darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Swap Force > Portal Masters using Portals on themselves
Page 1 of 1
Portal Masters using Portals on themselves
MugoUrth Ripto Gems: 3234
#1 Posted: 18:18:31 16/03/2017 | Topic Creator
One big gripe I always see concerning Kaos' Mom is the fact that while facing her she uses the portal on herself to go out and send attacks, despite it being completely established by Glumshanks in the second game that Portal Masters cannot use portals on themselves, despite the fact that Kaos just did on himself in the second game. The theory that maybe Earthen portals are different from the portals in Skylands is pretty much debunked by the fact that Kaos used an Earthen Portal on himself to return home, so the only real explanation on why it could POSSIBLY work for Kaos and his mother is because they have magical abilities that actually allow them to use portals on themselves or something.

...It gets worse, though. When fighting Kaos' Mother, she will often disappear and the only way to find her, pretty much when you think about it, is to use your own portal on YOURSELF! The whole deal with portal masters not being able to use portals on themselves was as a way of bringing the Skylands universe to the real world: like it's supposed to be a universe that actually exists and the portal's are gateways that portal masters cannot use, but you are god: YOU are the one that controls the fate of their world. The whole idea that Skylands exists somewhere in the real world was somewhat broken in Giants, and completely shattered in Swap Force.
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9988
#2 Posted: 18:24:42 16/03/2017
Plot holes, plot holes, whatcha gonna do

We already know the answer to this though, SF was made in very misguided ideas of what the franchise was(compare SC concepts to SF, before they wanted to even change the logo), and VV just didn't care for lore because they didn't think much of it. Thank god they got back on track for their next game, even if it was their last.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
#3 Posted: 18:40:50 16/03/2017 | Topic Creator
Quote: Bifrost
Plot holes, plot holes, whatcha gonna do

We already know the answer to this though, SF was made in very misguided ideas of what the franchise was(compare SC concepts to SF, before they wanted to even change the logo), and VV just didn't care for lore because they didn't think much of it. Thank god they got back on track for their next game, even if it was their last.

One thing I don't get, though, is Kaos being able to use an Earthen Portal in Giants.
#4 Posted: 19:24:31 16/03/2017
But that's the canon - PMs can use any portal, not just on themselves; Mask of Power also had that. SF is the one that screwed it up since it would imply we could enter at will; and for a kids' series it's immersion breaking.
---
#5 Posted: 22:55:10 16/03/2017 | Topic Creator
But I still don't get it. Why was it alright for Kaos to use it on himself on Earth, but not for Mother Kaos to use it in the Skylands?
#6 Posted: 23:09:52 16/03/2017
I said it, it's a plot hole. VV wanted this cool reveal and disregarded estabilished plot.

Also, it wasn't alright, Kaos got some crazy magic electrocution and caused storms in Skylands.
---
#7 Posted: 23:11:22 16/03/2017 | Topic Creator
Quote: Bifrost
I said it, it's a plot hole. VV wanted this cool reveal and disregarded estabilished plot.

Also, it wasn't alright, Kaos got some crazy magic electrocution and caused storms in Skylands.

But the fact he was still able to go through it still kind of raised some questions.
Dark fhoenix Emerald Sparx Gems: 3166
#8 Posted: 09:18:38 17/03/2017
Quote:
But the fact he was still able to go through it still kind of raised some questions.

Kaos and his mum are DARK portal Masters and native to Skylands . They dont summon that many skylanders to work for them preferring trolls or greebles . They also own the Super Rare Employee Only Christmas Bonus Themed Chase Variant Kaos Elites Titan Skylander Hydra and Titan Skylander Fire Serpent .

These two seem to have more magic spells . It takes a planet full of Portal Masters to bring these two Dark Portal masters down and only one at a time .
I would imagine abusing portal laws to be easy for them

Your average Portal Master from the planet Dirt has the potential depending on his talent / seas of gold to summon hundreds of skylanders one after the other , a dozen spells and a few war machines .
---
Hey Skylander your health is low and we have a chainsaw
Muffin Man Platinum Sparx Gems: 5348
#9 Posted: 18:27:52 02/09/2017
Yeah I wouldn't call it a plothole when the point is that we, the normal human portal masters from earth, obviously can't travel through our portals into the game world. Kaos and his mom are dark portal masters who have many powers that we do not, they aren't the same as us.
---
Boop me if you see this.
#10 Posted: 14:09:55 03/09/2017 | Topic Creator
Quote: Muffin Man
Yeah I wouldn't call it a plothole when the point is that we, the normal human portal masters from earth, obviously can't travel through our portals into the game world. Kaos and his mom are dark portal masters who have many powers that we do not, they aren't the same as us.

There's one problem with that theory, though. You have to, basically, use the portal on yourself to find Kaos's Mother in the battle against her.
#11 Posted: 14:35:56 03/09/2017
You can look at the portal, not cross it. We don't even fit in one to begin with; while anything crossing from Skylands gets smol.

And yeah, Dark Portal Masters are way more powerful; we can't really shoot magic or anything and Eon played defensively in the books. However, the sheer lack of side effects with Kaossandra is the issue since the lore was ignored entirely rather than "oh look, she's real powerful, she even ignores the rules!"
---
Dark fhoenix Emerald Sparx Gems: 3166
#12 Posted: 15:19:19 03/09/2017
Quote:
You have to, basically, use the portal on yourself to find Kaos's Mother in the battle against her.

I recall pulling off my skylander from the portal but that was it .
---
Hey Skylander your health is low and we have a chainsaw
Muffin Man Platinum Sparx Gems: 5348
#13 Posted: 17:21:12 03/09/2017
Quote: MugoUrth
Quote: Muffin Man

There's one problem with that theory, though. You have to, basically, use the portal on yourself to find Kaos's Mother in the battle against her.

If that counts as using the portal on ourselves then technically we've been doing it since the first game, since it just involves us seeing inside the portal the same way we always do when removing figures from the game.
---
Boop me if you see this.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me