darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Spyro: Year of the Dragon > Is this game named after a creature/animal from the Chinese Zodiac?
Page 1 of 1
Is this game named after a creature/animal from the Chinese Zodiac? [CLOSED]
Mariofanstar Blue Sparx Gems: 500
#1 Posted: 11:49:40 02/10/2011 | Topic Creator
Is this game named after an animal or a creature from the Chinese Zodiac or did Insomniac Games got the idea for this title from somewhere else? I'm assuming it was called, "Year of the Dragon", for a reason 'cause it was released in 2000 which was the year of the Dragon at the time and it comes every 12 years. This makes sense why the game has this title. But I highly doubt Activision will make a game to celebrate Chinese New Year next year. smilie
---
I'm officially leaving at 9:00pm.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 11:50:24 02/10/2011 by Mariofanstar
Prysom Ripto Gems: 131
#2 Posted: 12:32:57 02/10/2011
That is one reason. The other is that a dragon generation is 12 years between hatchlings. Ergo, in Spyro 3, Spyro is 12.
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9224
#3 Posted: 17:27:07 02/10/2011
So in the first Spyro game he is 10 I'm assuming, so he was born in 1988, lol.

I'm pretty sure I heard from somewhere may have been an unreliable source but I heard that Insomniac named it year of the dragon because of the chinese zodiac.
---
Crash Bandicoot is over-rated
#4 Posted: 17:34:41 02/10/2011 | Topic Creator
Quote: SuperSpyroFan

I'm pretty sure I heard from somewhere may have been an unreliable source but I heard that Insomniac named it year of the dragon because of the chinese zodiac.

But the game first came out in 1998 so I still don't understand. smilie

If that's the reason, they really did their research. smilie smilie I didn't use the internet or Wikipedia to figure this out, I already knew about the Chinese Zodiac due to my culture/heritage.
---
#5 Posted: 17:37:26 02/10/2011
Quote: Mariofanstar

If that's the reason, they really did their research. smilie smilie I didn't use the internet or Wikipedia to figure this out, I already knew about the Chinese Zodiac due to my culture/heritage.

Huh? I'm saying that in 1998, Spyro is 10. So in 1988 he must have been born to be ten in 1998. For him to be twelve in 2000.
And 1988 was the year of the dragon before 2000.

I'm pretty sure Ted Price stated it in an interview, something about their past of video games, or it was written down.
---
#6 Posted: 17:37:32 02/10/2011 | Topic Creator
Quote: Prysom
That is one reason. The other is that a dragon generation is 12 years between hatchlings. Ergo, in Spyro 3, Spyro is 12.

Lol, that obviously makes him a pre-teen in dragon years. smilie
---
#7 Posted: 17:43:31 02/10/2011 | Topic Creator

Huh? I'm saying that in 1998, Spyro is 10. So in 1988 he must have been born to be ten in 1998. For him to be twelve in 2000.

I'm pretty sure Ted Price stated it in an interview, something about their past of video games, or it was written down.

Now, I get it! smilie smilie Thanks for clearifying things for me. I need to check that on the Chinese Zodiac when I find my Chinese calendar, it's hiding in my bedroom somewhere.

Where can I see the interview? Is it on Youtube or on a different website?
---
#8 Posted: 17:54:36 02/10/2011

Now, I get it! smilie smilie Thanks for clearifying things for me. I need to check that on the Chinese Zodiac when I find my Chinese calendar, it's hiding in my bedroom somewhere.

Where can I see the interview? Is it on Youtube or on a different website?

There's dragon years? Cool.

I can't remember now, maybe GameSpot perhaps?
---
Prysom Ripto Gems: 131
#9 Posted: 18:51:21 02/10/2011
Odd, I thought most people knew about Year of the Dragon.
#10 Posted: 19:00:03 02/10/2011 | Topic Creator

I already knew about it 'cause I celebrate Chinese New Year every year with my family. smilie smilie The next year of the Dragon should be next year and the celebration starts on 23rd January.
---
#11 Posted: 19:21:55 02/10/2011

I already knew about it 'cause I celebrate Chinese New Year every year with my family. smilie smilie The next year of the Dragon should be next year and the celebration starts on 23rd January.

Lol, are you going to play Spyro 3 with your family? smilie That would actually be really cute, and funny too.
---
#12 Posted: 23:01:27 02/10/2011 | Topic Creator

Lol, are you going to play Spyro 3 with your family? smilie That would actually be really cute, and funny too.

Nah, I'm playing the game by myself in honour of Chinese New Year.
---
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me