darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Giants > New Giants Interview (Spyro having a role in Giants)
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2
New Giants Interview (Spyro having a role in Giants) [CLOSED]
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#1 Posted: 17:07:19 17/04/2012 | Topic Creator
Recent Interview of Skylanders: Giants on Nintendo Official Magazine: http://www.officialnintendomag...ONM-General-RSS

Were you pleased with the reception from the fans for Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure? Did you think it would be so popular?

Alex Ness: Yes, we were pleased! We were also in a bit of disbelief. Of course, all of us at Toys for Bob hoped it would prove to be this popular, and we worked harder and longer than we ever had before, but it's still one of those things that just seems so surreal when it actually happens. We also feel lucky and honoured to know that we've got a lot of Skylanders fans out there and we hope they continue to enjoy the franchise.

What would you say is the main appeal of Skylanders? The adventure itself or collecting all the toys?

Alex Ness: I'd say the answer is actually both - I think it's the connection between the collection of toys and the adventure that makes Skylanders Spyro's Adventure so appealing. It's about bringing toys to life in a video game adventure.

That said, we also wanted to make great toys and a great game that could both stand alone if they needed to. We didn't sacrifice quality on either end (the toys or the game itself) just because the connection was our main hook. In fact, I would say that, if anything, we increased quality on both ends for that reason.

Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure focused on the Spyro character. Seeing as the next saga is called Skylanders Giants, are you confident that you can now sell the game under the Skylanders name rather than the Spyro name?

Alex Ness: I am not sure that I would say that Skylanders Spyro's Adventure focused on the Spyro character. Spyro is a character that we all liked and that fans would recognise from previous Spyro videogames, but Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure was not necessarily tailored towards any particular skylander. Our goal was always to make this fun to play with every character and hopefully even more fun when you switch among them.

When naming Skylanders Giants, we wanted the title to focus on the new big thing - the giants.

There are lots of Spyro fans out there. How much of a role does he play in Skylanders Giants?

Alex Ness: Spyro will definitely have a role in Skylanders Giants. And you'll be able to use your original Spyro toy in the Giants game as well.

Can you tell us more about the Giants' abilities and powers?

Alex Ness: Since the Giants as a group are all big and powerful, they can do these things we currently call 'Feats of Strength' in the game. These are things like pulling an entire floating island closer using a chain or rope of some kind, picking up extremely large boulders and statues and throwing them, smashing through the ground to access secret areas, and some other fun things that you might need to be extremely strong to do. Then of course, they also each have their own individual powers, which certainly reflect their giant-ness.

Tell us more about the characters with lights. Is the fact that these toys light up when they are near the Portal of Power just for show? Or will these Skylanders stand out in the game as well?

Alex Ness: They will light up on the portal, and there will be some in-game differences as well that I don't think I can talk about yet.

There are new gameplay options in Battle mode. Have you thought about including online multiplayer battles for Skylanders Giants?

Alex Ness: I think people are really going to like our new Battle modes we're creating for Giants. Plus, the battle arenas in Skylanders Giants are really different from the arenas in Spyro's Adventure. We definitely didn't want the new Battle modes to feel like more of the same, and I think we've done a good job providing some very new Battle experiences. As far as online multiplayer, we gave it a lot of thought, and explored many different possibilities, but it will not be a feature in Skylanders Giants.

Is it true that you'll be able to use your levelled-up Skylanders from Spyro's Adventure in Giants? Won't that make Giants a bit easy?

Alex Ness: It is true that you will be able to use your levelled-up Skylanders from Spyro's Adventure in Giants. The balancing factor you mention is definitely something we've accounted for; and in the end, I don't think too many players will feel like Giants is too easy.

How will the 3DS version of the game differ from the Wii version? Any plans for StreetPass? Having your Skylanders battle each other would be cool.

Alex Ness: I don't know too much about the 3DS version of Skylanders Giants, but I do know it will be a completely different game than the Wii version - just like it was with Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure. And also just like Spyro's Adventure, all Skylander toys will work in both games and remember all their adventures.

The Wii U controller has the same near-field technology as Skylanders. Would you like to bring the Skylanders franchise to Wii U?

Alex Ness: I love the idea of bringing the Skylanders franchise to everything!
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 17:13:37 17/04/2012 by Aura24
bionicle2809 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8438
#2 Posted: 17:12:09 17/04/2012
Interesting.
#3 Posted: 17:13:58 17/04/2012 | Topic Creator
Wonder what role Spyro will play? I know he's like the leader of the Skylanders, but I wonder..
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:14:15 17/04/2012 by Aura24
kappapopm Ripto Gems: 1186
#4 Posted: 18:10:12 17/04/2012
of course spyro would have a role in it, or how else would they sucker in the fans to buy it?.....
#5 Posted: 18:11:20 17/04/2012
Maybe they'll be more cutscenes rather than just the intro and final cutscene and he'll play a more important role in those - maybe he'll actually talk during the cutscenes.
nitendofan92 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4572
#6 Posted: 18:15:02 17/04/2012
let hope they talk, it will give more personality to the character
---
THE END IS NEAR
#7 Posted: 18:19:22 17/04/2012
Quote: Aura24
Recent Interview of Skylanders: Giants on Nintendo Official Magazine: http://www.officialnintendomag...ONM-General-RSS

There are new gameplay options in Battle mode. Have you thought about including online multiplayer battles for Skylanders Giants?

As far as online multiplayer, we gave it a lot of thought, and explored many different possibilities, but it will not be a feature in Skylanders Giants.

YEAH RIGHT!! with the game engine already done you couldn't be arsed, that is the reason... YOU SUCK!!!!
#8 Posted: 18:20:27 17/04/2012 | Topic Creator
Kappa, get over yourself. Online multiplayer doesn't make every game worth playing automatically. The reason you said that TFB 'sucks' is because all you want is online multiplayer. So what if the game doesn't have that feature? It's not that big a deal.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 18:25:41 17/04/2012 by Aura24
#9 Posted: 18:25:15 17/04/2012
Quote: kappapopm

As far as online multiplayer, we gave it a lot of thought, and explored many different possibilities, but it will not be a feature in Skylanders Giants.

YEAH RIGHT!! with the game engine already done you couldn't be arsed, that is the reason... YOU SUCK!!!!

No, most likely because it's being built on the Wii which has a terrible online system, both terrible as a player and developer. I've said this before, and I'll say it again, when they move their main build from the Wii then it'll most likely have multiplayer.
#10 Posted: 18:30:26 17/04/2012 | Topic Creator
Wow, all because TFB didn't add online multiplayer, they automatically "SUCK".. Great conclusion there, Kappa.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:30:59 17/04/2012 by Aura24
#11 Posted: 18:48:58 17/04/2012
Wow, all because TFB didn't add online multiplayer, they automatically "SUCK".. Great conclusion there, Kappa.

THEY HAD IT COMING!.... just saying.
#12 Posted: 18:49:54 17/04/2012 | Topic Creator
Get over it... It's not all about what you want.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:53:42 17/04/2012 by Aura24
dangernoah2 Green Sparx Gems: 401
#13 Posted: 19:09:51 17/04/2012
forgot that the lighting up skylanders will play diffrently i wonder how
---
help with my skylander cartoon http://forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=53603
spyroflame0487 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3866
#14 Posted: 19:24:00 17/04/2012
I can't say I didn't see that no online mulitplayer functionality coming. I read somewhere someone mentioning that a lot of Giants is unused content from the original. I mean, it does feel cheap, but I'd also rather they worked on it for a while, rather than just plopping it in there. (of course, they could have pushed the game's release back more, but its understandable they'd want to get a new game out ASAP)

I'm sure there's also plenty of limitations as to why they didn't want to go with it. The figures themselves are the ones that contain the data, so I'd imagine it'd be pretty hard to also wirelessly transmit that data to another player at the same time. Not to mention the differences between console games.

I also can't see Spyro being used for more than what he was in the original. Just being featured in cutscenes and the references in game. Although it might be nice to see what they'll do.

I think the biggest news out of this besides the online functionality is the fact about the LightForce Skylanders. Rather than just being special ones (like gold/silvers) they're gonna be different? How different? Previous game articles stated that Blue Bash would be different, and we found that "difference" was just the Level 5 upgrade and 2100 coins. Even the supposed difference between the Legendaries was only a small stat boost. I think if they really want a compelling reason for regular players to get the LFs is to make them glow or "Shiny" in game. And even a big stat bump.
Those are the ones I'm hoping to get mainly. I'm a collector, and the LFs concept is very cool. I just hope they're not 1) marked specially, so you have to hunt and find them and 2) super rare like the golds/silvers.
---
Why did Uncle Peter have an interdimentional portal in his attic?
Spyro's entire collection! [Updated June 28th 15]
Hexin_Wishes Yellow Sparx Gems: 1522
#15 Posted: 20:34:27 17/04/2012
So glad the 3ds version is gonna be different again.

Also, I enjoy the cryptic response to the original Skylanders question. To me, it seems to imply that they will function normally and that the game itself adjusts to higher levels.
#16 Posted: 21:10:47 17/04/2012
[User Posted Image]

Y U NO ONLINE BATTLE MODE ACTIVI$ION, YOU SUX!!!!111
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:13:19 17/04/2012 by kappapopm
#17 Posted: 21:12:04 17/04/2012 | Topic Creator
Kappa, seriously, stop. You're acting very childish.
---
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#18 Posted: 21:21:33 17/04/2012
How's about something that doesn't act childish bring this up?

Let's be fair here: The fact that they didn't bother adding an online multiplayer, something that a lot of people wanted, gives off hints that they probably didn't change much in the game. In other words, there's very high odds that this will be the exact same game as the first Skylanders. This is what I call Call of Duty Syndrome.

Toys For Bob doesn't automatically SUCK, but the fact that they aren't changing anything is not a good thing.

So if no online is put in, and the game barely changes, why should Kappa (or me, to an extent) bother buying the game? Why should he buy the same game all over again? I want an honest answer, Aura. I know you can give me one.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 21:23:09 17/04/2012 by CAV
nitendofan92 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4572
#19 Posted: 21:23:53 17/04/2012
unless you don't have the first one...
---
THE END IS NEAR
#20 Posted: 21:26:29 17/04/2012
^Many people here getting hyped about Giants are people that own the first game.

And Kappa obviously owns the first game, as well as me. The question I asked is why either of us should get Giants if it ends up being the same game?
#21 Posted: 21:30:21 17/04/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: CAV
How's about something that doesn't act childish bring this up?

Let's be fair here: The fact that they didn't bother adding an online multiplayer, something that a lot of people wanted, gives off hints that they probably didn't change much in the game. In other words, there's very high odds that this will be the exact same game as the first Skylanders. This is what I call Call of Duty Syndrome.

Toys For Bob doesn't automatically SUCK, but the fact that they aren't changing anything is not a good thing.

So if no online is put in, and the game barely changes, why should Kappa (or me, to an extent) bother buying the game? Why should he buy the same game all over again? I want an honest answer, Aura. I know you can give me one.

I just don't see what the BIG deal is with online multiplayer not being in Giants. Sure it would please a lot of fans who want to play online with others if online multiplayer was included, but since that sole feature wasn't added in Giants, it's not something to be saying about TFB 'sucking' all because of it.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:33:25 17/04/2012 by Aura24
#22 Posted: 21:38:03 17/04/2012
Aura, I don't think the point is the lack of online anymore. I think the point he was trying to make was that they change/improve/add SOMETHING into the sequel. And so far, it looks like they've done nothing to improve upon the first game. I can't and won't spend $50-$70 on what is more of an expansion pack rather than an actual sequel. I wouldn't do it for Call of Duty or sports games. So why would I do it here?

He's overreacting by screaming "TFB SUCKS!!!!!". But at the same time, he still has some reason to be as angry as he is.

BTW, saying that giant skylanders is a new feature doesn't really count much. I'm talking about core gameplay changes and improvements.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:38:16 17/04/2012 by CAV
#23 Posted: 21:41:58 17/04/2012 | Topic Creator
CAV, I already know that you won't buy Skylanders: Giants (something that you mentioned a while back). We've only seen a two to three gameplay videos, we don't know what further improvements they'll have on this game until we see more footage.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:42:53 17/04/2012 by Aura24
#24 Posted: 21:45:31 17/04/2012
And I'll be keeping an eye on that footage as it's slowly released to the public.

But right now the stuff I've seen and the news I've read are all pointing towards it being the same game as the first. If I'm wrong, I'll gladly eat my own words and admit my mistakes.
#25 Posted: 21:51:50 17/04/2012
Kappa, seriously, stop. You're acting very childish.

okay forum cop, i will stop....

[User Posted Image]
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:52:52 17/04/2012 by kappapopm
#26 Posted: 16:53:49 19/04/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: Hexin_Wishes
So glad the 3ds version is gonna be different again.

Also, I enjoy the cryptic response to the original Skylanders question. To me, it seems to imply that they will function normally and that the game itself adjusts to higher levels.

And Vicarious Visions will be making the 3DS version again.
---
Mariofanstar Blue Sparx Gems: 500
#27 Posted: 17:49:15 19/04/2012
What issue is this in? There are so many issues, it's hard to count. I don't usually buy the Official Nintendo Magazine 'cause it's sorta expensive, even though I'm a Nintendo fan and I don't remember seeing this interview. smilie
---
I'm officially leaving at 9:00pm.
#28 Posted: 17:58:23 19/04/2012
Quote: bionicle2809

No, most likely because it's being built on the Wii which has a terrible online system, both terrible as a player and developer. I've said this before, and I'll say it again, when they move their main build from the Wii then it'll most likely have multiplayer.

...No wonder I tend to lose internet connection. smilie smilie I've always wondered why my Wii has been acting weird sometimes, besides screens become frozen.
---
D-Rex Blue Sparx Gems: 815
#29 Posted: 18:56:39 19/04/2012
Awesome, the 3DS version is going to be different again! Also interesting to hear that Giants will compensate for the leveled up Skylanders. Perhaps it'll be more harder then, or even difficulty levels. We''l see.

Also, haha @ no online multilpayer. Because every game needs online multiplayer to be good. Gamers these days would never have survived in previous generations.
---
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
cowpowa23 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4833
#30 Posted: 01:34:48 20/04/2012
[User Posted Image]

Y U NO ONLINE BATTLE MODE ACTIVI$ION, YOU SUX!!!!111

Wrong way to use a meme kappa...
Yoda is dissapoint. (No really...only use memes at the RIGHT time, in the RIGHT place, and with the RIGHT mood setting...memes are very delicate....e.e (jk about the last part btw....or am I?)
---
I am a Cow.

"Moo".
Jackson117 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3875
#31 Posted: 08:45:35 20/04/2012
The marvel ultimate alliance games had loads of characters and depending on which one you were playing would always be the one that talked an interacted with other characters. Any other characters you didn't have on your team would appear as an npc to chat with, it was fun because each character had a different opinion and dialog depending who you chatted with.
#32 Posted: 10:23:05 20/04/2012
Quote: D-Rex
Awesome, the 3DS version is going to be different again! Also interesting to hear that Giants will compensate for the leveled up Skylanders. Perhaps it'll be more harder then, or even difficulty levels. We''l see.

Also, haha @ no online multilpayer. Because every game needs online multiplayer to be good. Gamers these days would never have survived in previous generations.

Exactly, that's why I still play Mario Kart 7. Then again, some certain games don't require online multiplayer. Take Super Mario Galaxy for instance, it's one of the best games of 2007 and shared the same high score/rating with Super Mario Galaxy 2 and The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. Therefore, online multiplayer ain't that nessassary sometimes.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 10:23:54 20/04/2012 by Mariofanstar
spyrothe111 Ripto Gems: 3702
#33 Posted: 10:54:19 20/04/2012
I'm Glad Spyro Will Have A Role In This Game Like He Did In The First One, After All, He Is The Reason I Got The Game, That And I Like Toys/Games. smilie
#34 Posted: 18:55:20 20/04/2012 | Topic Creator
Most of us know that Spyro is the leaderish sort of the Skylanders (mentioned in a Skylanders interview last year), he'll likely have a notable role somewhere in the story.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:10:55 20/04/2012 by Aura24
#35 Posted: 23:33:27 20/04/2012
Most of us know that Spyro is the leaderish sort of the Skylanders (mentioned in a Skylanders interview last year), he'll likely have a notable role somewhere in the story.

Is he second in command?
---
#36 Posted: 23:34:58 20/04/2012 | Topic Creator
Eon was the real leader of the Skylanders back when he had a body, so that would make Spyro second in command if Eon wasn't around I guess.
---
Trix Master 100 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8190
#37 Posted: 23:37:43 20/04/2012
or would it be eon's apprentice (his mind slipped out of my head) or us?
---
If you cannot handle me at my pumpkin spiciest, you do not deserve me at my pumpkin sweetest
icon from Empoh
#38 Posted: 23:39:18 20/04/2012 | Topic Creator
We are the new Portal Masters after Eon, making us his apprentices since we are still learning from him.
---
#39 Posted: 23:45:48 20/04/2012
true...
---
If you cannot handle me at my pumpkin spiciest, you do not deserve me at my pumpkin sweetest
icon from Empoh
#40 Posted: 23:46:32 20/04/2012
Eon was the real leader of the Skylanders back when he had a body, so that would make Spyro second in command if Eon wasn't around I guess.

If Spyro were to lead the Skylanders into the battlefield, it's like as if he's a general or a sargeant.
---
#41 Posted: 23:48:14 20/04/2012 | Topic Creator
Spyro showed example of leadership in The Beginning trailer.
---
#42 Posted: 23:50:15 20/04/2012
True... and eon did say there's still a lot more skylanders he had
---
icon from Empoh
#43 Posted: 23:55:30 20/04/2012 | Topic Creator
No, he said the journey with our Skylanders is only just beginning.
---
spyroflame0487 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3866
#44 Posted: 23:57:16 20/04/2012
If we had to build a backstory, I'd say Spyro is probably like a "leader", especially if we consider he was chosen because of his past exploits. We technically have a "General" (Robot) who leads the Skylanders Resistance (I think that's what he said). So in that sense, they kind of have a military. The Skylanders are kind of like their aces in the hole. Their "big guns".
---
Why did Uncle Peter have an interdimentional portal in his attic?
Spyro's entire collection! [Updated June 28th 15]
#45 Posted: 23:58:10 20/04/2012
Spyro showed example of leadership in The Beginning trailer.

I've already seen it.
---
#46 Posted: 23:59:42 20/04/2012 | Topic Creator
I know, I was just saying that Spyro showed example of leadership in that trailer.

Quote: spyroflame0487
If we had to build a backstory, I'd say Spyro is probably like a "leader", especially if we consider he was chosen because of his past exploits. We technically have a "General" (Robot) who leads the Skylanders Resistance (I think that's what he said). So in that sense, they kind of have a military. The Skylanders are kind of like their aces in the hole. Their "big guns".

General Robot leads the Mabu Defense Force.
---
#47 Posted: 02:16:23 21/04/2012
No, he said the journey with our Skylanders is only just beginning.

no like in one of the story scrolls
---
icon from Empoh
#48 Posted: 02:18:06 21/04/2012 | Topic Creator
You mean the one that mentions the Elder Elementals a.k.a. possibly the Giants?

"Today, there are dozens of brave Skylanders and in the past, hundreds more. But the most powerful of all Skylanders were the Elder Elementals. These giants possessed powers of Light and darkness within their flesh. No one has seen an Elder Elementals in centuries, but there are rumors that they will return someday."
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:18:54 21/04/2012 by Aura24
#49 Posted: 02:19:28 21/04/2012
naw i think it was different one. but I'm not to sure.
---
icon from Empoh
#50 Posted: 02:21:47 21/04/2012 | Topic Creator
There were a lot of Skylanders in the past before the current 32 modern ones, yes.
---
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me