First | Previous | Page 3 of 4 | Last
1 2 3 4
What went wrong with Skylanders?
emeraldzoroark Emerald Sparx Gems: 3477
#101 Posted: 17:32:13 17/12/2017
Bad story, but it was still fun.
---
I’ve had this avatar for a year and a half at this point, I’m not changing it now
McMurderpaws Yellow Sparx Gems: 1320
#102 Posted: 17:47:41 17/12/2017
Magic items were always next-to-pointless, and they were equally useless in SuperChargers--only good for money in a game where it was ridiculously easy to come by anyway. It's just that Imaginators made the cash infusion a one-time thing rather than every time you visit the hub.
SkyFan91 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1790
#103 Posted: 19:35:00 17/12/2017
Quote: McMurderpaws
Magic items were always next-to-pointless, and they were equally useless in SuperChargers--only good for money in a game where it was ridiculously easy to come by anyway. It's just that Imaginators made the cash infusion a one-time thing rather than every time you visit the hub.



And that sucks. One and done feels way more useless then any other game. Even though superchargers changed it at least they gave you money every day. Imaginators....nothing.
Drawdler Emerald Sparx Gems: 3133
#104 Posted: 21:22:25 17/12/2017
Quote: SkyFan91
I'm surprised no one talked about how terrible imaginators was. My god that story was horrendous....


"Story in a game is like a story in a porn movie. It's expected to be there, but it's not that important.”
―John Carmack

I know this quote is quite old, but honestly... It's still true to a lot of people. You can't say the entire game is terrible because the story sucks. And frankly, SC's story is worse than people give it credit for and muddles up lore and suffers from poor pacing and some really dumb atmosphere-breaking moments. I'm stunned I never see them discussed. I don't think the story is bad, but really stunned people say it's amazing or by far the best.

To get back on topic: nowadays I don't think Skylanders was "ruined" by one point. My ranking of the games is SI > SA > SF > TT > Giants > Big Rigs > SC, so you can see I don't think it just went downhill after some game. If I had to say where I think it started going downhill, like as in if you paid me to pick a point, I would say TT (as I feel it and especially SC were designed too heavily around their gimmick, even if I like TT's)... But then my love for SI is an anomaly. I feel like the game itself finally started heading in a direction I like again with SI, plot aside, but now it's over for me anyway because even if there is another game I don't expect it to continue going in that direction and any game just isn't worth this price tag for me anymore.

But seriously, don't deny that SC was the darkest age. Regardless of what you think about the game, the fandom was at its worst then out of any of the games overall, many people hated it (while SI was at least initially well recieved), and I would say it was a nail in the coffin. There's been complaining during every age but the worst parts of the fandom just shone during SC and activity took a nosedive. It was already waning during TT- and I'm going to guess that's because TT didn't recapture the entire crowd that was disappointed in SF as well as many people feeling it had too much to collect and a lot of people just wanted to finish during that game for various reasons- but I think SC actively drove away people and the only new adopters it attracted are people who wanted to collect Skymiibo or play as them. Not a feature that keeps you in the game.
And I should know something about the fandom activity since I used to be a moderator on a Skylanders fansite. We wouldn't even get random comments on old articles or even anyone asking what happened with our lack of activity and news during SC. None of us on the site cared about doing that news. Another point I remember is that the Skylanders Subreddit pretty much just became people trying to trade off and sell figurines and there were less posts about news between that. We also now have Academy which a lot of people like and that keeps the fandom from being at least complete **** these days (I suppose there were comics during SC, but a lot fewer people read them).

Regardless, it's sad to see the end of my time in the fandom still has similar feeling to old arguments and the feeling of a lot of people trying to force their opinions... But alas, that includes myself. I wish I could speak more open-mindedly here, but I feel the fandom nowadays does not appreciate that or the critical discussion I remember joining in SF and many people are already set on what games they like and have heavily clashing opinions and just scoff at others. Again, includes myself. I guess I just wish that the fandom could have ended more maturely, but in retrospect, I never should have expected that.

TL ; DR - imo, the games didn't suddenly nosedive at some point, but the fandom did from TT-onwards. Critical discussions before then, while you would get users insistent on their opinions, generally were more open than TT-onwards where it feels a lot more people started to "pick sides" (something that was a thing even since Giants, with people arguing the first game was better and Giants was underwhelming, but that particularly started hurting discussions during TT). That's my final word on the subject.
Edited 7 times - Last edited at 22:04:04 17/12/2017 by Drawdler
King-Pen Krazy Yellow Sparx Gems: 1907
#105 Posted: 22:07:12 17/12/2017
Quote: Drawdler
Quote: SkyFan91
I'm surprised no one talked about how terrible imaginators was. My god that story was horrendous....


"Story in a game is like a story in a porn movie. It's expected to be there, but it's not that important.”
―John Carmack

I know this quote is quite old, but honestly... It's still true to a lot of people. You can't say the entire game is terrible because the story sucks. And frankly, SC's story is worse than people give it credit for and muddles up lore and suffers from poor pacing and some really dumb atmosphere-breaking moments. I'm stunned I never see them discussed. I don't think the story is bad, but really stunned people say it's amazing or by far the best.

To get back on topic: nowadays I don't think Skylanders was "ruined" by one point. My ranking of the games is SI > SA > SF > TT > Giants > Big Rigs > SC, so you can see I don't think it just went downhill after some game. If I had to say where I think it started going downhill, like as in if you paid me to pick a point, I would say TT (as I feel it and especially SC were designed too heavily around their gimmick, even if I like TT's)... But then my love for SI is an anomaly. I feel like the game itself finally started heading in a direction I like again with SI, plot aside, but now it's over for me anyway because even if there is another game I don't expect it to continue going in that direction and any game just isn't worth this price tag for me anymore.

But seriously, don't deny that SC was the darkest age. Regardless of what you think about the game, the fandom was at its worst then out of any of the games overall, many people hated it (while SI was at least initially well recieved), and I would say it was a nail in the coffin. There's been complaining during every age but the worst parts of the fandom just shone during SC and activity took a nosedive. It was already waning during TT- and I'm going to guess that's because TT didn't recapture the entire crowd that was disappointed in SF as well as many people feeling it had too much to collect and a lot of people just wanted to finish during that game for various reasons- but I think SC actively drove away people and the only new adopters it attracted are people who wanted to collect Skymiibo or play as them. Not a feature that keeps you in the game.
And I should know something about the fandom activity since I used to be a moderator on a Skylanders fansite. We wouldn't even get random comments on old articles or even anyone asking what happened with our lack of activity and news during SC. None of us on the site cared about doing that news. Another point I remember is that the Skylanders Subreddit pretty much just became people trying to trade off and sell figurines and there were less posts about news between that. We also now have Academy which a lot of people like and that keeps the fandom from being at least complete **** these days (I suppose there were comics during SC, but a lot fewer people read them).

Regardless, it's sad to see the end of my time in the fandom still has similar feeling to old arguments and the feeling of a lot of people trying to force their opinions... But alas, that includes myself. I wish I could speak more open-mindedly here, but I feel the fandom nowadays does not appreciate that or the critical discussion I remember joining in SF and many people are already set on what games they like and have heavily clashing opinions and just scoff at others. Again, includes myself. I guess I just wish that the fandom could have ended more maturely, but in retrospect, I never should have expected that.

TL ; DR - imo, the games didn't suddenly nosedive at some point, but the fandom did from TT-onwards. Critical discussions before then, while you would get users insistent on their opinions, generally were more open than TT-onwards where it feels a lot more people started to "pick sides" (something that was a thing even since Giants, with people arguing the first game was better and Giants was underwhelming, but that particularly started hurting discussions during TT). That's my final word on the subject.



Oh my god,

Where did you get that quote
---
Rise and Shine Ursine
McMurderpaws Yellow Sparx Gems: 1320
#106 Posted: 05:10:49 18/12/2017
More like "Oh my god,

Why did I quote the whole thing" smilie
Kevin16 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4340
#107 Posted: 02:38:29 19/12/2017
And the level design in Imaginator kinda sucked, not saying all levels were horrible because there were a few good ones.
AmbushFan Blue Sparx Gems: 919
#108 Posted: 03:07:21 19/12/2017
Come to think of it, the main reason Imaginators failed was probably because they didn't repose Gill Grunt. We need to realize this.
---
No fate. Only the power of will.
KingMed Gold Sparx Gems: 2456
#109 Posted: 05:16:20 19/12/2017
Quote: AmbushFan
Come to think of it, the main reason Imaginators failed was probably because they didn't repose Gill Grunt. We need to realize this.



And Super Chargers did bad because Gill grunt wasn’t in the starter pack
Muffin Man Emerald Sparx Gems: 3872
#110 Posted: 10:27:49 19/12/2017
Actually it's because they gave Gill Grunt a new design and moveset. As it's written in the sacred scriptures:

The further thou movest from the One True Grunt, the less of thine Lord Grunt's blessing thou shalt receive..
---
whoever reads this shall succumb to the ways of the Muffin
Drawdler Emerald Sparx Gems: 3133
#111 Posted: 12:29:58 19/12/2017
Quote: Kevin16
And the level design in Imaginator kinda sucked, not saying all levels were horrible because there were a few good ones.


How so? I thought it was some of the better level design in the series. Less fat and empty space without overly feeling like you're just walking forward due to nice environmental layouts. Also not lacking in "quiet moments" as it has many segments where it keeps you moving forward, just with relatively cool stuff like rail grinding, and the minigames don't overstay their welcome (except... The sucking minigame in Fizzland, what was even the point, that's actually one of the levels in this game I don't like that has more fat than meat) or reappear without too often. To be fair there aren't that many clever puzzles and there could have been more hidden segments, but I find the SI levels fun to replay for ages due to having less fat than the other games, and if I had to go with clever puzzles or replayability I'd pick the latter. smilie
In my opinion Giants feels as though it has opposite level design. Lots of smart puzzles, but dear god all the minigames and block puzzles. The thing about puzzles is they're only satisfying to solve once, and the next time you see them you're going through the motions, so they aren't fun to replay. And Giants is worse with this offense because so many of the puzzles take almost as long or longer than actual fighting segments. And then there are other parts in Skylanders games where the "puzzles" are painfully obvious and boring even on your first run (ALL the games have this at some point, and often not for the ideal reason, which would be to first introduce a puzzle mechanic before ramping it up). (Also, not trying to attack Giants here and I actually do get why so many people love it unlike a certain other entry and I like it myself, it's just always the example that pops to mind when I think of games with too many puzzles.)
Of course there are ways to do puzzles that make them more active and replayable (generally ones with arcade elements, though), or tie in that kind of thinking with fighting, but Skylanders did not do it often (and then you have the lock puzzles in Superchargers that are too active and not thought-based enough, imo; neither fun to play nor solve and fail as breather moments...).
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 12:38:57 19/12/2017 by Drawdler
EmperorKaos Emerald Sparx Gems: 3915
#112 Posted: 00:02:57 23/12/2017
IMO senseis and trap masters (at least they bother giving them "special" weapons) are the same as the giants but with bonus damage, there is realy nothing special about them.
Okaps Platinum Sparx Gems: 6245
#113 Posted: 08:42:51 25/12/2017
SF - developer trust lost from poor-quality ports (Beenox), unbearably long loading times and almost-unskippable dialog made replay a drag
TT - trap masters don't really "do" anything unique in comparison to past "premium" characters, the yawn trap "fiasco", removal of battle mode
SC - core gameplay constantly set aside for vehicle segments (like SF, faults overshadowed gameplay improvements), made variants in support of fraudulent "charity"
IG - no Gill Grunt, if you never noticed the power creep idk how to help you
---
#all Spyros are valid
Kevin16 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4340
#114 Posted: 11:40:25 06/01/2018
But yea, the true reason is that Skylanders just got old, expensive as hell and the overal quality of the games got lower and lower.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 11:40:39 06/01/2018 by Kevin16
EmperorKaos Emerald Sparx Gems: 3915
#115 Posted: 17:22:12 06/01/2018
Quote: Okaps
SF - developer trust lost from poor-quality ports (Beenox), unbearably long loading times and almost-unskippable dialog made replay a drag
TT - trap masters don't really "do" anything unique in comparison to past "premium" characters, the yawn trap "fiasco", removal of battle mode
SC - core gameplay constantly set aside for vehicle segments (like SF, faults overshadowed gameplay improvements), made variants in support of fraudulent "charity"
IG - no Gill Grunt, if you never noticed the power creep idk how to help you


you know swap force loading times was probably to hide how short the game was
CountMoneyBone Emerald Sparx Gems: 3457
#116 Posted: 13:11:51 08/01/2018
Quote: Kevin16
But yea, the true reason is that Skylanders just got old, expensive as hell and the overal quality of the games got lower and lower.


exactly!

Quote: EmperorKaos
Quote: Okaps
SF - developer trust lost from poor-quality ports (Beenox), unbearably long loading times and almost-unskippable dialog made replay a drag
TT - trap masters don't really "do" anything unique in comparison to past "premium" characters, the yawn trap "fiasco", removal of battle mode
SC - core gameplay constantly set aside for vehicle segments (like SF, faults overshadowed gameplay improvements), made variants in support of fraudulent "charity"
IG - no Gill Grunt, if you never noticed the power creep idk how to help you


you know swap force loading times was probably to hide how short the game was


LOL!!!
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:44:51 08/01/2018 by Dahvoo
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#117 Posted: 16:44:43 08/01/2018
>oversaturation of the TTL franchise with DI and LD
>DI's cancellation making people fear that SL would do the same, thus turning off potential buyers for imaginators
>releasing the abomination that was superchargers after two stellar games, turning off potential buyers and fans for imaginators
>people just getting tired of microtransactions in general
>the original fans who got SSA growing out of it

that's all i can think of.
SkyFan91 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1790
#118 Posted: 16:47:52 08/01/2018
Quote: ZapNorris
>oversaturation of the TTL franchise with DI and LD
>DI's cancellation making people fear that SL would do the same, thus turning off potential buyers for imaginators
>releasing the abomination that was superchargers after two stellar games, turning off potential buyers and fans for imaginators
>people just getting tired of microtransactions in general
>the original fans who got SSA growing out of it

that's all i can think of.


Superchargers wasn't the abomination. Imaginators takes that role ever so perfectly
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#119 Posted: 16:53:18 08/01/2018
i've proven multiple times that superchargers is the worst of the six games regarding gameplay, mechanics, product distribution, and plot.

you're entitled to your own opinion, matt-just not your own facts.
emeraldzoroark Emerald Sparx Gems: 3477
#120 Posted: 18:49:45 08/01/2018
Quote: ZapNorris
i've proven multiple times that superchargers is the worst of the six games regarding gameplay, mechanics, product distribution, and plot.

you're entitled to your own opinion, matt-just not your own facts.



While I disagree about the plot (and I guess gameplay/mechanics? eh...) the distribution was god awful.
  • Remember the disaster that was amiiblanders? Sure, fun characters to play as and all, but you had to buy an entire starter pack for one of them.
  • Also, they didn’t tell us about the amiibo/vehicle packs before people went out and bought multiple starter packs.
  • I don’t know about you, but in SSC, I had to buy multiple characters online. Fiesta was impossible to find, Spitfire wasn’t distributed here (a middle finger to Nintendo owners) and the Land Racing Pack was also nowhere to be found

  • Not to mention the prices. Where I live, we had to pay €20 per standard figure or vehicle.

    But long story short, stop arguing and enjoy the games you like, I don’t really care.
    ---
    I’ve had this avatar for a year and a half at this point, I’m not changing it now
    Bifrost Platinum Sparx Gems: 7487
    #121 Posted: 18:54:43 08/01/2018
    Don't forget getting the starter packs meant you were stuck with 3+ Stealth Elfs that are pretty useless compared to the original, so actually announcing double packs meant you'd have less junk to clutter the shelves that can't be resold.
    ---
    I do art!
    MAHARI YUWARE GAAIE SABANARE
    AMARE DIRAHI JUMAGI GANASHARA
    Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:55:32 08/01/2018 by Bifrost
    SkyFan91 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1790
    #122 Posted: 19:02:16 08/01/2018
    Quote: ZapNorris
    i've proven multiple times that superchargers is the worst of the six games regarding gameplay, mechanics, product distribution, and plot.

    you're entitled to your own opinion, matt-just not your own facts.



    Sure sure the game that has the best plot in the series (and was the closest to having dark moments) is totally the worst and the embarrassment of a plot known as imaginators is toootally better /s
    ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
    #123 Posted: 19:10:22 08/01/2018
    i'd rather have a game with an average plot and good gameplay mechanics than a game with good plot and god-awful vehicle zone gameplay.
    SkyFan91 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1790
    #124 Posted: 19:12:02 08/01/2018
    Quote: ZapNorris
    i'd rather have a game with an average plot and good gameplay mechanics than a game with good plot and god-awful vehicle zone gameplay.



    Then why mention the plot of Superchargers was a problem or was bad earlier?
    ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
    #125 Posted: 19:13:24 08/01/2018
    Quote: SkyFan91
    Quote: ZapNorris
    i'd rather have a game with an average plot and good gameplay mechanics than a game with good plot and god-awful vehicle zone gameplay.



    Then why mention the plot of Superchargers was a problem or was bad earlier?


    it had it's good moments, but the glumshanks arc and the overall edgyness killed it.
    King-Pen Krazy Yellow Sparx Gems: 1907
    #126 Posted: 21:00:23 08/01/2018
    Quote: SkyFan91
    Quote: ZapNorris
    i've proven multiple times that superchargers is the worst of the six games regarding gameplay, mechanics, product distribution, and plot.

    you're entitled to your own opinion, matt-just not your own facts.



    Sure sure the game that has the best plot in the series (and was the closest to having dark moments) is totally the worst and the embarrassment of a plot known as imaginators is toootally better /s



    Translation:You're opinion is different than mine, so suck it
    ---
    Rise and Shine Ursine
    Chompy-King257 Gold Sparx Gems: 2912
    #127 Posted: 21:01:54 08/01/2018
    Quote: King-Pen Krazy
    Quote: SkyFan91
    Quote: ZapNorris
    i've proven multiple times that superchargers is the worst of the six games regarding gameplay, mechanics, product distribution, and plot.

    you're entitled to your own opinion, matt-just not your own facts.



    Sure sure the game that has the best plot in the series (and was the closest to having dark moments) is totally the worst and the embarrassment of a plot known as imaginators is toootally better /s



    Translation:You're opinion is different than mine, so suck it


    Ah, another one for the guestbook!
    ---
    sometimes that japanese future funk be hittin tho...
    kaosmumishot Emerald Sparx Gems: 3271
    #128 Posted: 00:34:59 09/01/2018
    Having a strong vehicle focused game in Skylanders was a stupid idea and moved too far away from what the series had been about. It was a stupid idea made worse by how badly it was handled.

    But I don't put the demise of the franchise down to that ridiculous brain fart. Instead I suggest it was the size of the roster vs the amount of content. There were so many characters and so few 'adventures' that they could be used in. As good as some of the early games were it became very repetitive very quickly. I believe it was Take Your Lemons under his previous profile who a few years ago suggested random ambush generators in games. Something as simple as that would have added a lot more interest and made the game more interesting to play through again. But as it stands you have an enormous number of characters and only a handful of chapters they can be played in.

    Of course Activision could rightly argue that they were making hay while the sun was shining with DI and LD eating into their market, and they're probably justified in arguing that. But to me that was always the problem with this series. Trap Team being the worst in that regard. By the time they got to SC they had clearly given up trying to hide their grab for cash by producing less actual characters but making so many variant versions of them.

    Shame because Imaginators is such a great game. It's a shame that it never sold enough copies to warrant future patches and expansion packs.
    AmbushFan Blue Sparx Gems: 919
    #129 Posted: 00:46:45 09/01/2018
    I find it ironic that having racing as a gimmick was wanted for so long, but when we finally got it, we hated it. I can understand why though. Because when people said they wanted racing, I doubt what they meant was this. It was so terribly implemented compared to what many of us (presumably) hoped for - instead, all our Skylanders became useless for half the game, the gimmick toys costed as much as a regular Skylander (which themselves were more expensive than before with no good reason for it), vehicle combat sections, etc..

    There were so many better ways it could have been done. Like, for example, just make racing a side mode instead of being forced into almost every level. And not making them cost as much as a regular Skylander.
    ---
    No fate. Only the power of will.
    kaosmumishot Emerald Sparx Gems: 3271
    #130 Posted: 02:26:09 09/01/2018
    Quote: AmbushFan
    I find it ironic that having racing as a gimmick was wanted for so long, but when we finally got it, we hated it. I can understand why though. Because when people said they wanted racing, I doubt what they meant was this. It was so terribly implemented compared to what many of us (presumably) hoped for - instead, all our Skylanders became useless for half the game, the gimmick toys costed as much as a regular Skylander (which themselves were more expensive than before with no good reason for it), vehicle combat sections, etc..

    There were so many better ways it could have been done. Like, for example, just make racing a side mode instead of being forced into almost every level. And not making them cost as much as a regular Skylander.


    Just so we're clear I always hated the idea, never wanted any sort of racing, wanted Skylanders to remain a dungeon crawler etc, etc. But you make some good points about how poorly it was executed.
    AmbushFan Blue Sparx Gems: 919
    #131 Posted: 02:57:39 09/01/2018
    I never wanted racing either, but I can see why others did. Racing is a pretty big genre, especially for spin-offs and sidegames, so it seemed like a good choice to allow Skylanders to deviate from the regular norm of gimmicklanders unlocking special gates and not much else.

    However, it didn't go anywhere near as well as it potentially could have, deviating way too much from the norm in this case. It focused too much on the vehicles rather than making them (mostly) optional like the Trap Masters and Giants. As I said, it's a pretty big genre for spin-offs and sidegames - so maybe that's what they should have done instead. Jusy keep it at Racing, and make the vehicle's role smaller in the main version.

    And, of course, my other main complaint. Vehicles should not cost as much as a gimmicklander. Heck, even when they were giving Superchargers/Vehicles for free (kind of, part of an offer or something) at my local GAME, I still got the figures instead of the vehicles. At least High Volt didn't become totally useless after his debut.
    ---
    No fate. Only the power of will.
    Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4741
    #132 Posted: 00:07:22 10/01/2018
    Regarding vehicles, I absolutely agree about them working better with spin-offs and sidegames.

    Looking at famous and less famous “karting” spin-offs, such as Mario Kart or LittleBigPlanet Karting, it immediately becomes clear that they revolve around that concept because they aren’t main titles.
    I purposedly choose those examples because both series aren’t abstracted from the idea of vehicles: the latter encourages all forms of creativity and the former sure has moments were a “vehicle” or racing of some kind is required.

    But they are exactly that; moments, different mechanics which offer a more varied gameplay.
    They are not the core of the experience.
    Even the original Spyro games had vehicles here and there, and even then they weren’t exactly the best part of the run.

    Guess SuperChargers compares better to Nuts and Bolts (though I’m not entirely sure if was a main Banjo-Kazooie title).

    If only they offered us vast open areas where we could use our favorite vehicle freely but were’t forced to if we preferred to keep using the Skylander.
    And if only the Skylanders, and I mean all of them, actually still mattered while driving.
    What a blast it could have been...
    ---
    ”Gulp, lunch time!”
    Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
    Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:09:00 10/01/2018 by Drek95
    kaosmumishot Emerald Sparx Gems: 3271
    #133 Posted: 00:28:43 10/01/2018
    Yes as side games they would have made more sense. It is a shame too, because if you take out the stupid vehicles and compulsory vehicle sections SC was actually a really good story with some really clever chapter designs. It could have been such a sensational game.
    AmbushFan Blue Sparx Gems: 919
    #134 Posted: 00:38:05 10/01/2018
    Vault of The Ancients was awesome. Also the only time when I found the vehicle sections tolerable, I think they were actually used pretty well here.
    ---
    No fate. Only the power of will.
    CountMoneyBone Emerald Sparx Gems: 3457
    #135 Posted: 13:12:11 11/01/2018
    instead of looking at the closure of skylanders in an negative way, you could also look at it as positive. it was good it ended when it ended... after the star wars loot boxes scandal we can see clearly what direction the skylanders game would have ended up if it was still going on today. it already had to much figures as dlc and to little content, then the microtransactions was added after the game supercharged was released. it continues with chests for skins and also sold as digital as microtransactions. coming next is pretty clear, loot boxes..

    then you have..

    game characters sold as physical dlc
    game level sold as physical dlc
    chest sold as skin for characters as physical dlc
    chest sold as skin for characters as digital

    then there was also mobile version of trap team and superchargers where they sold digital characters etc...

    greed pretty much killed this game, no doubt and had it continued it would have become even worse.
    ---
    Ha! HA, sage ich.
    emeraldzoroark Emerald Sparx Gems: 3477
    #136 Posted: 19:10:35 11/01/2018
    Quote: CountMoneyBone
    instead of looking at the closure of skylanders in an negative way, you could also look at it as positive. it was good it ended when it ended... after the star wars loot boxes scandal we can see clearly what direction the skylanders game would have ended up if it was still going on today. it already had to much figures as dlc and to little content, then the microtransactions was added after the game supercharged was released. it continues with chests for skins and also sold as digital as microtransactions. coming next is pretty clear, loot boxes..

    then you have..

    game characters sold as physical dlc
    game level sold as physical dlc
    chest sold as skin for characters as physical dlc
    chest sold as skin for characters as digital

    then there was also mobile version of trap team and superchargers where they sold digital characters etc...

    greed pretty much killed this game, no doubt and had it continued it would have become even worse.



    But we have lootboxes.
    [User Posted Image]
    ---
    I’ve had this avatar for a year and a half at this point, I’m not changing it now
    Muffin Man Emerald Sparx Gems: 3872
    #137 Posted: 00:34:27 12/01/2018
    But you can unlock everything in that chest just by playing the game regularly, so they are more of a convenience than a necessity. The reason loot boxes are so bad is because they prey on gambling addiction by offering exclusive content that you can only aquire by paying for a small random chance of aquiring that content.
    ---
    whoever reads this shall succumb to the ways of the Muffin
    ChillStealthElf Yellow Sparx Gems: 1864
    #138 Posted: 06:50:04 12/01/2018
    Quote: Drek95


    Guess SuperChargers compares better to Nuts and Bolts (though I’m not entirely sure if was a main Banjo-Kazooie title).

    If only they offered us vast open areas where we could use our favorite vehicle freely but were’t forced to if we preferred to keep using the Skylander.
    And if only the Skylanders, and I mean all of them, actually still mattered while driving.
    What a blast it could have been...



    I find it a bit insulting to compare Superchargers to Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts...at least Superchargers still mostly felt like a Skylanders game ( plus, going of your comments about the concept of vehicles working best as a spin-off game I have to say that the actual Racing game on 3DS is pretty freaking good ), Nuts & Bolts is just utter trash that didn't feel like Banjo-Kazooie in the slightest. Sure it had notes & Jiggies & some of the franchise's core characters but they changed most if not all of them in dumb ways ( why the heck did they turn Humba Wumba from a hot & awesome Native American shaman into a weird almost loli characiture of her former self? ) and focused entirely on the terrible vehicle building & driving. In fact, while some of the vehicle sections in Superchargers were irritating I still mostly enjoyed them ( just not the constant forced use of a vehicle on the pad at all times, or the vehicle boss fights outside the demo derby stage ). I'd love to see a new game make better use of them for some fun missions rather than just shoehorning in the lackluster racing mode from Superchargers & Imaginators.
    Edited 1 time - Last edited at 06:50:38 12/01/2018 by ChillStealthElf
    Bifrost Platinum Sparx Gems: 7487
    #139 Posted: 11:02:18 12/01/2018
    Yeah, Nuts and Bolts was an alright game while not being a good BK game. SC feels more like it had a good hack-and-slash trapped inside a vehicle game, considering some of the great setpieces it had.
    ---
    I do art!
    MAHARI YUWARE GAAIE SABANARE
    AMARE DIRAHI JUMAGI GANASHARA
    Drawdler Emerald Sparx Gems: 3133
    #140 Posted: 00:34:32 13/01/2018
    The paid chests don't even exist in the Switch version haha.

    But those are different from most because frankly, buying them is actually a lot worse value than just beating a level or something for the parts. The levels are fast and you can get a lot of loot quickly with them as well as levelling characters or something at the same time. It's the opposite of a lot of games with it that feel built around the paid lootboxes to feel any sense of progression and mind you, it's not a good thing it's there heymaybeitsevenabadthing:^], but to be honest I kept forgetting they existed.

    SC's vehicle mods thing they added in an update was a lot worse because getting anything was a pain and that feature doesn't even work now because it was tied to the servers. I told you guys that would happen, and it's amazing how fast it has.
    Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:49:57 13/01/2018 by Drawdler
    Muffin Man Emerald Sparx Gems: 3872
    #141 Posted: 05:44:18 14/01/2018
    Wait, the Superchargers servers were shut down already? Damn, that was fast.
    ---
    whoever reads this shall succumb to the ways of the Muffin
    EmperorKaos Emerald Sparx Gems: 3915
    #142 Posted: 21:22:23 22/01/2018
    well at least they did 1 thing right in this game, skylanders no longer walk like snails
    Dalton977622 Blue Sparx Gems: 804
    #143 Posted: 08:16:22 23/01/2018
    Well the problem with the series in general in my eyes is just the focus of the balance between the story, the gameplay and the gimmick.

    Skylanders SWAP Force have a different developer and while the art style of the game looks completely different (but only in a few areas) Skylanders still have the same formula and also added a few things that are essential to every game like Jumping and the Purpose of Giant characters. It also have it's flaws too with the casuals since there are achievements that need the acquirements of the entire set of SSA and SG and there are areas that are locked behind ability gates that only Swap Force characters can go in. But even with those, this is not a terrible game. Infact, it's in the same tier as the next one.

    Skylanders Trap Team is sort of the start of the fatigue for casual players because they've been shown with paywalls and been boycotted from the Light and Dark Element content until the player gets one of the Skylander, Trap or Adventure pack of those elements (Not from Superchargers and Imaginators). I never find this game terrible for some people and even the fans but I can see why Trap Team didn't get so much of it's players that just want to play the game for the story (and it's also kind of the motivated one in my opinion). There is also that one thing that fans of the franchise missed and that would be the use of old skylanders on gates and battle mode so I can understand why this game has little bit of a sales decline but it's still a great game regardless of it's flaws and paywalls.

    However Skylanders Superchargers seems to be every panned this one down for being as a Generic Kart Racer. Even though they go for the Apocalyptic theme of a giant machine eats the entirety of Skylands in the story that could be a great improve, the one thing this game struggles is the execution of the gimmick and the game play balance. Most of the bosses are all vehicles exclusive because the balance between the classic plat former of Skylanders and the racing aspects goes down to 50/50 which causes many problems with some fans thinking this one is the worst of the series. For me, this is not the case for anyone who like racing games. I've played them myself and seeing Skylanders taking on a similar path is kind of interesting. However it does lack of anything special that can help out the gameplay of Skylanders Superchargers. It's not great as Trap Team nor it is worst than the next but it is possibly the start of it's fall.

    Skylanders Imaginators even though they've executed the gimmick better (for better or for worst), the story of the game is lackluster which is ashamed since their strongest points in the series is the gimmick and the story and Trap Team imo is the only game that put the gimmick as part of the story. Imaginators to many people seemed to be as a Character Creation game but unlike Superchargers, they do tend to have fun making it. However this game can be prove to be the worst than Trap Team by their own Paywalls. In the game, there's only 25 levels. That's cool right? but take 15 of them, put 5 of them as Adventure Packs and make the rest of the 10 only for ELEMENTAL SENSAIS TO UNLOCK IT. since they already made old Skylanders useless since the enemies are broken to be destroyed by Sensais and Imaginators, the paywalls are especially unacceptable and it can weighed down the casuals and ESPECIALLY the fans.
    Bolt Hunter Gems: 6062
    #144 Posted: 21:44:47 27/01/2018
    I don't know about other families, but the reason we stopped buying the games was because of the price. We only got up to Giants until we stopped because we just didn't want to pay for the games + all the figures you need. I personally got tired of the games after Giants because I just found them boring and tedious, but my family won't buy the games for my little siblings anymore soley because of the cost. I think it scares a lot of parents away because ultimately they are the ones who make the decision whether or not to buy the games, not the kids, and they don't want to be spending thousands on a game series that comes out every year (or used to).
    Speaking of, I'm not too involved in the Skylanders side of the fandom so I have no idea, but are we going to be getting another game at all?
    ---
    you don't know me. i break things
    I draw stuff.
    ChillStealthElf Yellow Sparx Gems: 1864
    #145 Posted: 06:53:26 28/01/2018
    Quote: Bolt
    I don't know about other families, but the reason we stopped buying the games was because of the price. We only got up to Giants until we stopped because we just didn't want to pay for the games + all the figures you need. I personally got tired of the games after Giants because I just found them boring and tedious, but my family won't buy the games for my little siblings anymore soley because of the cost. I think it scares a lot of parents away because ultimately they are the ones who make the decision whether or not to buy the games, not the kids, and they don't want to be spending thousands on a game series that comes out every year (or used to).
    Speaking of, I'm not too involved in the Skylanders side of the fandom so I have no idea, but are we going to be getting another game at all?



    yeah, that's why the whole annualization aspect of it was a bad idea from the get-go. Activision assumed everyone into it would have a crapload of money to get the game ( or games if you get multiple editions or even just both a console version & the 3DS game ) plus 20+ new toys every year...nevermind the difficulty many of us have had simply FINDING the toys...
    CountMoneyBone Emerald Sparx Gems: 3457
    #146 Posted: 11:48:07 29/01/2018
    Quote: ChillStealthElf
    Quote: Bolt
    I don't know about other families, but the reason we stopped buying the games was because of the price. We only got up to Giants until we stopped because we just didn't want to pay for the games + all the figures you need. I personally got tired of the games after Giants because I just found them boring and tedious, but my family won't buy the games for my little siblings anymore soley because of the cost. I think it scares a lot of parents away because ultimately they are the ones who make the decision whether or not to buy the games, not the kids, and they don't want to be spending thousands on a game series that comes out every year (or used to).
    Speaking of, I'm not too involved in the Skylanders side of the fandom so I have no idea, but are we going to be getting another game at all?



    yeah, that's why the whole annualization aspect of it was a bad idea from the get-go. Activision assumed everyone into it would have a crapload of money to get the game ( or games if you get multiple editions or even just both a console version & the 3DS game ) plus 20+ new toys every year...nevermind the difficulty many of us have had simply FINDING the toys...



    but then again they have no problem using crapload on microtransaction for the kiddos on the ipads smurf berry games. so activision said to them self, lets give them something real, like figures for a game... when it comes to it, it looks like people are more at ease throwing away their money on microtransactions. because they dont have to look at a closet full of figurines to remind them of their money thrown away. so as long they dont have to be reminded of how much money they use, its easier to spend a crapload of money. but with that said, have you heard guys, toy ur us is shutting down. so even if skylanders survived the 7th game it would have been doomed anyway...
    ---
    Ha! HA, sage ich.
    Edited 1 time - Last edited at 11:49:26 29/01/2018 by CountMoneyBone
    Muffin Man Emerald Sparx Gems: 3872
    #147 Posted: 13:25:27 29/01/2018
    I thought Toysrus had gotten bailed out by someone? Are they still shutting down after all? That sucks.
    ---
    whoever reads this shall succumb to the ways of the Muffin
    ViDeOmAnCiNi Platinum Sparx Gems: 5530
    #148 Posted: 14:08:10 29/01/2018
    Quote: Muffin Man
    I thought Toysrus had gotten bailed out by someone? Are they still shutting down after all? That sucks.



    They are closing 180 stores. Not all of them. Watch for store closing sales!
    ---
    ♫ "Many dreams come true and some have silver linings, I live for my dream and a pocketful of gold" ♫

    FiUSAwS:G! http://bit.ly/R3L1lb
    Xjmmjbn Blue Sparx Gems: 950
    #149 Posted: 19:10:13 29/01/2018
    Quote: ViDeOmAnCiNi
    Watch for store closing sales!

    That's ironic, considering how they normally have excessively high prices. I once did not buy a LEGO set there because it was priced 17% higher than MSRP.
    ---
    Call me X, if you will. I've given you all you need to know to find out my true name, but then why am I using a pseudonym?
    ViDeOmAnCiNi Platinum Sparx Gems: 5530
    #150 Posted: 12:55:54 30/01/2018
    Quote: Xjmmjbn
    Quote: ViDeOmAnCiNi
    Watch for store closing sales!

    That's ironic, considering how they normally have excessively high prices. I once did not buy a LEGO set there because it was priced 17% higher than MSRP.



    Agreed. Probably why Amazon and Walmart/Target are killing it with lower prices. TRU just did not get it and you cannot live on high priced "exclusives"...
    ---
    ♫ "Many dreams come true and some have silver linings, I live for my dream and a pocketful of gold" ♫

    FiUSAwS:G! http://bit.ly/R3L1lb
    First | Previous | Page 3 of 4 | Last
    1 2 3 4

    Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

    Username Password Remember Me