darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Swap Force > Why is everyone obsessed with online mode?
Page 1 of 1
Why is everyone obsessed with online mode? [CLOSED]
ClayFace Blue Sparx Gems: 835
#1 Posted: 10:58:34 05/03/2013 | Topic Creator
All I see are people not wanting to get this game just because of no online mode. I can go without it.
FLEIJA Green Sparx Gems: 395
#2 Posted: 11:04:51 05/03/2013
Umm its standard to most games, meet new friends, extended game play, fix bugs,online pvp, dl more contents, online coop etc the list goes on. Its not deal breaker its just a huge let down for SSF.
---
MIA: Volcanic Vault & Gnarly Tree Rex
GamingMaster_76 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1271
#3 Posted: 13:28:49 05/03/2013
Because it would extend the replay value in a series that sort of needs it. For people who buy all the figures what is available now gets repetitive, if we had online we would have the opportunity to battle tons of new opponents, which would at least feel new even if it were the same old battle mode. I don't think too many are clamouring for co-op online though.
kappapopm Ripto Gems: 1186
#4 Posted: 17:05:57 05/03/2013
a 5 hour game where you must buy figurines that will cost you up to 2000 dollars... and you say you can go without it. i dont think you see the big picture here, 1 and 2 games its okay. the first game was a test to see how it did, the second was more a expansion of the first because the first was so successful...

third one i dont see why people just should accept the same YET again.. bring something new to the table. the most wanted option is online and what we have seen from the two first game, it have all the function needed to let it be done. so there is no reason whatever to not include online in the third game.

getting online is about getting more game time with the game and that is of most important. by not buying swap farce you will give a clear indication to activision you want online game play...
Cozmo Blue Sparx Gems: 770
#5 Posted: 17:18:53 05/03/2013
As a parent of little kids i can see the appeal of not including online gamimg, but that can be restricted by the parent.

However, i can see the worry. All it takes is one bad online encounter, and it can turn off a kid to a franchise forever.
byhi Green Sparx Gems: 117
#6 Posted: 17:50:41 05/03/2013
Extending the play for sure is a big issue. My best friend lives 30 minutes from me and we love to play against eachother but only get too maybe once a week. If we had online, then it would be on like Donkey Kong! I think co-op would be a lot of fun online too. As long as they do it like the Wii and have no speach or text interactions, I don't see how it could turn into a bad experience. That way they can preserve the family aspect of the game while catering to the more adult side of the rest of the game.
IJJusion Green Sparx Gems: 136
#7 Posted: 19:29:00 05/03/2013
the best thing to do in this game after you finish it is to play Vs mode.

I, along with many others cannot play Vs mode whenever they want because they dont have another person in the house who actively plays the game

online mode removes this barrier, and it allows extra things such as ladders/rewards for competing, making it all the better.
Ryanator20x6 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1848
#8 Posted: 22:53:59 05/03/2013
I just want an online mode, I'll still buy it. *whispers* Don't tell Activision!
---
Hello from Seattle

ask.fm/RyanNeely889
ThePunchPopFizz Green Sparx Gems: 258
#9 Posted: 23:33:18 05/03/2013
Online could easily be blocked for kids. Or just don't have chat. If losing in pvp turns a kid off to the entire series then they need to have their parents teach them the valuable life lesson. You don't always win.

I don't see a problem for kids if there's no chat.
---
Ravens Nation.
Activate: PunchPopFizz
TerraFizz Yellow Sparx Gems: 1484
#10 Posted: 23:44:01 05/03/2013
Quote: FLEIJA
Umm its standard to most games

Only if you've just recently started gaming. If you've been playing games for years and years, you're used to no online and sometimes even no multiplayer, and things were fine.

However, that was because those games tended to give a LOT of single player content that could last you for a very long time along with a lot of replay value. The problem Skylanders has now that once you're done 100 percent with the game there is literally NOTHING else for you to do. That's why online is needed so that you'd have something to do with your new figures other than just going through the same levels over and over again just to level them up.
---
smilie Pop Fizz's Theme Song: smilie
http://youtu.be/zpE08s1g7m4
FLEIJA Green Sparx Gems: 395
#11 Posted: 01:30:34 06/03/2013
Ive been a gamer since i was in diapers to single, multi, offline, lan and online games but Soon as internet dial up era (prolly most of you werent born yet)became popular online game was catered to gamers I remember playing rts or fantasy browser game way back in the day. They added this online feature just to extend gameplay, update contents, fix bugs, pvp which is exactly most modern games do with current online features or way more.

They managed to create a whole game from scratch how hard it is to have a online mode with parental or security or friends only options if Activision is so afraid of online pedobears or rage freaks.

Online mode just opens up a whole new level of gameplay rather being repetative. Not to mention meet new portal masters to play with. This will also appeal not only to kids but to adult as well.

Like I mentioned its not a deal breaker for skylanders since its real target audience are kids but its still a huge letdown.
---
MIA: Volcanic Vault & Gnarly Tree Rex
Hexin_Wishes Yellow Sparx Gems: 1522
#12 Posted: 02:17:55 06/03/2013
Mainly to extend the life of the game. This game is definitely no Arkham Asylum/City so there is VERY little to-do after the story is over (or, before the people spouting the unappealing bonuses, there is nothing INTERESTING/REWARDING to do).

I just feel they should remove Skylanders Universe and make good use of those servers for the console if anything!
#13 Posted: 13:32:19 06/03/2013
But Skylanders Universe is awesome! D: They just need to fix all the stupid server-side bugs and make leveling a bit faster.

I swear that I like all the unpopular things. Yes, I even like Jar-Jar Binks. smilie I don't see what people have against these kinds of stuff...
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 13:33:03 06/03/2013 by GamingMaster_76
NEW_SpyroLUVA Emerald Sparx Gems: 3308
#14 Posted: 16:36:22 06/03/2013
I'm not obsessed with it, but if they gave us tools to build and costomize our own levels and even characters and share them globally, I'd be all over it.
---
3 uses of teh Int@rw3bz: get info, waste time, and complain.
"Stick to your guns and keep on firin'!" - Max (Me)
DarthW Yellow Sparx Gems: 1951
#15 Posted: 19:13:28 06/03/2013
As an adult gamer, I *love* the idea of adding online play to Skylanders. As a parent, it concerns me.

This forum alone shows how many adults play this game and I really don't want my 5 and 7 year old kids playing online games with strange adults. If I knew that there was a friends system that parents could THOROUGHLY control, then I would be all for it. That means that as a parent, not only do I want to be able to enable/disable online play, but I want to configure it in a way that I have to enter a password every time online play is launched and to personally approve all friend requests. That way I can maintain who their friends in the game are as well as only allow them to play online at appropriate times (our kids aren't allow to just turn on the Wii and play it whenever they have free time).

Either that or the online play will need to be incredibly anemic to make it safe for young kids... where no real names are allowed, no chatting, etc... kind of like they have Universe set up. Maybe only allow totally random and anonymous multiplayer online, etc. Personally, I think that kind of online functionality sucks and it would NOT be a selling point for me.

If there is going to be online content, I would rather it be full-featured, but implemented in a way that puts all of the keys in the parents' hands... I just doubt they would do it that way.

Otherwise, just leave the online content out.

The other reason I'm not 100% for online content in Slylanders is that one of the really neat things about the franchise is using figures to unlock things, but I fear that ANY online content will lead to "virtual" characters and items that you have to buy online with money or "gems" (like in Lost Islands or the other iOS titles). I'm not ready to start down the road of spending real-world currency to unlock virtual items. I would much rather my kids be able to save up their money and buy physical character figures/adventure packs/etc at the store that they can also play with when the TV isn't on or take to their friends' house, etc.

If the game's primary market was for teens or adults, I would feel differently, but this is a kids game (that is also very fun for teens and adults to play) and we need to keep that in mind.

EDIT: By "strange adults", I don't just mean weirdos... I mean people I don't know in general.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:20:54 06/03/2013 by DarthW
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#16 Posted: 19:26:41 06/03/2013
^This. Yeah, the game is literally aimed towards 6-8 to 12 year old children, who aren't ready for the online world yet and there's the risk of them interacting with unfamiliar people online.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:35:43 06/03/2013 by Aura24
nitendofan92 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4572
#17 Posted: 20:29:37 06/03/2013
Umm its standard to most games, meet new friends, extended game play, fix bugs,online pvp, dl more contents, online coop etc the list goes on. Its not deal breaker its just a huge let down for SSF.

this^
---
THE END IS NEAR
EmperorKaos Emerald Sparx Gems: 4399
#18 Posted: 20:53:01 06/03/2013

They dont even allow a decent talk on skylanders universe and you guys are expecting a online gameplay
#19 Posted: 21:32:54 06/03/2013
Quote: DarthW
As an adult gamer, I *love* the idea of adding online play to Skylanders. As a parent, it concerns me.

This forum alone shows how many adults play this game and I really don't want my 5 and 7 year old kids playing online games with strange adults. If I knew that there was a friends system that parents could THOROUGHLY control, then I would be all for it. That means that as a parent, not only do I want to be able to enable/disable online play, but I want to configure it in a way that I have to enter a password every time online play is launched and to personally approve all friend requests. That way I can maintain who their friends in the game are as well as only allow them to play online at appropriate times (our kids aren't allow to just turn on the Wii and play it whenever they have free time).

Either that or the online play will need to be incredibly anemic to make it safe for young kids... where no real names are allowed, no chatting, etc... kind of like they have Universe set up. Maybe only allow totally random and anonymous multiplayer online, etc. Personally, I think that kind of online functionality sucks and it would NOT be a selling point for me.

If there is going to be online content, I would rather it be full-featured, but implemented in a way that puts all of the keys in the parents' hands... I just doubt they would do it that way.

The other reason I'm not 100% for online content in Slylanders is that one of the really neat things about the franchise is using figures to unlock things, but I fear that ANY online content will lead to "virtual" characters and items that you have to buy online with money or "gems" (like in Lost Islands or the other iOS titles). I'm not ready to start down the road of spending real-world currency to unlock virtual items. I would much rather my kids be able to save up their money and buy physical character figures/adventure packs/etc at the store that they can also play with when the TV isn't on or take to their friends' house, etc.

If the game's primary market was for teens or adults, I would feel differently, but this is a kids game (that is also very fun for teens and adults to play) and we need to keep that in mind.

EDIT: By "strange adults", I don't just mean weirdos... I mean people I don't know in general.

I dont believe the primary reason why people want online is to socialize, i would be happy if it just had online pvp mode and there was no way at all to talk to each other i would be very happy with it.

we just want online mode, we dont want to sit there and talk to random people all day.

EDIT: also, i dont see how you could think theyd ever add in virtual figures, the entire game is based around toys, theyd be going back on their own game, what it would allow is things like custom skins much like League of legends, which can only be a good thing.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 22:55:10 06/03/2013 by IJJusion
pigman50 Green Sparx Gems: 294
#20 Posted: 22:02:09 06/03/2013
They'd have to make it do that the figure is saved into the game before you start, so that you can't change it during a match. Could you imagine if you were playing online and your opponent's portal died? Or what if they were a troll and just knocked their skylander off the portal? You'd have to load the figure on for online play, then put it back on to update afterwards, much like the system already implemented in the 3DS version.
---
AoSTH quote of the week:
Quote: Sonic (At Robotnik)
Well this is a switch! A whale carrying a harpoon!

#21 Posted: 23:09:36 06/03/2013
best not let your kid play online... they could meet thiz guy..

[User Posted Image]
#22 Posted: 23:11:12 06/03/2013
woah woah woah, dont insult him, hes a level 54 paladin with the sword of righteousness.
#23 Posted: 23:12:21 06/03/2013
Quote: IJJusion

I dont believe the primary reason why people want online is to socialize, i would be happy if it just had online pvp mode and there was no way at all to talk to each other i would be very happy with it.
we just want online mode, we dont want to sit there and talk to random people all day.

Right... totally random, totally anonymous online PVP with zero ability to communicate? I think that would not add much genuine replayability to Skylanders as we know it, unless the PVP arenas are vastly expanded in size and complexity compared to the first two games.

Quick PVP matches are fun when you can chat with your friends while playing, going through the menus, waiting at loading screens, etc. But if all you do is wait 90 seconds for a random stranger to start a match and a PVP level to load, and that match could be be over in under 5 minutes, it seems like a fat waste of time to me. But, that's just me. I find the real value in online play to be either A) Socializing while playing or smilieBeing able to settle in for a long time and play a game with someone when you don't have anyone local to play with.

I really see no point in any online play for Skylanders unless it includes Co-op or large scale PVP (maybe on the main levels, not tiny arenas... or better yet, add a capture the flag PVP game), but I can also see co-op being a nightmare to implement with how the communication has to happen when both players are switching their figures around at the same time, etc.

I guess lame PVP is marginally better than none, but then it's not a really hot selling point, either.

I doubt that the developers won't take the time to design a well-implemented, parent controlled online gameplay experience for kids that does NOT require a subscription or a PC, but I think it would be awesome if they would. THAT would be a great way for them to take it to the next level vis-a-vis Disney's upcoming Infinity product.

Either way, I'll buy Swap Force and be happy with it, I am sure. I'll probably even buy a Wii U at the same time so we can play it in HD.

RE: Virtual figures, of course they would. They have done it with all of the iOS games and those support physical portals/figures, so it's not as if they did it out of game-design necessity... they did it so people would pay more money to unlock virtual in game content.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:15:32 06/03/2013 by DarthW
#24 Posted: 23:13:41 06/03/2013
woah woah woah, dont insult him, hes a level 54 paladin with the sword of righteousness.

LOL!... best let him win the skylander online battle mode or he maybe set your portal on fire LOLLOLOLOLL!!1
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 23:15:00 06/03/2013 by kappapopm
#25 Posted: 23:16:37 06/03/2013
Quote: kappapopm
best not let your kid play online... they could meet thiz guy..

[User Posted Image]

How did you get that?!?!? Did you hack into my webcam?
#26 Posted: 23:22:45 06/03/2013
LOLOLOLOLL!!1
greenyoshi07 Blue Sparx Gems: 568
#27 Posted: 00:05:43 07/03/2013
basically I want online because it extends the life of the game
NEW_SpyroLUVA Emerald Sparx Gems: 3308
#28 Posted: 00:58:16 07/03/2013
^True
---
3 uses of teh Int@rw3bz: get info, waste time, and complain.
"Stick to your guns and keep on firin'!" - Max (Me)
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#29 Posted: 01:52:41 07/03/2013
Quote: kappapopm
a 5 hour game where you must buy figurines that will cost you up to 2000 dollars... and you say you can go without it. i dont think you see the big picture here, 1 and 2 games its okay. the first game was a test to see how it did, the second was more a expansion of the first because the first was so successful...

third one i dont see why people just should accept the same YET again.. bring something new to the table. the most wanted option is online and what we have seen from the two first game, it have all the function needed to let it be done. so there is no reason whatever to not include online in the third game.

getting online is about getting more game time with the game and that is of most important. by not buying swap farce you will give a clear indication to activision you want online game play...

I support this post.

Quote: greenyoshi07
basically I want online because it extends the life of the game

That's a shorter version, but yes.

So, I understand your concern--I'm a parent as well. If the social aspects were controlled in-game with good parental controls I would be ok. We also have enough sense to have our son play in a public room so we know what's going on. My son is almost a tween, so your mileage may vary. I can understand younger players wanting this option removed. Again--a quick password setting could fix that and remove purchases--those are usually stored in the game system settings. I know I set that up on my PS3.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Edited 5 times - Last edited at 02:00:46 07/03/2013 by GhostRoaster
#30 Posted: 05:41:46 07/03/2013

Right... totally random, totally anonymous online PVP with zero ability to communicate? I think that would not add much genuine replayability to Skylanders as we know it, unless the PVP arenas are vastly expanded in size and complexity compared to the first two games.

the way it 'should' work is completely random matchmaking based off player ranks

set amount of points = higher rank 100 pts rank 1 500pts rank 2 etc etc etc

winning = points
winning against stronger ranked opponents = more points
winning against weaker ranked opponents = less points

losing = lose points depending on opponents rank.

then you have the ladder ranking system which displays where you rank. this gives people motivation to play, and gives everyone the ability to play against other people as opposed to AI and test your skills
no communication between players is necessary, people can use forums to talk about what theyve done/achieved/questions etc.

from there they can do what they like - ie: higher ranks reward hats/stat bonuses (ie you reach rank 5 - you gain 5 points to allocate as you please to a skylander of your choice etc)
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 05:44:22 07/03/2013 by IJJusion
#31 Posted: 13:25:31 07/03/2013
Why do people assume that you need voice chat with online? Plenty of online games don't have voice chat and their online modes are perfectly fine(I've played of online games for hundreds of hours on my 3DS, but ironically, the only one that does have voice chat I never play any more). And if ya wanna add voice chat, get a laptop, and keep Skype up on it with the friend you're playing with doing the same, it wouldn't be that hard to organize.
#32 Posted: 16:05:51 07/03/2013
there is also a mute button you can press in online games... so if you dont want to talk or hear other talk you can mute them... aaaand there is more option like you can invite your the friends and have voice and only play with them... the options are endless.
GameMaster78 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3321
#33 Posted: 17:08:41 07/03/2013
Because my older friends are insecure gamers who think they need to play M-Rated games to "appear" cool and mature, while Skylanders has a surprisingly deep PVP element.

I would like to battle my Skylanders, but can't, because I have no one to battle with, while adding strategy to the mix.
---
Wii U: GameMaster1178, XBL: GameMaster1178, PSN: megax28
#34 Posted: 20:42:42 07/03/2013
Quote: GameMaster78
Because my older friends are insecure gamers who think they need to play M-Rated games to "appear" cool and mature, while Skylanders has a surprisingly deep PVP element.

I would like to battle my Skylanders, but can't, because I have no one to battle with, while adding strategy to the mix.

Agree++

im in the same boat >.< ~ online would solve my only issue with the game smilie
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:42:59 07/03/2013 by IJJusion
byhi Green Sparx Gems: 117
#35 Posted: 00:23:34 09/03/2013
On Mario Kart Wii you can't text or speak or anything to interact with different players. You just race. And yell atyour own screen in your house where no one can hear you. This is nothing new. In fact it's pretty much how all Nintendo online games work. It's so NOT new that it's their LAST generation console. I seriously don't understand why they don't just copy that model. And Nintendo does those complicated friend numbering system which I assume is to make it harder to just add lots of friends or creepers to you list super easily yet still making it possible. Just matches online PvP style would be enough for me. I don't even need co-op Story mode because that would make me want to speak with people. Not a requirement, but much more needed on story mode than it is on PvP where it is not required even a little bit.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me