Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
FAQ section? [CLOSED]
Himewad Yellow Sparx Gems: 1819
#1 Posted: 18:42:18 15/02/2012 | Topic Creator
After spending a few weeks in the main Spyro's Adventure forum, I just found out about Spyro's Universe. But I have a few questions before I create my account.

How do you play the game online? Do you use keyboard buttons to move and attack, or do you connect via the Wii's internet window (or Xbox or PS3) and use the controller as in the console game?

Is there a place in this forum (couldn't find it) or somewhere else that has some kind of beginner's guide or FAQ section to help out newbies?

I've got about 20 figures leveled to up 10. Would it be best to use the web code that I see on their profile screen, or should I just start from scratch?
---
BEST PILOT IN ALL OF SKYLANDS ... WAIT FOR IT ... BOOM!
xellos667 Red Sparx Gems: 90
#2 Posted: 18:59:55 15/02/2012
While I can't (and don't want) to make a FAQ, I can answer quickly some of your basic question.

You play by going to universe.skylanders.com and register there. It's a flash game supporting a high version of flash, so you won't be able to play on your console (tried on my PS3 and even 3DS, just for fun. Didnt worked). Everything is controlled by your mouse, even communication, since being a kid game, you can only enter pre-written sentence.

Your level in the console game and the web-game are seperate. Even with a LV10 figure in the console version, you'll start LV1 in the web game. You register your skylanders in the webgame by either putting them on the portal (plugged through USB on your PC) like you do in game, or entering the webcode card you received when you purchased your figure.

Best thing would be to go there and test yourself. It's pretty user friendly (it's for kid like I said), you should be able to understand everything in the first few minutes playing the game (there's some in-game tutorial to guid you through when you first log-in)
---
My Skylanders:
(smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie)-(smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie)-(smiliesmiliesmilie)-(smiliesmiliesmilie)-(smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie)-(smiliesmiliesmilie)-(smiliesmilie)-(smiliesmilie)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:01:24 15/02/2012 by xellos667
GothamLord Yellow Sparx Gems: 1790
#3 Posted: 19:02:41 15/02/2012
Well the online game is not the same as the PC/console game. It functions as its own individual game just as the 3DS game is its own individual game. You can play it with basically just the mouse with point and click.

Its mostly a bunch of mini-games you can walk to back and forth using your selected Skylander. You can put all your characters into the lair by either using the code or through the portal if you install the drivers. I personally didnt see all that much different with a lvl 10 vs a lower lvl character. When I entered all my figures though I didnt have most the Heroic Challenges done. I'm not sure if those make a different. I know you can swap out hats and use the generated web code via the console game update characters online, as that seemed to be the only way I could get the game to register the various hats for my collection.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:05:15 15/02/2012 by GothamLord
kappapopm Ripto Gems: 1186
#4 Posted: 19:05:09 15/02/2012
here is the newbie guide...

you start at level 0... u control with mouse, no attack like the game. you can do stuff in the mini game to make it easier to lvl up and get coins to buy stuff for your own skyland.. what else you can do is smash creates, eat flowers and whack the totem. then you can try to communicate with others with the very restricted communications... that is all...
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:06:43 15/02/2012 by kappapopm
Himewad Yellow Sparx Gems: 1819
#5 Posted: 19:11:37 15/02/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: kappapopm
here is the newbie guide...

you start at level 0... u control with mouse, no attack like the game. you can do stuff in the mini game to make it easier to lvl up and get coins to buy stuff for your own skyland.. what else you can do is smash creates, eat flowers and whack the totem. then you can try to communicate with others with the very restricted communications... that is all...

Is that what the kids call it nowadays?

Anyhoo, thanks for the responses, guys. I'll have to check it out and see if either me or my son is interested in playing it.
---
BEST PILOT IN ALL OF SKYLANDS ... WAIT FOR IT ... BOOM!
xellos667 Red Sparx Gems: 90
#6 Posted: 19:22:53 15/02/2012
No prob. Take it as a "complement" to the main game, and it should be great for you and your kid. Don't expect an entire big game (even more since it's still in Beta)
---
My Skylanders:
(smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie)-(smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie)-(smiliesmiliesmilie)-(smiliesmiliesmilie)-(smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie)-(smiliesmiliesmilie)-(smiliesmilie)-(smiliesmilie)
spyroflame0487 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3866
#7 Posted: 21:14:33 15/02/2012
How do you play the game online? Do you use keyboard buttons to move and attack, or do you connect via the Wii's internet window (or Xbox or PS3) and use the controller as in the console game?
As xellos said, you go to the Universe website and register. Unlike the game, you don't actually attack. It's basically a giant..well...pool. You just kind of move around, and you can play various mini games (there's one kinda like Angry Birds) and you earn gems, which can be used to upgrade your Skyland, allow you to rent a character you don't have for 30 minutes, and buy various extensions (element specific walkways, lairs, trees, etc)

The gems don't transfer over from the main game and vice versa, so everything is pretty self contained. The more Skylanders you have, the bigger the discount you'll get, and the farther you can upgrade your Skyland. (There's a pictorial guide here which shows the various ones; right now the highest is Level 6 I believe)

Is there a place in this forum (couldn't find it) or somewhere else that has some kind of beginner's guide or FAQ section to help out newbies?
'fraid not. Or at least I've never seen one. There's not really any skill involved, so it's best to just kind of explore. Basically, you can visit other Skylands, play some mini games, and upgrade your house. That's pretty much it.

I've got about 20 figures leveled to up 10. Would it be best to use the web code that I see on their profile screen, or should I just start from scratch?
All Skylanders start at 1 regardless of the game level. The easiest thing to do is plug the portal in via usb, and register them that way. It gets to be a nightmare trying to type them all in, but you'll get to discover a new language.

Things to watch out or make note of:
-The game is slow, but it's in beta so that's expected.
-Sometimes, codes don't work, or something else happens. There's a handy link on the universe site to submit a bug, but..I dunno if they even actually read them.
-Pretty much everyone is having trouble registering the Healing Elixir item for some reason. There's no fix for it..yet.
-Occasionally, the site will go down, usually when they're adding a new character. So expect downtime shortly after we see the next wave out.
-Easiest way to get gems is to hit the crates and barrels scattered around. Don't really worry too much about being good in the mini-game..they hardly have any payout. You should also look for the Totems that appear in the Mainland; just make sure you've got the characters with you to bash the individual element blocks.
-I don't know where your computer and collection are, so the best thing to do is choose a character from each element, and then bring them all with you to the computer. That way you can switch them around quick when you're playing to get the Flora (for your online collection) and to bash the Totems.
-Add as many people as you can, and accept everyones request forever. You get bonuses for certain things you do, like dancing for 2 minutes, or chasing the sheep. Check the medals in the Lair to see what things you can do, since you get coins for them.
-Focus on one character you're planning on leveling up, and remember what Plant is it's favorite, and what other plants of it's element look like. EAT EVERYTHING. The recoil animations are kind of hilarious when you eat a plant of another element, but you'll get more "exp" when you eat one of your element, and even more when it's the favorite of that particular Skylander.

When you first register, Eon gives you a brief walkthrough, so just listen. He'll unlock Spyro, Zap and Boomer for you, but as soon as you're all done, you should be able to immediately register everyone.
---
Why did Uncle Peter have an interdimentional portal in his attic?
Spyro's entire collection! [Updated June 28th 15]
Toleroh Yellow Sparx Gems: 1858
#8 Posted: 22:13:50 16/02/2012
spyroflame0487 - I bank coins by playing the bug-swat game and the sheep corral game. Treasure hunt is not bad either. Those are the repetitive games. The interesting games like the sky defense, ground defense, and catapult assault are rewards in themselves.

Himewad, I think this is the closest I have seen to an FAQ / Guide

At first I eschewed the online game as laggy, boring, and pointless... I think many others did as well since I rarely see any PortalMasters with a number near mine and have never seen one lower than mine (103428). I am writing to say I was totally wrong, and I will elaborate in the following loosely organized bullet points. The points about detoxing them and revealing their personalities are at the bottom.

- Customize your Skyland - This is so much better than it looks at first. The tutorial is really bad. The intro shows you how to change your deciduous tree into a coniferous tree which is... not exciting. I was away from the console on multiple occasions so I gave this another try-- wow, there are a lot of cool options on what you can do with your own Skyland: different elemental trees, bridges, fountains, lair gates, etc.

- Expand your Skyland. Think your Skyland is pathetic and puny? It is. You need to expand it!! There are EIGHT different upgrades you can buy which increase the size, number of objects, and places for other objects you can buy for the map. It reminds me of secret bases in Pokemon but thousands of times better.

- Theme your Skyland - It starts out the boring Pasture style but you can pay game coins to change it to Magic, Water (Ice), Tech, and I think there's one other style available now. I'm using the Magic theme...

- Minigames are actually good ---- Yes, more terrible tutorials. Both the Angry Birds thing and the shooting thing did a terrible job of explaining how to play and what your options are with different elements. It gives you the option to learn how to play every time you go in but of course I ignored it the first 5 horrible times. Read the instructions. AND know that on the Angry Birds thing you cannot use your click powers until you reach a certain level (in the teens). Add to your collection because each Skylander gives you another boost opportunity. You need a lot of boost to have fun at the air raid, ground defense, and for multiple levels of the Angry Birds thing. The minigames on the "mainland" are still only moderately interesting but they are challenging and are good for making money. Last, the ground defense game which was recently added is pretty good. I doubt most players who opened the game before Christmas have even seen it.

- LAG IS MUCH IMPROVED --- The overall performance and load times are much better and I have discovered on a better video card (which most of you probably have something better than me) it works really well. And I thought you were intended to teleport everywhere instead of walk *pshaw*.

- Learning how to walk helped... - You don't have to click on the ground to walk. You can hold the mouse button down and just glide it around. They can probably chew bubblegum when they're walking too.

- Doesn't break the bank... You can actually create an account and play for free. Then when you need some more elements or guys for collections, you can just rent them. *psst* *whisper* If you don't play their time out they stay in your lair */whisper*. That's also nice if you're like me and there are some guys you'll never own.

- As portable as a laptop - You don't have to be at home with a game console, TV, portal, toys, etc. You just jump on wherever you are at on with a laptop/computer and an Internet connection. No toys required.

- See your Skylander's personality with their online Emotes... click on the stupid looking smiley face in the lower left, there are some funny /neat /awesome things you can make your skylanders do. They have more personality than the console versions!!!!! They can sit down and take a load off! You also hear more sounds online than on the console.

- Skylanders get HEALTHY - No more Junk Food!! I actually played the online game a little before unpacking the console game and loved the fantasy-themed plant eating idea. I was shocked to see my skylanders scarfing nasty fatty high fructose corn syrup dairy laden junk food in the game and somehow feeling better(?), what?
Technical plant information:
There is a different plant for each skylander so you can find up to 32. Check it out in your collections section.
When you add a skylander to your collection their particular plant will start growing on your skyland.
You can also pick up new plants by eating them on the "mainland". There are plants for Skylanders not released yet... but I haven't seen all of them.
Your plant has a level which will match the level of the Skylander it corresponds to. If you have different versions of the same Skylander such as regular and legendary Spyro, the plant will match the lowest level, unless you already had the plant leveled up beforehand.
You get 50 boost for each level of the plant you eat with the appropriate Skylander by elemental. This is totally nigh irrelevant if you only have three skylanders online. Your bar is very easy to fill. But when you get 2500 boost to fill, you will want high level plants.
There are items that can be added to expanded Skylands that increase the number of plants, boost in the plants, and growth rate of the plants.
Growth rate is confusing at first!... the plants always look the same... it only refers to the amount of boost you get out of them. If you are very impatient get the Sun item. They seem to 'grow' very quickly without it.
You get some experience for eating the appropriate elemental plants.
There seems to be no penalty for eating a wrong element plant, just a funny animation.

That's it for now. Try it again and look me up (103482). I've got almost all the interesting plants growing at different times. Your skylanders need to detox for health and longevity
---
BATTLECAST: StumpSmashRules#405
PortalMaster Happy Libertyelf (RIP). Favor-eight: smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
DukeMonty Green Sparx Gems: 178
#9 Posted: 16:47:20 22/02/2012
Game Speed is awful. Is it just me or does every have really long load times and find it impossible to play ground assault as the lag makes it impossible to spam your way out of a stun?
---
smilie
nitendofan92 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4572
#10 Posted: 16:51:01 22/02/2012
try to reduce quality maybe it would work
---
THE END IS NEAR
spyroflame0487 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3866
#11 Posted: 20:05:35 22/02/2012
The worst thing for lag is the whatever Castle Assult..thing. I don't know the names off hand.

When you get the Rage Mode activated, it starts getting really choppy, and adding to more ships attacking you, AND the possibility of Rage Mode 2, you're computer basically wants to end it self when it's done.

Mine at least. I don't have a gaming computer, although I'd guess it'd be a lot better if I did.
---
Why did Uncle Peter have an interdimentional portal in his attic?
Spyro's entire collection! [Updated June 28th 15]
nitendofan92 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4572
#12 Posted: 20:10:04 22/02/2012
I have no problem with castle assault, the tresure hunt minigame is the most common to freeze
---
THE END IS NEAR
Toleroh Yellow Sparx Gems: 1858
#13 Posted: 01:20:51 29/02/2012
I've found that the game performance relies entirely on your video card.

On one laptop, the only minigame I can play is castle assault. The projectile moves realllllllly slowly across the screen.

The other ones are all too difficult because of the delay in click to seeing a graphical change.

On another laptop, everything works perfectly. I have never had a minigame freeze up.
---
BATTLECAST: StumpSmashRules#405
PortalMaster Happy Libertyelf (RIP). Favor-eight: smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
spyrathedragon Gold Sparx Gems: 2683
#14 Posted: 03:22:17 29/02/2012
I have both an excellent video and graphics card, but that's mostly because of my tech-dad.
---
Lovatic for life. <3
The Peace Keepers
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me