darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure > The "Looks OK but im not buying it" thread.
Page 1 of 1
The "Looks OK but im not buying it" thread. [CLOSED]
Ratchet Blue Sparx Gems: 662
#1 Posted: 01:27:00 13/02/2011 | Topic Creator
Me personally, didnt expect this reboot and really find it like a breathe of fresh air compared to LOS. However, I will not be buying it. Why? Because this is OBVIOUSLY a gimmick to make more money by activision.

If this wasnt a gimmick, then we wouldnt have to play 70 dollars for a game, just because it contains action figures, a portal and some cards. I would much prefer all characters are built into the game and you unlock them in the game than paying 5-10 dollars for additional characters. Do I think that it will be popular amoung kids? YES, definitely. In a marketing perspective, this could sell very well. But I wont be buying it because for one, it cost WAY too much money (I waited till ANB and TEN came down to 20 dollars before buying them) and it is hardly a spyro game.

C'mon people, you can tell they thought of the the skylanders idea, and added Spyro later on. Its not a spyro game, and probably if you played the whole game only with spyro you will be missing out on the main features of the game (all the different character abilities)

Theres evidence that this game could be very very good, but I will not give into a gimmick and buy this game.
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#2 Posted: 01:34:35 13/02/2011
This could be a gimmick, or innovation, depending on if the game is good.

I plan to buy this. Even if it wasn't Spyro I would still be interested in this, because it sounds like a good idea that can be revolutionary if it's done right.

And $10 more sounds reasonable. They could've easily made it $80 since it's 3 figures, but they didn't, and it's a bargin in my eyes.

Yes, odds are they thought of the Skylanders idea, then figured that Spyro needed a comback and put him in there. Doesn't make the game better or worse.

Activision is doing what they do best: making money. Frankly I perfer this over another new Guitar Hero or Call of Duty game where they change nothing and expect us to buy it. They are actually trying something new, and this is the first time I ever applauded Activision for their decisions. And you know how much I hate Activision.
#3 Posted: 01:41:48 13/02/2011 | Topic Creator
I dont think they thought "Spyro needs a comeback", they thought "We have an IP that we are probably not going to use (Spyro), lets put him in the game to generate more money!". And I dont see it as a bargin because it could have been in the game. I see it as a gimmicky inconvenience. I would have much rather the characters be built into the game and it cost 10 dollars cheaper than having to search in the cupboard for that certain figurine and put it on a platform.

It doesnt make the game any better or worse, I know, but dont just buy it "because its a spyro game" when it really isnt.

This may be trying something new, but its gimmicky new, not innovative new. The wii mote is innovative, this is a gimmick which would have been cheaper and more efficient if it was just built into the game.

No doubt the game could be good, and could sell very well, but I refuse to buy it.
Byrn Yellow Sparx Gems: 1250
#4 Posted: 01:48:57 13/02/2011
I know what you mean and it is frustrating, some games seem like they are just made for the players, while others are made for the companies.
---
Sanity is a one trick pony, all you get is one trick, rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, the skys the limit!
#5 Posted: 01:49:53 13/02/2011
Spyro wouldn't get them more money, since the gaming world has forgotten about him. Let's face it: nobody in the gaming business today gives a crap about Spyro or Crash. If Activision didn't think he needed a place to start his comeback, they wouldn't have brung him back at all, and would've let him die with DotD being his last game.

Yes, but putting them in the game before hand kinda makes people wonder "then why wasn't Cynder or Hunter in this?".

I'm not buying it just because it's a Spyro game. Hell, odds are I would rent it if it was possible. If Spyro was nowhere to be seen, I would still have interest in it, since it's a good idea that can actually work.

Wii-mote was a gimmick. Guitar Hero was a gimmick. DJ Hero was a gimmick. All of them were gimmicks, but they became revolutionary and changed the face of gaming to the point where people have tried to copy them to get a piece of the success. PSMove and Kinect are prime examples of companies copying the idea so they can get some sales.
Spyroo Blue Sparx Gems: 867
#6 Posted: 01:52:16 13/02/2011
If it looks good, I'll buy it. I don't care who the main character is. To me, this game looks promising, so I'll buy it.

Even if this game was all about DotD Cynder(!) I would still buy it, because it looks appealing.
---
http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/glumshanks - Because apparently the user 'Kaos' is a spammer. Sheesh, Kaos, srsly?
#7 Posted: 01:59:17 13/02/2011 | Topic Creator
If it was not a spyro game, we wouldnt be talking about it right now. There wouldnt be 15, 000 hits on the demo of the game only 2 days after the video is uploaded. Spyro may not give them many many more sales, but he will give them more. They probably wanted a dragon for one of the characters, and thought "Lets use Spyro, oh lets make the game about spyro so we get interest from spyro fans". There wouldnt be this many posts on this forum if Spyro was dead. There still is a community, and they are using that comminity.

""then why wasn't Cynder or Hunter in this?"."
^ what do you mean by this?

Im not saying that I do not have interest in this, it looks good. But 70 dollars is not worth a gimmick, and I wont just buy this because it is "the new spyro game" and thats what I am trying to say.

The Wiimote was not a gimmick IMO. It added something to the gameplay (But I am not into Wii anyway, so it really defeats the purpose for me talking about it). ( I do agree with guitar hero and DJ hero, I have no clue why they are popular games)

Im not argueing whether this gimmick will sell well, it most definitely well. But It wont sell out of my pockets because I can tell its a gimmick I dont want and really does not add anything.
Gwenio Gold Sparx Gems: 2454
#8 Posted: 02:08:15 13/02/2011
Quote: Ratchet
If it was not a spyro game, we wouldnt be talking about it right now. There wouldnt be 15, 000 hits on the demo of the game only 2 days after the video is uploaded. Spyro may not give them many many more sales, but he will give them more. They probably wanted a dragon for one of the characters, and thought "Lets use Spyro, oh lets make the game about spyro so we get interest from spyro fans". There wouldnt be this many posts on this forum if Spyro was dead. There still is a community, and they are using that comminity.

""then why wasn't Cynder or Hunter in this?"."
^ what do you mean by this?

Im not saying that I do not have interest in this, it looks good. But 70 dollars is not worth a gimmick, and I wont just buy this because it is "the new spyro game" and thats what I am trying to say.

The Wiimote was not a gimmick IMO. It added something to the gameplay (But I am not into Wii anyway, so it really defeats the purpose for me talking about it). ( I do agree with guitar hero and DJ hero, I have no clue why they are popular games)

Im not argueing whether this gimmick will sell well, it most definitely well. But It wont sell out of my pockets because I can tell its a gimmick I dont want and really does not add anything.

But including Spyro will get lots of free advertising from all those angry fans. And people will not care if it is not 'Spyro', so even though the messages will be charged with hate it will help this game sell.
#9 Posted: 02:11:15 13/02/2011 | Topic Creator
Well this is true too. But I can not stress enough that I do not hate this game. If this game wasnt Spyro, didnt have the gimmick/cost less, I would buy it too. Its simply the gimmick and the price that turns me off this. It has nothing to do with Spyro's looks, personality, or anything like that.
#10 Posted: 02:27:51 13/02/2011
Yes, but you claim it's not a Spyro game. So in your book, it isn't. Spyro is going to help the sales, but not to the point that it's the only thing they thought about when putting him in.

It's bad enough that people are upset that they aren't in the game as toys. But if there was no toys, it would only make them think that they should've been in there more.

Wiimote was a gimmick. So was Guitar and DJ hero. They were simple gimmicks made to gain sales. But they worked so well that they became revolutionary and innovative. What's stopping Skylanders form being innovative if these items were able to do it?

And Guitar Hero is popular because it works very well. The only reason why they lost popularity is becuase Activision kept churning them out without changing much of the gameplay like Rock Band was.
DarkCynder10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3346
#11 Posted: 02:37:15 13/02/2011
I don't even know what system it's for...
---
( ૭ ಠ___ಠ)૭
#12 Posted: 02:38:54 13/02/2011 | Topic Creator
It was the thought what they put him in. To get more of the old fans to get the game, and more of the moms who recognize spyro to buy the game for their kid.

And again, I dont doubt that skylanders will sell well, I just wont buy it because its a gimmick I dont need or want.
GamingMaster_76 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1271
#13 Posted: 02:49:25 13/02/2011
Quote: CAV
Activision is doing what they do best: making money. Frankly I perfer this over another new Guitar Hero or Call of Duty game where they change nothing and expect us to buy it. They are actually trying something new, and this is the first time I ever applauded Activision for their decisions. And you know how much I hate Activision.

Agreed.

Quote: Spyroo
If it looks good, I'll buy it. I don't care who the main character is. To me, this game looks promising, so I'll buy it.

Even if this game was all about DotD Cynder(!) I would still buy it, because it looks appealing.

Agreed again.

Quote: DarkCynder10
I don't even know what system it's for...

So far it's only confirmed on Wii and 3DS but will come out on other systems.
TheFireInside Gold Sparx Gems: 2426
#14 Posted: 03:05:01 13/02/2011
I think the price is ridiculous too ratchet; I also agree on having characters be unlockables instead of having to buy a bunch of figurines
---
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie smiliesmiliesmilie smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie smiliesmiliesmilie smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
Lila-the-dragon Blue Sparx Gems: 762
#15 Posted: 03:54:02 13/02/2011
Not buying it. Im not paying 70 bucks for all this, and it isnt even guaranteed Spyro's ugly toy will be in the pack. And why is it "Spyro's adventure" when its not EVEN CENTERED around him?
#16 Posted: 09:56:11 13/02/2011 | Topic Creator
Quote: TheFireInside
I think the price is ridiculous too ratchet; I also agree on having characters be unlockables instead of having to buy a bunch of figurines

Im surprised there isnt more people that agree with us
Dragons-go-hrr Platinum Sparx Gems: 6991
#17 Posted: 07:01:43 14/02/2011
I might buy it, but I probably wouldn't buy all the characters, unless it was COMPLETELY neccessary. But what I do think is stupid, is that it sounds like their trying to target all the classic Spyro fans by making it based on them right? But their aiming the game at 6-12 year olds, and I'd say almost ALL the CLassic Spyro fans would be over 12 by now, even Spyro ITSELF is over 12! It's kinda weird... That and Spyro is really ugly... smilie
---
"Was it a hot ghost?"
Byrn Yellow Sparx Gems: 1250
#18 Posted: 08:25:11 14/02/2011
Yikes, imagine how much it will cost someone to get all 30ish of the figures, especially if they are what $10.00 a pop? 30 figures X $10.00 + $70.00 for the game. 0_0 I feel sorry for some parents out there lol.
---
Sanity is a one trick pony, all you get is one trick, rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, the skys the limit!
#19 Posted: 10:44:37 14/02/2011 | Topic Creator
No doubt that this will be very popular amoung kids. I wouldnt say that they tried to make Classic fans happy (More so than LOS fans though) with his change of look and return of no characters.

I am the kind of person who doesnt spend too much money readily, so maybe its just that personality trait why I think that this is way too expensive.

Oh and also the fact that Australian games are sometimes twice the price of American versions
zzsdf Emerald Sparx Gems: 4173
#20 Posted: 13:50:18 14/02/2011
Yes, but you claim it's not a Spyro game. So in your book, it isn't. Spyro is going to help the sales, but not to the point that it's the only thing they thought about when putting him in.

It's bad enough that people are upset that they aren't in the game as toys. But if there was no toys, it would only make them think that they should've been in there more.

Wiimote was a gimmick. So was Guitar and DJ hero. They were simple gimmicks made to gain sales. But they worked so well that they became revolutionary and innovative. What's stopping Skylanders form being innovative if these items were able to do it?

And Guitar Hero is popular because it works very well. The only reason why they lost popularity is becuase Activision kept churning them out without changing much of the gameplay like Rock Band was.

Yesterday GH got cancelled... Awesome news for the Spyro fans!
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#21 Posted: 13:51:19 14/02/2011
Quote: zzsdf

It wasn't cancelled yesterday. It was cancelled last week..
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
#22 Posted: 13:54:50 14/02/2011
Quote: Aura24

Oh, I heard it yesterday... Well that's better, they have one more week to work on Skylanders! smilie
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#23 Posted: 13:56:07 14/02/2011

Oh, I heard it yesterday... Well that's better, they have one more week to work on Skylanders! smilie

No, Skylanders is going to released in Fall 2011... smilie
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
#24 Posted: 13:59:22 14/02/2011

No, Skylanders is going to released in Fall 2011... smilie

Yeah, I know, I was saying that without GH, Activision can work more on Skylanders.
I thought it was cancelled yesterday, but then you told me that it was last week, so for me they had one more week to work on Skylanders. smilie
karen f Yellow Sparx Gems: 1578
#25 Posted: 16:21:56 14/02/2011
Well, I wont be buying it, For one, its way to much money, and for another they went way off the original direction they were going with DOTD. I might play it a bit if one of my friends buy it, to see how it is, but I'm a little sceptical. And to me I think the skylander spyro looks cool, but it just doesn't look like Spyro to me. When I think of all the other games so far I think: yea, thats definitly Spyro! but this new form just seems like a totaly different dragon. I think activisions just trying to get money off of this, with the new looks. If they'd stuck to a game baced off of what happens after Dotd, Then I'de buy it. Personaly I liked the First Spyro game and Dotd, so this just seems weird to me.
---
~That akward moment when it seems like your post has made other people want to stop posting...~
XSparxX Emerald Sparx Gems: 4752
#26 Posted: 16:37:03 14/02/2011
Its a up-to-date classic Spyro *sing the "its a up-to-date classic Spyro" song xDDD*
---
"If I had any humanity left, I would have been crushed by the guilt by now."
Sjmaster Blue Sparx Gems: 579
#27 Posted: 17:45:45 14/02/2011

I thought the reason they axed Guitar Hero was to put more focus into COD.

Yeah, I know, I was saying that without GH, Activision can work more on Skylanders.
I thought it was cancelled yesterday, but then you told me that it was last week, so for me they had one more week to work on Skylanders. smilie

They Axed Guitar Hero so they could focus on COD.
ravenouscynder Ripto Gems: 864
#28 Posted: 18:43:36 14/02/2011
Screw COD.
#29 Posted: 18:44:13 14/02/2011
^This.
ravenouscynder Ripto Gems: 864
#30 Posted: 18:46:21 14/02/2011
^ This for thising my post.
GamingMaster_76 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1271
#31 Posted: 19:28:26 14/02/2011
These. ^
Quote: Ratchet
No doubt that this will be very popular amoung kids. I wouldnt say that they tried to make Classic fans happy (More so than LOS fans though) with his change of look and return of no characters.

I am the kind of person who doesnt spend too much money readily, so maybe its just that personality trait why I think that this is way too expensive.

Oh and also the fact that Australian games are sometimes twice the price of American versions

Really? O.O
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
#32 Posted: 20:09:01 14/02/2011
I probably won't get it. And if by a miracolous turn of events a Conker sequel is announced, I definitely won't get it, as I will need my money for that!smilie
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
#33 Posted: 02:21:25 15/02/2011 | Topic Creator
Quote: XSparxX
Its a up-to-date classic Spyro *sing the "its a up-to-date classic Spyro" song xDDD*

He looks as much as like LOS Spyro than he does Original Spyro. IMO he's not a micture of the 2 either, he's just another variation.

And yes, New games in Australia can cost up to 150 dollars and usually start off Minimum 40-50 dollars (For games not selling well)
TheWereCat Yellow Sparx Gems: 1000
#34 Posted: 17:28:17 15/02/2011
Quote: sonicbrawler182
I probably won't get it. And if by a miracolous turn of events a Conker sequel is announced, I definitely won't get it, as I will need my money for that!smilie

Aha, I assure you Microsoft won't be making a sequel soon... Damnit, Bill Gates.
---
"It's time to call in the big guns."
Own:smilie smilie smilie smilie
#35 Posted: 17:38:14 15/02/2011
...It was a joke....smilie
---
Darby Platinum Sparx Gems: 5738
#36 Posted: 22:25:56 16/02/2011
Right now I'm not sure if I'll get it, tbh..
#37 Posted: 22:27:23 16/02/2011
Same....
...now I feel sad...I'm listening to Broken Soul.....and my opinions on this game are split....DEEEEPP...smilie
---
#38 Posted: 22:29:23 16/02/2011
smilie Really, this game doesn't feel Spyro-ish and doesn't interest me in the least, really. I wish it did, I really do, because Spyro's been a humongous part of my interest since I was little, and now it's like that's gone. :/
#39 Posted: 22:30:29 16/02/2011
I'm still really interested in past games, but this new one?
....Not really! =/
---
#40 Posted: 22:32:48 16/02/2011
Yeah, me too! I still like to talk about them, but it feels like they're dead and forgotten about. tbh this feels like a bigger change than the change from Original Spyro to TLoS Spyro, in every way.
#41 Posted: 22:37:37 16/02/2011
Yeah...the gameplay looks like some run-of-the-mill movie tie-in, with a bit of Devil May Cry and Crash of the Titans...
---
#42 Posted: 22:39:59 16/02/2011
And the purple dragon is the only similarity. Ghhh, people will disagree with me, but TLoS was way more in touch with the Original Spyro, from the looks of it. Wuth TLoS, I really didn't mind moving on from Original Spyro. That series was a change I liked. This, not so much.
#43 Posted: 22:45:45 16/02/2011
Oh, and I forgot to mention the glaring similarities to Pokémon...*points at signature*

The only other similarity is the sheep, really. Not even the environments look like Classic Spyro(however, there were three that reminded me of particular LoS locales).

Lack of similarity to past Spyro games isn't what gets me though.....it's the overload of similarities to other games that bugs me...
---
#44 Posted: 22:50:38 16/02/2011
What'd that be? Gary Oak? smilie

And the sheep, yes, definitely. Other than that, I'm not sure. It's like something completely new. (not that TLoS wasn't, but it still had similarities, slightly). There's a world that reminds me EXACTLY of the cloud world in AHT. I forget what it's called. And there's places that remind me EXACTLY of TLoS worlds too

Differences/changes between Spyro games doesn't get to me either. It gives more variety. maybe that's why I like TLoS so much.. Ehh. But I'm not sure why I don't like this. It's just.. not Spyro! He's not even the main character. Nothing anyone's going to say will change my opinion on that, because it's true in my eyes. He's just featured because he's the only familiar character.
#45 Posted: 22:54:25 16/02/2011
Yep....
Player=Portal Master=Pokémon Trainer/Master/Ash
Spyro and the Skylanders=Pikachu and the Pokemon
Rival/Enemt=Kaos=GARY "MOTHER ****ING" OAK!!!D:

This game also makes me think of a dumbed down LoS, really...
---
#46 Posted: 12:00:53 17/02/2011 | Topic Creator
My main reason for not liking this is the gimmick isnt worth the price. And it doesnt look enough like a Spyro game for me to solely base it on the fact its a Spyro game
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me