darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Swap Force > Swap Force Wii freezes up regularly
First | Previous | Page 4 of 5 | Last
1 2 3 4 5
Swap Force Wii freezes up regularly [CLOSED]
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#151 Posted: 22:56:27 10/11/2013
Quote: BahamutBreaker
These reports about characters being reset or scrambled randomly across multiple platforms are indeed troubling.
I never heard about anything like this happening with SSA or Giants.
One has to wonder if Vicarious Visions was really up to the task. Granted, the overall product is still very good, but it does appear that there are a number of flaws that could/should have been avoided.
Personally, I think that the introduction of "jump" into the Skylanders recipe was a mistake. Introducing that element undoubtedly consumed a very large chunk of development and testing resources that probably could have been better allocated to ensuring a more polished product. Just my 2 cents.

I fully agree with this post! (Looking at VV's last title games didn't give me a warm and fuzzy, either. I'm sure this game is their crown jewel...but I expected better quality than this).
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:57:21 10/11/2013 by GhostRoaster
Drobotdude Blue Sparx Gems: 622
#152 Posted: 23:30:09 10/11/2013
Quote: Drobotdude
HEY!! All your consoles are overheating. Just put a dreamgear fan on the back (it's usb) or put it in a cooling stand. My game crashed ONCE! And that was without the cooling accessory. Once I put it on after the crash, it never crashed again. Take my word for it.

Did anyone listen to me at all?!
---
Blink and Destroy!
BahamutBreaker Yellow Sparx Gems: 1191
#153 Posted: 02:37:32 11/11/2013
^ I'm sure some people did, Drobotdude.

It's a very reasonable step for people to take to check and ensure their hardware isn't overheating. People often blame the software for crashes, and in fairness, it often is the hardware ... but overheating can be the culprit, too.
---
"Who was harmed here---some six year olds who went to bed crying because there's no Enchanted Trap Shadow?"
Gooby Green Sparx Gems: 277
#154 Posted: 03:13:10 11/11/2013
Is it wii or wii u
sustainablspyro Yellow Sparx Gems: 1648
#155 Posted: 04:36:38 11/11/2013
Wii, not Wii U.
---
Bye everyone. After the hack thing, I'm leaving.
Drobotdude Blue Sparx Gems: 622
#156 Posted: 06:14:14 11/11/2013
Yep just the old Wii like mine from 2007.
---
Blink and Destroy!
MarBel77 Green Sparx Gems: 274
#157 Posted: 12:59:25 11/11/2013
My PS3 system has frozen 4 times while playing Swap force, this is very frustrating.
I-Brawler Emerald Sparx Gems: 3565
#158 Posted: 00:38:18 13/11/2013
My wii froze at least once in every level from Mudwater Hollow to Twisty Tunnels. (Excluding Jungle Rumble.) It stopped freezing now, and I haven't experienced it since. Have no idea what the problem is.
---
you never saw me
#159 Posted: 00:55:52 13/11/2013
They implemented a server patch that supposedly prevented "most" Wii freezes. You're the 2nd data point to suggest they've actually fixed it.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
WhirlwindRocks Green Sparx Gems: 350
#160 Posted: 11:56:04 13/11/2013
I played the first level of swap force and it is fine. Just hope it dosen't freeze along the way. When I put the disc in it asked for an update.
---
Known As Skylanders100 On Youtube.
Currently playing Swap Force 24/7 smilie
#161 Posted: 14:09:33 13/11/2013
Quote: WhirlwindRocks
I played the first level of swap force and it is fine. Just hope it dosen't freeze along the way. When I put the disc in it asked for an update.

The problem occurs roughly halfway through the game I think.
---
NINJAsk11 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1124
#162 Posted: 16:32:23 13/11/2013
Quote: GhostRoaster

The problem occurs roughly halfway through the game I think.

for me its in that stupid fantasmforest

I hate the level, and it keeps freezing, but I somehow managed to get past the freeze and end the game
spyrobeta Green Sparx Gems: 237
#163 Posted: 18:31:27 13/11/2013
You guys need to take into consideration that the wii version was developed by a company called Beenox who is known to release incomplete and buggy games. Look them up and see their games. Its the truth.
---
Spyro Classic Fan forever. I highly despise Activision and Skylanders. Problem? Shove it.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:31:44 13/11/2013 by spyrobeta
#164 Posted: 18:43:07 13/11/2013
Quote: spyrobeta
You guys need to take into consideration that the wii version was developed by a company called Beenox who is known to release incomplete and buggy games. Look them up and see their games. Its the truth.

It may be, but it doesn't excuse the flaming pile we got. I take quality issues in games a bit too seriously, but deferring responsibility to the platform itself or the company's sordid history does little to comfort those who spent serious money on the game.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 18:44:31 13/11/2013 by GhostRoaster
BahamutBreaker Yellow Sparx Gems: 1191
#165 Posted: 20:19:59 13/11/2013
^ Frankly, it's probably moot to try to assign blame to solely one party for the disappointments of the Wii version of Swap Force that have been reported.

The "blame" is shared by a lot of different parties involved:

Wii owners do get a share of the blame, primarily for having expectations that a ported version of the game to a weaker console/platform would not have some glaring deficiencies.
Beenox undoubtedly gets a share of the blame, for being substandard game developers.
Activision surely gets some blame, too, since they were willing to publish the Beenox game, thus attaching their reputation, and the reputation of one of their two leading franchises, to the Beenox product.

I'm not sure which of these 3 parties gets the "lion's share" of the "blame", but I'm not sure that's important. What is important is for Wii owners to accept their portion of the "blame", and perhaps learn from their mistakes, which could lead to any one of several "solutions" to this situation: A) do nothing and b*tch about it, B ) upgrade your home console (bye-bye, Wii!), or C) just avoid Beenox titles in the future.
---
"Who was harmed here---some six year olds who went to bed crying because there's no Enchanted Trap Shadow?"
dangerousbrian0 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1181
#166 Posted: 04:36:16 14/11/2013
well I am playing my Wii version of SSF on the Wii U and my version also locked up while adding Skylanders but after that it has been ok so far.Before anyone else says it why dont you get the Wii U version I do I have all 3 games on every format except the Wii U as SSA only got released on the Wii U in japan.
#167 Posted: 11:52:27 14/11/2013
Well eitherway, there is nothing that can be done unless they issue a full recall. Wii games cannot be patched. But due to the fact legally they do not need to do anything (EULA states AS-IS), don't expect ANY fix or compensation.

There are a couple games on the Wii that are broken and were never recalled or fixed: The Sims 3 is one of them. Look up the issues on the wii to see what I mean. Some of you guys already might own it and know about the issues. Yea, its just god terrible. EA never recalled or fixed it, because they do not have too.
---
Spyro Classic Fan forever. I highly despise Activision and Skylanders. Problem? Shove it.
SennyBonku Blue Sparx Gems: 673
#168 Posted: 14:48:01 14/11/2013

Wii owners do get a share of the blame, primarily for having expectations that a ported version of the game to a weaker console/platform would not have some glaring deficiencies.

I'm not sure which of these 3 parties gets the "lion's share" of the "blame", but I'm not sure that's important. What is important is for Wii owners to accept their portion of the "blame", and perhaps learn from their mistakes, which could lead to any one of several "solutions" to this situation: A) do nothing and b*tch about it, B ) upgrade your home console (bye-bye, Wii!), or C) just avoid Beenox titles in the future.

LOL.That's more than farfetched theory here. How come I am blamed for being owner of specific console? I don't care for hilarious graphics and realism, since owning Wii alone makes us ages behind PS3 or XBox (not to mention other consoles), but when I buy a game released for the specific consol, I expect that it will AT LEAST WORK.

Besides. I haven't really seen Wii-owners complaining that the graphic is weaker, because most of them was dealing with the fact from the start. It happened already with Giants. Lack of some chapters, additional content, etc. might be an issue. First of all - Activision has released SSF on each port and haven't even told, that Wii version is cut off from some content. They haven't done that before, so as a customer, I have a right to expect, I will receive similiar product on Wii console, as it is released on PS3 or XBox. Yeah - maybe there won't be a stunning graphic, but usually Nintendo users are focusing on gameplay and brand, rather than amazing effects during playthrough.

Even if I consider changing console in future, why do I have to do it specifically for Skylanders? I already burn a lot of cash on the figures (most of which is stupid reposes), so why do I have to be forced to switch my console on the way? Because Activision screwed less with Wii U version?

Beenox has made Skylanders games for 3DS before and there haven't been much of an issues (altough they did frozen from time to time), so I cannot assume, that all their products was a failure. Besides, they were working under Activison brand and this also makes an average customer to believe, he is paying for some quality product. It's stupid to say, that Wii owners are blamed for having Wii.

There is no slice of logic in yours statement.

Let's face it - they've screwed with releasing heavily bugged game and it seems they didn't even paid enough attention, to test it properly.
#169 Posted: 15:18:15 14/11/2013
Quote: SennyBonku

LOL.That's more than farfetched theory here. How come I am blamed for being owner of specific console? I don't care for hilarious graphics and realism, since owning Wii alone makes us ages behind PS3 or XBox (not to mention other consoles), but when I buy a game released for the specific consol, I expect that it will AT LEAST WORK.

Besides. I haven't really seen Wii-owners complaining that the graphic is weaker, because most of them was dealing with the fact from the start. It happened already with Giants. Lack of some chapters, additional content, etc. might be an issue. First of all - Activision has released SSF on each port and haven't even told, that Wii version is cut off from some content. They haven't done that before, so as a customer, I have a right to expect, I will receive similiar product on Wii console, as it is released on PS3 or XBox. Yeah - maybe there won't be a stunning graphic, but usually Nintendo users are focusing on gameplay and brand, rather than amazing effects during playthrough.

Even if I consider changing console in future, why do I have to do it specifically for Skylanders? I already burn a lot of cash on the figures (most of which is stupid reposes), so why do I have to be forced to switch my console on the way? Because Activision screwed less with Wii U version?

Beenox has made Skylanders games for 3DS before and there haven't been much of an issues (altough they did frozen from time to time), so I cannot assume, that all their products was a failure. Besides, they were working under Activison brand and this also makes an average customer to believe, he is paying for some quality product. It's stupid to say, that Wii owners are blamed for having Wii.

Let's face it - they've screwed with releasing heavily bugged game and it seems they didn't even paid enough attention, to test it properly.

Companies rarely test stuff before release. They must just assume it works. If they did, Xbox 360, Silent Hill HD Collection and so many more gaming products never would of made it to sale.
---
Arc of Archives Yellow Sparx Gems: 1486
#170 Posted: 15:31:08 14/11/2013
Actually, n-Space made Giants and SWAP Force 3DS, Vicarious Visions made SA 3DS, Beenox had no involvement with the series until now.

Anyway, main problem with the Wii version is, Acti KNEW that the Wii version made up a good share of the player base for and cashed in on it... They released a product that is ridiculously buggy on many users' systems. And instead of respecting that good portion of the player base and (this doesn't count for anyone with a working game) giving them a more stable port, they were willing to sell a game that could be so badly broken for the users of many systems. They didn't give Beenox more time or resources to polish this port, or hire a better company to do it... They just rushed out a cheap port because they knew that many people bought SA and Giants for the Wii and that at least some of them hadn't upgraded.

It's showing Acti are okay with making money in that way- fine with porting off a port, for a system that a lot of the users were still playing on, but giving the project to a company with a track record for poor ports because it was the cheapest option available. It's a lack of respect towards the Wii player base. It wouldn't be an issue if the Wii version wasn't selling to warrant a port at all, but a good percentage bought this series on on the Wii, and Acti knew that, but still gave them an utterly horrible port purely to cash in. They knew it would sell because there is still a Wii player base that they can make money from. Wii users shouldn't expect the equivalent of the other versions and it would be stupid for Acti to put the same effort into it as those versions, but they just decided to hand it to the cheapest developer they got, instead of giving it to a company that would properly port it so that the game didn't freeze on a lot of players who bought it. By the way- [at least here in Aus] the Wii version starter pack costs the same as the other console versions. Just think about that for a moment.

And sorry to break it to ya, but not everyone has money to upgrade, or would find it worthwhile to do so(if they don't want many PS360 games, it would be stupid to upgrade to them just to have a more stable port of one game). I agree it's an option that you really need to consider if you're already buying lots of toys yet still play on the Wii, but it just isn't practical for everyone (like people on a very tight budget who buy a starter pack when it's on sale, and very few extra figures) and it certainly doesn't excuse the behaviour Activision is showing to its Wii users.
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 15:33:33 14/11/2013 by Arc of Archives
#171 Posted: 15:35:48 14/11/2013
Well, Xbox 360 and PS3 units can go for $100 now used, so problem solved. Ditch the crappy underpowered Wii and get a PS3 or 360.
I bought one of my sons a 4GB Xbox 360 from Ebay for $75 without the controller. (He already had a controller).
---
Reimu Yellow Sparx Gems: 1076
#172 Posted: 16:15:58 14/11/2013

Companies rarely test stuff before release. They must just assume it works. If they did, Xbox 360, Silent Hill HD Collection and so many more gaming products never would of made it to sale.

I don't know where you are taking you information, but you should really change your source...
RadSpyro Gold Sparx Gems: 2007
#173 Posted: 16:32:35 14/11/2013
Well, Xbox 360 and PS3 units can go for $100 now used, so problem solved. Ditch the crappy underpowered Wii and get a PS3 or 360.
I bought one of my sons a 4GB Xbox 360 from Ebay for $75 without the controller. (He already had a controller).

Even if I didn't already have PS3, I'd never ditch Wii (or any other console for that matter) for another considering Wii has so many fantastic exclusives (do people forget about Zelda, Mario, DK, Pokemon, etc. when giving this proposition?). Excluding the 360. Never had a console that made me want to throw it out the window before the 360 (Classic Xbox is epic though).
---
TUMBLR
DEVIANTART
Visit me and stuff.
#174 Posted: 17:00:15 14/11/2013
Quote: Reimu

I don't know where you are taking you information, but you should really change your source...

Experience, sweet-buns.
---
Reimu Yellow Sparx Gems: 1076
#175 Posted: 20:39:17 14/11/2013
I assure you that this is not enough as you are really off with this statement. Companies such as Activision test their games.

But due to many factors, some glitch might still be present after the release. Like, the Wii freeze. They did a fix that was on server side, which means that the bug wasn't in the game but server side and was causing the game to crash. Server issues are really hard to narrow down as the server used to test a game and after the release is not the same.

There are so many factors to take into consideration, it doesn't totally excuse remaining bugs, but stating that companies don't test their games... Maybe little companies, but no major company release a game without testing it. Plus, the fact that the game is release on a console means that Microsoft or Sony have to review the game and approve it. If the game is too much broken, they won't allow it.
#176 Posted: 13:06:38 16/11/2013
I'm probably going to return my dark edition for the wii and get the 3ds or wii u platform.
---
#177 Posted: 15:16:47 16/11/2013
Does anyone know if the wii version doesn't freeze if played on wii u(I know, stupid question) or if you've already beaten a level once it won't freeze there again? Just curious.
---
you never saw me
Dragon Master58 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1366
#178 Posted: 17:18:34 16/11/2013
So what are all the issues with the wii version? I've heard worse graphics and game freezes are just two, could someone please inform me of any others and/or explain the known issues in detail? I'm anxious to know as I've asked for the game for christmas on the wii.
---
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie - want these swappers the most
I own all figures from first 2 games except S2 Drobot; release him in the UK, Activision!!
#179 Posted: 01:27:28 17/11/2013
More numerous bugs and the inability to open certain treasure chests.
---
newkill Emerald Sparx Gems: 3975
#180 Posted: 03:02:45 17/11/2013

Ignore that. There's just one puzzle chest that you can't open but it doesn't prevent 100% completion...

The graphics on Wii compared to other consoles are obviously lower due to hardware limitation. Compared to other games on Wii, the graphics are correct (they are not super beautiful nor awful). Some people have reported having numerous and constant freezing problems. People that don't have this problem might witness random freezes, but rarely. Also, due to hardware limitation again, some areas that are present on WiiU/Xbox360/PS3 are not present on Wii, but this doesn't prevent from getting a 100% completion.

Vicarious Visions created a new engine for SWAP Force, if you want a better experience of the game, I recommend getting the game on other consoles than Wii. If you don't have another console, there's a Wii U bundle pack that includes a Wii U + SWAP Force for $300 that could be of interest to you and the rest of your family.
---
bye
#181 Posted: 03:23:43 17/11/2013
Quote: newkill

Ignore that. There's just one puzzle chest that you can't open but it doesn't prevent 100% completion...

The graphics on Wii compared to other consoles are obviously lower due to hardware limitation. Compared to other games on Wii, the graphics are correct (they are not super beautiful nor awful). Some people have reported having numerous and constant freezing problems. People that don't have this problem might witness random freezes, but rarely. Also, due to hardware limitation again, some areas that are present on WiiU/Xbox360/PS3 are not present on Wii, but this doesn't prevent from getting a 100% completion.

Vicarious Visions created a new engine for SWAP Force, if you want a better experience of the game, I recommend getting the game on other consoles than Wii. If you don't have another console, there's a Wii U bundle pack that includes a Wii U + SWAP Force for $300 that could be of interest to you and the rest of your family.

Ignore what? The problem? Now why would we do that? According to some players, the freeze happened EVERY TIME they started within a couple of minutes. There is evidence to suggest the back-end server update solved the problem, but there are still reports of freezes although I'm not sure where root cause is. I guess I could do Activision Support's job, but I don't get paid.

Spot on with graphics. I wish there were some youtube videos so a real comparison could be made. Also important to note that some content was removed from the Wii version.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 03:25:30 17/11/2013 by GhostRoaster
#182 Posted: 12:25:18 17/11/2013
Quote: I-Brawler
Does anyone know if the wii version doesn't freeze if played on wii u(I know, stupid question) or if you've already beaten a level once it won't freeze there again? Just curious.

I don't think the Wii console is the problem it is the defective disk that activision needs to fix. I returned mine and will either get the wii u or 3ds platform.
---
zookinator Platinum Sparx Gems: 5694
#183 Posted: 14:30:42 17/11/2013
Okay, I might not own the Wii Version, but I do feel as if I was ripped off of something. Do some people here know the glitch that removes your collection stars in Swap Force. That's the part that makes me feel like they didn't put in the right amount of time they should have. If they did fix everything via patch, that could be more than they have ever done outside the pre-release of the game.

One other thing. We own a Wii, and would never want to get rid of it. We have too many Gamecube Games to go down the drain if we done that.
---
Skylanders Colosseum Clash
A Fanmade Skylanders Boardgame
#184 Posted: 14:46:26 17/11/2013
I experienced that but all I had to do to fix it was go to the title screen and back.
---
you never saw me
#185 Posted: 23:17:00 17/11/2013
This is a bit sad to say in our day and age, but judging by what my son has played on his Wii, this game is buggier than Spyro 4: Enter the dragonfly.
---
#186 Posted: 00:02:59 18/11/2013
Quote: I-Brawler

I don't think the Wii console is the problem it is the defective disk that activision needs to fix. I returned mine and will either get the wii u or 3ds platform.

My understanding is that the defects they fixed were on the back end. I'm very curious to hear if they've actually produced defects from the game in the form of a new disk. My Wii has enough life left in it to play this game but unfortunately the bugs aren't going to make this a possibility.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:03:36 18/11/2013 by GhostRoaster
mrdarkspyro Blue Sparx Gems: 918
#187 Posted: 01:48:50 10/12/2013
I've only had it freeze up on me twice, on the second level in the power pod and while in Kaos's mouth. other than that, no other problem except for a very ugly Dark Spyro.
---
MAX AURA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BWladwa Blue Sparx Gems: 926
#188 Posted: 21:13:14 11/12/2013
My game freezes and a few times a annoying buzzing sound started too
---
Listenin 2 grime 24/7
FuzzyQuills Green Sparx Gems: 116
#189 Posted: 23:00:33 23/02/2014
OK, so here's what happened with my friend's copy of Skylanders: swap Force on my black Wii:

So my friend and I were playing co-op for about an hour, and yea, got through the first level fine. then we started on a battle match in the arena mode. now here's where it gets interesting. rather than freezing in the middle of a level, my Wii froze when i put a swap force type character on the Portal Of Power. (My Wii also did that weird buzzing sound everyone was talking about) So i unplugged it. But then, after deciding not to play the game again in fear of bricking my Wii, my friend and I went to play Mario Kart Wii online instead. But then, three hours into the game, Mario Kart Wii FROZE when we went off the last ramp in Coconut Mall! Could this be because of the swap force system update? (I already deleted the save file, so it can't be that)

And finally, mark my words: IF ANYONE TRIES TO TELL ME: "GO DITCH THE WII AND GET AN XBOX/PS3 BECAUSE THE GRAPHICS ARE CRAP," GET SCREWED, I HAVE ONLY HAD MY WII FOR TWO MONTHS AND I DON'T GIVE A **** ABOUT HD GRAPHICS!

Thank you, and pardon my french, i just don't like the type of gamer that has to upgrade home console when it comes out.
---
Some people have a negative outlook, others have a positive outlook. I see both sides, and pick which one is best based on context.
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 00:11:26 24/02/2014 by FuzzyQuills
#190 Posted: 13:53:36 24/02/2014
Check and make sure you have plenty of free blocks. You might want to move some to other storage as a start. Not sure if Wii is applying some updates that are causing general freeze ups. Weird to say the least.

Oh and my PS3 freezes in Swap Force at least once for every ten hours of gameplay I put in. So, the game engine is pretty turdy across all platforms. Looks great and all, but VV better get the bugs out of this on future installments.
---
#191 Posted: 22:57:14 24/02/2014
Trust me, i Have 1950 Blocks of free space, since my Wii came already reset by the previous user. So free space isn't the issue here. Once i get around to playing my Wii again, I will report back on how Mario Kart Performs. And i already deleted the Swap Force save in case that was screwing with the Wii's system, so lets see what happens...
---
Some people have a negative outlook, others have a positive outlook. I see both sides, and pick which one is best based on context.
KiDFass65 Gold Sparx Gems: 2922
#192 Posted: 00:23:39 25/02/2014
I have to say I have enjoyed SWAP FORCE on the Wii. It was a good gaming experience. But it could have been a far better experience had the QA Teams done a better job IMO. There is a huge list from Beenox, VV and Activision. I found it frustrating that some areas were not developed for the Wii version. Additional areas were not there. The Lock Games not accessible yet the chest calls to you with zero response.

I get the Wii is dated and the graphics are not the best. But they could have played to the best of the platform rather than release a poor product. I get the "new" platforms were coming. But to diss your main audience is poor form. As far as I'm concerned, Beenox and VV did nothing to make me what to explore other games they produce. I shelled out some good money to play a game/franchise I enjoy. TFB did a wonderful job with it. I'm not sure VV or Beenox were up to the task.

My 2 cents.
#193 Posted: 00:54:55 25/02/2014
KiDFass65: I agree with you. yes, the HD consoles look pretty, but i am a gamer that doesn't really give much about bad graphics (I grew up on an N64 for crying out loud!) anyway, anyone know how to change profile picture? i am new, as you may see on my profile. and the Wii has gone strong for ages longer than required, which is the reason why I have loved Nintendo consoles from the beginning!

But here is something i forgot to point out: anyone have the Xbox One version? Because i haven't heard of anything to do with Xbox One freezing or doing all the stuff the other versions do. (there was even a mention of the PS4 version having that star ranking problem)
---
#194 Posted: 03:14:32 11/03/2014
Hi guys, I'm back! Here are my results of how my Wii performed:

pretty much, there was a section in coconut mall that seemed to start glitching slightly, but then it became smooth again and didn't freeze. (Note that until i find an RGB cable, i am stuck with 50Hz mode, so it could have been my video converter that did this) I also tried 3-player split-screen with my Mum's TV, which supports 60Hz. so far, so good. and the temp didn't seem hotter than normal either, so i can rule out overheating as a cause for now. So it seems that the Swap force save was the reason why my particular Wii froze up. I have definitely heard of game systems freezing when a background process comes across corrupt data in the memory, and this is what has seemed to happen to my Wii, which would explain why removing the save stopped the freezes from happening.

And here is something I want everyone with swap force to try, should they have the ability to: If your Wii is set to 50Hz and your TV supports 60 or YPrPb progressive scan, try setting the TV mode in the Wii settings to 60Hz or Progressive Scan Mode and see how Swap force performs. If it doesn't freeze, give me a heads-up!

And one more thing: For those who have an Xbox One (seriously?!) and use swap force on it, try posting how it performs as i haven't heard of any glitches occurring on Xbox One. (could mean the buggers that made swap force were targeting Xbox One and left us Nintendo and Playstation guys out to dry...)
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:20:17 11/03/2014 by FuzzyQuills
Sboy13 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3172
#195 Posted: 23:52:30 12/03/2014
Quote: FuzzyQuills
Hi guys, I'm back! Here are my results of how my Wii performed:

pretty much, there was a section in coconut mall that seemed to start glitching slightly, but then it became smooth again and didn't freeze. (Note that until i find an RGB cable, i am stuck with 50Hz mode, so it could have been my video converter that did this) I also tried 3-player split-screen with my Mum's TV, which supports 60Hz. so far, so good. and the temp didn't seem hotter than normal either, so i can rule out overheating as a cause for now. So it seems that the Swap force save was the reason why my particular Wii froze up. I have definitely heard of game systems freezing when a background process comes across corrupt data in the memory, and this is what has seemed to happen to my Wii, which would explain why removing the save stopped the freezes from happening.

And here is something I want everyone with swap force to try, should they have the ability to: If your Wii is set to 50Hz and your TV supports 60 or YPrPb progressive scan, try setting the TV mode in the Wii settings to 60Hz or Progressive Scan Mode and see how Swap force performs. If it doesn't freeze, give me a heads-up!

And one more thing: For those who have an Xbox One (seriously?!) and use swap force on it, try posting how it performs as i haven't heard of any glitches occurring on Xbox One. (could mean the buggers that made swap force were targeting Xbox One and left us Nintendo and Playstation guys out to dry...)

I believe my Wii was on 60hz, (it was on 480i in the screen resolution, and that's 60hz from what I've read) and it's hooked up with component cables to an HDTV, but it's froze 10 times since I've got it, 1 being back in December, the month I got it. But around 9 out of at least 11 days I played in the last month, it froze at least once, making up those 9 other freezes :/ I set the resolution to 480p before I played today, even though I don't think that's 50hz, but thought it was worth a try, and it surprisingly didn't freeze, but then again, maybe it was just a lucky day where the game decided to not freeze. I'm done for today, but once I've played a few more times, I'll see if doing 480p really helped or if it was just another fluke.
---
Purple dragon.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:55:43 12/03/2014 by Sboy13
#196 Posted: 05:44:48 16/03/2014
Cool! Like to see if 480p mode works! I finally got ahold of an RGB cable and my Wii graphics look GLORIOUS. And my Wii DIDN'T FREEZE ONLIE WITH TWO PLAYERS.

I think my Wii has finally fixed itself! And Pikmin is no longer blurry as hell with 480p glory! Anyway, if 480p fixes swap force, i might give it another shot at my own risk. BTW, one of my friends said his copy of swap force on his 360 froze the other day for the first time on him, so it isn't just Wii that has the freezes.

One last thing: what does SWAP FORCE look like in 480p mode? is it super sharp? or is it as blurry as 50Hz? And nice profile picture. I do know a real man that plays AS kirby in SSBB...
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 05:46:18 16/03/2014 by FuzzyQuills
Sboy13 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3172
#197 Posted: 12:51:09 16/03/2014
Quote: FuzzyQuills
Cool! Like to see if 480p mode works! I finally got ahold of an RGB cable and my Wii graphics look GLORIOUS. And my Wii DIDN'T FREEZE ONLIE WITH TWO PLAYERS.

I think my Wii has finally fixed itself! And Pikmin is no longer blurry as hell with 480p glory! Anyway, if 480p fixes swap force, i might give it another shot at my own risk. BTW, one of my friends said his copy of swap force on his 360 froze the other day for the first time on him, so it isn't just Wii that has the freezes.

One last thing: what does SWAP FORCE look like in 480p mode? is it super sharp? or is it as blurry as 50Hz? And nice profile picture. I do know a real man that plays AS kirby in SSBB...

Yeah, the freezing problems aren't Wii exclusive as there have been some reports on PS3, 360, even a couple on Wii U, but Wii seems to be where freezes are the most reported.

As for how it looks in 480p... I honestly couldn't tell a difference. It looks pretty much the same on my 46" LCD (the TV I mentioned in the last post) as it did in 480i. That's not to say I think it's bad, because IMO the Wii graphics are still decent either way.

And just a little update, I played a second time after the switch, and no freezing experienced, even though it was only for like 18 minutes. (sister just wanted to do a couple games of Ring Out)
---
Purple dragon.
#198 Posted: 23:08:37 18/03/2014
Quote:
As for how it looks in 480p... I honestly couldn't tell a difference. It looks pretty much the same on my 46" LCD (the TV I mentioned in the last post) as it did in 480i. That's not to say I think it's bad, because IMO the Wii graphics are still decent either way.

I realized why my Wii looked so glorious: I use a YPrPb to VGA converter in my room and my 1280x1024 CRT monitor was set to 800x600, which is VERY CLOSE to the Wii's native resolution (That's also why the same sharpness wasn't achieved on 1280x1024...) This would explain the unusually sharp edges i got with the sharpness on the converter turned up to max. Also means i don't get a headache anymore every time I play Pikmin!

Good to hear your Wii hasn't given up the ghost yet! We would still need a decent play session to test it fully, though, so when you get the opportunity, try playing for 3 hours. (that is the time period i chose for mario kart freeze testing, as that was the amount of time i spent online with my friend on the night it froze) BTW, I played online mario kart with my friend the other night for over 6 hours. Wait for it... with the new cable in place, (and 480p enabled) the Wii didn't freeze once, Not even a death stutter on the screen as if it couldn't keep up! smilie (it did disconnect like 10 times though, as i am using Wi-Fi from the kitchen in my bedroom...)

For the final time: for those using an Xbox One for SWAP FORCE, post how it performs, as i haven't heard anything on the Xbox One doing all the weird bugs the other versions are doing. For those with a 3DS, is the game on 3DS as bullet-proof as previous games? I haven't heard of the 3DS freezing on a single skylanders game and most 3DS games are pretty bullet-proof when it comers to buggy games. (well, except Animal Crossing: New Leaf...)
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:16:23 18/03/2014 by FuzzyQuills
mega spyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 3847
#199 Posted: 00:13:40 19/03/2014
My Wii only droze once on level 7 or so, although it some times freezes after I put a skylander on the portal and they don't say they're catchphrase. And it freezes then BLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPs until I turn it off, but it does that for every game.
---
Dead
#200 Posted: 10:49:24 19/03/2014
Mine did a buzzing sound too. but it seemed to come from the disk drive, not the speakers. and like what appened to you, it happened to me after putting a character on the portal of power.

And dude... If you have the money and patience, try a 480p YPrPb cable: it will boost the Wii's frame rate on 480p and helps your Wii console resist freezing on SWAP force, from what i have gathered from my own play time and what other people have said. (I reckon all the bugs are linked to the fact that half these people are using interlaced TV modes on their Wii consoles, and the freezes could be caused by lag due to the interlacing.) And as a hint to what an RGB cable can do: When i got my 480p cable and then turned my sharpness to max on my video converter, (I use a converter for my CRT monitor in my room to play Wii with) the Wii graphics looked GLORIOUS!
---
First | Previous | Page 4 of 5 | Last
1 2 3 4 5

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me