freezing.
---
Purple dragon.
mega spyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 3847
#204 Posted: 00:32:25 23/03/2014
Quote: BahamutBreaker
^ Frankly, it's probably moot to try to assign blame to solely one party for the disappointments of the Wii version of Swap Force that have been reported.

The "blame" is shared by a lot of different parties involved:

Wii owners do get a share of the blame, primarily for having expectations that a ported version of the game to a weaker console/platform would not have some glaring deficiencies.
Beenox undoubtedly gets a share of the blame, for being substandard game developers.
Activision surely gets some blame, too, since they were willing to publish the Beenox game, thus attaching their reputation, and the reputation of one of their two leading franchises, to the Beenox product.

I'm not sure which of these 3 parties gets the "lion's share" of the "blame", but I'm not sure that's important. What is important is for Wii owners to accept their portion of the "blame", and perhaps learn from their mistakes, which could lead to any one of several "solutions" to this situation: A) do nothing and b*tch about it, B ) upgrade your home console (bye-bye, Wii!), or C) just avoid Beenox titles in the future.
If I get some of the "blame" just for owning a wii, maybe you shold help me raise the money to upgrade to a ps4 or Xbox1, which have no kid friendly games, so all I could USE it for would be skylanders. I would accepet my portion fo your "blame," if you would tell me why wii owners get blamed because, some like me, have parents that don't have the money to upgrade or won't because there are not any kid friendly games. Plus we have spent good money on all our games, so don't expect us to go throw our wii in the trash, along with 300$ (at least) worth of games.

here are several "solutions" to this: A) explain your extremely faulty reasoning to me, B ) help me raise funds on a gofundme.com page I will put up, C) shut the heck up in saying wii players should upgrade.
---
Dead
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:14:55 04/04/2014 by mega spyro
#205 Posted: 23:19:52 23/03/2014
Well, maybe 480p didn't work, at least not completely. :/ Played SF for 3 hours and 10 minutes today and right before I decided to stop, the game froze again in Woodburrow in front of the Power Pod, with me as Wrecking Ball and my sister as Whirlwind. It was a normal freeze though, where the music kept playing, and I just pressed reset on the system to fix it.

Here are just my thoughts:

• For some reason, I think the east area of Woodburrow where the Power Pod and dummies are is a bad spot for freezing, since I'm pretty sure the last few freezes I've had have happened there. One of the first freezes happened there too. It seems like it too, since in 2 player mode the game starts to lag a little when you enter that area. It's usually the area of Woodburrow where I hang out the most, since me and my sis will get upgrades and try them out on the dummies, so I imagine all the animation from our attacks would just push it down even more..
  • The sudden common freezing that started last month is starting to get a little annoying, but I'm still glad that I've only had one freeze so far where I had to unplug the system. As annoying as it is to have to get up and press the reset button every time it freezes, it's at least quicker. I'm usually back into the game about a minute after it freezes, I just skip all the logo stuff and then quickly get back in to the mode I was playing.
  • Oh, and FuzzyQuills, you mentioned that your game froze when you put a Swap Force character on the portal. Well, a few of the first freezes I had did actually happen when putting a figure on the Portal. It happened once with my Enchanted Hoot Loop, and a Giant (Thumpback) as well. I haven't seen these anymore, most of the freezes now have been in the actual game.

I don't think that it's interference with the Wii, as I usually have the portal about 6 feet away from my Wii. I'll try to experiment with other options to see what stops the freezing. I haven't tried disconnecting the internet, or freeing up 1500 blocks. I unfortunately can't try doing a system update, due to the fact my Wii is modded and I have it set to never ask for updates when inserting a disc. If I did do one, then it could probably brick the Wii when it sees that I'm using unauthorized modifications.

So yeah.. those are my thoughts. The freezing is definitely getting annoying, but hey, I try to see the bright side and know that at least it's not just Wii people that have problems, even if Wii is where the most people have problems.

EDIT: OH, and I forgot to mention, I have a cooling fan for my Wii, but it's in a storage unit about an hour and a half away from where I am now (long story). Swap Force is a rather graphic-heavy game, so maybe this game is overheating the Wii, causing it to freeze up, even though my Wii has never felt particularly hot. Still it's worth a try. I probably won't be able to do this for a while, but when I can I'll try to put the cooling fan on the Wii and see if it stops the freezing, as Drobotdude back in November said it worked for him. I also have a little story: well, there was a WiiWare game I downloaded once that was called "The Amazing Brain Train" I believe. It was nowhere near as intensive in graphics as SF, but guess what? There was one certain point in the game that I couldn't get past, because at that point the game would freeze and make a loud buzzing noise, and I had to unplug the Wii, much like some people's experiences with SF here. No matter how many times I would restart the game, it would always freeze at the exact same spot. Turns out, my Wii was overheating and it was in a cabinet, not getting much ventilation. I opened the cabinet door, played the game again, and I got past the freezing point! I decided to put a cooling fan on my Wii so it wouldn't overheat again, and I don't think I've had a game freeze since. I don't have the fan right now unfortjnately, and even though my Wii isn't in a cabinet anymore (it now sits in front of my TV) it could still be getting heated up from Swap Force.
---
Purple dragon.
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 13:32:43 24/03/2014 by Sboy13
mega spyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 3847
#206 Posted: 16:20:53 24/03/2014
Most of my frezes happened in the east area too. Once I was upgrading a swapper by using wash buckler's legs and sky diamound, and my skylander froze, but everything kept going, like the attack dummie kept moving like it got hit.
---
Dead
FuzzyQuills Green Sparx Gems: 116
#207 Posted: 00:09:30 25/03/2014
@mega Spyro: Quote:
here are several "solutions" to this: A) explain your extremely faulty reasoning to me, smilie help me raise funds on a gofundme.com page I will put up, C) shut the heck up in saying wii players should upgrade

I AGREE!!! You may have seen my somewhat obscene post earlier, and this sums up the point nicely! that is also why i will never get another console (other than maybe a Wii U): Nintendo IMO is my gaming king! Definitely better than a laptop with intel graphics... smilie

@sboy13: hmm... judging by your "thoughts," it could be overheating: the game was pretty laggy on my Wii when i tried it. (And at the time, mind you, I had it set to 50Hz...) And maybe the gfx is so harsh that the Wii is overheating and then freezing to protect itself from damage. The odd bit is, when my Wii froze that night, the RESET button didn't work...

@tigerbear222: Nice to hear that the Wii U doesn't seem to freeze on Wii SWAP FORCE. I have noticed this on certain GBA games with the DS using the GBA slot: one of my games ALWAYS FROZE on my GBA, but playing on the DS was flawless, perhaps this is what is happening with Wii -Wii U!

A message to all: the last resort, judging by everyone's 'thoughts,' is to buy a cooling fan and a 480p cable, then install them, fire up the Wii, and see if it freezes. Of course, if your TV doesn't support progressive scan...
---
Some people have a negative outlook, others have a positive outlook. I see both sides, and pick which one is best based on context.
#208 Posted: 01:12:56 25/03/2014
@mega Spyro: Quote:
here are several "solutions" to this: A) explain your extremely faulty reasoning to me, smilie help me raise funds on a gofundme.com page I will put up, C) shut the heck up in saying wii players should upgrade

I AGREE!!! You may have seen my somewhat obscene post earlier, and this sums up the point nicely! that is also why i will never get another console (other than maybe a Wii U): Nintendo IMO is my gaming king! Definitely better than a laptop with intel graphics... smilie

@sboy13: hmm... judging by your "thoughts," it could be overheating: the game was pretty laggy on my Wii when i tried it. (And at the time, mind you, I had it set to 50Hz...) And maybe the gfx is so harsh that the Wii is overheating and then freezing to protect itself from damage. The odd bit is, when my Wii froze that night, the RESET button didn't work...

@tigerbear222: Nice to hear that the Wii U doesn't seem to freeze on Wii SWAP FORCE. I have noticed this on certain GBA games with the DS using the GBA slot: one of my games ALWAYS FROZE on my GBA, but playing on the DS was flawless, perhaps this is what is happening with Wii -Wii U!

A message to all: the last resort, judging by everyone's 'thoughts,' is to buy a cooling fan and a 480p cable, then install them, fire up the Wii, and see if it freezes. Of course, if your TV doesn't support progressive scan...

All the freezes I've had except one have been able to be overcome by pressing the Power/Reset button. I say power/reset because the first freeze I ever had was one with the buzzing noise, but I surprisingly didn't have to unplug the Wii; if I remember correctly, I just held down the power button until it turned off. And the one where I did have to unplug the Wii didn't have a buzzing noise for some reason. :/ but other than that, all the other freezes I've fixed by resetting the game; these freezes just have the music/background sound keep playing.

I'm going to try freeing up 1500 blocks next time I play (maybe tomorrow) since I hear that's the amount it needs to download the "hotfix" and it worked for some people. Although I'm not sure if this hotfix is supposed to be applied through a Wii update or when the game starts up. Hopefully not the former. The game has no online features, though Activision is stating that they were able to apply a hotfix through a server. I'm not sure whether they're talking about the Wii server or a game server, but meh, I don't know much about stuff like this, so.

Also, I'll say it again, not out of anger, but just want you to bear in mind that some people still have had freezing occur with the Wii version on Wii U. Although you do make a good point with the GBA/DS thing.
---
Purple dragon.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:17:30 25/03/2014 by Sboy13
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#209 Posted: 02:16:31 25/03/2014
My main complaints around the Wii version wasn't the comparatively weaker graphics/gameplay -- you can't blame the Wii for the graphics of Swap Force no more than you can blame the Atari 2600 for lacking hi-def. It simply "is what it is". You could argue a better developer could've done a better job. I'm not going to go there. Also, from what I've seen of the Wii version, it visually looks very acceptable to me.

To Bahamut's primary points of responsibility in my mind the lion share of ownership of the Wii port should be on the TECHNICAL problems relating to the user experience itself---freezes, requiring fixes etc and/or not being a proactive enough port to WORK AROUND KNOWN ISSUES like not enough blocks of data, etc. It "may" be possible that Beenox flew that well under Activision's radar--and if so, I'm sure they will not be awarded another opportunity. It's also possible Acti went live knowing full well what they were minting on those Wii discs...and if so that's a very surprising risk to take considering their investment in the franchise.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Edited 11 times - Last edited at 02:31:15 25/03/2014 by GhostRoaster
#210 Posted: 02:43:26 25/03/2014
Quote: GhostRoaster
My main complaints around the Wii version wasn't the comparatively weaker graphics/gameplay -- you can't blame the Wii for the graphics of Swap Force no more than you can blame the Atari 2600 for lacking hi-def. It simply "is what it is". You could argue a better developer could've done a better job. I'm not going to go there. Also, from what I've seen of the Wii version, it visually looks very acceptable to me.

To Bahamut's primary points of responsibility in my mind the lion share of ownership of the Wii port should be on the TECHNICAL problems relating to the user experience itself---freezes, requiring fixes etc and/or not being a proactive enough port to WORK AROUND KNOWN ISSUES like not enough blocks of data, etc. It "may" be possible that Beenox flew that well under Activision's radar--and if so, I'm sure they will not be awarded another opportunity. It's also possible Acti went live knowing full well what they were minting on those Wii discs...and if so that's a very surprising risk to take considering their investment in the franchise.

Totally agree. Although Beenox didn't do a terrible job, I hope if the next game will be for the Wii that they get a better company to do it. And if it is Beenox again... I just hope that they fix the freezing and any major glitches that may be there. I could still deal with it, but just saying that they should learn from their mistakes and try to make the experience better.
---
Purple dragon.
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#211 Posted: 02:48:13 25/03/2014
So, my understanding is that the responsibility with QA is with the developer...so based on what you wanted fix I would have to say they did an unfavorable job. Either that or Acti game them "mission impossible". In many ways their job was more difficult as you're working around issues/bugs with someone else's product. I don't envy their position, but it was their challenge to take. At the end of the day the consumer isn't going to say "they did a good job but they needed to get rid of these nasty bugs"---they are going to say "pass" or "fail".

Sadly, I've seen posts of Ex-Skylander fans based on the port...and more importantly, the lack of follow up by Activision's support organization when the issues were raised and not addressed. It's all plastered all over the Internet for everyone to see.

I'm very grateful I avoided the Wii this time around. I'll continue to see the community acceptance of a video game product before I buy it. Heaven forbid we run into a situation where EVERY platform is buggy for this franchise. The bell will toll for thee if that happens.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Edited 8 times - Last edited at 02:58:49 25/03/2014 by GhostRoaster
#212 Posted: 03:22:07 25/03/2014
Ok... no online features?! That makes activision look real stupid... smilie

Anyway, I re-read one of yur posts and heard your Wii was modded. What was the modding for? and what version of wii menu do you currently have on your modded wii? Mine isn't modded, so if any update fixed bugs, i probably got it.

And good point on freeing up blocks, as this seemed to fix some people's Wii consoles. Useless fix for me though, as i have over 1900 free blocks on my system memory. And I guess not every game console have the new-platform fix, like the DS did for GBA.

BTW, what is your signature supposed to mean? It is a tad odd...
---
Some people have a negative outlook, others have a positive outlook. I see both sides, and pick which one is best based on context.
#213 Posted: 03:29:26 25/03/2014
@GhostRoaster: I guess for certain games, avoiding a certain platform is the way to go. Reminds me of Sonic Generations on 3DS (the console version was more polished and played better than 3DS, but both were a good game nonetheless)
As for skylanders, i do hope later installments have a better game engine than what they used this time. otherwise, my friend can probably say goodbye to one of his favorite game franchises... smilie
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 06:22:51 25/03/2014 by FuzzyQuills
#214 Posted: 13:21:37 25/03/2014
Quote: GhostRoaster
So, my understanding is that the responsibility with QA is with the developer...so based on what you wanted fix I would have to say they did an unfavorable job. Either that or Acti game them "mission impossible". In many ways their job was more difficult as you're working around issues/bugs with someone else's product. I don't envy their position, but it was their challenge to take. At the end of the day the consumer isn't going to say "they did a good job but they needed to get rid of these nasty bugs"---they are going to say "pass" or "fail".

Sadly, I've seen posts of Ex-Skylander fans based on the port...and more importantly, the lack of follow up by Activision's support organization when the issues were raised and not addressed. It's all plastered all over the Internet for everyone to see.

I'm very grateful I avoided the Wii this time around. I'll continue to see the community acceptance of a video game product before I buy it. Heaven forbid we run into a situation where EVERY platform is buggy for this franchise. The bell will toll for thee if that happens.

It's terrible that there are actually people who have done away with Skylanders all because of the Wii version. QA DOES need to do a better job next time >.>

Ok... no online features?! That makes activision look real stupid... smilie

Anyway, I re-read one of yur posts and heard your Wii was modded. What was the modding for? and what version of wii menu do you currently have on your modded wii? Mine isn't modded, so if any update fixed bugs, i probably got it.

And good point on freeing up blocks, as this seemed to fix some people's Wii consoles. Useless fix for me though, as i have over 1900 free blocks on my system memory. And I guess not every game console have the new-platform fix, like the DS did for GBA.

BTW, what is your signature supposed to mean? It is a tad odd...

I believe it was modded sometime at the end of 2012, so we could play ISOs on the Wii, as I already have a LOT of Wii games, more than the average person would smilie Despite this fact though, I own Swap Force on a disc, I had to since the starter pack was required.

And I believe last time I checked it was 4.3, but I think it's an older version, as the Wii Shop asks me for an update when I try to visit it. Although I think some games contain on - disc updates regardless of the system version.

If you already have over 1500 block free on your Wii, then I'm thinking maybe it won't work. I'll still give it a shot though. :/

My signature is a quote from Kirby's Epic Yarn. smilie
---
Purple dragon.
WickedRogue Gold Sparx Gems: 2725
#215 Posted: 21:01:14 25/03/2014
Don't think the next Skylanders game is even going to be on the Wii to begin with.
---
Elite Skystones Set Complete.
kdhayes Red Sparx Gems: 85
#216 Posted: 22:08:20 25/03/2014
I have the Wii U and it freezes all the time. Not just during Skylanders. It's been an on going problem since I got it.
#217 Posted: 01:40:34 26/03/2014
I did hear about the Wii U having general freeze problems not realted to this game. can't say anything else really.

And if they are going to release on Wii again, they better make it good...

@Sboy13: Sounds like the usual modding story... i guess it also means you can keep your game discs clean as whistles without damaging them! Anyway, i know my Wii is up to the latest version, since doing a system update reports it doesn't need an update. And yes, game discs often have their own updates, like SWAP FORCE has for, i presume, the portal of power device driver. (that is, if the Wii works like that...)

I have found that running ISOs can have nasty side-effects, such as corruption caused by a bad image. this is only theory, though, taken from my experience with R4DS cartridges and my Mum's stuffing up constantly!

I haven't played Kirby's Epic Yarn, but fair enough! It definitely makes sense, since it looks like the game is made of wool! smilie
---
#218 Posted: 13:07:07 26/03/2014

@Sboy13: Sounds like the usual modding story... i guess it also means you can keep your game discs clean as whistles without damaging them! Anyway, i know my Wii is up to the latest version, since doing a system update reports it doesn't need an update. And yes, game discs often have their own updates, like SWAP FORCE has for, i presume, the portal of power device driver. (that is, if the Wii works like that...)

I'm not sure if the update is supposed to be for a driver, since when I got Spyros Adventure before I modded, it didn't have an update. :/ No peripheral-requiring game Ive ever had has had an update. I think the update is more for compatibility reasons not related to the portal. Maybe it's different for SF, but eh.
---
Purple dragon.
#219 Posted: 22:57:23 28/03/2014
Okay, so I finally went through a long and tiring process of freeing up space, and when done, I had 1580 blocks free on the system. I played for about an hour by myself with no freezing whatsoever. It probably would have worked better if my sister was with me, but she didn't feel like playing. I did spend a fair amount of time in east Woodburrow though testing for freezes, quickly and repeatedly attacking dummies to see if it would freeze up the game. Heck, I dropped the second remote in and had them both do attacks at the same time, I even recreated the scenario where it froze last time, nothing happened. This gives some hope, although I'm not jumping to conclusions this soon, I'll give it a few more play sessions to make my statement about if the fix is helping or not.
---
Purple dragon.
#220 Posted: 10:41:35 31/03/2014
Cool bannanas! Now let's see what happens...

Also, i should test my Wii again. May ask friend to bring it next time he comes over.
---
Kevin16 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4524
#221 Posted: 21:49:49 31/03/2014
The only thing i hate about the Wii version is the missing gates and the lack of attack sounds, serously its the same ''punch'' over and over and some voices are so darn loud smilie
---
what even is this site anymore lmao
#222 Posted: 22:38:57 31/03/2014
Quote: Kevin16
The only thing i hate about the Wii version is the missing gates and the lack of attack sounds, serously its the same ''punch'' over and over and some voices are so darn loud smilie

I share the same gripe with the "punch" sound; it's overdone and reminds me of the endless whip sounds in Johnny Test, a cartoon which I despise. There are sounds for some attacks, but for others it's that stupid punch noise >.>

Oh, and since I'm posting now, I might as well mention that now SF isn't the only game that freezes. Yesterday I was playing Spyro's Adventure, and in the middle of doing a heroic challenge with Chop Chop, I accidentally knocked him off my portal. When I put him back on, I oddly got a message telling me the character needed to be "reloaded" and to go back to the main menu. I obliged, started my save file again. After I skipped the cutscene that was playing, the camera was panning towards the Core of Light; knowing dialogue was coming, I quickly pressed C to skip... the game froze. The music just kept playing, had to reset the system. The same ordeal I've been having with SF. :/ Makes me wonder if maybe it's something else going on... I didn't play again yet, but will report if I come across another freeze with any game.
---
Purple dragon.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:47:55 31/03/2014 by Sboy13
#223 Posted: 00:29:08 01/04/2014
Could be because your system's modded, I have heard of Modded Wiis having freezing problems sometimes. And i forgot to mention something about the Mario Kart Wii freeze online i stated last month: a few races before the freeze occured, it became obvious that an FTL hacker had got on, as a Blue Shell, A Bob-omb, and a Lightning bolt all got unleashed at once when the countdown reached "2". could have been the reason why the wii then froze on Coconut Mall later.

Anyway, I will mention another thing about my friend's Wii: He stated on the night my Wii froze on SF that his hadn't frozen once on SF for him...
---
#224 Posted: 02:29:10 05/04/2014
Hi guys, i now have an opportunity to test SWAP FORCE on my Wii in 480p! I will report back once the test is done! So i bid farewell for now...
---
GoHeels999 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1022
#225 Posted: 22:51:04 05/04/2014
Ya'll do know the Wii is as old as Methusala now. Truly time to move on to a Wii U (help the big N out) or get an X1 or PS4. Wii graphics are horrid by todays standards.
#226 Posted: 02:47:15 06/04/2014
Ok guys, surprisingly, no glitches! My Wii did however freeze on mario kart again, but this time, it may have been overheating. in that case, i would loosely recommend using a cooling fan on your Wii and use 480p where possible.

@GoHeels999: I have had my wii for only TWO MONTHS. SO BUGGER OFF smilie
Didn't i tell you not to cross my path saying that statement? If not, then look on PAGE 4!!! I GREW UP WITH N64, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!
---
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 03:09:04 09/04/2014 by FuzzyQuills
#227 Posted: 00:29:24 11/04/2014
Game froze again today... i was doing the Chompy Challenge bonus mission, and after I finished it, was selecting another one to do. I chose "Chompy Sauce", then the screen faded to black, and... it stayed there. It didn't start loading or do anything, it was just stuck at a black screen. Had to press reset again.

A similar freeze to this actually happened to me once before, except it was right at the beginning at the game. I selected a save file, and the screen got stuck at black the same way, the menu music just kept playing...

So I can confirm 1500 blocks doesn't fix it completely. I have noticed though that the freezing doesn't occur as often. It doesn't happen every time I play like it used to. It still happens, but not everytime I play.

Oh, and another thing: I might be getting a Wii U for my birthday in June, so I'll be able to test it on there when I can.

Finally, a random note: I was looking at the credits for fun, and turns out this game had a LOT of QA testers. Easily over a hundred. I don't know how many were playing the Wii version, but with these freezes, they should have done their job a little better.
---
Purple dragon.
gta1134 Blue Sparx Gems: 628
#228 Posted: 00:46:37 11/04/2014
It's likely the credits are a copy and paste job with a section added in for beenox.

My son and I have been playing on a wii for a week (vacationing with crappy weather is not a lot of fun) and had 1 freeze the whole time and it was handled with using the controller to go back to the wii system menu. For reference our wii does have the 1500 free blocks.
---
Have an extra boomer and punch pop fizz that are opened and a darklight crypt that is still sealed for trade.
#229 Posted: 07:16:35 12/04/2014
@Sboy13: Ok, never had that freeze type! sounds like the game is getting stuck on loading. reminds me of what i am typing this from! smilie

And if you do get a Wii U, please let us know how it generally performs, as i have heard from other people that the Wii U is prone to freezing in general, not jsut on Wii (or Wii U) swap force.

And if you can get your hands on a cooling fan, go ahead and try playing with the fan and 480p cables fitted! May try this myself when i get the chance. and I am going to test Skylanders Giants on my Wii next time my friend comes over, and see if it's jsut my Wii not being used to Skylanders. smilie

And BTW, if the QA list is that long, that is embarassing! i reckon half the jokers were testing the rubbish PS4 and XBOX ONE to even notice the Wii. definitely a sign of the times maong us Wii gamers. smilie

@gta1134: one freeze? impressive! Mine froze once on 50Hz, but after putting the new cable in, my Wii didn't freeze on SWAP FORCE once.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 07:19:18 12/04/2014 by FuzzyQuills
#230 Posted: 12:58:11 12/04/2014
Will do. I can't wait until I get that cooling fan out of storage... the game just froze on me again yesterday in the exact same way (stuck at black screen when choosing a different level to play), except it was during Time Attack mode. I hadn't disconnected the Internet yet.
---
Purple dragon.
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 13:00:36 12/04/2014 by Sboy13
FireMeowth Emerald Sparx Gems: 3230
#231 Posted: 15:22:16 12/04/2014
FuzzyQuills:

I've never heard anything before about the Wii U being prone to freezing. I've had mine since launch and played over a dozen games to completion on it without every encountering a freeze - even several LEGO games which are usually extremely prone to freezing. It's definitely not a common issue.
#232 Posted: 21:52:33 12/04/2014
I had never heard about the HD cable making the freezes happen less often but we do use one so that might be why we didn't get it as much as other people.
---
Have an extra boomer and punch pop fizz that are opened and a darklight crypt that is still sealed for trade.
#233 Posted: 10:50:46 13/04/2014
gta1134: Yes,i have suspected that the game can't handle interlacing very well, which would expain why the average person gets the freezes more often. (that is the average user who uses the standard composite video cable!) So that could be why yours didn't freeze as often.
And BTW, does the cable make a difference to your TV image? it did to mine, but that could also be because i use a VGA to YPbPr video coverter with an old 1600x1200 CRT monitor my mum had spare in the garage. and this monitor i use in my room, which is why i needed the converter.

FireMeowth: Try looking back over this page: someone did say their Wii U freezes too much for them. but ah well, i take your word. I guess the former Official Nintendo Magazine team's opinion was a good one, and they didn't report the Wii U as being prone to freezing.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 10:52:57 13/04/2014 by FuzzyQuills
#234 Posted: 12:42:22 13/04/2014
I will pull the other cable off my sons Wii and see when I get the chance, it's honestly been so long that I don't recall. I seem to think it does but when we bought it we did so because our dog chewed the old video cable up.
---
ItalianGamer97 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1378
#235 Posted: 17:17:12 19/04/2014
Well, I got the Wii U version. Is there anything you need to know about that version? I haven't noticed loss of Portal Master rank stars on my game, and my copy never froze.
---
And to prevent confusion, I am in the U.S. and I am part Italian.
#236 Posted: 23:14:54 21/04/2014
gta1134: the usual story, "a dog chewed up my homework...," only with a Wii!

ItalianGamer97: Well, that portal master rank is a glitch across all the platforms, and i also recall some star rank also being dropped by a glitch. (also across all platforms!) Activision better get these bugs out of their next game, or ditch beenox and hire someone else. Surprisingly, i would actually recommend Dimps (the company that made sonic advance for GBA and Sonic Rush for DS) to them, since they at least iron the bugs out of their games. (and GBA sonic was epic! Of course, if you are a sonic hater, then i suggest you ignore this post!)
---
First | Previous | Page 5 of 5
1 2 3 4 5

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me