Page 1 of 1
3DS: "Duplicate Toy" message [CLOSED]
HamsterExAstris Yellow Sparx Gems: 1186
#1 Posted: 02:47:52 17/08/2013 | Topic Creator
At this point I have a complete set of SSA figures and a nearly-complete set of Giants figures. So for 75% of the SSA figures, I have 2-3 versions of them.

When I try to use a version other than what I originally used with the 3DS version of SSA, it gives me a message about it being a duplicate toy, and asking if I want to overwrite it. However, the message isn't really clear to me, so I'm hoping someone here can clarify. smilie

1. What gets overwritten? Will the new toy overwrite the data in the game, or will the game overwrite the data on the toy?
  2. If the game overwrites the toy...
  3. a) What happens when you write an S1 figure's data onto an S2/LightCore figure? Does it lose the WowPow if purchased, and/or the ability to switch paths?

b) Doesn't this make the 3DS a good way to dupe figures? When you buy the Series 2/Series 3 versions, just copy a "complete" S1 figure onto the new one? (Or will it only mark it as level 10, not whatever-higher-level-they-really-are?)
  4. More of a Giants question, but does it have the same problem? Or can it distinguish between S1/S2/Royal Double Trouble?

Thanks for any answers you can provide!
NINJAsk11 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1124
#2 Posted: 05:54:20 17/08/2013
wow, you ninja'd me , i wanted to know it too, since i have the same problem
niceguy1 Blue Sparx Gems: 532
#3 Posted: 06:00:33 18/08/2013
Okay, I don't have a 3DS, or have any inside information, but I'm at heart a programmer, and understand how all of this works better. So here's my input.

I feel I can almost GUARANTEE they don't mean overwriting the toy. That would be entirely against the concept. With your 2b point being one of the reasons why.

I understand this to mean that you can only have one of each character registered with the game. While in the console version you can check your Skylanders collection and have 5 different versions of a character listed there, 3DS can only list one of each. So if you try to use S2 Stealth Elf at level 8 with no upgrades, it will replace the Level 10 Fully Upgraded S1 Stealth Elf you registered with the game previously. So in this case, the Stealth Elf you play in your 3DS game will be 2 levels lower than what you had before, and with no upgrades. THIS is why it's warning you, in case the new one is "lesser" than the one you had before. Also, I don't know how it saves to the figure, like when you get money or another level, but I'm guessing you put the figure on the portal again every now and then, and this is warning you that any unsaved progress will be lost.

I don't know what playing the 3DS version is like enough to guess any further, but it sounds like this warning is pretty useless, that you can just overwrite every time with whoever you want to use right now, I can't see why it would matter if you UNsave someone, when you can just put them back after. Except the unsaved update thing, of course.
---
SSA- smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
SG- smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilieLCsmilie
NINJAsk11 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1124
#4 Posted: 08:00:47 18/08/2013
hmmm, let me test something out, i am going to use a NON-upgraded s1 stealth elf , trying to replace the s2 fully upgraded one

EDIT: incase you wanna know what the message is:

"saved data already exist of this type of skylander, do you want to overwrite it?"

or something like that, i dont understand it
i just overwrite it....

EDIT2: notthing seems to happen, my s2 smilie simply got replaced with a s1 smilie non upgraded.......hmmm

edit3: now that she isnt upgraded anymore i can see how she runs, its just like riolu smilie
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 08:08:29 18/08/2013 by NINJAsk11
kappapopm Ripto Gems: 1186
#5 Posted: 11:40:42 18/08/2013
yes if you 'overwrite' you will lose your others... its clearly a warning.. so be careful...
zookinator Platinum Sparx Gems: 5683
#6 Posted: 14:07:54 18/08/2013
Basically, the game replaces the in-game character data with the data on the other figure. Nothing else really.
---
Skylanders Colosseum Clash
A Fanmade Skylanders Boardgame
HamsterExAstris Yellow Sparx Gems: 1186
#7 Posted: 16:36:13 18/08/2013 | Topic Creator
Quote: niceguy1
Okay, I don't have a 3DS, or have any inside information, but I'm at heart a programmer, and understand how all of this works better. So here's my input.

I feel I can almost GUARANTEE they don't mean overwriting the toy. That would be entirely against the concept. With your 2b point being one of the reasons why.

Also as a programmer, that's what I would hope. But I've seen enough dumb bugs in games (Myth II uninstaller that wipes your hard drive, anybody?) to know that isn't necessarily the case!

Also, I don't know how it saves to the figure, like when you get money or another level, but I'm guessing you put the figure on the portal again every now and then, and this is warning you that any unsaved progress will be lost.

Correct - you have to manually sync the data back to the figure. (Since the 3DS portal is infrared rather than RF or wired, they couldn't rely on constant communication like the console versions can.)

I don't know what playing the 3DS version is like enough to guess any further, but it sounds like this warning is pretty useless, that you can just overwrite every time with whoever you want to use right now, I can't see why it would matter if you UNsave someone, when you can just put them back after. Except the unsaved update thing, of course.

I agree - it does seem rather useless. You can't switch to a Skylander without the portal, so there's no downside to having a lower-level one listed in-game...

Quote: NINJAsk11
EDIT2: notthing seems to happen, my s2 smilie simply got replaced with a s1 smilie non upgraded.......hmmm

So it sounds like it works like niceguy1 postulated. Thanks!
niceguy1 Blue Sparx Gems: 532
#8 Posted: 06:40:01 19/08/2013
What's freaky: I have Myth II around here somewhere, and never got around to trying to install it, LOL! Mainly because I wanted to try Myth I first, and I never got around to that one, either. LOL! I hadn't heard that about it...
---
SSA- smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
SG- smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilieLCsmilie
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me