darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Imaginators > Activision isn't ending Skylanders. Eric says they will find their way
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2
Activision isn't ending Skylanders. Eric says they will find their way
SkyFan91 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1806
#1 Posted: 19:34:02 03/07/2017 | Topic Creator
Earlier today an interview popped up with Eric Hirshberg. Eric was talking about the future of four franchises: Skylanders, Crash, COD and Destiny. Eric believes that TTL is not dead but overcrowded which I agree with him about that. Not going to say everything in the article since you can read it for yourself here's the link http://www.gamesindustry.biz/a...-eric-hirshberg
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10000
#2 Posted: 19:51:47 03/07/2017
Quote:
there's nothing broken about the franchise

lol
He also tries to spin the game's issues as competition, when we all know it's the short-term thinking. Oh well, PR talk is PR talk, better than blaming it on TFB like some companies would do.

Either way, not much on this article other than today's "pls keep giving us money guise", but at least Skylanders RPG isn't forgotten yet.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:53:15 03/07/2017 by Bifrost
#3 Posted: 20:00:58 03/07/2017 | Topic Creator
Quote: ZapNorris
nice clickbait scrub

I didn't create clickbait here. That's what was said in the article and that's what I am passing on no need to call me out on nothing
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#4 Posted: 20:03:30 03/07/2017
I see it as a reinforcment of his previous tweet.
With Infinity and Dimensions out of the way, only Starlink and Lightseekers can be seen as competitors in the market; count Amiibos in as well from a purely economic point of view.

They did supported Imaginators a bit more than the previous games, but I'm currently thinking about a non-toys to life future for the franchise, which doesn't necessarily excludes console titles.
I have the feeling they might try one more regular game next year and decide basing on how it's received.

It's good they are acknowledging their mistakes (even though not all of them) but realised Skylanders itself still has a big potential.

Crash is a success.
They might try to tone that down, and I appreciated how they are still contemplating the possibility of it being related to a niche market, but they know it very well.
Can't wai to see what'll come next, whether it will be orange... or purple. smilie
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#5 Posted: 20:50:37 03/07/2017
It's funny because he's lying.
---
Bruh
#6 Posted: 21:25:07 03/07/2017
Well, it's pretty close to GH's story. But they're trying to attempt necromancy on it AGAIN, so we don't know the ending to that story yet.

Could also be like Bomberman, where it died, everyone was mad, they did an edgy reboot, everyone was REALLY mad, and then the Switch game came out and everyone is finally happy and the series is back on track. Can we have that timeline for Skylanders?
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:25:57 03/07/2017 by Bifrost
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#7 Posted: 21:29:08 03/07/2017
Quote: Bifrost
Well, it's pretty close to GH's story. But they're trying to attempt necromancy on it AGAIN, so we don't know the ending to that story yet.

Could also be like Bomberman, where it died, everyone was mad, they did an edgy reboot, everyone was REALLY mad, and then the Switch game came out and everyone is finally happy and the series is back on track. Can we have that timeline for Skylanders?

the good timeline-

>death
>mad
>edgy reboot (in which snap shot smokes)
>really mad
>good game
>okay no more mad

the bad timeline-

>death
>mad
>sub-par reboot
>mad
>true death
>very mad
Halvmorke Emerald Sparx Gems: 4411
#8 Posted: 21:30:56 03/07/2017
For me, is the same he previously said. They're still trying to make money with Skylanders... but recurring to other "models of bussiness". TTL is overcrowded and in decline, that's truth, so now they'll support cheaper ways to keep up with the franchise. The mobile game, the TV show... the franchise is alive. But concerning console games... I don't think so. Indeed, I think they're clearly saying "Skylanders has changed forever". The franchise is going to be based on side content exclusively from now onwards, at least that's what I understand between lines with all of these statements and interviews.
---
Elite: smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
Senseis: smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
#9 Posted: 21:32:14 03/07/2017
I admit I'm not that interested in it, but I heard the latest Bomberman wasn't received that well.
Glad to hear it was just a vocal minority.

Whatever happens I'm at least happy he acknowledged the series and didn't go for a "we are not talking about it now".
Plus, Academy is still coming! smilie
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#10 Posted: 21:37:06 03/07/2017
Well, I heard it from casual fans at reddit that the new Bomberman is alright. Maybe it wouldn't be as acceptable if it wasn't a Switch launch title,but it did its job and the gameplay seemed legit.

Academy is coming but Netflix is taking its sweet time with trailers once again >:I
---
#11 Posted: 21:53:06 03/07/2017
Yeah, but I have no problem waiting.
At least not for this season.

Waiting the third one will be a pain, if you know what I mean. smilie
They'll better release lot of teasers for it.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8226
#12 Posted: 00:28:05 04/07/2017
Skyladners shoulnd't be on Nintendo consoles, tbh. Nintendo sucks.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
ninja9351 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4924
#13 Posted: 02:25:04 04/07/2017

Think Star Wars. Make 3 awesome movies, make 3 crappy movies, make a bunch of spin offs until the general public mostly forgets it exists, then make 3 good movies with a couple good spinoffs thrown in, which draws in the old fans and brings in a new generation.
---
I make Skylanders videos-Go Check em' out! youtube.com/portalmaster9351
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#14 Posted: 04:39:33 04/07/2017
Quote: HeyitsHotDog
Skyladners shoulnd't be on Nintendo consoles, tbh. Nintendo sucks.

What a well thought out, totally non-fanboy perspective. Given the franchise was designed as a Wii game first, and they have had exclusive figures and features to the Nintendo consoles I'd say that they disagree with your perspective.

What exactly makes Nintendo "suck" to you? Because the way I see it they have a very successful console that sells out almost immediately and a ton of solid franchises. Is it because your friends tell you Nintendo is "for kids" and you are too embarrassed to play the amazing new Zelda game?

Back on topic, everything Eric said is pure executive damage control. They know they spiked the Skylanders football and it is unlikely they try it again, especially after a couple attempts at resurrection and the high cost of a new game. The are taking the franchise mobile and are trying to be vague so investors don't panic. Sucks, but it is what it is.

As far as Bomberman, the Switch version is good fun, but nothing amazing. It did ok, but it definitely isn't going to cause that franchise to get going again.
#15 Posted: 04:48:47 04/07/2017
defpally, he's using a Kid Icarus avatar. I know sarcasm is hard to be seen on text communication, but you could get that if you connected the points.
---
Bruh
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#16 Posted: 06:46:18 04/07/2017
Quote: Crash10
defpally, he's using a Kid Icarus avatar. I know sarcasm is hard to be seen on text communication, but you could get that if you connected the points.

Typically sarcasm for humor has a point. Not just a random, out of context comment that is apparently an inside joke among a few. I know nuance for sarcasm is hard, but not everyone is aware of the details about others like that. And a somewhat generic anime avatar doesn't help. But ok, my bad.
#17 Posted: 08:56:45 04/07/2017
Smug doesn't help in a online community where people do have such inside jokes, kinda happens when you have a tight enough community.
---
#18 Posted: 11:24:45 04/07/2017
Yes, I was joking. I am a big Nintendo fan boy for sure. Nintendo Switch is the best console ever and I demand more Skylanders.

I'll admit, I wanted to see Skyfan's reaction to it, he's not a fan of Nintendo, and thinks THEY'RE the greediest video game company.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
#19 Posted: 11:38:58 04/07/2017 | Topic Creator
Yes, I was joking. I am a big Nintendo fan boy for sure. Nintendo Switch is the best console ever and I demand more Skylanders.

I'll admit, I wanted to see Skyfan's reaction to it, he's not a fan of Nintendo, and thinks THEY'RE the greediest video game company.

That wack ass company is the greediest that's all I'm saying nobody try convincing me other that isn't gonna work
#20 Posted: 11:42:24 04/07/2017
Quote: SkyFan91

That wack ass company is the greediest that's all I'm saying nobody try convincing me other that isn't gonna work

While, I don't want to get off topic, I'd like to see your reasonings. I know for a nearly a fact that's a wrong opinion.
---
#21 Posted: 13:06:18 04/07/2017 | Topic Creator

While, I don't want to get off topic, I'd like to see your reasonings. I know for a nearly a fact that's a wrong opinion.

An opinion isn't right or wrong in facts. It's just someone's thought on something you can't tell me that my own opinion is wrong just because I don't like Nintendo. It's an opinion pal respect that
King-Pen Krazy Yellow Sparx Gems: 1907
#22 Posted: 13:07:50 04/07/2017

I know you are joking, but that is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.
---
Rise and Shine Ursine
#23 Posted: 13:36:17 04/07/2017
Could you at least give me some reasons? I just think it's an odd opinion when other companies seem to make more greedy choices when compared to Nintendo.
---
#24 Posted: 13:41:41 04/07/2017 | Topic Creator
Could you at least give me some reasons? I just think it's an odd opinion when other companies seem to make more greedy choices when compared to Nintendo.

I really don't want to keep going off topic so this'll be the last post about Nintendo. For one, the youtube problem with Nintendo we all know how about that **** is so I won't go long on that. This next point isn't big as much but it's still there and that's every single game of theirs on Nintendo consoles. That doesn't piss me off but annoys me a little so that isn't a big deal as much. I have a lot of better reasons and I just really don't want to go off on a big rant so I'll end it with this. As Nintendo makes more and more bad decisions, they'll eventually start taking advantage of their fanbase since those fanboys always kiss their feet no matter what they do and eventually at some point in time or maybe never, gamers will start looking at Nintendo the same way as EA, e.t.c
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 13:42:00 04/07/2017 by SkyFan91
King-Pen Krazy Yellow Sparx Gems: 1907
#25 Posted: 13:44:14 04/07/2017

I really don't want to keep going off topic so this'll be the last post about Nintendo. For one, the youtube problem with Nintendo we all know how about that **** is so I won't go long on that. This next point isn't big as much but it's still there and that's every single game of theirs on Nintendo consoles. That doesn't piss me off but annoys me a little so that isn't a big deal as much. I have a lot of better reasons and I just really don't want to go off on a big rant so I'll end it with this. As Nintendo makes more and more bad decisions, they'll eventually start taking advantage of their fanbase since those fanboys always kiss their feet no matter what they do and eventually at some point in time or maybe never, gamers will start looking at Nintendo the same way as EA, e.t.c

A game company making a game for their own console, HOW DISASTORUS
---
Rise and Shine Ursine
#26 Posted: 14:06:17 04/07/2017 | Topic Creator
Quote: King-Pen Krazy

I said that it annoys me a bit it's not something that pisses me off. Read bruh
#27 Posted: 14:16:30 04/07/2017

Other companies do it too, so I assume that when other companies do it, it annoys you too?
---
#28 Posted: 14:23:23 04/07/2017 | Topic Creator

Other companies do it too, so I assume that when other companies do it, it annoys you too?

No omg. Ya know what fine whatever I'm not going off topic any more I hate Nintendo for many reasons and you can't change my opinion that's it
#29 Posted: 14:46:49 04/07/2017
So, when Game Companies release games only on their consoles, it's ok, but when Nintendo does it, it's bad?

No need to reply, just wanted to explain how I understood that.

Anyway, it's good to know that Acti hasn't given up on Skylanders yet, but fill they pull through? How d'yall think they'll keep it relevant?
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:47:02 04/07/2017 by HeyitsHotDog
tigerdr Yellow Sparx Gems: 1976
#30 Posted: 17:19:03 04/07/2017
Even if you don't fully read the article, the writing's on the wall. I'd say it's very doubtful you will see a new game within the next 2-3 years as they took quite a hit from releasing imginators. It's not flying off the shelves like they used to and toys to life is too saturated to make the money it once did. It may need several years before something that fully fledged comes out again. The show and mobile seems like those maybe the only markets they will cater to for the time being.
---
Taking that last ride through the sunset on skylanders. Hopefully a return of more classic spyro gameplay in the horizon.
#31 Posted: 17:33:00 04/07/2017
We might get a game, if not Skylanders RPG might be their focus, but TTL is the unlikely part.
---
#32 Posted: 18:33:42 04/07/2017
Quote: tigerdr
Even if you don't fully read the article, the writing's on the wall. I'd say it's very doubtful you will see a new game within the next 2-3 years as they took quite a hit from releasing imginators. It's not flying off the shelves like they used to and toys to life is too saturated to make the money it once did. It may need several years before something that fully fledged comes out again. The show and mobile seems like those maybe the only markets they will cater to for the time being.

Oh look who's back so did you really see LIM in the US or were you bull****ing?

He already said he wasn't liying in his previous post.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#33 Posted: 18:40:16 04/07/2017
Skyfan, that's not even on topic, and accusing for the sake of it. If you want to start **** you have the thread where that exchange actually is.

I don't believe too much on the Wii's death bringing Skylanders down with it. The games started multiplat even if they started there; yeah you lose a big chunk of casual fans, but at that point you adapt, not repeatedly try to get them back. 'cuz that's what the marketing did, to the point of treating the fans that stayed like toddlers.
---
Johnbonne Yellow Sparx Gems: 1216
#34 Posted: 19:24:13 04/07/2017
Skyfan, that's not even on topic, and accusing for the sake of it. If you want to start **** you have the thread where that exchange actually is.

I don't believe too much on the Wii's death bringing Skylanders down with it. The games started multiplat even if they started there; yeah you lose a big chunk of casual fans, but at that point you adapt, not repeatedly try to get them back. 'cuz that's what the marketing did, to the point of treating the fans that stayed like toddlers.

Some good points there, particularly the part I put in bold. If you were in charge of the marketing/general design, what would you do to push Skylanders to the audience it should've gone for? I'm just blue sky thinking here, but I would make the villains more threatening and possibly make combat more graphic (teeth flying out, bones snapping, wedgies). Not sure how exactly, but like I say, just pulling ideas out of the air. smilie
#35 Posted: 19:47:32 04/07/2017
I'd at least keep in mind some fans aren't 8 anymore. The PR did a lot of looking down on fans, both on social media and press coverages, and you had to get lucky with the game's producers or Lou to get a sane conversation; anyone remember the trainwreck of every Guha Bala interview/dev video? Way too much assuming we were stupid and wouldn't see the catch, lying, or repeating themselves to change the subject, or plain insulting remarks on how no one likes X feature.

I think they should've followed the example that Paul Reiche set with his meetings. Older fan, youtuber, even the kids, he always maturely answers and explains he's aware of leaks but he can't speak about them instead of playing clueless. If there's q suggestion, he says they'll look into it, or it's not in plans, but never excuses. That's the PR that actually keeps a fandom in one piece.
---
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#36 Posted: 21:12:50 04/07/2017
(remember that time matt called nintendo a bunch of *insert racial expletive?* i do.)

anyway

DON'T
LOSE
YOUR
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY
Chompy-King257 Gold Sparx Gems: 2956
#37 Posted: 21:23:41 04/07/2017
Hey guys what's pop...

Oh...
OH...

I see this topic has already gone to hell. I'm out.
---
i made the "bus" look like my "dad"
TrapShadowFan Emerald Sparx Gems: 3500
#38 Posted: 00:36:09 05/07/2017
They also said Imaginators had plenty more figures to release, but they just meant wave 4 and 5 (the latter hasn't even released in the US). when they say the series isn't over, they are likely referencing the mobile RPG which releases next year. After that they might as well just say "The series is just on an extended vacation!"
#39 Posted: 01:35:50 05/07/2017
Quote: TrapShadowFan
They also said Imaginators had plenty more figures to release, but they just meant wave 4 and 5 (the latter hasn't even released in the US). when they say the series isn't over, they are likely referencing the mobile RPG which releases next year. After that they might as well just say "The series is just on an extended vacation!"

"The series is just going to buy some milk. It will be back soon."
---
Bruh
Wishblade Emerald Sparx Gems: 3262
#40 Posted: 03:56:06 05/07/2017
Quote: Johnbonne

Some good points there, particularly the part I put in bold. If you were in charge of the marketing/general design, what would you do to push Skylanders to the audience it should've gone for? I'm just blue sky thinking here, but I would make the villains more threatening and possibly make combat more graphic (teeth flying out, bones snapping, wedgies). Not sure how exactly, but like I say, just pulling ideas out of the air. smilie

I've said that kind of sentiment a few times. They need to grow with their audience. 2011 was 6 years ago and they still market to kids too young. Time to adapt and let the game have a little more mature content. At times I find big blue arrows insulting to my intelligence. And yeah, we can handle a little more graphic combat. Some NPC's need to not be so dang stupid, too. Please, please, please can we make sure we can skip the dialog on these for when we replay?
---
Any last wishes?
kaosmumishot Emerald Sparx Gems: 3271
#41 Posted: 05:12:33 05/07/2017
Quote: Wishblade
I've said that kind of sentiment a few times. They need to grow with their audience. 2011 was 6 years ago and they still market to kids too young. Time to adapt and let the game have a little more mature content. At times I find big blue arrows insulting to my intelligence. And yeah, we can handle a little more graphic combat. Some NPC's need to not be so dang stupid, too. Please, please, please can we make sure we can skip the dialog on these for when we replay?

I agree with the big blue arrows part and the NPC's. Don't agree with the more graphic combat however. Only because there are plenty of games that cater for that. I don't see any need for Skylanders to go down that path. But making puzzles harder to solve and items harder to find would be a welcome change. Not that I think they'll do another console game unfortunately. But if it ever did happen more challenging would be better.
#42 Posted: 07:42:11 05/07/2017
Quote: kaosmumishot
Quote: Wishblade

I agree with the big blue arrows part and the NPC's. Don't agree with the more graphic combat however. Only because there are plenty of games that cater for that. I don't see any need for Skylanders to go down that path. But making puzzles harder to solve and items harder to find would be a welcome change. Not that I think they'll do another console game unfortunately. But if it ever did happen more challenging would be better.

Well when I say graphic combat I could change that to more animate combat. Player animations are fine, but when I uppercut an enemy as Terrafin I'd expect the enemy to be launched into the air, dazed, and then shake their head and charge back into combat. Sound design would also need more oomph in my opinion, again, not from player characters but from enemies that make similar noises and movements. I'd also go as far to say as that Skylanders could do with more strategy - Imaginators toys with the idea of making you need to jump over certain attacks, but characters or the attacks are too slow to be fun. Manoeuvrability is something I'd want to see play a much greater role, and that way you can have harder and more tactical fights.

As for the puzzles, the amount of block puzzles needs to be reduced drastically. It gets old before I'm even halfway through Spyro's Adventure. But making those or different puzzles harder would be welcome! The thing is while playing Superchargers I really liked the platforming because it didn't involve pushing a turtle into a hole for the umpteen-millionth time, but in Imaginators characters again feel clunky and make things like that less enjoyable. Having said that I thoroughly enjoyed Thumpin' Wumpa Islands for that kind of content. smilie
#43 Posted: 07:43:19 05/07/2017
I'd at least keep in mind some fans aren't 8 anymore. The PR did a lot of looking down on fans, both on social media and press coverages, and you had to get lucky with the game's producers or Lou to get a sane conversation; anyone remember the trainwreck of every Guha Bala interview/dev video? Way too much assuming we were stupid and wouldn't see the catch, lying, or repeating themselves to change the subject, or plain insulting remarks on how no one likes X feature.

I think they should've followed the example that Paul Reiche set with his meetings. Older fan, youtuber, even the kids, he always maturely answers and explains he's aware of leaks but he can't speak about them instead of playing clueless. If there's q suggestion, he says they'll look into it, or it's not in plans, but never excuses. That's the PR that actually keeps a fandom in one piece.

To tell you the truth I've been away from Skylanders for a long time, not really been active since Giants so I can't recall a lot of this stuff. But you've given me a lot to mull over, so thanks for that! smilie
#44 Posted: 13:47:06 05/07/2017
If you ever have the patience to read endless derailing, the discussion threads for these games are still all there with an exception or two. But Wishblade is right - their marketing strategy is reintroduce the games every year, and that's, to put it bluntly, idiotic. You push away older fans, the fans you just got get impatient, the new kids probably know how the game works already.
---
AzureStarline Emerald Sparx Gems: 3539
#45 Posted: 13:49:08 06/07/2017
IMHO, if Lightseekers is successful then you can bet your pants that Skylanders will make the jump to Android/iOS.
---
Favorites: smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
ExcitonKnight Gold Sparx Gems: 2753
#46 Posted: 23:42:18 07/07/2017
Honestly, I'd rather the series die in peace.
---
Merry Christmas ya filthy animal
nitendofan92 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4572
#47 Posted: 18:18:30 08/07/2017
Quote: ExcitonKnight
Honestly, I'd rather the series die in peace.

it was milked to death
---
THE END IS NEAR
#48 Posted: 19:03:21 08/07/2017
Not much peace here. You guys like to repeat that a lot in every opportunity possible, but I don't see level editing, an attempt at PVP, Malefor on console, games dedicated to few Skylanders or any other big fan demands since the start.
---
Portal___Master Emerald Sparx Gems: 3718
#49 Posted: 19:24:19 08/07/2017
imo i have my doubts that LightSeekers will be successful, especially at SkyLanders highest success.
LS problems currently are that they are a mobile only game, the figures are too pricey, and the game, esp imo feels unpolished.
---
smilie
Guinness Book of World Records holder for Largest SkyLanders Collection.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SkyLandersCollectorsGroup
Wishblade Emerald Sparx Gems: 3262
#50 Posted: 21:14:49 08/07/2017
I'd rather they focus on an awesome game for 2018 than pour out crap for a tablet.

Our seems like they are stalling, scratching their butts with apprehension, quiveringif they will still make money on this franchise.
---
Any last wishes?
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 21:21:25 08/07/2017 by Wishblade
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me