darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure > Will a 360 giants portal work with the 360 version of SSA?
Page 1 of 1
Will a 360 giants portal work with the 360 version of SSA? [CLOSED]
flashwingftw Emerald Sparx Gems: 3332
#1 Posted: 12:45:00 23/03/2013 | Topic Creator
I need to know
---
The PinkPrint is on iTunes now! #TeamMinaj
Been here for 3 years and still can't figure out why half of the people are so damn rude.
R.I.P to my wallet
I-Brawler Emerald Sparx Gems: 3565
#2 Posted: 12:47:08 23/03/2013
most likely
---
you never saw me
Hazard335 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1435
#3 Posted: 13:02:50 23/03/2013
yes it will
HotDogAndZap Emerald Sparx Gems: 3531
#4 Posted: 20:37:16 23/03/2013
yeah I have done it before. same technology, just a diffrent look.
kappapopm Ripto Gems: 1186
#5 Posted: 21:27:20 23/03/2013
yes it will......
niceguy1 Blue Sparx Gems: 532
#6 Posted: 10:56:14 04/04/2013
I believe I've heard official confirmation (somewhere, if I could remember anything I would link) that the portals are compatible both ways. I think they quite did this on purpose, I hear that all the wireless portals were EATING batteries, which is why all Giants portals are wired. Making them compatible with SSA would mean that this problem can be relieved.

At the very least, I expect so.
---
SSA- smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
SG- smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilieLCsmilie
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#7 Posted: 15:36:29 04/04/2013
I have all 3 systems...I am pretty sure any console portal will work with another console portal. Why you say? It's just a USB device. It even works on the PC for Universe. Not so sure where the notion came from. Maybe the DS/mobile portals have quirks (I know they are bluetooth, but that's even an open standard).

You guys should've been around when you had to configure IRQs and PORT numbers for your hardware devices to be recognized---sometimes by configuring DIP switches.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:37:37 04/04/2013 by GhostRoaster
ATVIAssist Blue Sparx Gems: 978
#8 Posted: 22:23:34 04/04/2013
Hello All,
Just wanted to give confirmation that the portal will work! The only instances the portals may be incompatible are if you are trying to use a wired 360 to PS3, since the usb ports are different. Hope this clears things up ! ^JG
---
ATVIassist. Follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/ActivisionAssist and Twitter https://twitter.com/ATVIAssist
#9 Posted: 23:25:57 04/04/2013
Quote: ATVIAssist
Hello All,
Just wanted to give confirmation that the portal will work! The only instances the portals may be incompatible are if you are trying to use a wired 360 to PS3, since the usb ports are different. Hope this clears things up ! ^JG

Hmmm....USB is an open standard---what would be different? I'm pretty sure either would work with either. Can anyone confirm that NOT the case?
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
#10 Posted: 00:17:09 05/04/2013
Quote: GhostRoaster
Hello All,

Hmmm....USB is an open standard---what would be different? I'm pretty sure either would work with either. Can anyone confirm that NOT the case?

_I_ can confirm that the portals are NOT inter-compatible. Tried to force my nephews' Wii to use my XBox portal, it didn't even notice it was there. The fact that they work on PCs is meaningless, they were all designed to do that for Skylanders Universe. Also a computer is more capable, all it needs is a driver which can understand how to communicate with the portal, which we get from the Skylanders Universe website. The game on the console is only told to expect one thing.

USB, which of course stands for UNIVERSAL Serial Bus, is of course a standard. But what the console does with it isn't necessarily so. I don't know the specifics, but the standard would dictate that, for example, Pin 1 must provide power, 5 volts of power, and that will be true on all USB ports and plugs. But the XBox portal might use Pin 2 to tell the portal to turn on the lights, while on the PS3 it uses Pin 3 for that. Since USB plugs are used for so many different devices, different pins have to do different things, depending on what the device needs. So although it's a standard, it also can be incompatible.

I used to work doing game testing, and at one point it was at EA Mobile, testing games for a multitude of cell phones, with a multitude of chargers and a multitude of USB cables. Very often a cable or charger which physically fit wouldn't actually work, we'd have to check it. In fact, my very own phone has a micro-USB for the data and charging port. The charger which came with the phone, I can turn off the phone and let it charge faster while off. I got a spare charger, on THAT one the phone automatically turns itself on, always. This proves that the plugs aren't wired completely the same, and the difference triggers my phone to turn on.
---
SSA- smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
SG- smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilieLCsmilie
Matteomax Platinum Sparx Gems: 5378
#11 Posted: 02:24:47 05/04/2013
Yes, even the 3DS Portal and the iOS Portals work with the Wii, you just need to use the iOS wire to hook up the 3DS one.
---
Will still be checking the forums every now and then!
#12 Posted: 04:55:21 05/04/2013
Quote: niceguy1
Quote: GhostRoaster
Hello All,

_I_ can confirm that the portals are NOT inter-compatible. Tried to force my nephews' Wii to use my XBox portal, it didn't even notice it was there. The fact that they work on PCs is meaningless, they were all designed to do that for Skylanders Universe. Also a computer is more capable, all it needs is a driver which can understand how to communicate with the portal, which we get from the Skylanders Universe website. The game on the console is only told to expect one thing.

USB, which of course stands for UNIVERSAL Serial Bus, is of course a standard. But what the console does with it isn't necessarily so. I don't know the specifics, but the standard would dictate that, for example, Pin 1 must provide power, 5 volts of power, and that will be true on all USB ports and plugs. But the XBox portal might use Pin 2 to tell the portal to turn on the lights, while on the PS3 it uses Pin 3 for that. Since USB plugs are used for so many different devices, different pins have to do different things, depending on what the device needs. So although it's a standard, it also can be incompatible.

I used to work doing game testing, and at one point it was at EA Mobile, testing games for a multitude of cell phones, with a multitude of chargers and a multitude of USB cables. Very often a cable or charger which physically fit wouldn't actually work, we'd have to check it. In fact, my very own phone has a micro-USB for the data and charging port. The charger which came with the phone, I can turn off the phone and let it charge faster while off. I got a spare charger, on THAT one the phone automatically turns itself on, always. This proves that the plugs aren't wired completely the same, and the difference triggers my phone to turn on.

Interesting. I guess I made an assumption that each version of the program was using the same standard--I mean that would be a pita for both developers and consumers if we had to discern the difference. Now I feel compelled to understand why it's incompatible. But--keep in mind that the PC driver is understanding all of the different versions at the same time? That sounds fishy to me. I do know the name of the Universe pc driver has xbox in the name...

I've done my fair share of software testing to know never to assume anything...the game's ubiquitous technology lulled me into a false sense of security here I guess.

Interesting read here: http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_fo...39/1981046.aspx

Interesting is that they are saying the Wii/PS3 portals are interchangeable, but the Xbox is not. I'm curious to understand why.

Looking here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards...enture/61473700

"Just an update, here's a response I got straight from Activision asking them which portals were compatible with which systems:

Hello, Thank you for contacting Activision Customer Support. Yes but they are not all compatible. The Xbox portal will only work on an Xbox. The 3DS portal is universal and will work on any system except an Xbox. The PS3 and Wii have the same portal and will be interchangeable and can also work in the PC version of the game. The PC portal will only work on the PC version of the game. All portals will work for the Web world. Please feel free to contact us again for technical issues or questions
Have a Happy Holidays!

So according to them, there are NO portals, including the 3DS one, that will work on an xbox, aside from the xb360 portal itself. I might just bundle up everything & see if I can swap the wii version for the xb360 one somewhere."

So Xbox is the ugly duckling.
---
Edited 5 times - Last edited at 05:03:44 05/04/2013 by GhostRoaster
#13 Posted: 09:30:20 06/04/2013
I hadn't heard EXACT details, but I knew I read about some incompatibilities, I know I specifically read that PS3 and XBox were not compatible with each other.

As for why, I agree, this is stupid. Should be one portal, compatible with all systems like the figures are. The only thing I can think is that some systems (maybe XBox specifically) have some additional USB requirements that conflict with each other. Otherwise, this was arbitrary and stupid.

And I notice the PC game is finicky too, from what I understand from what you quoted... Can't use ANY other portal (maybe), and the PC portal won't work on any other system, as I understand it. Which is weird since all portals work on the PC for the Web game.

I HAD assumed that when I installed the drivers that it detected that my portal was the XBox portal, and hence it installed the XBox version of the driver, hence specifying "XBox" in the name.
---
ItalianGamer97 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1378
#14 Posted: 18:27:10 19/05/2013
I think why the Xbox portal doesn't work on any other console is because of a special security chip somewhere in the portal. I tried using an Xbox 360 controller on the PS3, but it came up as an unknown device. either that or MS isn't willing to give PS3 users the ability to use it or Sony doesn't want 360 controllers being used on their system. It could also just be simple incompatibility.
---
And to prevent confusion, I am in the U.S. and I am part Italian.
MugoUrth Ripto Gems: 3234
#15 Posted: 18:36:31 19/05/2013
Ironically, my Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure pack came with a Giants portal, so I should know it works.
#16 Posted: 20:32:08 19/05/2013
Just because they're both game controllers doesn't mean they should work interchangably, ItalianGamer! They go out of their WAY to be different. If XBox controllers worked on PS3s, then you could just get an XBox controller when you need one, instead of having to buy a PS3 one and giving Sony more money. The last time I knew of anything comparable was Rock Band. As far as I know, the instruments can only be used on the systems they're designed for.

It's like saying "I have a front door key, my friend has a front door, I should be able to open his door!" Yes, really, it's exactly like that. They don't work, it's on purpose, it would never work unless Microsoft and Sony had a meeting to discuss and agree on the wiring and wireless communications of the controllers. There's no way they'd work unless it was VERY on purpose.

In the end, how the USB socket is wired and used in the console is completely up to the console designer. It appears that Microsoft went a different way with these decisions than the other consoles did. The difference is big enough that the portals had to be different.
---
ItalianGamer97 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1378
#17 Posted: 03:00:32 25/05/2013
Well, I knew that Sony/MS probably wouldn't make their controllers interchangeable with their competitor's system (unless by a freak accident of sorts.) To be honest, I plugged the wired 360 controller I had into my PS3 for my curiosity to see what message pops up when it's plugged in. And I agree on the wiring of the usb port possibly depending the X portal works or not on Y system. And on a somewhat unrelated note, I've tried the 3DS SSA portal hooked up via the micro-usb included in the starter pack in the PS3 version of Giants, and it worked.
---
And to prevent confusion, I am in the U.S. and I am part Italian.
#18 Posted: 03:07:46 26/05/2013
Yeah, apparently all (or just about all) the portals work interchangably, except XBox. XBox won't see another portal, and XBox portals won't work on other systems. Someone with a Wii tested a bunch and it seems like he has every portal, and from his report it sounds like all but the XBox ones worked on his Wii.

As I'm sure you can understand from my previous post, I was quite surprised at how much compatibility is going on here! LOL!

(The difference here is that the controllers are Microsoft's devices, while the portal is Activision's device. Microsoft wouldn't support/co-operate with the competition, while Activision is working across all systems)
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:09:25 26/05/2013 by niceguy1
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me