Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2
What's next? [CLOSED]
Silvery Green Sparx Gems: 353
#1 Posted: 03:11:34 02/08/2012 | Topic Creator
Haven't been here for some time... A few of you here might remember me as the weird, verbose LoS / SxC fan from last year who on his first days got into more or less fiery debates with both Aura and Razz. smilie And wow... When did this site change from 'Spyro' to 'Spyro and Skylanders'? Skylanders must be really addictive... o__o

Anyway... I've been trying to scout news posts and stuff, but I didn't manage to glean any useful information, so I'm just asking you guys here in the hopes that someone will know the answer. The question is: what's up next for Spyro? A year ago status quo was: "If Skylanders is successful, there is a chance that Spyro will get his own series/games again." Now I've read up on Skylanders: Giants, but that's even less of a Spyro game than Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure was, if it was. (Or, that is my opinion at least.)

Has there been any word on an actual Spyro game? Is Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure still a spin-off or the new permanent direction?

And before anyone attacks me, I'm a fan of both Classic and TLoS, and I'm certainly more open about pairings and stuff than I was a year ago (though I like to distinguish Classic Spyro and Legend Spyro from each other). smilie
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:15:02 02/08/2012 by Silvery
LevanJess Emerald Sparx Gems: 3516
#2 Posted: 04:01:28 02/08/2012
Hey, welcome back.

I haven't heard anything about a new Spyro centered game coming out. Though that isn't saying much because new info flies over my head.
There was the Spyro's Kingdom thing but..
---
but i love it all smooth
Nibelilt Ripto Gems: 401
#3 Posted: 04:06:46 02/08/2012
I fear that Skylanders will go on, with no true Spyro games until it is dead. Then, either Spyro will become a little-known character and become rebooted again, or die completely. With no news or hint of the Spyro game they said they'd make after Skylanders last year, I can't trust that promise worth spit! And even if they do, it will probably not be worth the wait. Can't they throw us a bone and develop a cheap but fun sidescroller or something? It's been four whole years with no new game on the horizon! smilie
parisruelz12 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7577
#4 Posted: 04:49:01 02/08/2012
Quote: Nibelilt
I fear that Skylanders will go on, with no true Spyro games until it is dead. Then, either Spyro will become a little-known character and become rebooted again, or die completely. With no news or hint of the Spyro game they said they'd make after Skylanders last year, I can't trust that promise worth spit! And even if they do, it will probably not be worth the wait. Can't they throw us a bone and develop a cheap but fun sidescroller or something? It's been four whole years with no new game on the horizon! smilie

My reaction.
Activison if you kill Spyro I swear...>.>
---
looks like ive got some things to do...
#5 Posted: 16:56:32 02/08/2012 | Topic Creator
I think it's the Spyro fans that ultimately will have to take matters into their own hands and make themselves known if they want to see actual Spyro games come. Though honestly I don't see why the Skylanders series prevents them from being made, considering how it's a spin-off and all. Then again...they did cancel the LoS movie because of it. =\
#6 Posted: 17:24:48 02/08/2012 | Topic Creator
Yeah, I meant the sole title of 'Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure', and honestly even then I think I agree with you.

I guess the admins of this forum decided differently though, considering how the name of the entire place was changed to incorporate Skylanders. (It's their choice...even though I don't understand why. But I won't judge without knowing the details.)
#7 Posted: 18:04:33 02/08/2012 | Topic Creator
That much is obvious. I still don't see why they are so adamant on not giving Spyro giving his own game, if they at the same time acknowledge his popularity enough to use him as the namesake of a cash cow.

Well, that's true, but to be brutally honest I don't see why Skylanders has to be here in the first place. The first game just barely qualifies as a Spyro spin-off, and Giants even less so. Then again it might be a natural follow-up of all the hype around the first game that took place here; a lot of the forum's inhabitant's might've gotten attracted to Skylanders and I guess it was changed to suit those needs. (?) But this subject is off-topic so I won't debate it any further.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:06:22 02/08/2012 by Silvery
#8 Posted: 19:26:06 02/08/2012 | Topic Creator
Mhm, sounds reasonable enough I guess...accommodating for the needs of Skylanders fans while compromising as little of the Spyro-ness of this site as possible.

I've been friends with quite a few (more or less popular) fanfiction authors for some time now, and most of them dislike Activision for what they did with Spyro. We've all started with Classic Spyro games and ended up liking LoS too, despite all its 'flaws'. Skylanders is apparently a decent game and all, but it just isn't Spyro...
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:26:53 02/08/2012 by Silvery
#9 Posted: 03:26:50 03/08/2012
Yes, it's because it's Activision. Any other company would release another Spyro game if they had the rights, ANY. But despite the fact they hate corpses on their hands Activision just won't be smart or dedicated enough to make a new game. After all, we're talking about the company that decided to kill off Gutair Hero. So it wouldn't be surprising if they kept him after Skylanders but never made a new game.
JetH7 Blue Sparx Gems: 827
#10 Posted: 04:10:30 03/08/2012
Quote: parisruelz12

My reaction.

Same here.
---
I am the ghostly watermelon!!
SamXala Gold Sparx Gems: 2398
#11 Posted: 16:45:43 03/08/2012
Quote: JetH7
Quote: parisruelz12

My reaction.

Same here.

Same here too <.<
---
O_0 Holy Cow!! I'm a Gold Sparx!
Todorov_T_11 Green Sparx Gems: 282
#12 Posted: 01:48:12 04/08/2012
This is why i don't like skylanders.
#13 Posted: 20:25:04 04/08/2012 | Topic Creator
Considering how clear it was from early on that they only slapped Spyro on Skylanders to give their new franchise a push-start, I think that this all should by now be obvious and accepted information that needn't be discussed. Some people wanted to argue for Skylanders being a new acceptable direction for Spyro...when it wasn't for Spyro in the first place.

I don't mind Skylanders in and of itself (I'm sure it's a fun game etc.), but I do mind the fact that Activision is seemingly holding Spyro in shackles just because of its existence.

A dream come true would be Spyro being handed back to Krome and Sierra (or whatever corporation the people who oversaw the development of ANB and TEN work for now), and based on what I've read around places even the more critical-towards-LoS Spyro fans would like that.
#14 Posted: 01:12:14 05/08/2012
Sadly, Krome studios went bankrupt two years ago. Sierra were the old owners.

I think that Vicarious Visions should be in charge of Spyro. They always make some of his best games, including Skylanders on the 3DS and A New Beginning on DS. Also, the game everyone forgets about, Season of Flame.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:12:43 05/08/2012 by Nibelilt
LevanJess Emerald Sparx Gems: 3516
#15 Posted: 01:36:30 05/08/2012
I love Season of Flame.. Better than Ice IMO
---
but i love it all smooth
#16 Posted: 02:27:45 05/08/2012 | Topic Creator
Well whatever the company, just let it be one that pays attention to both gameplay and the story itself... Btw, it seems Krome is making a comeback. Just 9 days ago they got their "newly refurbished website" online, and it's "just a taste of things to come". Even the Wiki article on them states that while they did let all their staff go, they didn't actually close. Still...it obviously is rather unlikely that they'd be developing any more Spyro games, so this is off-topic. smilie

I think I've only played Season of Ice out of those two. Interesting...
Winston1 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1089
#17 Posted: 12:39:33 05/08/2012

I think that Vicarious Visions should be in charge of Spyro. They always make some of his best games, including Skylanders on the 3DS and A New Beginning on DS. Also, the game everyone forgets about, Season of Flame.

Vicarious Visions had nothing to do with either of those games. The only Spyro-related games they developed were Spyro Orange/Fusion, Skylanders 3ds, and Cloud Patrol.

Still, it's very unlikely that any past Spyro developer will work on the series again, especially considering that most of them have closed down. IMO, I really believe Toys for Bob could make a good Spyro game with the classic formula, and they chose to work on the license before they switched directions and made Skylanders its own franchise. I think the movie was probably cancelled before the change happened, and they did say that they had plans for a sequel if Skylanders was successful, so it's still possible that they aren't rulling out a Spyro game after Giants. Now, what kind of game that would be, neither I nor anyone else can say (assuming that they do make one).
#18 Posted: 13:10:37 05/08/2012
Im pretty sure... Didn't they?
Winston1 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1089
#19 Posted: 15:44:50 05/08/2012
The Legend of Spyro: A New Beginning for the DS was developed by the defunct Amaze Entertainment. Season of Flame, as well as Season of Ice and Attack of the Rhynocs, was developed by the now defunct Digital Eclipse Vancouver studio.
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9329
#20 Posted: 20:32:34 05/08/2012
I seriously don't understand what was wrong with A Hero's Tail, sure it needed some minor improvements, but that was what I was expecting in the next game.
David5988 Green Sparx Gems: 165
#21 Posted: 22:09:27 05/08/2012

Krome Studios didn't go to backrupcy
. They just cut their staff. Last week they anounced that they are making a new Ty The Tasmanian Tyger game.
---
I am a purple dragon!
#22 Posted: 20:06:26 06/08/2012
Quote: David5988

Krome Studios didn't go to backrupcy
. They just cut their staff. Last week they anounced that they are making a new Ty The Tasmanian Tyger game.

I think that new Ty game is just for Facebook though? Not sure. I don't think they're a proper video game developer anymore are they? I think they're just aiming to do games on the net, sort of thing?
StevemacQ Platinum Sparx Gems: 6533
#23 Posted: 20:26:14 06/08/2012
I was just ponder around the executive meddling trope and read how Activision kept Spyro (along with Crash, Ice Age and Prototype) in hopes "to have promising results" while many others like Brutal Legend, WET, etc., all got dropped.

With that said, Activision simply slapped Spryo's name to an original IP in fears of people thinking Activision is actually making an original game as oppose to a franchise the company would milk for yearly releases. Skylanders was a good game but the yearly releases will make us all sick and shout "NO MORE!!!" in a good few years time.

Spyro's absence from being in an actual for a few good years gives it more much potential for it's revival, not as a blast from that past, but also to be so much more, maybe poke fun at the tropes of the platforming genre. A Spyro game that is self-aware with surreal cartoony craziness mixed with subtle humor.

I have no idea why we European PS3 gamers aren't seeing US versions of the PS1 Spyro games on PS Store like some of the Resident Evil games. We have the Crash Bandicoot games to buy and download but no Spyro? If we're never going to see the PS1 classics on PSN, then Sony should AT LEAST explain why, don't leave us in the dark!
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9026
#24 Posted: 20:52:07 06/08/2012
You know I love how people blame Activision for ruining Spyro. You DO know that the French multimedia giant Vivendi owned Sierra (and Spyro) and when they bought Activision they decided to have it absorb all of Vivendi's gaming subsidiaries (except Blizzard, hence Activision Blizzard) thus giving Activision control of Spyro. It was done for money. The ironic thing is that Vivendi doesn't appear to be benefiting from this merger and now wants to sell Activision to the highest bidder.

In other words, greed is probably the number one reason Spyro is in his current state (not to say Activision isn't very happy with Skylander's success, they're probably quite glad Vivendi gave them Spyro). >.>
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
bionicle2809 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8438
#25 Posted: 01:26:21 07/08/2012
Spyro is dead.
darkdragon3809 Gold Sparx Gems: 2264
#26 Posted: 01:33:46 07/08/2012
Quote: bionicle2809
Spyro is dead.

Hahahah smilie
(I actually do agree with you.)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:34:30 07/08/2012 by darkdragon3809
bionicle2809 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8438
#27 Posted: 01:41:56 07/08/2012
Now I wish I'd said something like "Spyro is dead. All hail Drobot". Oh well.

But, to go into more depth, Spyro as an individual franchise is dead - merged with Skylanders. TBH, I don't really mind. As long as I'll still be able to play Spyro in future Skylanders games then I don't really mind if the franchise is dead.
darkdragon3809 Gold Sparx Gems: 2264
#28 Posted: 01:44:13 07/08/2012
I love individual Spyro franchise smilie
I'm not much of a fan of Skylanders :/
spyro and sonic Diamond Sparx Gems: 8325
#29 Posted: 01:44:14 07/08/2012
Spyro is dead.

It's the unfortunate truth. smilie
#30 Posted: 20:26:53 07/08/2012
Spyro is dead.

I guess that explains why they done a spin off then.
#31 Posted: 16:48:35 10/08/2012
Quote: SuperSpyroFan
Spyro is dead.

That's sad, but it's the freaking thuth....
---
#32 Posted: 08:40:12 13/08/2012
Quote: SamXala
Spyro is dead.

Oh it's so adorable isn't it Von Croy?
#33 Posted: 19:24:52 15/08/2012
Quote: SamXala

Oh it's so adorable isn't it Von Croy?

Yeah...
---
SpyroSC Blue Sparx Gems: 725
#34 Posted: 08:20:59 17/08/2012
Quote: Silvery
Haven't been here for some time... A few of you here might remember me as the weird, verbose LoS / SxC fan from last year who on his first days got into more or less fiery debates with both Aura and Razz. smilie And wow... When did this site change from 'Spyro' to 'Spyro and Skylanders'? Skylanders must be really addictive... o__o

Anyway... I've been trying to scout news posts and stuff, but I didn't manage to glean any useful information, so I'm just asking you guys here in the hopes that someone will know the answer. The question is: what's up next for Spyro? A year ago status quo was: "If Skylanders is successful, there is a chance that Spyro will get his own series/games again." Now I've read up on Skylanders: Giants, but that's even less of a Spyro game than Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure was, if it was. (Or, that is my opinion at least.)

Has there been any word on an actual Spyro game? Is Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure still a spin-off or the new permanent direction?

And before anyone attacks me, I'm a fan of both Classic and TLoS, and I'm certainly more open about pairings and stuff than I was a year ago (though I like to distinguish Classic Spyro and Legend Spyro from each other). smilie

Yes!!! Someone else who is as clueless as me about what's happened over the past year of inactivity. People leaving and too may noobs... Skylanders is (or was) a spin off, but Skylanders is now it's own franchise aswell, which is good seeing as they seemed to ruin him (being a huge Spyro fan Skylanders... well, you get the idea). People are leaving aswell...
---
IT'S A DRAGON
#35 Posted: 07:22:35 21/08/2012 | Topic Creator
Heh. smilie

Honestly, I think Spyro fans will have to unite and start a public petition (or find other means of contacting Activision) if they want to see a Spyro game in the future. They aren't going to make one if they don't think people will want one.

Weird thing is, Skylanders got much of its initial limelight because of Spyro... And Spyro is (or at least was) a popular franchise. It all just makes no sense. Why would they not make a Spyro game? I think in order to approach this whole ordeal we first need to find a convincing answer to this question...

Time for a random question... Am I the only one who thinks a Teen (or possibly higher) rated Spyro game would be interesting to see? Y'know, something similar to much of the fanfiction that has been written of Spyro... Something where we'd see Spyro and Cynder in their late teens, fighting both together and on their own missions and stuff. Slightly more dynamic combat than in DotD. More young dragons, delicious relationship problems...the usual stuff.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 07:27:22 21/08/2012 by Silvery
#36 Posted: 07:49:52 21/08/2012
Heh. smilie

Honestly, I think Spyro fans will have to unite and start a public petition (or find other means of contacting Activision) if they want to see a Spyro game in the future. They aren't going to make one if they don't think people will want one.

Weird thing is, Skylanders got much of its initial limelight because of Spyro... And Spyro is (or at least was) a popular franchise. It all just makes no sense. Why would they not make a Spyro game? I think in order to approach this whole ordeal we first need to find a convincing answer to this question...

Time for a random question... Am I the only one who thinks a Teen (or possibly higher) rated Spyro game would be interesting to see? Y'know, something similar to much of the fanfiction that has been written of Spyro... Something where we'd see Spyro and Cynder in their late teens, fighting both together and on their own missions and stuff. Slightly more dynamic combat than in DotD. More young dragons, delicious relationship problems...the usual stuff.

I honestly think that a petition is a waste of time and that Activision definitely know what they're doing. They must know that some fans want an original Spyro game, it's been seven years, but they just don't want to do it, probably because it's too much risk for them, even though they've got lots of money. I don't think they want minor heccups in their industry.

Why won't they make a Spyro game? Perhaps they don't want to take any risks?

Dawn of the Dragon is probably the closest that you're going to get to a teen rated type of Spyro game.
crystalhero37 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5448
#37 Posted: 08:29:59 21/08/2012
didn't they say that if skylanders was popular enough they MIGHT make a self centered spyro game somewhere? I remember it from last year.
#38 Posted: 08:42:06 21/08/2012 | Topic Creator
Maybe... But there were a couple plot twists that could've been much better if they didn't have to tone it all down to fit a younger audience. Ignitus' death for example was the epitome of cliched, kids' story heroic death. ~__~ The effect was there only because of how closely the player had gotten to know him in the previous games. Needs more suspense, relationships, draconic (animalistic) stuff... If you make a game with dragons in it, might as well make it count.

They did in some way say that, yes. But there's been nary a word on it since.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 08:42:46 21/08/2012 by Silvery
#39 Posted: 09:18:49 21/08/2012
They actually promised if Skylanders ended up being successful enough they would make another Spyro game... But it's been four years since the last true one, and there's no hints of a hint of it being hinted at on the horizon...

And they didn't not make one because it was risky, but because it's Activision, they even broke one of their own promises with Skylanders, they said all winged characters would be able to fly, but lo and behold, Sunburn doesn't.
crystalhero37 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5448
#40 Posted: 09:32:31 21/08/2012
that's a shame, well, maybe they thought giants would fit for it :/ maybe there is cutscenes with spyro talking along with the story line?
RadSpyro Gold Sparx Gems: 2007
#41 Posted: 10:26:39 21/08/2012
Heh. smilie

I honestly think that a petition is a waste of time and that Activision definitely know what they're doing. They must know that some fans want an original Spyro game, it's been seven years, but they just don't want to do it, probably because it's too much risk for them, even though they've got lots of money. I don't think they want minor heccups in their industry.

Why won't they make a Spyro game? Perhaps they don't want to take any risks?

Dawn of the Dragon is probably the closest that you're going to get to a teen rated type of Spyro game.

This.

And really, the trouble they'd have with a 'new' Spyro game would be - Choosing Classic or Legend? I must admit, if I saw a new Legend game I'd be irritated. I'd rather see a game all about Skylander Spyro than a game with Legend Spyro, honestly, and if anything that's probably what we'll get. As for teen Spyro, naw, there's enough games/series out there for that kind of... Drama.
---
TUMBLR
DEVIANTART
Visit me and stuff.
#42 Posted: 10:28:55 21/08/2012 | Topic Creator
I haven't played Skylanders so I'm not of much use in discussing that. smilie

Skylanders: Giants is not a Spyro game, even Activision can't claim that. Neither is Skylanders: SA. It's a Skylanders game that features Spyro as one of the (50'ish?) characters. Only because the game's name is Spyro's Adventure (and not because of the actual game content) can Activision claim it's officially a Spyro game. But in practice it still isn't.

^ My opinion.

Fair enough, you like Skyro. The reason why I'd like to see a Teen-rated (read: higher rated than the games so far; I'm guessing Mature would be taking it too far although I'd still be interested) Spyro game is because that way Activision could perhaps avoid some of LoS's flaws. Just because it'd be a new Legend game doesn't mean it'd have to be 'bad' in the same way you think the Legend series was.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 10:32:11 21/08/2012 by Silvery
#43 Posted: 10:35:47 21/08/2012
I like all Spyro, honestly. But that means I can also see the flaws in them all (even Classic, I'm sorry to say).

LOS wasn't flawed because of the rating. It was flawed because of the game itself. I never said the Legend series was bad, as I absolutely loved TEN. I'm just saying, Activision probably won't bother with the series anymore, not when both Classic and Skyro have a much larger following overall. If I'm being honest, it will be Skyro or nothing.
---
TUMBLR
DEVIANTART
Visit me and stuff.
#44 Posted: 10:50:43 21/08/2012 | Topic Creator
I hear you, but isn't Skyro a toy-like reincarnation of Spyro in the first place? All the characters look more plasticky and cutesy, like toys, so that their actual toy versions would then look believable. If they made a Spyro game that wasn't Skylanders, wouldn't he look closer to Classic or Legend Spyro?

And taking the chain of deduction further... ANB was made to give Spyro a proper backstory (rather than classic's excuse plot), one that could be further built on. Therefore it doesn't make sense that they'd revert back to Classic Spyro, at least not story wise. The new game might be more classic-y with collectibles and stuff, but it doesn't mean it couldn't be continuation to the Legend trilogy's story.

And if the above argument isn't enough: Cynder. smilie
#45 Posted: 10:58:45 21/08/2012
Probably not - It would just use his in-game model. That is, if they ever went down that route.

Not story wise, no. But then again, Skylanders had a plot so simple it was that of Classic's standard - And it's been a huge hit. Story isn't everything, after all. That's what fanfics are for IMO (which is why I rarely read them for any fandom).

As for Cynder... She could easily be written in the Classic series. And again, she's in Skylanders anyway, so Activision still have no reason to return to Legend or Classic with that.

For me, I just can't see Activision turning back now.
---
TUMBLR
DEVIANTART
Visit me and stuff.
#46 Posted: 11:03:38 21/08/2012 | Topic Creator
So in your opinion Spyro's Skylanders-toy model is a likely future model for him too, even outside the Skylanders plot that revolves around toys? o___o

Now...were we talking about a spin-off game or a complete reboot? Because...what you say greatly leans towards the latter. Heck, they don't even have to 'turn back' if it was a spin-off to begin with, as then it's 'continuing down the earlier route'.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 11:05:19 21/08/2012 by Silvery
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me