Page 1 of 3 | Next | Last
1 2 3
Congrats Activision (and hopefully us) [CLOSED]
Slivers Yellow Sparx Gems: 1387
#1 Posted: 06:51:16 10/11/2011 | Topic Creator
It seems Skylanders has been a significantly bigger success for Activision-Blizzard than forecasted! It, along with MW3, were sighted as reasons for raising Q4 revenue based on initial sales. This is excellent news for anyone playing the game as well; likely increasing and accelerating both expansions of Skylander characters as well as additional content!

http://investor.activision.com...eleaseID=622018

Excerpt:
"Kotick continued, "We continue to strengthen our position as the worldwide leader in interactive entertainment and the broadening of our audiences is confirmation that games are becoming as important as film and television as a mass-market form of entertainment. Our record nine-month results were driven the by the continued strength of our online-enabled franchises. Based on our third-quarter performance, stronger than expected consumer response to our new entertainment property, Skylanders: Spyro's Adventures™, and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, we are raising our full-year financial outlook and expect once again to deliver record operating margins and the highest earnings per share in our company's history."
Kotick continued, "One of Activision Blizzard's greatest skills is the creation and introduction of new intellectual properties. On October 16, we released Skylanders: Spyro's Adventures — a uniquely immersive entertainment experience that integrates the world of toys, video games and online play.** The game has received terrific reviews and sales so far are exceeding our expectations. **Millions of Skylander toys are already in kids' hands, and we expect the game will be a great holiday success."****
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#2 Posted: 13:21:27 10/11/2011
Quote:
"One of Activision Blizzard's greatest skills is the creation and introduction of new intellectual properties. On October 16, we released Skylanders: Spyro's Adventures — a uniquely immersive entertainment experience that integrates the world of toys, video games and online play. The game has received terrific reviews and sales so far are exceeding our expectations. Millions of Skylander toys are already in kids' hands, and we expect the game will be a great holiday success."

Don't lie to yourself, Kotick.
Slivers Yellow Sparx Gems: 1387
#3 Posted: 14:41:15 10/11/2011 | Topic Creator
Quote: CAV
Quote:
"One of Activision Blizzard's greatest skills is the creation and introduction of new intellectual properties"

Well, Activision of ages past smilie And I am sure Kotick assumes today "Acquistion" = "creation and introduction"

:-D

Regardless, I still read this as very good news for the future of the Skylanders franchise and am happy the risk in "toys" is having initial success for them. If anything else, I also hope it starts a larger trend gaming trend of cross-platform accounts, characters, and such since it is obviously possible ...

However, at a much much more basic level, my boys and I are enjoying the heck out of Skylanders and this brings me a big smile as I know we will have much more good times in the future within Skylands.
spyrocynderfan7 Ripto Gems: 783
#4 Posted: 00:11:28 12/11/2011
Better yet, it means Spyro returns again to his individual series, as promised.
Prysom Ripto Gems: 131
#5 Posted: 00:25:01 12/11/2011
Quote:
"One of Activision Blizzard's greatest skills is the creation and introduction of new intellectual properties. On October 16, we released Skylanders: Spyro's Adventures — a uniquely immersive entertainment experience that integrates the world of toys, video games and online play. The game has received terrific reviews and sales so far are exceeding our expectations. Millions of Skylander toys are already in kids' hands, and we expect the game will be a great holiday success."

+1 respect points, CAV.
cowpowa23 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4833
#6 Posted: 00:28:43 12/11/2011
aw really?
I was hoping they would do a Skylanders 2, then have Spyro return to his own series in another reboot..
---
I am a Cow.

"Moo".
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9026
#7 Posted: 01:16:02 12/11/2011
Quote: cowpowa23
aw really?
I was hoping they would do a Skylanders 2, then have Spyro return to his own series in another reboot..

Why can't they do both? Activison's practically large enough to take over the world... @.@
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
Shrazer320 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3564
#8 Posted: 01:36:01 12/11/2011
How many base copies sold?
SpyroDawn26 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1257
#9 Posted: 02:05:26 12/11/2011
Skylanders is a great game, but I hope they do bring back old Spyro like they said.
---
Make Pasta, Not War!
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#10 Posted: 02:22:18 12/11/2011
They never said that they were going back to the old Spyro after Skylanders. Skylanders is a reboot of the Spyro series remember?
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:22:48 12/11/2011 by Aura24
SpyroDawn26 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1257
#11 Posted: 02:31:42 12/11/2011
^

Oh. I thought they said somewhere they were going to bring back old Spyro if Skylanders was successful enough. Maybe it was just me.
---
Make Pasta, Not War!
#12 Posted: 02:33:22 12/11/2011
They never said that they were going to bring back the old Spyro. They would make full Spyro games if Skylanders is successful, but they never said they were going to go back to the Old Spyro universe if it succeed. It's just you. :3
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
spyrocynderfan7 Ripto Gems: 783
#13 Posted: 04:34:33 12/11/2011
So what will the NEXT reboot be like?
LyraDragon Yellow Sparx Gems: 1283
#14 Posted: 08:32:13 12/11/2011
i dont think another skylanders would be any good.

1. sequel games are almost allways kinda bad.
2. too many skylanders. too much money spent, too much ''omg this is pokemon'' crap everywhere.
3. i kinda want the next SPYRO game as soon as possible..
---
Team Drago
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
wanted:smilie
StevemacQ Platinum Sparx Gems: 6533
#15 Posted: 11:57:11 12/11/2011
Here's what Kotick really means to say:

"We're gonna make more money than ever before by the releasing the game with the same tired formula and we're going to forget Modern Warfare 3's existence the upon Treyarch's next Call of Duty game is announced and we'll forget about THAT game until Call of Duty in Christmas 2013 and you get the idea. We're gonna make more and more Skylander games every year but not Spyro or Crash nor are we ever going to sell the rights so we'll have less competition and making a new franchise like Skylanders was so HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARD! . We will continue to be successful as long as we keep catering Call of Duty to people who like Jersey Shore."
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
#16 Posted: 13:18:32 12/11/2011
1. Do you have any real valid proof of another Skylanders game with no Spyro in it? Saying "IT'S ACTIVISION" doesn't count.

2. They haven't even announced a new CoD yet. So even that idea is up in the air............whereas EA already rumored a possible Battlefield 4 (which series is getting milked now, EA?).

3. I like CoD and hate Jersey Shore. Am I special?
Jackson117 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3875
#17 Posted: 15:44:55 12/11/2011
Activision recently did a legal contract on getting rights for propsed themes and names that EA already did, Future, Special Ops etc are already confirmed trademarks of what activision brought...it's not rocket scienece to figure out the next move
#18 Posted: 17:58:40 12/11/2011
Quote: StevemacQ
Here's what Kotick really means to say:

"We're gonna make more money than ever before by the releasing the game with the same tired formula and we're going to forget Modern Warfare 3's existence the upon Treyarch's next Call of Duty game is announced and we'll forget about THAT game until Call of Duty in Christmas 2013 and you get the idea. We're gonna make more and more Skylander games every year but not Spyro or Crash nor are we ever going to sell the rights so we'll have less competition and making a new franchise like Skylanders was so HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARD! . We will continue to be successful as long as we keep catering Call of Duty to people who like Jersey Shore."

Another annoying Kotick rant with no proof. Something that we don't certainly need to hear so many times coming from the same person who has hatred for any game published by Activision... smilie
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 18:53:20 12/11/2011 by Aura24
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9234
#19 Posted: 18:45:25 12/11/2011
I love how Aura24 likes to try and say things worse than they already are.
---
Crash Bandicoot is over-rated
#20 Posted: 18:47:59 12/11/2011
I love how Super's usually exaggerates on most things I say.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:49:20 12/11/2011 by Aura24
Purple n Spyro Ripto Gems: 1096
#21 Posted: 18:55:35 12/11/2011
Well I hate to hear Aura24 and Super argue.
#22 Posted: 20:12:15 12/11/2011
i like how arguments appear easly.
---
Team Drago
#23 Posted: 20:14:39 12/11/2011
1. Do you have any real valid proof of another Skylanders game with no Spyro in it? Saying "IT'S ACTIVISION" doesn't count.

2. They haven't even announced a new CoD yet. So even that idea is up in the air............whereas EA already rumored a possible Battlefield 4 (which series is getting milked now, EA?).

No. Just any douchebag who goes like "OMG!!! COD IS DA GREETEST GAME EVAH!!! n00b!!! PWNAGE!!! LOL!!!" and other **** like that when playing the likes of Call of Duty and Madden. Brogamers are butt****ing the game industry. Don't worry, Activsion WILL release another Call of Duty game, they always do.... every... single... year. Don't believe me yet? http://www.computerandvideogam...-direct-sequel/
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
Forgotten World Platinum Sparx Gems: 5164
#24 Posted: 20:47:05 12/11/2011
Well there are also a lot of game out that are selling rather well, Skyrim being the top 1 I believe.
---
Life's a struggle, but when you die, it's how you handle life.
Fireball Emerald Sparx Gems: 3163
#25 Posted: 20:53:31 12/11/2011
Quote: Aura24
They never said that they were going to bring back the old Spyro. They would make full Spyro games if Skylanders is successful, but they never said they were going to go back to the Old Spyro universe if it succeed. It's just you. :3

So they basically bet that if Skylanders did well, they would make a SPYRO game? If so, does that mean they have to give us a real Spyro game?

I'm not ranting about Skylanders, but it would be nice to see Spyro in his own game again.
---
OblivionSkull21, up and coming indie developer
#26 Posted: 20:59:10 12/11/2011
Quote: Fireball
Quote: Aura24

So they basically bet that if Skylanders did well, they would make a SPYRO game? If so, does that mean they have to give us a real Spyro game?

I'm not ranting about Skylanders, but it would be nice to see Spyro in his own game again.

I don't think they will be doing that for a while, just a guess.
---
#27 Posted: 21:28:06 12/11/2011
I would be fine if there was another Spyro that has no connections towards the original games just as long as it has to something with Spyro because Skylanders sure has little to do with Spyro himself since the all the skylanders are co-protagonists.
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
#28 Posted: 21:33:06 12/11/2011
In my opinion, in order to sell well, you must make a great and flawless game. It also must be as fun as possible.
---
DarkCynder_543 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5210
#29 Posted: 23:07:59 12/11/2011
I suppose this means we're getting another Spyro game.

But I doubt we're getting ether TLOS or classic Spyro back. However, from the looks of Skylanders, I have a feeling the new Spyro will be more like the originals.
---
a true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 06:57:32 14/11/2011 by DarkCynder_543
lemmingluv Ripto Gems: 907
#30 Posted: 23:09:59 12/11/2011
if they make spin off spyro games, they should be prequels for the more popular skylanders, you know exploring their back stories more
#31 Posted: 00:12:06 13/11/2011
I prefer we move forward in the timeline I just made up (Skylanders -> Legend of Spyro -> Spyro -> A completely new Spyro)
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
#32 Posted: 01:48:34 13/11/2011
I prefer we move forward in the timeline I just made up (Skylanders -> Legend of Spyro -> Spyro -> A completely new Spyro)

and activision is going to follow a random timeline (which doesn't work together anyways) that you made up because..?
parisruelz12 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7569
#33 Posted: 01:56:54 13/11/2011
Lets leave the agurment at "Activison can be very unpredictable at times so we have no clue what is going to happen next.
Wreather it be a new Skylander's game or a new universe with old characters, Spyro is Spyro.
---
looks like ive got some things to do...
Fireball Emerald Sparx Gems: 3163
#34 Posted: 02:33:35 13/11/2011
In my timeline, it goes LoS, originals, then Skylanders. Saving the world causes Spyro to lose most of his elements which is why he can only breathe fire until he learns elements like bubbles. Over time, he becomes a Skylander.
---
OblivionSkull21, up and coming indie developer
#35 Posted: 03:59:33 13/11/2011

No. Just any douchebag who goes like "OMG!!! COD IS DA GREETEST GAME EVAH!!! n00b!!! PWNAGE!!! LOL!!!" and other **** like that when playing the likes of Call of Duty and Madden. Brogamers are butt****ing the game industry. Don't worry, Activsion WILL release another Call of Duty game, they always do.... every... single... year. Don't believe me yet? http://www.computerandvideogam...-direct-sequel/

Then thank you for basically saying I'm not that kind of guy, even though I own and play both CoD and Madden.

Not ruling out =/= Definite sequel in production
S240sx24 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1970
#36 Posted: 05:03:56 13/11/2011
basically they will do more spyro based games, which means back to the way spyro was he was the main focus and not just a special appearance character like in skylanders. Some fans wish is was back to the old spyro but i just want a real spyro game not a continuation to skylanders, hope they give spyro to a better developer.
---
please let me know what you think about my art, I'd really appreciate it.
http://forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=27051
GameMaster78 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3321
#37 Posted: 05:46:35 13/11/2011
Personally, I'd rather see a Skylanders sequel and it be a series, rather than them take a risk on rebooting Spyro with the same trends as the previous games.

I own the best Spyro games of old, which are the Insomniac games. I want to remember Spyro during that time, with those good games.

Now I want to remember Spyro, as being part of an innovative product, that appeals to kids, adults, gamers, toy collectors.

I like the Gauntlet style gameplay to boot.

Skylanders or bust for me. If they ever, and I don't see them stopping Skylanders, stop Skylanders, then I am done with the Spyro series, like I have been after Spyro 3 released.
---
Wii U: GameMaster1178, XBL: GameMaster1178, PSN: megax28
#38 Posted: 10:10:52 13/11/2011
Quote: parisruelz12
Lets leave the agurment at "Activison can be very unpredictable at times so we have no clue what is going to happen next.
Wreather it be a new Skylander's game or a new universe with old characters, Spyro is Spyro.

@bold: Spyro is Spyro? Elaborate on that. Because to me, you're just stating the obvious and what's the point of that? All three Spyros' are different in terms of gameplay, art style, graphics etc. So by that, you can't really just be as ignorant to say that Spyro is Spyro.
---
#39 Posted: 12:56:36 13/11/2011
Quote: Fireball
In my timeline, it goes LoS, originals, then Skylanders. Saving the world causes Spyro to lose most of his elements which is why he can only breathe fire until he learns elements like bubbles. Over time, he becomes a Skylander.

That wouldn't really well explain how the Skylanders came to be.
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
#40 Posted: 13:37:31 13/11/2011
Quote: Forgotten World
Well there are also a lot of game out that are selling rather well, Skyrim being the top 1 I believe.

Does that honestly surprise you?
#41 Posted: 16:19:38 13/11/2011
Quote: SuperSpyroFan

@bold: Spyro is Spyro? Elaborate on that. Because to me, you're just stating the obvious and what's the point of that? All three Spyros' are different in terms of gameplay, art style, graphics etc. So by that, you can't really just be as ignorant to say that Spyro is Spyro.

allow me:

-still purple
-still a dragon
-still out saving the world
-still the little hero we've always known
-still spyro
#42 Posted: 18:02:27 13/11/2011
1, Debatable. He appears to be bluish-violet, but that is considered a shade of purple in colour theory.

2. Not exactly. Dragons are not necessarily just lizards with wings. Noting his appearance, he would be a crossbred Chinese-Western dragon, however, parts of him correspond more to a Griffin than a dragon. It is also debatable if he can be considered a dragon because of the phylogeny he presents. His body is abnormally flexible for a draconic being, for one, and his phalanges and metacarpals/metatarsals are improper for a draconic being.

3. Whether it is actually him or not is debatable. Noting help from 31 other beings, which end up doing far more than Spyro. In terms of newtons exerted per pound of being, along with time applied to tasks, cumulative effort, heat produced, and tonnes of force exerted total along with total tons moved, the 31 other Skylanders, no matter how you look at it, in order to maintain any purpose for their being alongside Spyro, would have to have done considerably more than Spyro could do. Even if he landed the final blow, he did so because the way was cleared for him.

4. Debatable as well. Considering the above points, Spyro is at best an equal of 31 others and at worst a toady to do the dirty work. Considering how little he does in comparison to everyone else, it's debatable if he is even needed, since any resistance Kaos could conjure would easily be smothered by the 31 other Skylanders. Therefore, Spyro is but a pawn, yet through the board being cleared, he is exchanged for a queen, and closes the checkmate, to receive the glory of what was almost entirely a group effort as his own doing in entirety.

5. If you want to argue models, no. If you want to argue etymology, yes. If you wish to argue value, not at all.

I rest my case.
#43 Posted: 18:10:36 13/11/2011
oh hey your back..
---
Team Drago
#44 Posted: 18:28:25 13/11/2011
Quote: Prysom
1, Debatable. He appears to be bluish-violet, but that is considered a shade of purple in colour theory.

2. Not exactly. Dragons are not necessarily just lizards with wings. Noting his appearance, he would be a crossbred Chinese-Western dragon, however, parts of him correspond more to a Griffin than a dragon. It is also debatable if he can be considered a dragon because of the phylogeny he presents. His body is abnormally flexible for a draconic being, for one, and his phalanges and metacarpals/metatarsals are improper for a draconic being.

3. Whether it is actually him or not is debatable. Noting help from 31 other beings, which end up doing far more than Spyro. In terms of newtons exerted per pound of being, along with time applied to tasks, cumulative effort, heat produced, and tonnes of force exerted total along with total tons moved, the 31 other Skylanders, no matter how you look at it, in order to maintain any purpose for their being alongside Spyro, would have to have done considerably more than Spyro could do. Even if he landed the final blow, he did so because the way was cleared for him.

4. Debatable as well. Considering the above points, Spyro is at best an equal of 31 others and at worst a toady to do the dirty work. Considering how little he does in comparison to everyone else, it's debatable if he is even needed, since any resistance Kaos could conjure would easily be smothered by the 31 other Skylanders. Therefore, Spyro is but a pawn, yet through the board being cleared, he is exchanged for a queen, and closes the checkmate, to receive the glory of what was almost entirely a group effort as his own doing in entirety.

5. If you want to argue models, no. If you want to argue etymology, yes. If you wish to argue value, not at all.

I rest my case.

...really? it's a CHILDRENS game. do you think CHILDREN are going to care about his anatomy, particular shade of purple, how much he contributes, etc?
#45 Posted: 18:36:16 13/11/2011
Nope, the new target audience, who are CHILDREN, don't know how to complain about a character's design and every single change in a game franchise yet.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:57:21 13/11/2011 by Aura24
LevanJess Emerald Sparx Gems: 3516
#46 Posted: 18:38:32 13/11/2011
Still raging over design (and saying it isn't Spyro just because if his design), the fact he isn't the main character (and there's 31 extra characters), the fact Spyro was rebooted, and the fact Activision made it?

Some of you guys are just babies.
---
but i love it all smooth
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:39:04 13/11/2011 by LevanJess
#47 Posted: 18:58:46 13/11/2011
plus, the CHILDREN playing the game have the option to play as one of the other characters, not just spyro. who knows, maybe a lot of the kids prefer different characters over spyro?
LevanJess Emerald Sparx Gems: 3516
#48 Posted: 19:03:24 13/11/2011
^ This.

It's not just about the fanbase. The game's for children as well.
Especially since a lot of the fanbase is just plain selfish.
(Not talking about the sane fanbase, of course... I'm sure you all know who I'm talking about)
---
but i love it all smooth
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 19:35:30 13/11/2011 by LevanJess
#49 Posted: 19:16:50 13/11/2011
Quote: lemmingluv
Quote: SuperSpyroFan

allow me:

-still purple
-still a dragon
-still out saving the world
-still the little hero we've always known
-still spyro

I don't really agree with you, or see your point. To me, there are three different Spyros' and that is that.

Spyro is Spyro, really doesn't make any sense to me. It's not the same thing if it's going to be different is it.
---
#50 Posted: 19:55:06 13/11/2011
Prysom's large post in 2 words:

It's debatable.

Would've been easier if you just said that rather than appear to make a mountain out of a molehill. I think you're looking into this a bit too much, even for a Spyro fan.
Page 1 of 3 | Next | Last
1 2 3

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me