Page 1 of 3 | Next | Last
1 2 3
Activision know their demographic... [CLOSED]
bionicle2809 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8438
#1 Posted: 22:27:23 20/08/2011 | Topic Creator

Yes people, this game is aimed at children...
Fireball Emerald Sparx Gems: 3156
#2 Posted: 22:36:46 20/08/2011
Man, that kid sure does like to move. Is that the PC version?
---
OblivionSkull21, up and coming indie developer
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#3 Posted: 22:55:45 20/08/2011
Obviously, the children are adoring this game when they tested it out. Yet the raging older fans think Activision should pen towards their unruly demographic (no offense to other older Spyro fans).
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:04:10 20/08/2011 by Aura24
bionicle2809 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8438
#4 Posted: 23:33:49 20/08/2011 | Topic Creator
Quote: Fireball
Man, that kid sure does like to move. Is that the PC version?

He's watching YouTube videos...
#5 Posted: 23:38:40 20/08/2011
That explains why the scenes kept skipping.
---
BlackNight12 Gold Sparx Gems: 2343
#6 Posted: 01:40:36 21/08/2011
I think especially by looking at that, that kids are going to love this game. whetehr those flaming and bashing fans think so or not Activison made a good move with Spyro. it seems that so far it's going to be a hit.
---
Trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble! - Taylor Swift
Zackeio Yellow Sparx Gems: 1733
#7 Posted: 02:14:17 21/08/2011
Lets just hope this new generation of fans won't turn into this whiny cesspool that we have now. It's one thing to have doubts about a game, but throwing fits of rage. . . *sigh* the world we live in now smilie
---
Everyday that you wake up . . . is a good day.
My Gallery
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:21:26 21/08/2011 by Zackeio
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#8 Posted: 02:19:38 21/08/2011
Cesspool smilie More like spoiled to me.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
#9 Posted: 02:23:26 21/08/2011
Spoiled. . . no. Bitter yes.
---
My Gallery
Okaps Platinum Sparx Gems: 6245
#10 Posted: 02:47:38 21/08/2011
D'aww, cute smilie

That just makes me think... when I was that boy's age, the only place to watch video game previews other than the occasional commercial on TV was on those video kiosks set up at Toys R Us. Now you can do that on those fancy nerfangled phones anywhere you want.
/random thought
---
#all Spyros are valid
#11 Posted: 03:03:50 21/08/2011
Quote: Zackeio
Lets just hope this new generation of fans won't turn into this whiny cesspool that we have now. It's one thing to have doubts about a game, but throwing fits of rage. . . *sigh* the world we live in now smilie

Yea, hopefully not... the way this last generation of the fandom has turned out we actually don't even deserve another Spyro game. Hopefully this will turn things aroud for the fandom.

Although there will always be haters and aguments to come from them.
---
Trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble! - Taylor Swift
S240sx24 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1970
#12 Posted: 04:57:24 21/08/2011
Guys dont beat yourself up for what the fan base has turned too, it is what it is unfortunately. Well I unlike other whinning spyro fans will just wait until another game can come out to where hopefully it'll be a spyro game that will truely revolve around him, plus i cant be seen buying this game at work or anywhere lol, DOTD good, even the classics ok, but skylanders um hmm no lol im 20 lol would look very odd from a guy like me with a monster hat picking this up lol. Just saying lol
---
please let me know what you think about my art, I'd really appreciate it.
http://forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=27051
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 05:01:45 21/08/2011 by S240sx24
Bolt Hunter Gems: 6135
#13 Posted: 05:24:14 21/08/2011
You do know I was like this over Spyro with the Original games..
---
you don't know me. i break things
I draw stuff.
parisruelz12 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7569
#14 Posted: 19:14:36 21/08/2011

I hate fans who play one game and they think they know everything about the seires. Then they see a site (like this) that has all the games on it. They play the games and say that one (or both)of the other series suck(s). I call them 'Whiny 8 year olds'...Beacuse most of them are. >>'
Its just my opinon.
---
looks like ive got some things to do...
alicecarp Prismatic Sparx Gems: 12760
#15 Posted: 19:41:43 21/08/2011
Nowadays, people my age and older would be saying to younger kids "When I was your age, Spyro used to look like this." *points to a picture of classic Spyro*
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:43:05 21/08/2011 by alicecarp
#16 Posted: 19:55:57 21/08/2011
Quote: alicecarp
Nowadays, people my age and older would be saying to younger kids "When I was your age, Spyro used to look like this." *points to a picture of classic Spyro*

This
Even though Im not old enough yet.
---
LyraDragon Yellow Sparx Gems: 1283
#17 Posted: 20:18:15 21/08/2011
haters gonna hate.
---
Team Drago
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
wanted:smilie
#18 Posted: 20:21:41 21/08/2011
Quote: LyraDragon
haters gonna hate.

Someone make a skylanders GIF of this overly used meme.
---
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#19 Posted: 20:29:21 21/08/2011
I daaaaaawwww'd.

Looking at the comments in this topic, I guess I'm the only one that did.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 20:30:39 21/08/2011 by CAV
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
#20 Posted: 20:33:54 21/08/2011
D'AWWWWW.

He's wearing a Thomas the Tank Engine top!
I used to love that show! X3
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
#21 Posted: 20:47:58 21/08/2011
^Its still around....Execpt...Its just crappy now...My childhood TV memories are ruined beacuse of it..
---
#22 Posted: 21:32:20 21/08/2011
Quote: CAV
I daaaaaawwww'd.

Looking at the comments in this topic, I guess I'm the only one that did.

You are not alone.. it was cute. smilie
---
NEW_SpyroLUVA Emerald Sparx Gems: 3308
#23 Posted: 23:15:37 21/08/2011

If by cesspool you mean bratty kids throwing tantrums if you DARE have an opposing viewpoing then yes I agree.
---
3 uses of teh Int@rw3bz: get info, waste time, and complain.
"Stick to your guns and keep on firin'!" - Max (Me)
#24 Posted: 01:26:29 22/08/2011
Quote: NEW_SpyroLUVA

If by cesspool you mean bratty kids throwing tantrums if you DARE have an opposing viewpoing then yes I agree.

Ya' mean the whiney 8 year olds?
Thats why there should be a age limit on the fourm. 10+.
---
#25 Posted: 01:32:17 22/08/2011
No, it's not just kids, sadly enough I've met adults who'll go bat shiz crazy on you for hating on Cynder. And as for the idea of a forum age limit, NO. There are children of all ages playing Spyro and its rude and mean to exclude them for thier age. Not to mention what I said above; people of all ages are jerks in this fanbase, so limiting site entry to 10 and over wouldn't fix a thing.
---
#26 Posted: 01:37:37 22/08/2011
No, it's not just kids, sadly enough I've met adults who'll go bat shiz crazy on you for hating on Cynder. And as for the idea of a forum age limit, NO. There are children of all ages playing Spyro and its rude and mean to exclude them for thier age. Not to mention what I said above; people of all ages are jerks in this fanbase, so limiting site entry to 10 and over wouldn't fix a thing.

Suit yourself.But when 8 7 and 6 year olds are throwing tantrums on the fourm, Youll wish for an age limit.
---
#27 Posted: 01:49:44 22/08/2011
I stand by my previous statement. Just as adults can get bratty with you, children can be very reasonable and decent.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:49:54 22/08/2011 by NEW_SpyroLUVA
#28 Posted: 01:51:44 22/08/2011
I stand by my previous statement. Just as adults can get bratty with you, children can be very reasonable and decent.

I suppose you have a point.
But the adults still have the nick name 'Whiney 8 year olds.'
---
#29 Posted: 01:53:14 22/08/2011
I think that insults the 8 year olds, for the reason I stated in my last post.
---
#30 Posted: 01:53:45 22/08/2011
^Yes, if you tell a kid to stop doing something, they usually stop. Atleast on the internet, that is. Kids believe that if you're older than them and they give you an order, you need to follow it.
---
#31 Posted: 02:03:38 22/08/2011
No, it's not just kids, sadly enough I've met adults who'll go bat shiz crazy on you for hating on Cynder.

Those are often the same guys that visit Herpy every hour of ever day of every week of every month and forget that the forums exist.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:04:45 22/08/2011 by CAV
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6082
#32 Posted: 02:58:01 22/08/2011
Most of the trouble makers I know in this fandom (okay, all of them) are over 13. The worst offenders I've met, with only one exception, are over 20. Frankly, I think a younger age range in the fandom would make things a lot better than they are.
#33 Posted: 03:10:47 22/08/2011
I personally think we need to strike a balance.

People over 20 often rant about the "good ol days" when Spyro didn't look "like a mutated pug". Some also have a deep attraction towards a certain fictional character and allowed it to take control of proper logic and reasoning, which leads to their comments slowly turning into "SHUT UP AND LEAVE ME ALONE smilie smilie smilie smilie".

People under 13 often don't seem to get how the internet works at all, and then wonder why people are picking on them even though trolling is the internet equivalent of being picked on in 2nd grade and things like this should be easy for them to handle.

We need to find a way to balance all of it out with logical people from both sides (along with everyone in between), and then maybe, just maybe we could one day have a sane fanbase.......highly doubt it though.

And before someone says "Yeah but _______ doesn't act like this and they're over 20/under 13", note how I said the word often.
#34 Posted: 03:36:45 22/08/2011
Hmmm smilie , perhaps the problem maybe in the fact that Spyro gets tossed around a lot. . . and yes I'm quite aware that there are other games that get tossed around more often than Spyro. If memory serves. . . I recall some LOS fans not liking DOTD and some LOS fans adoring it. Keep in mind that LOS was developed by two developers during its run (Despite my disappointment of it I did like Sierra's style over ETL but that's not saying much smilie ). It's possible that do to the constant developer match ups, Spyro attracts different kinds of fans for almost each new game release.

What I'm getting at, is because we are introduce to so many different types of fans we're not mentally ready to accept them just yet. This is why I hope this new generation of fans is more mentally tolerate for all types of fans that Spyro has brought in throughout the years.

Hopefully they'll set an example for others to follow - but wait hold on. I think we can start now, at least welcome our new fanbase with open arms and not pitch forks and torches smilie .

And - crap, I can't believe I marred this thread into what it is now smilie . . . I really need to learn when to hold my tongue.
---
My Gallery
#35 Posted: 03:51:21 22/08/2011
Quote:
Hopefully they'll set an example for others to follow - but wait hold on. I think we can start now, at least welcome our new fanbase with open arms and not pitch forks and torches smilie .

Now there's some good ideas right there! smilie

Alas, hate to break it to you, CAV, but your generalizations don't really work as I have yet to see any of those things en mass. The only real generalizations that fit are that most Cynder fans, regardless of age, are horrid, and almost everyone over 12 hates Skylanders for no good reason. smilie
#36 Posted: 04:32:34 22/08/2011
They fit perfectly with the kids (and adults) I've seen. It's based off of what I've seen, not what we all see.
#37 Posted: 04:44:37 22/08/2011
Quote: Razz
Quote:

Now there's some good ideas right there! smilie

Alas, hate to break it to you, CAV, but your generalizations don't really work as I have yet to see any of those things en mass. The only real generalizations that fit are that most Cynder fans, regardless of age, are horrid, and almost everyone over 12 hates Skylanders for no good reason. smilie

Im turning 13, and I like Cynder and Skylanders.
Does that make me strange.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 04:46:12 22/08/2011 by parisruelz12
#38 Posted: 05:26:54 22/08/2011
It definitely makes you a minority in this fandom. smilie But not strange. smilie
#39 Posted: 05:31:30 22/08/2011
Ah. Thanks.smilie
Although, I am starting to lose my liking towards TLoS.
---
#40 Posted: 06:08:59 22/08/2011
Heh, alas, that's pretty normal these days. A lot of people have grown to hate LoS thanks to its fans (I used to like it for pretty much sucking and part of me still does, but a bigger part has learned to hate it thanks to its fans). smilie
#41 Posted: 06:14:08 22/08/2011
I would'nt say that I hate them, I just can't find what's fun about them anymore. smilie
Although recently, Ive been finding the classics more fun. smilie Some of the challenges I still finding somewhat of a challenge in them. smilie I don't know why either. Im guessing its beacuse of my small disabilty.
---
semp123 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3232
#42 Posted: 06:17:48 22/08/2011
and almost everyone over 12 hates Skylanders for no good reason. smilie

I'm thirteen, and looking forward to Skylanders.

I guess that makes me a minority of the fandom as well?
#43 Posted: 07:03:09 22/08/2011
Paris: I never enjoyed playing LoS. The fun I got from it was the art, the music, the mediocre-to-bad voice acting, and the over-the-top, dumb, cheesy "story" penned by a pair of non-writers. smilie Whenever I wanted to play a Spyro game to actually have fun, it was always the classics (which are designed around gameplay more than anything else).

Also, do you mind if I ask what disability? You can PM me if you don't want to say here (or not say at all if it makes you uncomfortable). I'm blind myself, which made a lot of things in TEN and DotD a nightmare (not to mention some of the things in AHT).

Semp: Just liking the game at all makes you a minority in the fandom right now. smilie
#44 Posted: 07:52:07 22/08/2011
I liked LOS because... Uh... It was Spyro? I was stupid? Both?
Man I honestly don't know why I liked LOS.... Maybe it WAS a combination of Spyro and my stupidity, not to mention the newness of it all to me. I think I liked it for being my favorite purple dragon and because I was too much of a hyper active idiot to realize the failures in the story and character. Not to mention that I'd never played anything quite like it, with the so called 'dramatic' story and so called 'action packed' gameplay mixed with cartoonishness. (You see the only other dramatic and action packed game I'd played at the time was American McGee's Alice1 and lord knows that's WORLDS away from being Spyro-esq or cartoonish!)

But then I matured, talked to some bright people, settled down, opened my eyes, and so ended my liking of LOS.

As for Skylanders, I'm not buzzed about it, but I see it's potential and though i doesn't wow me I see aspects in it that draw my attention and urge me to try it.
---
Okaps Platinum Sparx Gems: 6245
#45 Posted: 09:56:45 22/08/2011
This talk makes me wonder if several years from now, Skylanders fans will say they've always hated the game :3c

I expected LoS to be like a "game based on movie" game, and that's exactly what I got. Even though the movie was canceled/not yet announced, that's just the impression I got from it - both in previews and the game itself.

The only time a fanbase has affected my enjoyment of a game was WoW, where the fanbase WAS the game. So what if someone draws self-insert mary sue characters on some popular website - they aren't bringing your gameplay to a halt to argue about how much they deserve every single drop.
---
#all Spyros are valid
Ice Dragoness Diamond Sparx Gems: 7896
#46 Posted: 12:57:12 22/08/2011
That little boy is cute smilie
#47 Posted: 16:40:48 22/08/2011
I'm slowly losing any sort of interest in LoS as well, but not because of the fans.

It's the cliche story, several plotholes in DotD, and a villian that makes King Dedede look extremely menancing.
#48 Posted: 16:54:55 22/08/2011
Paris: I never enjoyed playing LoS. The fun I got from it was the art, the music, the mediocre-to-bad voice acting, and the over-the-top, dumb, cheesy "story" penned by a pair of non-writers. smilie Whenever I wanted to play a Spyro game to actually have fun, it was always the classics (which are designed around gameplay more than anything else).

Also, do you mind if I ask what disability? You can PM me if you don't want to say here (or not say at all if it makes you uncomfortable). I'm blind myself, which made a lot of things in TEN and DotD a nightmare (not to mention some of the things in AHT).

Semp: Just liking the game at all makes you a minority in the fandom right now. smilie

I have to agree with you there, Razz. smilie
But there is also the fact that Classic Spyro played a major part in my childhood. smilie He will have a speical place in my heart. smilie

Well, iits a hand-eye coordination disabilty. It means that Im not co-ordintated well with my hands (Handwirting, drawing etc) Some things in Spyro I still find somewhat hard. (Like those Sparx shooters and the mini games with Spyro and the cannons in AHT) I don't really get why either.
---
#49 Posted: 17:39:32 22/08/2011
The minigames in AHT were hard. D: I hated them a great deal for similar reasons.

As to LoS, I think it might have held up better if it hadn't been so focused on a specific time period in our culture (right down to having pop culture references that really date it). The older games generally stay firmly in their own fantasy worlds without referencing ours, so you don't get that sense of being yanked violently out of the story/game. And LoS did come along right about when all of its cliches had been done so often that nobody didn't know them already and many people were already sick of them by then. *raises hand* I remember putting ANB in my GameCube and laughing hysterically because I just couldn't believe that we were supposed to take that much cliche so seriously right out of the gate. And I predicted everything that happened in DotD from the end of ANB (minus Malefor sucking that hard and with a lot more optimism that it would at least be somewhat heartfelt instead of the by-the-numbers cliches we got instead of story).
#50 Posted: 17:51:08 22/08/2011
The minigames in AHT were hard. D: I hated them a great deal for similar reasons.

^thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiisssssss

Plus they were plain out boring. I often just didn't want to play them, but I had to.
Page 1 of 3 | Next | Last
1 2 3

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me