darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Imaginators > Can Skylanders be played on the New 2DS XL?
Page 1 of 1
Can Skylanders be played on the New 2DS XL?
TrapGiant Blue Sparx Gems: 547
#1 Posted: 17:11:15 16/08/2017 | Topic Creator
Since the portal uses IR? I asked on reddit, but no answers yet
---
"Science is a horizon to search for, not a prize to hold in your hand..."-Smart Waddles
wah543 Gold Sparx Gems: 2787
#2 Posted: 17:25:25 16/08/2017
Yes but not Imaginators, all the other games have 3ds counterparts
#3 Posted: 18:26:37 16/08/2017 | Topic Creator
Yeah, I know. I was asking because I'm not sure if the N2DS has an IR scanner. I figured since the NFC Reader/Writer and Skylanders portals are its pretty much only use, that you guys would know smilie
---
"Science is a horizon to search for, not a prize to hold in your hand..."-Smart Waddles
wah543 Gold Sparx Gems: 2787
#4 Posted: 02:57:40 17/08/2017
It's all the same thing 3ds and 2ds, 2ds just doesn't have a 3d slider thats the only difference
#5 Posted: 14:33:03 17/08/2017 | Topic Creator
Yes, but the 2DSXL is 150$ USD. To achieve that price, Nintendo had to cut some things. Since there is a built-in NFC reader, they may not have added an IR scanner
---
zookinator Platinum Sparx Gems: 5683
#6 Posted: 15:04:22 17/08/2017
The IR scanner is also used for other connections involving other 3DS's, so I doubt Nintendo would remove it unless they want to negate the multiplayer functions between other 3DS'S with certain games.
---
Skylanders Colosseum Clash
A Fanmade Skylanders Boardgame
bisylizzie Emerald Sparx Gems: 3913
#7 Posted: 15:12:01 17/08/2017
Yes, the New 2DS has an IR port - presumably kept to keep compatibility with, say, games that use portals, and other games that use the IR for some functions (i.e. Pokemon)
I believe the IR tech is ~pretty cheap~ anyway, so it's not like they'd save a huge amount by removing it... It's the fact that the 3D screen isn't needed that'd cut the cost by a fair bit (similarly as a result of it being 2D only, they cut the extra camera/sensor that the New 3DS uses for its "Super Stable 3D" - essentially tracks your face/eyes to try and give the best 3D image)

Anyway, it's a little tough to see at a glance, being the black console, but from the attached image, you can see a shiny(ish) capsule shape under the hinge - that's the IR port.
[User Posted Image]
#8 Posted: 18:15:21 17/08/2017 | Topic Creator
Quote: zookinator
The IR scanner is also used for other connections involving other 3DS's, so I doubt Nintendo would remove it unless they want to negate the multiplayer functions between other 3DS'S with certain games.

Hm. Interesting. I always thought it was some weird signal, something totally different.

Quote: bisylizzie
Yes, the New 2DS has an IR port - presumably kept to keep compatibility with, say, games that use portals, and other games that use the IR for some functions (i.e. Pokemon)
I believe the IR tech is ~pretty cheap~ anyway, so it's not like they'd save a huge amount by removing it... It's the fact that the 3D screen isn't needed that'd cut the cost by a fair bit (similarly as a result of it being 2D only, they cut the extra camera/sensor that the New 3DS uses for its "Super Stable 3D" - essentially tracks your face/eyes to try and give the best 3D image)

Anyway, it's a little tough to see at a glance, being the black console, but from the attached image, you can see a shiny(ish) capsule shape under the hinge - that's the IR port.
[User Posted Image]

Thank you so much! I've been looking this past week to no avail. smilie
---
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me