Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > "Genwunners and Anti Genwunners"
Page 1 of 1
"Genwunners and Anti Genwunners" [CLOSED]
MugoUrth Ripto Gems: 3234
#1 Posted: 00:43:39 21/05/2013 | Topic Creator
I know "Genwunners" is a Pokemon term used to describe Pokemon fans who only like the first generation of Pokemon, but it kind of applies here, too.

I notice that there are Spyro Fans who only like the first three games, and everything else is rubbish. In addition, they aren't even willing to give newer games a try. On the other hand, there are the fans of the later games who dislike the older games due to the "fanbase." Personally, why can't I like the original Spyro, Legend of Spyro, AND Skylanders? Personally, I have fond memories of playing the first three Spyro games, and also liked Heroes Tail. Legend of Spyro, although a bit repetitive at times, was still a pretty well-made game. And I've been playing Skylanders for weeks, and I still have fun playing it, even after doing most of what I could do with the current figures I have. Frankly, all three series have something to offer. As well, I'm not as deterred by a fanbase as most are.

What about you? What is your opinion on the matter?
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9026
#2 Posted: 01:01:10 21/05/2013
I enjoy the first 3 games a lot, although the controls for Spyro's friends in YotD left something to be desired. I wasn't terribly fond of Enter the Dragonfly or Shadow Legacy, but liked A Hero's Tail and the GBA games. And I did have some fun with ANB and TEN. But I despise Dawn of the Dragon (and most of the forum knows that). As for Skylanders, it's never really been on my radar. I've sampled both of the games, but it's just not exactly up my alley. I can appreciate what Activision is doing, but I'm not really in the target audience. <.<;
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10259
#3 Posted: 01:09:40 21/05/2013
Two extremes of horrible fandumb attitude,though I don't want to be on either side sometimes I go to straight Anti Genwunner territory because the majority of the General section wants Skyro dead.I just feel compelled to go and tell them it's not right to bash it like that.
I never had a big experience with the Classic Triology since all I did was watch my brother or my friends on the odd day they decided to pick one of them up,but I do admire the games. EtD had reasons to be bad and still had some awesome music,the GBA games seem so okay-ish I have to reason to play or not to play them. AHT aged but is still a lot of fun, Shadow Legacy is great unless the glitches get you trapped. LOS could be a heck lot better but it's far from unplayable,and Skylanders has flaws that it shoudn't have but it's still fun with all three letters. In my opinion,we can all dislike or like a game,but please we already know you don't like it,stop insisting that's it's bad or against your preferences/sucks outright and it's wrong to like it. DS is the only place where people have a level of maturity to discuss this(Youtube and that one forum already lost themselves in hate dumb), and we can't lose that.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#4 Posted: 01:18:45 21/05/2013
I like all Spyro games too, even Skylanders.

Though I sometimes question the intelligence of the side of the fanbase that still think that raging and whining continuously will get them what they so selfishly desire in a Spyro game. And that Spyro should be 'worshipped', instead of being considered as a video game character.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
#5 Posted: 01:25:27 21/05/2013
Quote: Aura24
I like all Spyro games too, even Skylanders.

Though I sometimes question the intelligence of the side of the fanbase that still think that raging and whining continuously will get them what they so selfishly desire in a Spyro game. And that Spyro should be 'worshipped', instead of being considered as a video game character.

You should just show them the AMA from Ted Price where it was confirmed they'd never go back to it. And given what they'd done since then, it's no surprise to me. <.<
---
#6 Posted: 01:30:08 21/05/2013
I've seen instances of fans calling Ted Price a 'traitor' for liking Skylanders (a game the majority of the classic fanbase really despise we know), and most fans still believe that Insomniac can make them a Spyro game even though they never owned the IP nor the company not intending on making another game.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
#7 Posted: 01:37:18 21/05/2013
I've seen instances of fans calling Ted Price a 'traitor' for liking Skylanders (a game the majority of the classic fanbase really despise we know), and most fans still believe that Insomniac can make them a Spyro game even though they never owned the IP nor the company not intending on making another game.

Aside from Chad Dezern, the Hastings, Ted Price, Brian Allgeier, and maybe John Fiorito, I'm not sure there's anyone left from the team during the Spyro days. IGN did a big-time story on Insomniac's history and the higher ups all felt they ran the course with Spyro.
---
#8 Posted: 01:43:35 21/05/2013
If most of the Classic fans got their precious Insomniac-made classic Spyro game, the LoS fans would dissatisfied.

If the LoS fans got their LoS sequel, then the classic fans would be dissatisfied.

Neither side of the fanbase would be satisfied anyways if classic or Legend Spyro made a reappearance.
---
crystalhero37 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5448
#9 Posted: 07:30:52 21/05/2013
I just try to stay out of it now. I don't want to get heated up over these things (I do like all Spyro's though, I don't hate any of them). It's just people's different opinions (sometimes they show it 'too much' but I just ignore it).
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 08:04:15 23/05/2013 by crystalhero37
Kariana Emerald Sparx Gems: 3057
#10 Posted: 10:47:39 21/05/2013
Im a fan of the classic games, legend series, and Skylanders, so it's all good here.
---
KrazyKari.deviantart.com
#11 Posted: 17:27:32 21/05/2013 | Topic Creator

Honestly, I think it's cool a member of Insomniac can appreciate the new Spyro.
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6124
#12 Posted: 18:40:49 21/05/2013
I'm a fan of the whole Spyro franchise (I even have nice things to say about EtD and DotD, my least favorite games to date) and it drives me nuts that other fans, especially the Insomniac group who are old enough to know better than to behave like spoiled brats, are so obnoxious about Skylanders. I'm really glad there's a Spyro for the new generation and Skylanders brings back the things I loved most about the Insomniac games (with a dash of AHT, which I quite like, thrown in): creativity, silliness, great music, fun, bright colors, and tons of interesting characters. Also toys, which I've wanted from this franchise since it was just a PSM demo disc. :D
#13 Posted: 19:02:53 21/05/2013 | Topic Creator
I know. I've played Skylanders a lot, and the game shows that the designers have definitely played the original Spyro games. The sheep are a throwback, so is Persephone, Flynn, Auric, T-Bone, Hob N' Yaro, and a few others I cannot think of off the top of my head. LoS seemed like a completely different series with Spyro in it. Skylanders is a little different from the originals, but still kind of familiar as well.
#14 Posted: 20:03:38 21/05/2013
I just wish I could still join a Spyro group or look in the tags on tumblr without every fifth post being some turd whining about how bad Skylanders is for no reason. So annoying. >:C
#15 Posted: 20:09:21 21/05/2013
From youtube comments of whiny Spyro fans, though the comments are pretty much the same as it's been said everywhere else on the web.

"Skylanders ruined Spyro and Cynder. Spyro has lost his bad*** and Cynder looks just... wrong. The dragon Camilla from Bartok looks more freaking intimidating. And who are all these stupid side characters? I want Hunter back, I want to kick the crap out of Mr Moneybags. I want wise cracking Sparx. Stop ruining a childhood classic with your unncessary peripherals and make a ******* Spyro game."

"RIP Spyro 1998-2000!!" or "RIP Spyro 1998-2008!!"

"They ruined the hole ******* series! I mean, Where the **** did kaos and those other skylanders come from?? they just appeared out of no where?!?! WE WANT THAT LITTLE DRAGON BACK! NOT SOME IMPOSTER!"

"This made Money!?
People actualy buy this ****!?"

"Spyro 1=Amazing!
Spyro 3=Amazing!
Spyro 3=Amazing
After that Spyro got killed by Legend of bull
the games sold like **** and got mostly bad reviews.
Then Activision came with this Skylanders **** and ****** on spyros grave with really ****** games that only small kids want to play. Sales and reviews were good because every critic is afraid to give any Activision game under 8/10 rating and the game was bundled to billion wiis because nobody would buy that ****"

"I am here to say something that some people care and want back.....

THEY RUINED THE ORIGINAL SPYRO I WANT THE HIM BACK!!!! ------(The legend of spyro a new beginning,the eternal night, dawn of the dragon)------ AND THEY ALSO CANCELED THE MOVIE OF SPYRO!!!!!!! WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE THE BEST GAME IS BEING GONE!!!!! I HATE THIS STUPIED SKYLANDERS GAME NO MATTER WHAT!!!!! AND I DONT WANT SPYRO TO BE IN THIS SKYLANDERS GAME!!!!"
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 20:12:30 21/05/2013 by Aura24
TorchSheep Emerald Sparx Gems: 3376
#16 Posted: 20:42:39 21/05/2013
Let's assess the gens!

GEN 1 (Classic Trilogy)
Although I love these games the most, I still really like games from other gens too. These games will always be special to me, I've always enjoyed games of this type; Collect-a-thons. (That's also why I love Banjo-Kazooie)

GEN 2 (SoI, SoF, EtD, Adventure)
A tad underwhemling to be honest, I did really like SoI, haven't played SoF, Enter the Dragonfly was pretty bad but still a guilty pleasure of mine >.> and Adventure was average

GEN 3 (Fusion, Hero's Tail, Shadow Legacy)
I count this as a separate gen because I notice a kind of theme in each of these games, trying to revolve around elders, and shadow realms, and chi and stuff like that, I personally hate this theme, thankfully it's kind of under toned in AHT so I don't mind it. (Infact I love AHT)

GEN 4 (TLoS Trilogy)
A tad repetitive, still enjoyable in my opinion.

GEN 5 (Skylanders Trilogy)
It's okay, kind of average, and very easy, but I guess it is targeted towards kids... and yes I have played through all of Skylanders 1.
---
"I have my own system, don't get involved"
Jaggedstar Diamond Sparx Gems: 7931
#17 Posted: 20:43:33 21/05/2013
I prefer the Classics over all of them. I have tried both the Legends and Skylanders and wouldn't sit on a Saturday afternoon playing them by choice.
---
Quote: Paytawn
oh my god
MoonHorizons Gold Sparx Gems: 2826
#18 Posted: 20:49:07 21/05/2013
From youtube comments of whiny Spyro fans, though the comments are pretty much the same as it's been said everywhere else on the web.

"Skylanders ruined Spyro and Cynder. Spyro has lost his bad*** and Cynder looks just... wrong. The dragon Camilla from Bartok looks more freaking intimidating. And who are all these stupid side characters? I want Hunter back, I want to kick the crap out of Mr Moneybags. I want wise cracking Sparx. Stop ruining a childhood classic with your unncessary peripherals and make a ******* Spyro game."

"RIP Spyro 1998-2000!!" or "RIP Spyro 1998-2008!!"

"They ruined the hole ******* series! I mean, Where the **** did kaos and those other skylanders come from?? they just appeared out of no where?!?! WE WANT THAT LITTLE DRAGON BACK! NOT SOME IMPOSTER!"

"This made Money!?
People actualy buy this ****!?"

"Spyro 1=Amazing!
Spyro 3=Amazing!
Spyro 3=Amazing
After that Spyro got killed by Legend of bull
the games sold like **** and got mostly bad reviews.
Then Activision came with this Skylanders **** and ****** on spyros grave with really ****** games that only small kids want to play. Sales and reviews were good because every critic is afraid to give any Activision game under 8/10 rating and the game was bundled to billion wiis because nobody would buy that ****"

"I am here to say something that some people care and want back.....

THEY RUINED THE ORIGINAL SPYRO I WANT THE HIM BACK!!!! ------(The legend of spyro a new beginning,the eternal night, dawn of the dragon)------ AND THEY ALSO CANCELED THE MOVIE OF SPYRO!!!!!!! WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE THE BEST GAME IS BEING GONE!!!!! I HATE THIS STUPIED SKYLANDERS GAME NO MATTER WHAT!!!!! AND I DONT WANT SPYRO TO BE IN THIS SKYLANDERS GAME!!!!"

The fanboyism is strong in these comments.
---
the more obscure your favorite cartoons are, the more refined your taste is
#19 Posted: 20:56:40 21/05/2013 | Topic Creator
Quote: [url=http://forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=80421&post=4278365
Now you may wonder why I didn't include Skylanders in that. Well, it's because I personally do not count it as a part of the Spyro franchise. I do still enjoy it, but it's just not Spyro to me. And I actually do agree to a certain degree that Skylanders is killing Spyro, but that's just my opinion. And like I said before, I do still enjoy Skylanders, but it just isn't Spyro to me.

I have always kind of wondered how it's "Not Spyro."
#20 Posted: 21:05:40 21/05/2013
Well there's no characters from the other Spyro series reimagined, like Ignitus, Hunter, and others. The non-jumping in the previous Skylanders console games, Spyro's role being as equal as the other Skylanders and him not being the main character....
---
#21 Posted: 22:53:25 21/05/2013 | Topic Creator
I still think it's a Spyro game regardless. It might just be all the references I mentioned, though. Whether or not it's really a Spyro game, I still like it.

I don't know if it matters, but when I was at a Pokemon forum, I was defending Skylanders against someone who kept saying it sucked without listing any reasons at all, even though I got yelled at for saying Earthbound sucked even though I listed reasons, and eventually I told her that I had never played the game, and they start giving me crap about it. The thing is, I wasn't defending the gameplay, I was merely saying that the game doesn't suck just because it's expensive or a cash cow or not a Spyro game. And wadayano, eventually the person revealed that she hadn't played the game either, yet her friends were sill siding with her, saying the game sucked even without playing it, and pretending "Oh, it's a cash cow/it's not spyro" were good reasons to hate a game they've never played.
#22 Posted: 23:56:09 21/05/2013
Here's something to keep in mind: you may not like this folks, but Skylanders really is Spyro now, no matter what you think. That is what his franchise evolved into and it is the only game with his name in it. He may not be a main character (any more so than the rest) but his licensed, owned property is in this game and being used by the people who own it (Activision). Legally, factually, Skylanders is part of the Spyro franchise. You can have all the opinions you want about it, but it's not going to change reality (nor does it change that Skylanders is far and away the most popular series in the Spyro franchise and is the only reason our favorite purple dragon hasn't gone the way of Crash Bandicoot and Gex).

Whew. Had to get that out there. My favorite Spyro games are and will always be the Insomniac ones, but it's ridiculous and childish for people to keep complaining about Skylanders at this point. It's been three years guys. Skylanders is making more money than the entire decade worth of Spyro games that came before it. It's not going anywhere so quit screaming about it already.
Project_Unnamed Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10445
#23 Posted: 00:49:25 22/05/2013
There is actually one of my more early posts that I will now quote.

Quote: Project_Unnamed
I would like to see some kind of cold fact, evidence or statistics, if you may say, which tell how many of these "Classic loyalists" have played Skylander's and vice versa. It would be nice basis where to build some true discussion on. But to these days we don't posess such an evidence in any form so we have to rely on our own observations.

As earlier said in many of these topics, this conversation has lost its meaning and direction too fast. The problem is this ongoing flaming and provocation between different users that have probably too strong emotional opinions on the subject. And, which is more wrong, this discussion has become about people being mean to each other which benefits no one in any ways.

Back to the topic for a little while, shall we? I cannot actually say opinion about this Skylander's vs Originals feud that has been going on since I do not own Skylander's and PS3 (yes, I'm happily trapped in more ancient and simplier times). But I feel the need to say that the whole debate is quite uninteresting in some ways.

First of all, we have two different games. Other is based on one single game character's universe and its events. And the other one is part of larger scale universe. So by the judgment of the starting points, this doesn't give any fascinating ways to put these two game series in comparsion against each other. Of course I am not denying that one cannot compare techincal aspects of the game such as camera, gameplay etc.

But that flaming war going on here is plain ridiculous. Even if I haven't got the game, I can still say that the whole debate looses its interest when it becomes more about the people who play the games rather than the games themselves. And one has no right to compare those two different game series if one hasn't played them both. Like in all scientific studies and non-scientific studies, you have to get familiar with every objectives of your study. Then you can form the big picture and compare information and values in aspects of quantity or quality together... well even both aspects if you like.

All in all my point is that we should not attack each other in any ways. This forum needs common respect among every member here and quality conversation about the games which is the fundamental reason this place was created for us all. And do not judge wihtout getting familiar with the subjects discussed on this forum.

So IMO, there will always be the ones who think that modern is rubbish and the ones who think that old things are rubbish. But there is a middle way to be found. I actually appreciate Skylanders for keeping Spyro alive in some way. Skylanders is not a legitimate Spyro game as Classics and TLoSs but Skylanders always carries a theoretical hope of things working out. It reminds new gamers that the character has very important history and it reminds that character has to go somewhere to keep its level of interest.

I do not even myself know that did that conclusion make sense of any kind. Let me know.
---
I might give you more opinions... for a small fee of course.
#24 Posted: 01:00:50 22/05/2013
Er, your phrase "Skylanders is not a legitimate Spyro game" kind of negates most of your post. Like I said, Skylanders is a legitimate Spyro game by the definition of that word. It's only a non-Spyro game in terms of the opinions of some people.

Personally, if we're going to go with the opinion route and play it that way, I'd say Skylanders is more a Spyro game than LoS. It's got the fun heart and spirit of the original Spyro games that LoS is lacking. But that's just me and I actually don't like playing that opinion game. Spyro is Spyro is Spyro, be it Insomniac, LoS, Skylanders, or any other game that has a purple dragon named Spyro in it.
Project_Unnamed Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10445
#25 Posted: 01:12:46 22/05/2013
Quote: Razz
Er, your phrase "Skylanders is not a legitimate Spyro game" kind of negates most of your post. Like I said, Skylanders is a legitimate Spyro game by the definition of that word. It's only a non-Spyro game in terms of the opinions of some people.

Personally, if we're going to go with the opinion route and play it that way, I'd say Skylanders is more a Spyro game than LoS. It's got the fun heart and spirit of the original Spyro games that LoS is lacking. But that's just me and I actually don't like playing that opinion game. Spyro is Spyro is Spyro, be it Insomniac, LoS, Skylanders, or any other game that has a purple dragon named Spyro in it.

You're opinion is most likely to be close to truth than mine because you have experience from the both games. You have all-around knowledge. But I cannot accept Skylanders related Spyro games in this instance to be "real Spyro games" for now. Skylanders is a whole new universe and Spyro is just and building factor in that universe rather than the main point itself. But probably someday I'll be able to observe on this thing from a whole different angle.
---
I might give you more opinions... for a small fee of course.
#26 Posted: 15:20:48 22/05/2013
Quote: Razz
Here's something to keep in mind: you may not like this folks, but Skylanders really is Spyro now, no matter what you think. That is what his franchise evolved into and it is the only game with his name in it. He may not be a main character (any more so than the rest) but his licensed, owned property is in this game and being used by the people who own it (Activision). Legally, factually, Skylanders is part of the Spyro franchise. You can have all the opinions you want about it, but it's not going to change reality (nor does it change that Skylanders is far and away the most popular series in the Spyro franchise and is the only reason our favorite purple dragon hasn't gone the way of Crash Bandicoot and Gex).

Whew. Had to get that out there. My favorite Spyro games are and will always be the Insomniac ones, but it's ridiculous and childish for people to keep complaining about Skylanders at this point. It's been three years guys. Skylanders is making more money than the entire decade worth of Spyro games that came before it. It's not going anywhere so quit screaming about it already.

I guess you're right. But who knows what'll happen in the future?
---
oh my god
Tynesider Yellow Sparx Gems: 1612
#27 Posted: 15:31:32 22/05/2013
In every fandom there will always be a group of people who hole themselves into a corner and refuse to come out, and I've always wondered what the point of it is. I'm a Classic Spyro person, but I've never felt any animosity at all towards TLOS and Skylanders. It's just a new way of telling the story - I may not agree with that particular way, but there are those who do, and I don't see why people can say they are 'wrong' for that.
---
GANN VOORT ET KRAENEN!!!
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:41:45 22/05/2013 by Tynesider
#28 Posted: 16:37:39 22/05/2013
In my opinion, Skylanders is sort of Spyro in that it's a franchise stemming off from the already established Spyro franchise. However, if Skylanders is still around with new games by the end of the decade, I will definitely consider it to be its own franchise, since it will have existed for just as long as the classic/Legend games did. And considering ActiBlizz's penchant for long running franchises (World of Warcraft, Call of Duty, Guitar Hero, etc.), that's a very real possibility. <.<
---
#29 Posted: 17:24:58 22/05/2013
Skylanders is a spin-off, like Joey is from Friends.
---
oh my god
SamXala Gold Sparx Gems: 2398
#30 Posted: 19:18:20 22/05/2013
Okay...

Classics: I love the classics, it was part of my Childhood and I still play them.

Legend: I like the Legend series, I mean, it was different from classics but I like the storyline of the 3 games, I still play them ^-^

Skylanders: Okay, I just play SSA in my PS3 (Skylanders Spyro's Adventure), but the game was bad (no ofence), the storyline at the beginning was okay but then it becomes repetitive and Boring, I didn't like the voice acting, the characters are very annoying, So many glitches in my first playthrough (Including the Final Battle) and the OST is awful, I mean, most of the OST are the same thing, it just have a little difference from each other (I now because I have the original OST of the game and the game, I spend hours to figure out this issue). Personaly, I don't consider "Skylanders" as part of the Spyro's Franchise....
---
O_0 Holy Cow!! I'm a Gold Sparx!
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:18:46 22/05/2013 by SamXala
LevanJess Emerald Sparx Gems: 3516
#31 Posted: 00:11:36 23/05/2013
>mfw classic ***s constantly rage over skylanders (instead of just, you know, playing games they actually ENJOY) and think that every single picture of classic spyro should be turned into a skylander/LoS hate fest and think sending death threats to activision will help

[User Posted Image]

(seriously, I enjoy all three Spyros. Classic is my favorite and LoS my least, but I still really like them all. I wouldn't judge any new series by Spyro's design or just because they're new (not saying anyone here is doing so, just saying in advance))
---
but i love it all smooth
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 00:17:47 23/05/2013 by LevanJess
#32 Posted: 14:04:11 23/05/2013 | Topic Creator
Quote: MugoUrth
I know. I've played Skylanders a lot, and the game shows that the designers have definitely played the original Spyro games. The sheep are a throwback, so is Persephone, Flynn, Auric, T-Bone, Hob N' Yaro, and a few others I cannot think of off the top of my head. LoS seemed like a completely different series with Spyro in it. Skylanders is a little different from the originals, but still kind of familiar as well.

Oh yeah, and the Timidclops are ones I forgot. In the original Spyro Games, early enemies would often run away cowardly from you, sometimes even stand somewhere and shiver in fear. In the Crystal Eye Castle stage, some of the Cyclops roll barrels down a slope, but if you make it up the slope, they run cowardly and shiver in fear.
Star Dragon Platinum Sparx Gems: 5323
#33 Posted: 15:20:52 23/05/2013
Classic Even today, the first three Spyro games on PS1 are still great fun to play and, in my opinion, will always be the best games in the Spyro series. The first three GBA games were good too but everything else to do with classic Spyro I didn't like (Hated ETD and only got halfway through AHT and Shadow Legacy and got bored of both games).

Legend For me this is the weakest Spyro series. I didn't enjoy the first two games (I thought they were boring and hard) but I did quite enjoy the third game.

Skylanders I still can't bring myself to like Spyro's Skylander design, however if his name wasn't in the title of the first game I probably wouldn't have tried the series. I enjoy Skylanders for what it is but it has pretty much become it's own game series and I wouldn't consider the games to be true Spyro games (Spyro is one of my least used characters as well).
---
What! Marco sent you here? I've got a restraining order against him! - Rapunzel, Spyro 3
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 15:34:50 23/05/2013 by Star Dragon
#34 Posted: 00:19:56 24/05/2013
Quote: LevanJess
>mfw classic ***s constantly rage over skylanders (instead of just, you know, playing games they actually ENJOY) and think that every single picture of classic spyro should be turned into a skylander/LoS hate fest and think sending death threats to activision will help

I'm usually thinking 'Is this the fanbase I've grown up with?'.
---
iSO Emerald Sparx Gems: 3143
#35 Posted: 10:43:27 25/05/2013
I'm currently replaying the original trilogy, they're great as they are; I also played the GBA games, but fair somewhat less than the original trilogy. I didn't get to the other games before the LOS series hits along. I don't hate the other two (LOS, and Skylanders) because I wasn't in the flamewars when that happened. I haven't played the Legend of Spyro series, and haven't decided whether to do it or not despite the abundance of cliches I heard secondhand.

I only played Skylanders Giants from Skylanders, it was alright. I didn't expected anything great and went with it with no expectations. It's a Diablo-lite game. It didn't click to me at first, but realized it had it's own place for their own area on having it's charm. I don't have the Spyro figurine, so keeping that in mind. I'm not sure if I wanted to spend a ton of money on the figurines; most likely the dragon ones, that's it. I didn't get Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure due to the burnout of maintaining a megatopic that checking from the forums, inspired someone else to take over, which is User:bionicle2809. Thanks again!

I personally think it would've done a reboot due to the untapped potential of game mechanics and polish 'em up especially as a 3D platformer game. However, I understand the market scenario Activision is facing today. The series is competing against child-friendly games like veterans such as Mario series and Nintendo games in general, and newcomers such as Angry Birds, LittleBigPlanet, and other games I might have missed. So what do they do to stand out for Activision? Magical figurines!

Are there any kid-friendly games on the market that are not licensed titles and Nintendo titles? Plus, I think they would avoid giving either rabid parts of the Spyro fanbase (Original and LOS) the satisfaction of a new game due to their unruly behavior. Just having a reboot of going back to the original games and expanding the game mechanics mightn't not be enough to stand themselves out. And while I'm didn't dive into the LOS series yet, what story is left to tell to be honest?

Anyway, I personally think it would be a lot more fun to draw and think up ideas by yourself rather than wasting energy yelling at other people and causing a ruckus. In fact, I did this on Razz's Favorite Unusual/Uncommon Ships + Forum Challenge thread, with my contribution being Spyro X Sheep X Sparx. This is where I typed up a ton of info regarding the relationship not only in an interaction with each others standpoint, but in a game mechanics standpoint as well. I loved mixing both of these things together to form a carefully crafted concept. I stopped it after Razz left and closed the thread before it ended. She was the one who encouraged me to keep going with the feedback I received.

This is longer than I expected, but the typing is worth it.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 10:44:07 25/05/2013 by iSO
#36 Posted: 21:20:51 25/05/2013 | Topic Creator
I've always thought of this, but I think Skylanders is especially welcome on the XBox360 where it has the biggest niche to fill. The Wii is filled with family friendly games, while the PS3 has some family friendly games but a lot of mature ones, while the XBox360 has barely any family games compared to the others.
#37 Posted: 21:25:13 25/05/2013
Quote: MugoUrth
I've always thought of this, but I think Skylanders is especially welcome on the XBox360 where it has the biggest niche to fill. The Wii is filled with family friendly games, while the PS3 has some family friendly games but a lot of mature ones, while the XBox360 has barely any family games compared to the others.

I disagree. Solely because of the Kinect. <.<
---
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me