Page 1 of 1
Nightmare Mode
SoulfulWolf Platinum Sparx Gems: 5756
#1 Posted: 14:00:53 30/03/2017 | Topic Creator
So I'm playing through Nightmare Mode right now, just to unlock the Wasteland set. And I wanted to make a poll, sort of.

I've been very off and on on Skylanders. Back when I first started, I 100% SSA (even got all accolades), and did most of Giants. But then I came to a crawl when I started Giants' Nightmare mode. Partially because I had just done everything, and now I had to do it again, only with a lot more dying... When I shouldn't be dying, since I want those 3 level stars. (And all that for a hat, that I didn't even use, because I just don't use hats in general).

I never did finish Giants, as Swap Force came out, and I wanted to move onto that game. I played up to about, Iron Jaw Gulch? I think. But then I just put the game down. Probably out of burn out. I still kept collecting everything though. I got Trap Team, not even playing it while I collected. The same might have happened with Superchargers, I can't remember. So up to this point I had only experienced Giants Nightmare Mode.

Then Imaginators was announced. I decided to marathon through the 5 previous games in preparation. SSA was the same as before (although this time I did not do heroic challenges). Giants was also the same, I even managed to 100% a normal mode save file. Although I ignored the arena. I didn't bother with Nightmare Mode for a few reasons. By this point I had stripped down my collection. All the variants and reposes I once had were gone, and I was no longer worried about completing everything anymore. The numbers would never be complete anyway. (Unless I go crazy and try to re-buy all those reposes and variants. But that is... highly unlikely, with the current prices). And secondly, even if I did start using hats, I can just transfer them down from SuperChargers... (I think.)

So I continued, beating Swap Force for the first time, not even bothering to 100% this one on Normal Mode. (I really didn't feel like dealing with that take no damage stars on the bosses.) I played Trap Team for the first time, doing most of it, even trying to 100% it on normal mode. I was surprised by all the levels having 4 stars after the credits rolled. But I never once touched Kaos' Doom Challenge, or even thought about Nightmare Mode and it's Rainbow Hat. Eventually I got impatient with Super Chargers just sitting there in front of me, and just started playing that.

I played through Super Chargers fairly easily. Still on normal. I even went out of my way to get every star in the game (Outside of Elemental Challenges). I did all 3 vehicle sections in every level, got 3 stars on all 20 character's super charger challenge, I even powered through the Hard difficulty on each Race Track, Mirror Track, Time Attack, Villain Pursuit, and even Super Villain Cup. I still never bothered with Nightmare Mode, as while playing on the Wii U, I don't even think there was an achievement for it. And I wasn't too worried about the accolades either, seeing as I doubt I would find anyone to race against online.

But here we are at Imaginators. They've locked the Wasteland set behind Nightmare Mode. And I do want to unlock every imaginator piece. And while playing through, even most of my senseis are dying in as little as 3 hits. (Note: I haven't actually made my Imaginators yet, as I want to unlock all parts first.) Some even from enemies that die in one hit themselves! It's kind of ridiculous! I used to be able to go through these levels with one character without any deaths at all, maybe 1 death if I was playing carelessly. And now I'm dying 6 to 8 times, even while playing my most careful... It just reminds me of how much Nightmare Mode felt like a slog back in Giants...

So the whole point was to ask; Does anybody actually like Nightmare Mode? Or rather how many people actually do? (Since I know a few of you do.) And not just in imaginators, but from Giants to Imaginators, in each game. And if not, is it worth it just for 1 hat, achievement, or Imaginte Set??
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 14:13:32 30/03/2017 by SoulfulWolf
#2 Posted: 14:08:07 30/03/2017 | Topic Creator
Sorry if this came off as a little rant-y...

[And sorry in advanced for the double post, I just wanted this part separate from my general experiences with nightmare mode.]

The Poll:

Do you like Nightmare Mode? Do you think the unlock is worth it?

A. You like Nightmare Mode, and think the unlocks is worth it.

B. You don't like Nightmare Mode, but the unlocks are totally worth it!

C. You like Nightmare Mode, but couldn't care less about what it unlocks.

D. You don't like Nightmare Mode, and the unlocks don't appeal to you enough to have you bother with it.

(Or E. Who even cares?)

Personally. I'm a B for Imaginators, and a D for Giants through SuperChargers.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:08:43 30/03/2017 by SoulfulWolf
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9943
#3 Posted: 14:13:52 30/03/2017
B, otherwise only in Giants for the armored enemies and the strategy they introduce. Everywher else have this bad mentality of more health=more difficult, when it only makes things slower. I try to beat them for the sake of replay value, but it's not fun when I compare my experience to Normal, maybe Hard.

Armored enemies are still not the solution though, since they're all about DPS - the enemy isn't a damage sponge, but you're still too limited with most Skylanders and just powering through without the satisfaction of using your mind.

Think of it as playing as Dread Head Nightfall. Yeah, enemies will die to Ambrush eventually, but where's the fun in that? I'd much rather run behind enemies and juggle, but you can't do that in Nightmare since she dies if someone looks at her the wrong way. So you're stuck with the boring strategy.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:21:07 30/03/2017 by Bifrost
Halvmorke Emerald Sparx Gems: 4391
#4 Posted: 15:46:36 30/03/2017
I enjoyed Nightmare Mode back in Giants, it was refreshingly challenging and I really wanted the Knight Helmet, but in Imaginators... I don't see the point. Wasteland set is indifferent to me and bearing in mind how ridiculously unbalanced the game already is... I won’t try unless I find myself absolutely bored and having the time, which is highly improbable.
---
Elite: smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
Senseis: smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
#5 Posted: 18:03:14 30/03/2017 | Topic Creator
Bifrost summed up my thoughts pretty well. (Minus the Nightfall bit. I've barely played as her, to spite quite liking her. Her Dread attacks are... pitiful.)

But I'm reminded of a question. As stated, I don't like Nightmare Mode, and neither of you do either. (Outside of Giants.)

So, I have to ask. With SuperChargers having every hat in the series (Imaginator's Headgear aside), am I able to just plop down a hat on a random skylander, like say the Knightmare Helm, The Volcano Hat, the Rainbow Hat, the UFO Hat, or any of 3 variant character hats, put that character in the hat's respective game, and unlock it that way? Or do I still need beat Nightmare in Giants, SwapForce, and Trap Team respectively to truly 'unlock' those hats? (Or own the corresponding variant figure, or Target Pre-Order Card?)
Corn_Hornet Yellow Sparx Gems: 1982
#6 Posted: 18:05:24 30/03/2017
I still have yet to play Trap Team or Superchargers, but I have all of the figures (but not all variants or traps). I figure I'll get around to it if there's no new Skylanders for 2017.

With Spyro's Adventure, I 100%ed Normal mode, started Nightmare but didn't finish it because I wanted to move onto Giants.

With Giants, I went through it on Hard, but got bored during Nightmare and never went back to it. Didn't care about the hat that much.

With Swap Force, I got close to 100% on Hard it but didn't do all of the arenas. About a year later started going through Nightmare, but stopped when Imaginators came out. Didn't care about the hat too much.

Imaginators was the first game I actually played while the figures were still coming out. I got close to 100% on Expert mode, still have to get stars on the Crash Bandicoot level. It's also the first game I beat on Nightmare mode because I wanted to
unlock the Wasteland parts, but I don't care about getting all the stars in that mode.

Overall I prefer Expert mode to Nightmare. Nightmare just feels cheap, like they were too lazy to make the gameplay more challenging, so they just upped enemy hit points and damage. It also makes the Senseis feel worthless since they die so quickly.

So I'd say D for the first 3 games, B for Imaginators.

I've been taking a Skylanders break until the new Expansions and Senseis come out, playing Diablo 3 and Skyrim in the meantime.
#7 Posted: 19:21:39 30/03/2017 | Topic Creator
Quote: Corn_Hornet
With Spyro's Adventure, I 100%ed Normal mode, started Nightmare but didn't finish it because I wanted to move onto Giants.

But... how? There is no difficulty select in SSA.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:22:00 30/03/2017 by SoulfulWolf
#8 Posted: 20:18:47 30/03/2017
Corn_Hornet means playing Fear Eater Ghost Roaster and Undead Defender Series 1 Chop Chop only smilie

I'll see myself out.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 20:19:55 30/03/2017 by Bifrost
optimall Yellow Sparx Gems: 1377
#9 Posted: 20:19:47 30/03/2017
A. I love nightmare mode. And I love and use the wasteland headspikes a lot.

The thing is though I practice getting through levels without being touched at all, and nothing prepares you for that like nightmare mode….

But that being said, when I play with the missus we play on easy mode even though she could play nightmare level, she just likes the stress free play.
---
Join me on line chat.
Search for line ID: skylanderschat
emeraldzoroark Platinum Sparx Gems: 5357
#10 Posted: 21:14:22 30/03/2017
C or D. I'm never in it for the rewards because I barely use Hats. Although the Wasteland gear is pretty cool.
---
Soon.
Wishblade Emerald Sparx Gems: 3262
#11 Posted: 23:21:58 30/03/2017
A for me. I like the challenge and want to collect everything. I like the slow build of upgrading and leveling up every character in preparation.

If all that dying makes you weary in Imaginators' nightmare mode, it's time for you to start creating your Imaginators, they are usually more powerful than senseis.

But don't over analyze it, play what you like. Just like those stupid no-damage stars in Swap Force, skip it if you hate it. And if you can accept not unlocking all parts, there are plenty others.
---
Any last wishes?
TechSkylander15 Green Sparx Gems: 276
#12 Posted: 23:45:23 30/03/2017
Definitely in category B. Nightmare mode seems to me like they just increased the numbers on enemies (health and damage dealt) rather than actually making it harder.
zookinator Platinum Sparx Gems: 5683
#13 Posted: 03:13:05 31/03/2017
A. I've played through all five games multiple times over, including Imaginators with me getting both Wii U and Xbox One versions, and I always go through Nightmare mode (except for Imaginators, but I'm waiting for four Creation Crystals to arrive before I go through, as I want the Gold and XP from that to go to them).

Giants was probably the first and last time Skylanders made it right. I don't remember too much about it, as it's been years since I've properly played it, but I do remember playing through it many times. I think it warrants a playthrough, once I figure out how to make Pyrofer's tool work on my Windows 10 computer again, that way I can reset my Skylanders for a true Nightmare playthrough.

Swap Force was a welcome change from Giants for one reason only: Convenience. We didn't have to play through the entire game again to be able to enjoy Nightmare for what it was. But, while it may have been fun in Arena Battles (which, in my opinion, were the best), it was not so much in Story Mode, and so it became lesser in my eyes. I didn't care for Swap Force all that much anyways, even if it had some of the best post-Story content in the game.

Trap Team is probably my favorite Skylanders game so far, what with the Villain Mechanic and the great design in each of the levels, and of course the fantastic boss fights. Traptanium Powered Kaos is probably the best Kaos boss fight we've had in the series, and going through it on Nightmare has been my favorite challenge in the series. Outside of the bosses, however, it suffered the same flaws as Swap Force did, and quickly became a drag in the other modes. I played through it many times, though, and will probably do it again in the future.

Superchargers, despite it's rap, is probably my second favorite in general, due to it's intriguing story line and balanced gameplay when you use the Superchargers themselves. I always felt like that, outside of the Vehicles, this Nightmare mode was toned down compared to previous installments. It felt too easy, even with Fiesta. Then again, by this point I was an experienced player, many Nightmare STT Kaos fights under my belt. Still, I liked going through it again through Nightmare, if only for the story and intriguing levels.

And now we come to Imaginators. I've only really played through the first level on Nightmare, since I had grown sick of the story by the time I wanted to do my run. However, I've tempered that with the assurance that I'll soon resolve the story issue, and once my new CCs arrive, I'll begin my run, using mainly my four brand new Imaginators, through the levels, using Senseis only in Gong Challenges. It'll be worth it, especially in the end, where Super Kaos may be a worthy competitor to STT Kaos in difficulty.
---
Skylanders Colosseum Clash
A Fanmade Skylanders Boardgame
Flame58 Blue Sparx Gems: 528
#14 Posted: 04:16:56 31/03/2017
It's a pretty decent challenge when you don't make it easy with Villains in Trap Team, Elites in Superchargers and high level Imaginators in Imaginators.
---
"Let the flames begin!"
kczportalmaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1635
#15 Posted: 09:19:28 31/03/2017
i played on nightmare mode to get the wasteland gear
and the final boss was really not that hard for me
---
go home villains your all drunk off for your G()D DVWN @5535
#16 Posted: 14:05:49 31/03/2017
Quote: SoulfulWolf
Quote: Corn_Hornet

But... how? There is no difficulty select in SSA.

Hahahahaha! My mistake. I actually started a second playthrough but moved on. I'm old, I don't remember things so good.

Quote: Bifrost
Corn_Hornet means playing Fear Eater Ghost Roaster and Undead Defender Series 1 Chop Chop only smilie

I'll see myself out.

Yes, it's "Make your own nightmare mode".

Actually I think my Ghost Roaster is set to "Fear Eater"...I used to read GameFAQs boards a lot and that was the recommended path at the time. But I think they meant for PVP.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:09:53 31/03/2017 by Corn_Hornet
#17 Posted: 15:09:53 31/03/2017
Dunno about PVP but in every game his mobility is atrocious on Fear Eater. The fact he requires small enemies constantly to make ghosts with doesn't help him against anything either.
---
#18 Posted: 17:02:54 31/03/2017 | Topic Creator
Just finished Nightmare Mode and got my Wasteland Warrior Set. No real plans to do anything else on that save. I don't know, maybe I'll try out the Nightmare Modes again once all my skylanders are maxed out. It was a real pain though. Using only senseis [and avoiding using the 9 sensei I have maxed out, as dumb as that sounds], there were at least, say, 15 deaths during both Dragon Temple and Abandoned Amusement Park (maybe even Golden Arcade too). Ironically enough, I got No Deaths on Lair of Kaos. (Still died like 7 times to the Super Kaos fight though!)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:04:43 31/03/2017 by SoulfulWolf
#19 Posted: 17:05:52 31/03/2017
I agree. I've been meaning to reset him and choose his skull charge path but I never got around to it. If I remember correctly his charge had gotten nerfed in Giants so I just left him that way.

I think the idea was that in PvP he could become ethereal and avoid taking a lot of damage from opponents with slower, high-damage moves.
JohnnySmasher42 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3063
#20 Posted: 20:51:46 01/04/2017
I am at the point where anything below nightmare just isn't hard enough. No matter what game I always play Nightmare regardless. Like honestly if your characters are lvl 20 and fully upgraded, and you're really good at the game, it should be a blast.
---
Skylanders is dead and Activision killed it
#21 Posted: 21:17:28 01/04/2017
I had my guys maxed out and it was the opposite of a blast up to Trap Team(after that I reset everyone and they're usually around 15). I don't like going through 5 of them in a single level, I like being challenged and actually being given time to rethink the strategy, switch guys around, take some steps back instead of 2hkos.
---
Dahvoo Emerald Sparx Gems: 3914
#22 Posted: 17:45:36 03/04/2017
Finished Nightmare mode on Switch this past weekend to get the Wasteland Warrior parts on that system.

Went back and did the Gong Battle in the last level which I've heard is the hardest on Nightmare. Might just keep going and get three stars on all levels for my Nightmare save too.
---
SSA: 37/37; SG: 99/99; SSF: 174/174; STT: 254/254 & 59/59 Traps; SSC: 294/294 & 32/32 Vehicles; SI: 338/339 & 29/34 Crystals. MAX Imaginator Level: 59
Pokelander Green Sparx Gems: 424
#23 Posted: 08:35:24 06/04/2017
Never did understand why people NEED to 100% any game. I'm a huge Gamer/Collector and I'm lucky if I get through 10 hrs of a game anymore. Granted I'm getting old and my Ocd/Add gets the best of me at times, but imo it's all about weather or not the experience was worth the money you put into it? And for skylanders I say yes. Even though I never 100% the game I have beaten all of them and have gone above and beyond the initial replay value. With all that said I will be unlocking everything in this game since gear is incredibly valuable.
JCat Yellow Sparx Gems: 1540
#24 Posted: 03:58:34 14/04/2017
I guess put me more down for C. I do enjoy nightmare mode and really, the only prize for completing it I've cared about was the one for Imaginators, and that's just because I wanted to completly get all the parts (which I have all but the new ones now smilie )

However, I have to say my expierence with nightmare mode is a little different per each game I think. I believe I've played through all the games in nightmare mode except for Trap team... The reason for that is I've only played through Trap team 2ce, I think. My memory of back then is a bit fuzzy but I know I did a 'favorites' Marathon not to long ago and got to SuperChargers before I stopped going the highest I could on the system I was on before I dropped the difficulty because I got tired of my more favorite ones being KO'd so fast. But that's a different story.

Anyways, I enjoy the extra challenge but well, from what I remember of Giants Nightmare mode (even played to Kastle Kaos recently) and I gotta say, it's really not that hard. from the well, non-nightmare version. Just gotta watch out on attacks a bit more and really I found that to be the case for all of them....until imaginators. Aside for Imaginators too, Supercharagers was the only one that gave me trouble.. and it was only the last time I played through nightmare mode... well, it still gave me trouble but eh, I just found it more challenging and ugh... don't get me started on how annoying it was for a vehicle during a boss fight to run out of it's shield... ugh.. that was evil!!

Anyways, again it's fun for a chellenge but I don't really care for the hats or anything that you get by completing it.
---
Main Team: smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
~N~
Fireworks Emerald Sparx Gems: 3094
#25 Posted: 17:02:25 14/04/2017
C. for Giants, Swap Force and Supercharger. I really don't care for the hats, especially when you can just buy the Knight Helm in Swap Force and the Volcano Hat becomes useless in Trap Team. I'm not even sure if we get anything in Superchargers.
However I do like the extra challenge when my Skylanders are fully upgraded and they can run over Hard mode without too much problems. Though I admit I've only played Swap Force to the end on Nightmare so far.

D. for Trap Team. Oh boy, there's no way I'm gonna bother with the hellish bosses like Pepper Jack, Wolfgang or Kaos just for a hat. The game already has enough balance issues to give many Skylanders troubles just on Hard mode and I don't see the fun in playing through the game using only villains and a few OP Trap Masters because everyone else get wrecked in seconds on Nightmare.

A. or B. for Imaginators. I haven't unlocked Nightmare mode yet (waiting for the last Senseis to play through the whole game) so I don't know if I'm gonna like it or not. But for once the Imaginators parts you unlocks are worth it for me.
---
Don't mind me, I'm just not a very talkative person.
Chompy-King257 Gold Sparx Gems: 2956
#26 Posted: 17:21:06 14/04/2017
B.
I don't enjoy it, I'm only doing it to get all the sets. In fact, I always just speed-run through the levels.
---
i made the "bus" look like my "dad"
Sworn2Skylands Yellow Sparx Gems: 1353
#27 Posted: 18:24:38 21/04/2017
To answer the poll, I think A would be the most accurate for me. Easy and normal mode just aren't doing it for me anymore and that being said, nightmare mode play is a real boon, since it makes playing the game interesting again. To put this into context, I haven't started a Skylanders game on normal difficulty since Skylanders SWAP Force, on the grounds that I found normal (and easy, when I tried it) difficulty play too boring and believed I could do better. And I'm glad I did, because I had more fun when I switched to doing hard and nightmare difficulty play. I like it better when battles have more substance and enemies don't collapse after a few hits. The only downside of nightmare mode play is that some Skylanders just don't cut it there, but it's not like I can't go back to hard difficulty to use them again.

So yes, I like nightmare mode difficulty. It keeps the game fun for me.
Quid Yellow Sparx Gems: 1577
#28 Posted: 08:31:35 22/04/2017
I only switch to nightmare if I'm having no issues on hard and think it'll be fun. Rewards aren't a huge draw for me, while I do like collecting hats/parts/whatever if it ain't gonna be fun doing so, ain't gonna do it. I think I've only done so on Superchargers, which I pretty much just play on Nightmare when on foot (but I'll drop down for the vehicle sections, ugh). Never bothered with TT because it sounds like I won't enjoy it from what people have said on this forum. I haven't played much Swap Force past the storyline (newer and shiner games came out), and never started a second playthough on Giants, though Giants Nightmare sounds interesting. I should give it a try sometime.

Essentially, if the harder mode in a game introduces more strategy or forces you to think, then it sounds fun for me to play. But if it dissolves into 'do the same thing, but now it'll take twice as long' (i.e. increasing enemy health), or 'do the same thing, but your mistakes are going to be punished a lot more' (one-shot kills), then part of my brain thinks, what's the point? Of course, increasing enemy health and attack is not bad in and of itself, and most great hard modes will include those two things (One-shot kills can create an interesting dodging strategy, for example). But when the majority of the difficulty comes from such adjustments, it can end up with a mode that feels frustrating and not fun.
#29 Posted: 09:02:21 22/04/2017 | Topic Creator
So, I decided to go crazy and re-buy all my old skylanders again, meaning my army will reach the mid 300s of figures. [Now with 31 Imaginators!] Wish me luck on some of the harder to get stuff.

The reason I'm saying this here is because if I'm doing that, I might as well try and COMPLETE the games again too. So, that means playing through Nightmare Mode again. This time on all the games. Maybe I'll share my experiences on this thread after I finally start that...

Probably not. I'll probably just save it for Youtube. Or a Stream.
Hexin_Wishes Yellow Sparx Gems: 1522
#30 Posted: 15:17:11 25/04/2017
My issue with Skylanders has always been how easy it was so that's why I picked Nightmare mode for Superchargers. I mean, I've amasssed a nice collection so why not.

Thing is, I like to focus on leveling up characters to at least Lvl 10 before I move on and I really can't do it on Nightmare since the game mows through 15 figures of various levels! I think I'm gonna have to bump it down, I'd rather have a relaxing yet challenging time than an absurd 2 hit KO fest with that heinous camera.
emeraldzoroark Platinum Sparx Gems: 5357
#31 Posted: 20:48:27 25/04/2017
My experience with Nightmare Mode in each game in a nutshell:
Giants: Most fair out of all of them
Swap Force: Also challenging
Trap Team: Mass genocide
Superchargers: Meh, I guess
Imaginators: OCs? More like OP!
---
Soon.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me