darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Imaginators > Who would be okay with Activision only doing the netflix show?
Page 1 of 1
Who would be okay with Activision only doing the netflix show?
Emerald Clouds Green Sparx Gems: 328
#1 Posted: 19:32:07 07/10/2017 | Topic Creator
I for one would welcome it. Not to say I wasn't a fan of the games but I like the show better. Who would be okay with it if they only did the show?
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9988
#2 Posted: 19:37:51 07/10/2017
I'd be okay with games based on the show AND the show. I like it, but there's so little to discuss compared to good game content because of the binge format. Also unlike the games, the show can only run for so long before getting stale, even if the series was in good standing I would be okay with the showrunner's wishes of 5-6 seasons at the most.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#3 Posted: 22:57:39 07/10/2017
I like both the show and the games but they are very different to me and not only for the obvious reasons though I completely uncerstand why they changed the mood and characters for the former.
I'd gladly watch five or six seasons of it as long as the quality is kept fairly high, but it wouldn't replace what the games offered me.

I truly hope its success will help the franchise return to its former glory, but if I had to choose I'd stick to the games.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
spot Yellow Sparx Gems: 1528
#4 Posted: 23:42:14 07/10/2017
Love the show but games for me.
Street50 Gold Sparx Gems: 2060
#5 Posted: 00:03:01 08/10/2017
games for me. I would say I enjoy the show. But to be honest with you I don't care anything at all about the Skylanders lore.
KingMed Gold Sparx Gems: 2456
#6 Posted: 03:55:18 08/10/2017
I like the show a lot more than the games. They should do a reboot it doesn't need to follow academy , but at least have the game developers think of a good story instead of making up random stories that make no sense to the plot just so they can have a new gimmick.
McMurderpaws Yellow Sparx Gems: 1330
#7 Posted: 05:26:47 08/10/2017
I haven't watched season 2 yet, but I wasn't thrilled with season 1. It was one of the worst animated shows in recent years.

If they cancel console game development, then the franchise is dead to me.
#8 Posted: 11:09:12 08/10/2017 | Topic Creator
The main discussion I mean't to make here was sorta misunderstood. If activision stopped making the games, made new skylanders for the show, and have more time put into the show for a annual release, would you be okay with that? Thats what I mean't to ask here. But, you all are bringing up good points. The games are the one true asset that makes Skylanders, well... skylanders. I made the topic because I feel that since theres a year hiatus, something could be wrong. Plus Academy's renewed for a 3rd season, so it kinda worrys me what the fate of the games are. Anyone see my point?
Johnbonne Yellow Sparx Gems: 1216
#9 Posted: 11:54:48 08/10/2017
As much as I'd like more Skylanders games, I don't want their developers getting tired or releasing rubbish for the sake of it. I find Imaginators to be a high note, and if that's where it's got to stop then so be it. If Activision aren't making any more games, then I'm fine with them continuing the show. If the show comes at the cost of the games (and I don't know how that would work), then no.

I hate to sacrifice other people's joy of something for my own, but I'd rather have more games than a TV show that I'm not going to watch. Unless Netflix suddenly adds Open All Hours to its list of shows, then I'll pay their monthly fee to give Academy a go. "Fetch your cloth, G-G-G-Glumshanks!"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 11:55:40 08/10/2017 by Johnbonne
#10 Posted: 12:55:47 08/10/2017
Quote: Emerald Clouds
The main discussion I mean't to make here was sorta misunderstood. If activision stopped making the games, made new skylanders for the show, and have more time put into the show for a annual release, would you be okay with that? Thats what I mean't to ask here. But, you all are bringing up good points. The games are the one true asset that makes Skylanders, well... skylanders. I made the topic because I feel that since theres a year hiatus, something could be wrong. Plus Academy's renewed for a 3rd season, so it kinda worrys me what the fate of the games are. Anyone see my point?

Shows decay a lot faster than game series. These HAVE to come out every year or two, not when they're done, because of contracts and ****. It'll fizzle out far faster, too, with Netflix putting up new shows all the time.
---
#11 Posted: 21:57:23 08/10/2017 | Topic Creator
@Bifrost I got you there. I am here hoping the future games won't suck. Well, guess all there is to do now is see what season 3 has in store next year.
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8226
#12 Posted: 00:04:45 09/10/2017
I mean, I'd be happy with it, but I wouldn't want just the show. The show makes me want this series to live on.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
#13 Posted: 00:44:59 09/10/2017
Quote: HeyitsHotDog
I mean, I'd be happy with it, but I wouldn't want just the show. The show makes me want this series to live on.

Exactly.
When the first season aired right after Imaginators, the show made me want to play with my characters even more: it felt weird yet amazing to use King Pen after his appearance.

Now that Academy is the only new thing left, it's just not the same.
The excitement turned into a bittersweet feeling because the series is amazing but so were the games.
Not to mention that it doesn't follow the same lore as the latters, so we are still stuck to Lost Imaginite Mines in terms of worldbuilding.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5016
#14 Posted: 17:48:41 11/10/2017
i would be totally fine with it, i dont even care for the show at all.
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
#15 Posted: 17:52:50 11/10/2017
Oh yeah, Drek, it totally feels bittersweet. Everyone was joking about Bad Breath being in the game after Imaginators and how he'd be the best joke Skylander, and now we just kinda hope there's any good game coming, with Academy exclusive content or not.

Quote: CountMoneyBone

Yeah, you'd get to brag about how the games died just like you predicted.
---
SkyFan91 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1806
#16 Posted: 18:06:21 11/10/2017
Quote: Bifrost
Oh yeah, Drek, it totally feels bittersweet. Everyone was joking about Bad Breath being in the game after Imaginators and how he'd be the best joke Skylander, and now we just kinda hope there's any good game coming, with Academy exclusive content or not.

Quote: CountMoneyBone

Yeah, you'd get to brag about how the games died just like you predicted.

It's best to just leave him be Bifrost.
McMurderpaws Yellow Sparx Gems: 1330
#17 Posted: 21:39:49 11/10/2017
Quote: SkyFan91

Sorry, Pot, I didn't quite catch that... What color was the Kettle again?
#18 Posted: 22:20:14 11/10/2017
Yup, I'd gladly welcome Bad Breath (would have welcomed him anyway, to be honest) and even reposes and variants if it meant new games and possibly characters.

The show could have worked as an amazing way to slowly reveal and introduce new Skylanders for future entries, maybe even building up to events taking place in both iterations; probably wishful thinking but still.
It is still amazing but with the possibility of the gaming-aspect ending I think it lost a good amount of its magic.

Saddest thing is that it isn't even Eric's or the rest of the staff's fault.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
SkyFan91 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1806
#19 Posted: 22:29:51 11/10/2017
Quote: McMurderpaws
Quote: SkyFan91

Sorry, Pot, I didn't quite catch that... What color was the Kettle again?

Treat others the way you want to be treated I guess? Either way cmon I'm trying to be a little nicer on here at least do the same to me in return smilie
Muffin Man Platinum Sparx Gems: 5348
#20 Posted: 23:45:22 11/10/2017
Quote: Drek95
Quote: HeyitsHotDog

Exactly.
When the first season aired right after Imaginators, the show made me want to play with my characters even more: it felt weird yet amazing to use King Pen after his appearance.

That feeling right there is the whole reason product-based shows like this even exist. The revenue from merchandise far outweighs the revenue from the show itself.

I'll be really surprised if we don't get games and toys (just not necessarily combined togethet) based on Academy, assuming it stays successful.
---
Boop me if you see this.
#21 Posted: 00:37:45 12/10/2017
True, maybe it's just the first time I truly experience this feeling because of how invested I was in the franchise.
Gormiti's animated series was too different from the toys to make me feel like they were connected.

Not sure it would work again in reverse, though.
Academy worked because of the games, it might not be enough to reboot the series, though I would be all for it.
It's indeed a success, at least. smilie
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#22 Posted: 20:03:23 12/10/2017
yeah, i'd be fine with that.

eric seems to care a lot more for the franchise than activision does tbh
Luminous35 Gold Sparx Gems: 2457
#23 Posted: 11:00:51 13/10/2017
As much as I love the games, Imaginators crushed any hope I have for the series.
Eric is doing incredible with Academy so far. Season 1 was developing, but Season 2 is full on angst stuff and it's great.
I can say that I would totally be okay with just the Show, and like Zap said, Eric seems to care more for the franchise than Activision sooo...
---
smilie smilie STARCAST FOR PRESIDENT OF MY SEXUALITY smilie smilie
smilie smilie Professor Jet-Vac? I don’t feel so good. smilie smilie
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me