darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Imaginators > Did Toys For Bob run out of ideas with the Skylander Characters?
Page 1 of 1
Did Toys For Bob run out of ideas with the Skylander Characters?
MugoUrth Ripto Gems: 3234
#1 Posted: 10:10:57 09/04/2017 | Topic Creator
It's just that so many of these look so generic. Pit Boss is kind of cool, but he's still the third snake character (arguably the coolest one though). Everyone except Mysticat and Chopscotch have almost the same anatomy. Ambush, Starcast and Wild Storm are all very similar looking mystery creatures that resemble just about nothing. There's quite a lot of humans this time around including Ember, Barbella, Aurora, and arguably the ugliest character yet: Tidepool. Not to mention the glut of other anthropomorphic animals. None of these characters really scream "new" to me?

What are other people's opinions on them.
omer1698 Gold Sparx Gems: 2258
#2 Posted: 10:24:01 09/04/2017
what are you talking about? mysticat is a six limbd sphinx and chopschotch is a short skeleton girl, how is this suppesd to be the same anatomy? they are not even from the same race. allso i dont think they are run out of ideas.
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
Nroc-Nuika Platinum Sparx Gems: 5336
#3 Posted: 11:32:08 09/04/2017
I don't exactly think they're running out of ideas. No more so than Pokemon or Digimon are 'running out of ideas'. In fact, I think the ideas get more and more creative every year. SA has Dragons, Elves and Ents. Imaginators has a ninja alien, a bodybuilding crystal golem, a rock-pool super-spy, a centauric-sphinx, a robo-viking and a robin Hood robot to name a few.

Imaginators' premise kind of limits the design choices of a lot of these characters. They have to brandish specific weapons, setting them into a specific anatomy. All of them at least have to have two arms. This kind of development has started ever since the Giants. Gimmick characters are almost always going to be humanoid in shape, and with having done away with core figures, it looks like this kind of anatomy is going to stay.
---
I always forget to check my guestbook
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8226
#4 Posted: 13:23:40 09/04/2017
Quote: omer1698
what are you talking about? mysticat is a six limbd sphinx and chopschotch is a short skeleton girl, how is this suppesd to be the same anatomy? they are not even from the same race. allso i dont think they are run out of ideas.

You misunderstood. Everyone BESIDES Chpscotch and Mysticat, have "the same anatomy" .
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
omer1698 Gold Sparx Gems: 2258
#5 Posted: 13:37:15 09/04/2017
Quote: HeyitsHotDog
Quote: omer1698

You misunderstood. Everyone BESIDES Chpscotch and Mysticat, have "the same anatomy" .

oh, i probobly read at worng, but you forgot that air strike have a diffarent same anatomy aswell.
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#6 Posted: 15:30:11 09/04/2017
I'm not one to tell since Imaginators had my favorite cast since Spyro's Adventure (in terms of design), so yeah...
---
Bruh
AdamGregory03 Gold Sparx Gems: 2156
#7 Posted: 16:11:19 09/04/2017
Well, just because they're limited to a more humanoid design doesn't mean they can't still be creative with it. I mean, we've got a turtle (thing... I'm guessing?) with a trained falcon, a four-armed alien ninja, a flaming wolf with a rocket launcher, and (while not technically a new design) a rockstar werewolf who's also an archer. So yeah, even with the limitations I don't think they're running out of ideas. In fact, I'd even argue that it'd be easier to run out of designs for four-legged characters, since there are only so many four-legged animals (or you could just make some up).
---
Golden Queen did nothing wrong and she is best evil waifu.
Check this out! Please?
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#8 Posted: 19:02:23 09/04/2017
I think it depends on what you choose to focus on.

We have three snakes, but they are pretty different and unique: one is more based on venom, the other on charming and the third on casting.
Following that logic, Stealth Elf, Hex, Flameslinger and Fright Rider would all similar simply because they are elves.

Let alone the reformed villains (which still have interesting designs but technically aren't new) we still have creative concepts: you mentioned Chopscotch, but Air Strike has a similar body shape yet having nothing to do with her gameplay.
I also think it's a bit of a stretch to say Starcast is the same as Wild Storm and Ambush simply because of the blank eyes, and even they are not that similar despite sharing the Battle Class.
The entire Quickshot class is pretty great on it's own regard, since we don't have many dual wielding gunners.

I agree that this isn't the best rooster yet, mostly because of the "limitation" of the gimmick, but it's still a thousands times better than the not-limited previous one, where all the Skylanders were upright and bipedals with the exception of Spitfire and basically had the same body type (except for Dive-Clops).
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:02:50 09/04/2017 by Drek95
Blastertron Green Sparx Gems: 114
#9 Posted: 19:27:01 09/04/2017
Am I the only one here who realized king pen is another slam bam
---
What can you expect from a robot who's battle class doesn't match his name???
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10000
#10 Posted: 19:32:39 09/04/2017
No, because that's not a thing. They're not even the same animal or with the same number of arms.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:32:53 09/04/2017 by Bifrost
SkyFan91 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1806
#11 Posted: 19:51:51 09/04/2017
Nah TFB isn't running out ideas for characters. Yeah three snakes but at least they're different from eachother. I'm really interested in what new Senseis they have in mind for October. Like who knows? Maybe they'll have an undead spider in the swashbuckler class that would be pretty cool! TFB can get really creative with their characters so no I don't think they're running out of ideas
Blastertron Green Sparx Gems: 114
#12 Posted: 20:54:10 09/04/2017
Quote: Bifrost
No, because that's not a thing. They're not even the same animal or with the same number of arms.

I meant they have the similar attacks
---
What can you expect from a robot who's battle class doesn't match his name???
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#13 Posted: 20:58:30 09/04/2017
okay first off don't you ****ing dare talk **** about tidepool
#14 Posted: 10:52:52 10/04/2017 | Topic Creator
People talk about anatomical limitations, but I see no reason a quadrupedal sensei with an automatic bazooka could not work. ...Though that's just one weapon. There's still ways to get creative with the other weapons.
McMurderpaws Yellow Sparx Gems: 1330
#15 Posted: 15:12:23 10/04/2017
Quote: MugoUrth
People talk about anatomical limitations, but I see no reason a quadrupedal sensei with an automatic bazooka could not work. ...Though that's just one weapon. There's still ways to get creative with the other weapons.

You act like that's some sort of void that needs to be filled... but you just described something awfully similar to Spy Rise and Dr. Krankcase.

And just because their ideas differ from yours doesn't mean they "ran out." This thread is pointless under the best of intentions, and pretty patronizing otherwise.

Quote: ZapNorris
okay first off don't you ****ing dare talk **** about tidepool

Also, this*infinity+1, you Philistine.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:15:22 10/04/2017 by McMurderpaws
#16 Posted: 15:37:12 10/04/2017
I agree with McMurderPaws
#17 Posted: 15:42:39 10/04/2017 | Topic Creator
Quote: McMurderpaws

You act like that's some sort of void that needs to be filled... but you just described something awfully similar to Spy Rise and Dr. Krankcase.

And just because their ideas differ from yours doesn't mean they "ran out." This thread is pointless under the best of intentions, and pretty patronizing otherwise.

The idea sounds nothing like Spy Rise and Dr. Krankase. When I said Quadruped, I meant a true quadruped: you know, meaning no arms.

And I never said they ran out of ideas because "Ideas differed from mine." I'm saying they ran out because they repeated a lot of the same ideas not just from past games, but in this one as well. And while some of the designs are still pretty cool, it's not like anthropomorphic penguins, wolves and robots are all that new and original.
#18 Posted: 16:04:57 10/04/2017

The idea sounds nothing like Spy Rise and Dr. Krankase. When I said Quadruped, I meant a true quadruped: you know, meaning no arms.

And I never said they ran out of ideas because "Ideas differed from mine." I'm saying they ran out because they repeated a lot of the same ideas not just from past games, but in this one as well. And while some of the designs are still pretty cool, it's not like anthropomorphic penguins, wolves and robots are all that new and original.

Well we never had a penguin Skylander until Imaginators
Muffin Man Platinum Sparx Gems: 5348
#19 Posted: 21:04:22 10/04/2017
The senseis all look radically different from eachother and previous Skylanders to me.
---
Boop me if you see this.
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#20 Posted: 22:26:52 10/04/2017
I understand antropomorphic animals might not be as creative as certain other designs, but they have been here since SA.
It's clear that the Skylands are vastly inhabited by such species, so I don't why they wouldn't want to add more with each installments.

That being said, let's look at Imaginators' roster.
We have 6 antropomorphic animals (7 if you also want to include Crash) out of 31 Skylanders.
Not too many, huh?
Didn't count mythological creatures such as Mysticat and Buckshot because otherwise any non-human looking creature would.
If anything, I'm surprised we have very little repetition in terms of species after six games: three snakes, two wolves, various avians (pretty different from each other).
So even out of those 7 only 3 are something we've already seen, and Wolfgang is still technically new.

We do have a lot of humanoids (and at least one proper human) this time around, though, but I think they all manage to look and feel quite unique.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
#21 Posted: 22:29:29 10/04/2017 | Topic Creator
I think a problem I have is that you assume I'm speaking as if running out of ideas is a terrible thing. I think the sensies aren't that creative, but I don't think they're bad in design. I still like a lot of the anthro senseis (and I do kind of like BlasterTron), but I still think some of them could have used more creativity. The human senseis don't really differentiate themselves enough, and I still kind of think Ambush/Wild Storm/Starcast (and to a lesser extent Bloom Boom) look pretty similar.
#22 Posted: 23:11:41 10/04/2017
I think a problem I have is that you assume I'm speaking as if running out of ideas is a terrible thing. I think the sensies aren't that creative, but I don't think they're bad in design. I still like a lot of the anthro senseis (and I do kind of like BlasterTron), but I still think some of them could have used more creativity. The human senseis don't really differentiate themselves enough, and I still kind of think Ambush/Wild Storm/Starcast (and to a lesser extent Bloom Boom) look pretty similar.

If you have a problem with it then how about you just close this thread? Clearly it isn't working out to well : /
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:12:12 10/04/2017 by SkyFan91
Flame58 Blue Sparx Gems: 528
#23 Posted: 00:49:49 11/04/2017
No, we have pretty much the best cast of Skylanders with Imaginators in my opinion.
---
"Let the flames begin!"
Matteomax Platinum Sparx Gems: 5378
#24 Posted: 19:03:48 12/04/2017
arguably the ugliest character yet: Tidepool.

What exactly do you mean by "ugliest?" The armor may look a little awkward on her, but her face is.. surprisingly attractive for Skylanders' standards.

[User Posted Image]

The Senseis are all on two legs to match Imaginators, with Mysticat being the only exception, but he still has the centaur-like torso to make up for it.
---
Will still be checking the forums every now and then!
Deja Vu Platinum Sparx Gems: 5461
#25 Posted: 19:45:14 12/04/2017
Unlike most of the fandom, I don't crave dragons and I always preferred humanoid characters, so this roster is actually really good imo.
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10000
#26 Posted: 19:52:30 12/04/2017
I like a bit of both, probably why Trap Team is my favorite lineup. Imaginators is really close though, I like the characters that adapted nicely to the black and gold armor like her, Pit Boss and others.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
#27 Posted: 20:01:18 12/04/2017
tidepool is sacrosanct
Deja Vu Platinum Sparx Gems: 5461
#28 Posted: 21:13:45 12/04/2017
I like a bit of both, probably why Trap Team is my favorite lineup. Imaginators is really close though, I like the characters that adapted nicely to the black and gold armor like her, Pit Boss and others.

Black and gold armor?

*looks at figures*

OH MY GOD THEY DO ALL HAVE BLACK AND GOLD ARMORS!
Halvmorke Emerald Sparx Gems: 4411
#29 Posted: 22:07:43 12/04/2017
*Facepalm*
---
Elite: smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
Senseis: smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
McMurderpaws Yellow Sparx Gems: 1330
#30 Posted: 22:25:23 12/04/2017
Quote: Deja Vu

Black and gold armor?

*looks at figures*

Haha, yep! That's the reason they changed the Legendary figures for this series from Navy/Gold to Red/Gold. smilie
Mesuxelf Ripto Gems: 3666
#31 Posted: 02:10:08 13/04/2017
yes obviously lol half of the cast of this game is just reused characters
Wishblade Emerald Sparx Gems: 3262
#32 Posted: 03:44:53 13/04/2017
Meh. Doesn't bother me. I'm still impressed that they manage to make each one on the fairly big roster a bit unique. This game also has the fewest number of characters I don't like. The figures are also the best looking work good quality paint jobs. I have so many Superchargers with sloppy paint mistakes.
One thing that does bother me a bit is that Imaginators are way more powerful than senseis.
---
Any last wishes?
#33 Posted: 14:58:25 13/04/2017
Quote: Mesuxelf

I have a feeling your only here to troll/ start drama if that's the case then please leave
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:58:51 13/04/2017 by SkyFan91
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8226
#34 Posted: 15:08:44 13/04/2017
Quote: SkyFan91

I have a feeling your only here to troll/ start drama if that's the case then please leave

He hasn't played Skylanders since Trap Team, and dislikes the series now. Don't take his input.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
#35 Posted: 15:25:14 13/04/2017
Quote: HeyitsHotDog
Quote: SkyFan91

He hasn't played Skylanders since Trap Team, and dislikes the series now. Don't take his input.

I can respect his opinion but if he's going to start stuff then it becomes a problem
#36 Posted: 17:54:39 13/04/2017
new forum rule-

talk **** about tidepool get smacked
Insane01 Gold Sparx Gems: 2038
#37 Posted: 17:36:01 15/04/2017
I agree with Wishblade, except the only character I've got that has a mediocre paint job is Bat Spin.
I'm impartial to what type of base each character is derived from. as long as they're cool, that's all that matters. and actually (not counting chase and in-game variants) 12 recurring Skylanders characters, the villains, 2 guest characters, Crash and Dr. Cortex, and 20 new characters. I'm glad they're using the villains for once instead of recasting older figures (Superchargers is a prime example). how many more Stealh Elf, Terrabite, Jet-Vac, Trigger Happy or any other older figure that has been done to death. there's plenty of figures that have never gone beyond S1 and not counting EE.
---
" Am I the mad one or are you?"
then, again, "we're all mad here
"
Kevin16 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4524
#38 Posted: 00:20:35 24/04/2017
The weird designs already started at Trap Team, like Gearshift with her Chill face.
---
what even is this site anymore lmao
Hexin_Wishes Yellow Sparx Gems: 1522
#39 Posted: 12:21:38 25/04/2017
Quote: Deja Vu

Black and gold armor?

*looks at figures*

Haha, yep! That's the reason they changed the Legendary figures for this series from Navy/Gold to Red/Gold. smilie

The change in color scheme is so jarring but I don't mind since I love red and gold and Pit Boss looks badass.

Quote: Wishblade
The figures are also the best looking work good quality paint jobs. I have so many Superchargers with sloppy paint mistakes.

I don't know about that. The TRU lot I saw had some really gross paint jobs (legit paint splatter all over a figure and FlareWolf's glove being only half colored. )
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 12:25:10 25/04/2017 by Hexin_Wishes
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me