Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > How have the games impacted your life?
Page 1 of 1
How have the games impacted your life? [CLOSED]
Lila-the-dragon Blue Sparx Gems: 762
#1 Posted: 17:46:50 21/06/2013 | Topic Creator
(I apologize if there's already a topic on this)

The Spyro franchise has brought my aunt, my cousin, and myself much closer together, due to the fact that my aunt introduced us to Spyro, and we were always playing the games together when I was younger.

So yeah, what's Spyro done to your life?
bionicle2809 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8438
#2 Posted: 17:52:36 21/06/2013
The series indirectly introduced me to my girlfriend, it got me to where I am with owning 2 website and occasionally working on another (even if 2 of those aren't directly linked to Spyro at all), without being introduced to the series I wouldn't be on my way to studying a computer game design course at Uni.

...So yeah, all from some small little game.

I don't get too hung up on it like "IF IT WEREN'T FOR SPYRO, I WOULDN'T BE HERE!" but it's nice to reflect on history and such.
SamXala Gold Sparx Gems: 2398
#3 Posted: 20:53:31 21/06/2013
Well, I got my first Spyro game when I was a kid, a very funny game and it was in English (my main language is Spanish by the way), so I learn a lot of useful things in English with this and other games, probably that's the reason why I'm so good with this language now (I was the best English student in my School).

So... If it weren't for Spyro, I wouldn't "Learn" anything or just a few things about this language (English) ^-^
---
O_0 Holy Cow!! I'm a Gold Sparx!
Jaggedstar Diamond Sparx Gems: 7931
#4 Posted: 21:00:45 21/06/2013
If it wasn't for Spyro, I would not be as close to my dad as I am now.
---
Quote: Paytawn
oh my god
Hot Dog 542 Gold Sparx Gems: 2872
#5 Posted: 21:40:29 21/06/2013
If it weren't for Skylanders, I would never have got into playing the Classics or be on this site.
---
Quote: Bimle
Why is it that so many people have hardons for dogs?
Vincentkoopa Yellow Sparx Gems: 1997
#6 Posted: 21:47:08 21/06/2013
If it weren't for Spyro, I wouldn't be a dragon crazed lover. O_e
---
Always tired~
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10259
#7 Posted: 22:14:20 21/06/2013
If it wasn't for A New Beginning,I would be like most kids at high school and don't care about English at all,though in all honesty I'd have discovered the wonders of the internet anyway. I could also say that it started my love for the fantasy genre,but I had many other influences at the time(Deltora Quest,Pokémon,loads of cartoons that didn't suck)...Spyro in general introduced me to dragons of types other than gigantic and scary ones,I guess xD
Also,if it wasn't for Skylanders,I wouldn't have a reason to call some younger neighbors when we have a small party in my house. Since I don't want to stay and chat with my parents' friends and nor do they,I can always turn my X360 on,get some soda and have a lot of fun :3
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:14:39 21/06/2013 by Bifrost
spyrocrash Platinum Sparx Gems: 5012
#8 Posted: 23:39:28 21/06/2013
If it wasn't for Spyro I wouldn't have taken an interest in game design.
Tynesider Yellow Sparx Gems: 1612
#9 Posted: 19:37:47 22/06/2013
I'd say it greatly influenced my writing. Spyro was my first exposure to dragons, and as a consequence it got me interested in them and the rest of the fantasy genre. Then I developed an interest in writing and the two neatly merged into one. smilie
---
GANN VOORT ET KRAENEN!!!
LevanJess Emerald Sparx Gems: 3516
#10 Posted: 08:53:48 23/06/2013
I guess if it wasn't for Spyro, I wouldn't have been as interested in dragons as I am now. I wouldn't have made this dragon OC I have (though I still haven't gotten around to writing her story yet, not like I'm in a rush though because I'll never post it). I wouldn't have been learning how to draw cutesie dragons in spare time during school (I suck at drawing them though, but they're the only thing I can enjoy myself while drawing...).

I also think Spyro helped me forget the fact my mom was gone a few weeks in my childhood to attend to her father when he was stung by a jellyfish or something. I remember playing it a whole lot during that time and feeling fine, and when I wasn't, I felt really depressed.
---
but i love it all smooth
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 08:54:28 23/06/2013 by LevanJess
TorchSheep Emerald Sparx Gems: 3376
#11 Posted: 08:55:12 23/06/2013
I wouldn't be known as 'that spyro kid' at my school. smilie
---
"I have my own system, don't get involved"
StevemacQ Platinum Sparx Gems: 6533
#12 Posted: 14:27:02 23/06/2013
Oh absolutely. The games help define my view on good level designs and the kind of music that was both atmospheric and catchy.

The PS1 Spyro games helped define my view on fantasy settings and I hope to make a game, animation or manga that would capture the spirit of Spyro. The games were a great base discovering grander stuff like Lord of the Rings and Final Fantasy.

I probably wouldn't have been interested in Friendship is Magic if I never played the Spyro games.

Also, how many games let you play as a dragon? Most games nowadays have you playing American soldiers and bald space marines in a linear corridor with chest high walls. I doubt Marcus Phoenix or Duke Nukem could glide or literally use their heads to take down the bad guys.
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
ravensaan Red Sparx Gems: 53
#13 Posted: 01:52:26 29/07/2013
Well, I don't actually remember when I played my first Spyro game, or which one I even played (could have been Enter the Dragonfly), but I loved it from the very beginning. I was always, from then on, fascinated with dragons and fantasy more than I ever was, and I made it my personal goal to complete each game 100% (still working on it...). I remember when I received Dawn of The Dragon for my Christmas present; I was so excited after waiting so long to get to play it!
I believe Spyro had just been a good influence on me during my early childhood...
---
Buffalos are awesome.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:53:29 29/07/2013 by ravensaan
Dunkin Yellow Sparx Gems: 1066
#14 Posted: 02:34:49 29/07/2013
I grew up (well sorta) with the Spyro Games- I was a teen when they came out but they got me through some rough times- So they had a fairly major impact on my life- they kept me going so to speak smilie I love them to this very day too-
---
I <3 all Spyro games!smilie
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9329
#15 Posted: 09:00:37 29/07/2013
Spyro gave me a different perspective on dragons, and the worlds that they could possibly live in.
I remember the games filling me with great satisfaction and happiness through the bad times, and the boring ones too.
Also, in Spyro 2 and 3, there is dialogue from the characters who speak, and I think when I used to listen to the character, I used to read the words on-screen, and that did help me to an extent to read, and recognise words, but without that, I would have learned sooner or later anyway. But it helped nonetheless.

In my primary school, I also used to pretend that I was in the world of Spyro, and I remember one day, I actually made a friend, I think I bumped into him somehow, and I was explaining what I was doing and he told me that he played Spyro, and so I remember us to talking about how great the games are. smilie

I guess Spyro gave me a happier childhood, but even without him I reckon I still would have had a happy childhood as well.

In a sense, the biggest thing that Spyro has given me, is a softspot. I don't know how to explain it.

I do remember my first experience of Spyro, and that was the demo of Spyro 1, I actually remember getting lost in the maze, sounds stupid I know. And wondering why the portals have been blocked, and why I couldn't get on the balloon where the balloonist was. Until my Dad interrupted and said "Well it's only a bloody demo!" smilie LOL.
cyber dragon Blue Sparx Gems: 606
#16 Posted: 11:07:36 29/07/2013
If it weren't for Skylanders, I would never have gone back to play SPYRO 2 with I foolishly gave up on after getting stuck on level 1
6 year old me= getting stuck on level 1
me now = completes SSA,SG,spyro 1 and 2 iv also watch the cut Scenes from LOS
im now a bigger dragon fan than ever
LTU Spyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 4985
#17 Posted: 01:08:39 03/08/2013
If it weren't for the Original Spyro, I wouldn't be a gamer like now.

If it weren't for LoS series I would've completely forgotten about this awesome purple dragon. Also LoS made me join this site, meet new friends and even find a girlfriend.

Stay awesome, Spyro. Always.
#18 Posted: 13:39:14 03/08/2013
Quote: LTU Spyro
If it weren't for the Original Spyro, I wouldn't be a gamer like now.

If it weren't for LoS series I would've completely forgotten about this awesome purple dragon. Also LoS made me join this site, meet new friends and even find a girlfriend.

Stay awesome, Spyro. Always.

Lol, that's a sweet little message.
Ryanator20x6 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1848
#19 Posted: 14:12:46 03/08/2013
They haven't. They're just games.
---
Hello from Seattle

ask.fm/RyanNeely889
#20 Posted: 15:58:51 03/08/2013
Quote: Ryanator20x6

In a sense, the way it has impacted you is that if it didn't exist, you either would be playing something else that interests you, or if it's one of the first things that got you into video games, you probably wouldn't be bothered about playing them? Surely it must impact you in some way or another, even if it's on a small scale. You can't just say "They're just games." Because you could say that to anything. We already know they're games. I think it would make at least a small impact on what you like to do in your spare time?
Ryanator20x6 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1848
#21 Posted: 20:11:36 03/08/2013
Quote: SuperSpyroFan

In a sense, the way it has impacted you is that if it didn't exist, you either would be playing something else that interests you, or if it's one of the first things that got you into video games, you probably wouldn't be bothered about playing them? Surely it must impact you in some way or another, even if it's on a small scale. You can't just say "They're just games." Because you could say that to anything. We already know they're games. I think it would make at least a small impact on what you like to do in your spare time?

I would have more money in my wallet.
---
Hello from Seattle

ask.fm/RyanNeely889
#22 Posted: 20:35:55 03/08/2013
Quote: SuperSpyroFan

I would have more money in my wallet.

So it's impacted you in a negative way, see? I told you it would impact in some way, shape or form. smilie
jckelsall Blue Sparx Gems: 624
#23 Posted: 10:49:44 05/08/2013
If it wasn't for the games, we wouldn't be here on a forum for the games...
#24 Posted: 11:40:12 05/08/2013
Quote: jckelsall
If it wasn't for the games, we wouldn't be here on a forum for the games...

Yes, I'm sure either something else would have taken Spyro's place, or we'd just be interested in something else, perhaps dark52 would have done a Crash Bandicoot site instead?
Radiance Emerald Sparx Gems: 3950
#25 Posted: 23:02:54 05/08/2013
If it weren't for Spyro in general, I wouldn't have become a writer. Or have a character called Drizzle, who is... a lot like Spyro in a way, despite being a short dragon. :P Then again I have quite a few dragon characters all thanks to the original trilogy and Dragon Rider novel in general.

In fact I have a lot of Spyro references in my stories... from gems used as money to a dragon "mythero" bounding for sheep and a little boy asking where the butterflies are at after seeing his idol gnawing on a bloody sheep in an open field. XD I've also been thinking of using a portal as a transportation device on one of the islands as another Spyro reference.
---
Love is a gift.. Cherish it!
BlinktheCookie Emerald Sparx Gems: 3556
#26 Posted: 04:34:44 06/08/2013
It got me through a plethora of family issues, but only because I was deep enough into it to distance me from my family. It was probably best at the time, but I also think my inability to socialize could've been a side-effect...
parisruelz12 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7577
#27 Posted: 05:18:37 06/08/2013
If not for Spyro, I wouldn't have developed good hand-eye coordination.
If not for Spyro, I wouldn't have gotten into video-games and set a career choice.
---
looks like ive got some things to do...
JCW555 Hunter Gems: 8681
#28 Posted: 07:03:43 06/08/2013
Well, if you know the story of me and the Spyro games, Spyro 1, 2, & 3 were my very first video games ever on my PlayStation (which I got the same day back on my birthday in 2000). That's why I cherish them so much. They'll always hold a very special place in my gaming heart. Like parisrulez, I wouldn't have developed the hand eye coordination I have now (although I'm still a klutz). I can still remember back in the day (God I sound old smilie) booting up my PS1 (which I still have and it works), and logging dozens and dozens, hundreds of hundreds of hours into Spyro. Spyro is, and will always be a part of my childhood. Unfortunately, like a lot of kids did, I didn't take good care of my games, and so I asked my dad to re-buy the Spyro games for me for my birthday in 2011, and to experience those memories again, it made me cry a little bit inside to relive my childhood.
---
You gotta believe! Heh heh.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me