darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Imaginators > A Little Discussion About Art Styles
Page 1 of 1
A Little Discussion About Art Styles
BlueFox Gold Sparx Gems: 2629
#1 Posted: 20:02:41 01/10/2020 | Topic Creator
If Skylanders were to be rebooted, would you mind if everything became Nicolas Kole-ified? Or if characters got redesigned?

Personally I think a character or two could use some pizzazz, and I've wondered for quite some time what would happen if you gave him a Skylander to work with. But I still like the general art direction of the franchise.
Bifrost Platinum Sparx Gems: 7497
#2 Posted: 21:23:23 01/10/2020
I'm not sure we know much how he'd do the humans, but I'd be glad to give it a chance! Crash showed he knows to keep most of what made the character work even if there's some drastic changes, and no two designs feel like they have the same silhouette.
---
I do art!
MAHARI YUWARE GAAIE SABANARE
AMARE DIRAHI JUMAGI GANASHARA
ThunderEgg Yellow Sparx Gems: 1505
#3 Posted: 14:50:02 02/10/2020
hmmm, i haven't really thought about this.

i find kole's style pretty appealing, so i'd want to at least see his concepts for skylanders characters. i think the initial skylanders style is fine, but you bring up a good point that were it to get a reboot, it's likely the artstyle will significantly change.

maybe he could just do redesign of a couple of characters? i'm not sure if a reboot would include all of the skylanders -- meaning maybe only a few get new interpretations. personally, i think riptide could do with some tweaks. he doesn't have a bad design, but something about him doesn't make sense to me. i think high volt could use some extra color here and there to give his design more energy. i'd also want to see humanoid female characters get a more diversified body type. by trap team, i think they sort of course corrected, but most of them otherwise look like they could be the same person in a different costume. i think it's something about the big, round head and tiny bodies.

i'm not sure if kole would think these things need to be changed, because i'm mostly nitpicking, but i think he could provide some interesting new interpretations. his lineless style is a bit of a no-brainer for concept art that will be turned into a 3d model. i'm surprised i haven't see more concept art rendered that way.
---
I AM ETERNAL!
BlueFox Gold Sparx Gems: 2629
#4 Posted: 23:36:25 02/10/2020 | Topic Creator
If anything, it apparently means a new art book, one that is actually available to the public. I'm so down for that.
ThunderEgg Yellow Sparx Gems: 1505
#5 Posted: 23:01:27 03/10/2020
heck yeah. artbooks are just the best.
it's too bad the skylanders artbooks were so obscure. i didn't even know they existed until forum members mentioned snagging some smilie
---
I AM ETERNAL!
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me