Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Fandom > Need help writing a story?
Page 1 of 1
Need help writing a story? [CLOSED]
Samius Hunter Gems: 9242
#1 Posted: 23:15:33 27/04/2012 | Topic Creator
Let me just say here, I love this fandom. Nowadays in darkSpyro, it's far from the level of activity it used to reach when DotD was still fresh.
I want to give it a little push, as I personally enjoy seeing creative work being shared and viewed.

In my time I have seen several users asking help with writing fanfictions.
Apparently, (if you believe the word of other users) I'm a good storywriter. So, I decided to make a little topic offering tips on how to write a story that is appealing to readers. A kind of a "step one, step two"-guide, if you catch my meaning.
If you have some tips in your mind too, don't be afraid to share. It's a free topic.

I'll start off with some simple ones for users that are just beginning to write, to see if this idea gets some fire in it's belly.

- First of all. Do you have what it takes? I dunno, only you can be the judge of that. I've learned from experience (as in, "the hard way") that starting to write a fanfiction/story is easy, but continuing to write may not always be so. If you want to make a good story you need to be ready to commit a lot of time and energy in it.
What should also be taken into consideration is if you have the linguistic skills to start writing. Grammar alone can't make your story good, but bad grammar can certainly reduce your creation into a steaming pile of abosolute failure.
If you have problems with your grammar though, the best way to learn is to read and type more.
Remember, Google can be used as a simple spellcheck in case you're not completely sure how to type an individual word.

- When you're starting to write a story the first thing you have to do is to think carefully about what kinda story you want to write.
You can't possibly include everything in a single story, so you have to have some leads to start with. Do you want a serious story, a character-driven story, a story with a majority of comical aspects or a "detailed blast of action" kinda story? It's up to you.
Just remember, while a writer has a freedom of choice in what to write. The readers also have a freedom of choice in what to read.
Ideas you think are great might not appeal to others. This should be taken into account when you're thinking about what to write.
It's easy to start with something generic, and later move on to more challenging approaches.

- "Now I know what I want to write, what do?" Before starting to hammer it in you need to think a bunch of things over in your head. Here is a small list of things a story needs to work. And yes, it's that simple. A story needs these things to work.
1. Characters - I could babble about this for an eternity. Think of a few main characters, and some side characters to start with.
This is also important for the future of the story, as basically interesting characters make interesting stories. Or do you think they filmed four "Pirates of the Caribean"-movies for any other reason than the fact that people really like Jack Sparrow?
2. A setting - This, along with the "characters"-part should be quite obvious. A story needs a setting. A simple "Where and When" will do in some cases, but don't start with something like that. It's best to also explain the "Why's and How's" to keep readers interested, and also not to make them overly confused about what's going on with the story.
3. A character motivation - A subsection of the "setting"-part really. Character motivation is a basically the reason why the characters are doing what they do. This needs to have something to do with the characters themselves, and it has to resonate with what the characters are like.
For example, imagine a generic setting where a brave knight is trying to save the princess. His motivation could be something as simple as love. He loves the princess, that's why he is trying to save her. Motivations can, and should be more detailed to make the story more interesting, and not so unoriginal.

There you go, three simple first steps on the road of storytelling. As written by me. I'll post more too, but I don't want to do it for nothing, so I'll first see if this topic attracts any attention.
Spyrobaby Emerald Sparx Gems: 4254
#2 Posted: 10:18:40 28/04/2012
Wow. That's really good! If you have more tips, please post them! smilie
---
The darkness only stays at nighttime, in the morning it'll fade away. Daylight's good at arriving at the right time, it's not always going to be this grey~
#3 Posted: 10:36:25 28/04/2012 | Topic Creator
Thank you. I will post more later this evening.
#4 Posted: 10:50:39 28/04/2012
Okay and no problem smilie
---
The darkness only stays at nighttime, in the morning it'll fade away. Daylight's good at arriving at the right time, it's not always going to be this grey~
Youla Yellow Sparx Gems: 1982
#5 Posted: 11:46:34 28/04/2012
Thanks...that's also help me...
#6 Posted: 19:46:51 28/04/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: shorty
Since you said we could post tips ourselves, I have two things that really bother me about most fanfictions here and one of them can really make writings bland if it's not included.

1. Detail
  2. Paragraph vs. Chapter

1. Many people here don't detail there stories and to me that makes it bland. You don't have to explain every little detail but it would be nice if you described what the room you were in or your surroundings looked like. This also kind of prevents your character from interacting with an object that the readers didn't know was around them and the readers going "WTF? Where did that come from?"
You should also describe your characters well. Remember, the more accurate of a description you give, the closer the image that the reader gets of the character will be to your image.
Detail also comes in during characters' actions.
This is more of an advanced step but it's a good tip.

2. Paragraphs aren't really chapters. While you can set whatever length you want your chapters to be, a paragraph for a chapter is a bit lazy. This mostly irks me but it's true. If your looking to actually write a full length story, paragraph length chapters don't really cut it.
Think about a book. How long are those chapters? Heck, the chapters can even be shorter than that. But I'd say that you should consider about four good paragraphs, about a page, an okay chapter.
Again, this is more of advanced step but it's something that annoys me.

Thank for your contribution, and I agree with you in both of those things. I'm also going to explain the "story detailing"-part a bit too.

I usually end up writing chapters of about 500 words, but it's simply out of convenience, since I usually post one chapter at a time.
I'm confident I'm going to make a "remastered" version of my own fanfiction someday, because when I look at it now, the stuff that I wrote three years ago is full of bad grammar and plotholes.
I'm also going to fix the chapter count, and maybe add some art to wrap it into a complete, simple and pretty package for anyone who wants to read it.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:59:35 28/04/2012 by Samius
#7 Posted: 23:58:23 28/04/2012 | Topic Creator
Ah yes, I almost forgot. I was to continue writing the guide today.

Here are two more easy-to-follow steps for beginning writers.

- When you're finally starting to write, remember to go easy at first. Some may disagree, but in my opinion it's always better not to include a whole lot of action on the start of the story, especially not if the said action is important for the storyline.
As with social relationships, the first impressions are the most important ones. If your story looks confusing to start with, nobody will keep reading it hoping that it will change eventually.
The start of the story is usually (if not always) the place to introduce the readers to the characters and the setting. This process should be made as easy as possible for the readers, so they can wrap their mind around what is going on and not feel like they're bitten on something too big for them to swallow.
Even too many detailed descriptions can seem confusing in the start of a story, so keep things simple.
And while this move can potentially grab the readers' interest if executed well, it's generally ill-adviced to pull the "X years later"-trick right after you've told them what's happening.
Remember, readers are there to read, not to do the math. If the readers feel like they need to make an effort to understand what is going on, something is wrong.

- "So how do I introduce my setting to the readers?" This can be done in several ways. Basically it's all about letting the readers know what they need to know to make sense out of your story (the magic word being "need"). If your story is lenghty, the details can wait, and if it's not, why do you need so many details anyway?
The first "Lord of the Rings"-movie did this beautifully by briefly summing up the history of the story, leaving out the details and only explaining the important stuff.
Giving people just the right amount of info requires the writer to look at the story from the reader's perspective. A writer should learn to make a habit out of this, and keep doing it all the time when writing.
It's always a good idea to introduce the setting first, and the character after. This is the right way to do it because the characters are a part of the setting, not the other way around.
If you introduce your character first, the reader could end up thinking that the setting revolves around the characters. This kind of situation is confusing, but can be corrected if the reader is very familiar with the character.
However, as this is rarely the case with new characters, restrain yourself from starting your story by letting the reader know the name of the protagonist. They will most likely not give a damn, and feel an urge to stop reading.

There, I'll post more when I get a chance, and sorry about the double post.

Edit: Fixed some typos there.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:02:48 29/04/2012 by Samius
wuffser Green Sparx Gems: 252
#8 Posted: 10:14:10 29/04/2012
Well this is indeed an interesting thread. Mind if I add my two cents?

Research (For FanFictioneers: Know your Cannon) - I know, I know this isn't some 20+ page research paper but hear me out. This heavily depends on what you're going to write about and again like stated earlier in this thread on how much effort you're really willing to dedicate to your work. It's a stretch but adding a little realism makes people appreciate your story a little more. This goes triple for fan fiction. In particular for characterization and development. Its tough but fans of various subjects (and Google) can give you an accurate easy to understand view on these things. It's hard but worth it (Sometimes).

A matter of utmost importance - This is some really heavy stuff I'm about to go into even I struggle with this one. You are about to introduce your very important plot device or character. What do you do ? First off you have to know exactly how important is this ... "thing" is to warrant such attention. How many times will we be seeing this "thing" after its introduction? Will it have far reaching consequences (Good or Bad) on anything else of great importance? Does it have anything to do with your story? Sometimes simply giving a nice detailed description no more detailed than any other closely inspected object in your story could suffice. Just let this "thing" do its thing be important don't tell me let the story progress and we'll see if it is truly important as you say it is.

Is this good? That last one seems to be a bit vague. Let me know and I'll do my best to clarify.
#9 Posted: 10:24:46 29/04/2012 | Topic Creator
I don't mind at all, every contribution that can help matters.

Yeah, I get what you meant with that last one, but it is a big vague.
#10 Posted: 16:22:49 29/04/2012
Here's one:

Take your time and think- A story that takes ages to write but in the end turns out to be brilliant is much better than a story that takes a couple of days to write but is absolutely rubbish. You need to think about it and re-read what you've done and repeat it. Sometimes good ideas take a while to think of, so just be patient. Back onto the thinking aspect you need to ask yourself questions and think through the plot, not always just writing down whatever comes into your head. Sure, sometimes you have a burst of ideas that you need to write down, but if it doesn't make sense or doesn't fit in with the plot then it's no use. Patience is key. A masterpiece doesn't happen in a day, it takes lots of patience, dedication, careful thought, time, creativity and feeling.
---
#11 Posted: 03:20:33 30/04/2012
Oh and another:

Criticize Properly - Be clear and honest but don't be mean spirited. Be nice, gently let the author know whats wrong with a story. And don't just bash the story, GIVE REASONS. Its frustrating and puts the author on the defense ignoring any further advice. Be clear and precise tell the author exactly whats wrong. The point of criticism is to help better the author not belittle.
Short but sweet.

EDIT:

Characters - this is a toughie for many of you would be writers. You've got looks, likes, dislikes, personality traits, strengths, weaknesses (ect). But for some odd reason they aren't coming out right, they aren't as clear cut as in their profile. Well riddle me this do these characters have "cool and unique" characteristics.

A bad example: A kind loving and caring healer, is kind of arrogant and prideful and loves a challenge.
Well why is this a bad example this seems like a pretty cool guy. But look closer look at those traits they don't seem to make sense. this village healer is kind, loving, and caring why the arrogance? Give reasons for their uniqueness. Why is this good hearted healer so arrogant?

A good example: Being the only healer for this god forsaken village has given him a, mildly swollen ego, constantly gaining praise for his work from just about every one both in and out of the village. He is not the best healer out their being fairly new to the field but has been training for years, eager to show the higher-ups the fruits of his labor.

See the above is MUCH, MUCH better. Why? Because it believably linked together his his two seemingly incompatible personality traits. Creating a very interesting character. A character worth reading about. And we had barley learned anything about him (Well other than he is an up and coming healer who apparently spent years training to get in good graces with some form social group). Oh and if this character is something i came up with on the on the fly so ORIGINAL CHARACTER YOU CAN TOTALLY HAVE HIM. After all he is just an example.

A good way to explore a characters persona further is to just randomly write them into various scenarios. With a character profile in hand try to emulate as closely as possible how they would react. This is also useful to show specific character relations. It may be tough but it will be worth it in the end.

Hope this helps :3
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 04:41:49 30/04/2012 by wuffser
#12 Posted: 12:26:57 02/05/2012 | Topic Creator
Every little bit helps, thanks. I'll post more later today, though I have a feeling not many will read these tips in the end.
Kurui Ripto Gems: 191
#13 Posted: 22:39:51 02/05/2012
I find these very useful actually so I hope they keep on coming in. I suck at writing. But i might try to get back into writing maybe. Maybe........
#14 Posted: 22:55:16 03/05/2012
I've got another:

Be aware of flying boxes - Make sure events make sense. All scenes in a story have to have a goal or purpose. And no not all of theme have to be ultra deep with layers of meaning in every space. No it can be simple portrayal of a character, place or thing. In writing, unlike real life, EVERYTHING has a reason (That reason could be no reason). So whenever you are about to show a scene that you think is good or dramatic, think heavily on the reasoning behind this. Ask questions like: What will it do to my characters? Is it important to the story? Will this help flesh -out your characters? And many, many, more.

Be nice - Your fans are your life blood, Treat theme with respect. I don't mean being completely subservient to them. I'm saying don't be relentlessly rude to them. And if your fan base starts being rabid discipline them. I know it sound like training some animal, I really didn't mean for it to come off like this but many fan bases really act like this.
#15 Posted: 15:40:54 04/05/2012
Oh great writers of Darkspyro~ I posted up one of my 7-ish year old fanfiction chapters (I will post the rest later, as I only got up to part of chapter 6 before I went back into school, and I spent roughly a month writing the pieces I do have of it) and I know I'm the worst writer on the forum probably, but some critique would be so nice!

//forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=51970
^ Right there. smilie

Thank youuuu.
#16 Posted: 08:12:13 05/05/2012 | Topic Creator
I'll take a look at it for certain, but I don't have much time now so I'll probably read it this evening.

And I'll also post more writing tips then, as I forgot to add them the last time I promised to.
#17 Posted: 00:37:28 06/05/2012 | Topic Creator
All right, I promised to post more tips so I will. I only have one in my mind right now though.

- Detailing your story can be a tricky thing to do, especially if you don't have a clear mental image of what is happening with your characters. This is one of the biggest reasons as to why good stories require a lot of effort to write.
This is because by "details" I don't just mean details of the story's surroundings and characters. Detailed descriptions of the very events that shape the storyline are even more crucial, so the readers can get a sense of realism out of, for example, a fanfiction.
It's important to remember that when important things for the story are present in the text, strictly stick on detailing what matters.
When dealing with less important things you can give the readers info that they don't necessarily need. Use extra details to spice up the story where it would otherwise sound bland and repetitive.
Let's use a fictional situation as an example.
Assume that a huge troll propels the main character of your story to a wall. In a situation like this the readers will probably be interested in what happends to your main character.
You can describe how your characters ribs "crack loudly when his body violently slams against the cold, hard brick wall".
That's all the information your readers need (and a bit extra to spice it up), they know what happened, and how. You don't need to tell them what color the wall was, or how the wind howled in the nearby trees when it happened.
The wrong kind/amount of details would've made the scene mentioned above considerably worse, the same goes with all important situations of the story. This is why writers should learn to avoid overdetailing their stories.
Also remember, descriptions after descriptions are a no-no. Describe a single situation/emotion/thing/scene/creature only once, using one or two sentences and three adjectives at most.

The next tip will be about dialogue, which plays a huge part in both of my own stories. Until then.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 12:30:10 15/09/2012 by Samius
#18 Posted: 01:11:18 06/05/2012
Ugh, detailing. I go overboard most all the time. I'm a very visual arts person to most of my details are how things look or feel, and that does throw off readers. But i get so into it...... smilie;; This is why I'm better as a poet or songwriter. Thanks for the tips. I really do take notes from both you and wuffser. (and also anyone else to contribute to the topic).
#19 Posted: 06:19:27 06/05/2012
Rest young hero - Take breaks, its cool to pull off an all nighter just to finish a chapter. But seriously you'll just burn yourself out doing this, goof off every once in awhile watch tv, play videogames, go outside, read a book. Anything but your story. It gives your brain time to rest and organize your thoughts. Perfect for reducing the chances of writers block a horrible little hiccup in the mind that renders all creative thought moot.

I am not your spokes person - Seriously DO NOT be too obvious about your personal ideals in your story. Sometimes its ok to be face slappingly obvious but even then its a story first documentary later. If really you wanted to get the point across WHY in fiction form. Write a non fiction book instead jeez.
LevanJess Emerald Sparx Gems: 3516
#20 Posted: 06:37:38 06/05/2012
Said Said Said - When writing with dialogue, it would make it seem much better if you didn't just go "he said she said they said" over and over. Try to change the "said" with something different. Like "exclaimed" or "asked". Maybe even add some tone/word after it (EX: she asked curiously, he exclaimed surprisingly, they asked sadly)? I mean, saying "said" once in a while is still cool. But try not to use it all the time. It seems repetitive.

At least in my opinion.
Sorry if it's been mentioned before
---
but i love it all smooth
#21 Posted: 07:23:13 06/05/2012
Another small one for the would be fictioneers.

Learn the trade before the craft - This goes with the "You got what it takes?" lesson wAAAAy at the beginning. Take the extra time to learn your basics grammar and spelling are part of the base to a good story. When all is said and done and all the rules are set in place. Know you can shatter these rules into oblivion for the sake of style. Seriously not all great writers are Grammar Nazis. Its like politics the only reason to learn the rules is to gain the tools necessary to break them and get away with it. But not all rules are made to be broken but you'll have to learn that on your own.
#22 Posted: 22:42:43 17/05/2012 | Topic Creator
I almost forgot about this topic already. Well, I'm still not done.

- Dialogue makes characters, which is something young writers tend to forget. That's how your readers get their most direct touch to the people in your story, so think about it before you write it down.
Sometimes the most interesting and fluent dialogue is nothing more but idle chatter between characters. It brings your readers closer to them, and makes them understand them as persons.
Other than that, dialogue is often used in tandem with story details and descriptions, as the readers are often introduced to anything that goes on in the story through the characters eyes. Doing this well requires some effort, as the characters can't talk about what they don't know. You have to stay strictly within the limits of those characters.
Also, from what I've seen here, dialogue is often not separated from the main bulk of the text by any means. This is not a wrong way to do it, but it will make keeping up with conversations much more difficult. I advice starting a new line for every line of dialogue you write. This will also make it easier for the readers to make out which of you characters is talking at the time.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 08:20:33 18/05/2012 by Samius
VexusTD Green Sparx Gems: 464
#23 Posted: 23:20:22 17/05/2012
Mind judging a work in progress, Samius?

I want to become a writer and your advice actually makes a lot of sense to me. I've tried to improve my writings more and more each time I submit something.
---
"If you are man enough to make a child, you should be man enough to raise one." ~Kellin Quinn
#24 Posted: 08:12:50 18/05/2012 | Topic Creator
Well, I've done that twice now with Youla and Denragon. I don't mind taking a look at your story for a bit.
#25 Posted: 17:14:23 18/05/2012
Ugh, thanks for mention us...
We probably be Samius' student unofficialy...
#26 Posted: 17:18:10 18/05/2012 | Topic Creator
I don't see myself as a teacher actually, I'm just trying to help.
#27 Posted: 19:12:12 18/05/2012
Same, I don't see me as a student, but you had thought us a few things to keep in mind...
VexusTD Green Sparx Gems: 464
#28 Posted: 05:03:14 19/05/2012
http://browse.deviantart.com/?...xiretd#/d4nje8t

This is the first chapter to my story. It's shorter than I would have liked it to be and there are a lot of things that I could have brushed up on. But I have already uploaded it and what's done is done so can't change that. Chapter two is much better and if you wouldn't mind reading until there that would be great. Please critique me in every way you can. Thanks. smilie
---
"If you are man enough to make a child, you should be man enough to raise one." ~Kellin Quinn
#29 Posted: 05:21:35 20/05/2012
Ahhh Finally other people, I was beginning to fear this thread was done for.

I have another addition to this and in light of all the "Angst fests" I've been reading lately.

The ideal kind of cynicism - I am no fan of angst. It doesn't appeal to me. But I know full well that suffering is necessary for development of any kind. Particularly in writing. If you want your story dark and brooding be sure to make us care. Seriously the best angst is the kind that happens to the most beloved character or creates a beloved character from a formerly hated one. Angst is the ultimate weapon for character development. But make sure this angst happens for a reason. Please do not take advice from soap operas, they like drama for the sake of drama not for the sake of character building. Angst has to co exist with, the world that you make, the characters you sow. Let the sadness make sense and the characters likable. They are key to making a proper angst fest (At least in my opinion).

BONUS! for the way to a new dawn in the more "advanced" fictioneers.
Introducing your universe - To introduce your world with out pages of exposition is... to just show it in action. While only explaining the more obscure rules and concepts. Though there are more possibly better ways of doing this, I'm just going with the simplest way (I think). Show your world in action telling us everything will waste your readers precious time. If by chance your world has something odd about it that is difficult to show (Such as general physics, or base psychological functions as examples). Then explain it outside your story as an option (A necessary one but if they chose to skip it that's their fault). Many famous high end fantasy/science fiction books use this method when making a world from the ground (atoms?) up.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me