darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Swap Force > Anyone else have strange feelings about the final boss.
Page 1 of 1
Anyone else have strange feelings about the final boss.
MugoUrth Ripto Gems: 3234
#1 Posted: 21:14:21 15/03/2017 | Topic Creator
The final boss, like the first two games, is Kaos. First game it was him, his evil Outlanders and his Hydra, next it was him as a giant robot, and in this game it's a colossal Petrified Darkness Kaos Golem. ...But...

The first two parts feel like they came from the darkest minds. The first part feels like it was created by a foot fetishist. Kaos slams his giant, ugly feet down while talking about how powerful his feet are. I feel this section might not be as gross if he didn't mention his feet so much. You have to destroy the crystals on his ugly toes. Yuck!

...And then the second part was created by a vore fetishist. Your sent into Kaos' mouth and have to destroy the crystals on his teeth, all while once again Kaos uses less than pleasant and suspiciously awkward quotes about eating as he shoves Gear Golems and Chompy Rustbuds into his mouth. Both these parts feel so weird and over the top that it's kind of uncomfortable.

Next, you're sent into his brain where he summons his minions. Honestly, this section scares me because of how ridiculously easy parts of it are. First he summons Evilized Glumshanks and his tank who drives around the circle before driving off it and dying. It's supposed to be a joke, but I found it to be kind of scary. Then he summons some giant minions. ...Okay, they're kind of tough. Do damage, he summons more minions, then do more damage and he summons... Kaos Headed Sheep. This part also scared me due to the sheer patheticness of the difficulty.

The actual damage dealing parts are scarily easy as well, as the first and second part, in my opinion, give you too much time to do damage before he sends out attacks. Yeah, he may get one or two hits in, but not much more then that. The third part is a little better, but still pretty easy. In all seriousness, this whole bossfight isn't a cakewalk, there is definitely some difficult moments, but the fact that certain parts of it were way too easy freaked me out.

And then, the fourth and final part which is the shortest part, but can be a bit difficult. He blasts streams of evilized fire at you while you run to a cannon. ...Not much to say about this except for the fact that the first time I did this whole thing, the game glitched up when Grilla Blade (who I was using at the time) got in the cannon and it never fired off no matter how much I pounded the buttons. I had to start the whole fight over.

Anyone else feel similarly about Kaos in this game.
Dark fhoenix Emerald Sparx Gems: 3166
#2 Posted: 21:29:51 15/03/2017
It was rather as easy as Giants I would say . I dont have a problem with easy . Its probably harder to beat if you dont play with swoppers .

I did not think the foot part was gross . he is a giant we are bugs , stepping on us is logical . I think his skinny legs wierded me out more . Thats the main thing i recall from the foot stomp . Those legs...

The grabbing us and popping us into his mouth made no sense . I mean , he grabbed us . Why not crush or toss us instead of putting us into his mouth ?
---
Hey Skylander your health is low and we have a chainsaw
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:37:28 07/04/2017 by Dark fhoenix
#3 Posted: 22:59:19 15/03/2017 | Topic Creator
It might also be harder on Nightmare mode. The boss is actually pretty tough if you're playing a one-and-only challenge.
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9943
#4 Posted: 23:05:17 15/03/2017
Never liked how disturbing and childish the boss is, tbh. A final boss as a Kaos Kaiju thing coursing with pure evil should be awesome, especially with previous Evilized bosses. What we get is a super pathetic looking boss that's just big with very little aesthetically pleasing changes, and the phases are retty much as you describe. The fact it also goes with "ha ha Kaos is dumb look at his small brain" on the supposed climax of the game is also a huuuge ice breaker.

Oh yeah, QTE final phase that reuses music. But compared to the rest of the fight it's barely a problem. In a word, really bad end to a game I'm already not so interested to begin with. Even Emperor Kaos and Super Kaos weren't exactly good boss designs, you still felt the action and the seriousness of the moment.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:07:22 15/03/2017 by Bifrost
#5 Posted: 09:33:16 16/03/2017 | Topic Creator
Quote: Bifrost
Never liked how disturbing and childish the boss is, tbh. A final boss as a Kaos Kaiju thing coursing with pure evil should be awesome, especially with previous Evilized bosses. What we get is a super pathetic looking boss that's just big with very little aesthetically pleasing changes, and the phases are retty much as you describe. The fact it also goes with "ha ha Kaos is dumb look at his small brain" on the supposed climax of the game is also a huuuge ice breaker.

Oh yeah, QTE final phase that reuses music. But compared to the rest of the fight it's barely a problem. In a word, really bad end to a game I'm already not so interested to begin with. Even Emperor Kaos and Super Kaos weren't exactly good boss designs, you still felt the action and the seriousness of the moment.

You're kind of right. There wasn't that sense that "Yeah, Kaos is an egotistical midget, but he's still dangerous," that we had in other games. The whole brain part was pretty failerific. The only remotely difficult part were the first two minion segments, and they're ONLY difficult if you don't use a Skylander with a reliable knockback ability.

Likewise, I disliked how the game felt the need to introduce a majority of it's enemies with some dumb joke that makes them seem incompetent. That plus Kaos' brain helped dispel most sense of danger and seriousness the game could have had.
#6 Posted: 09:42:09 16/03/2017
Kinda reminds me of Bwoser's dream from Mario and Luigi: Dream Team actually. The series has long estabilished that Bowser's pretty dumb and only puts his mind towards warmongering in that canon, yet when you go into his mind, things are simple, but he still warped the world into a hellhole of lava and spikes with danger at every corner.
That's pretty much how you don't break the ice: Kaos doesn't have to be a genius(even if he's knowledgeable of magitek but the series forgot that after SSA), but he's very, very aggressive and cunning. Destructive plans and daydreams that don't work are still things you can imagine. Even if they kept his brain kinda small for that weird void arena, I'd just make it what he imagines to be a throne room to all of Skylands with all the flair and doom he loves so much, for example.
---
#7 Posted: 16:02:45 18/03/2017 | Topic Creator
Just, the more I think about that brain part, the more it fails. There was just so much wasted potential.

If there is one nice thing I can say about the fight, Kaos actually shows some competency in the last part. Most bosses who use a large beam of something generally aim where you were when the attack started. Kaos more intelligently blasts his beam of evilized fire infront of you in order to cut you off. I've managed to outspeed him a few times as Free Buckler, but eventually he wised up. Still, the cannon is just inexplicable. How did that get there. I also have to wonder if they even fought inside the Volcano since it feels like the fight takes place in a completely different area.
#8 Posted: 16:11:04 18/03/2017
It is in Cloudbreak Core supposedly since the place is big, but it's a really nonindicative name. Same for Motherly Mayhem being the actual Kaos' Fortress when that level is just the defenses around it.

On the brain, I think I'll just take Skylanders Academy's interpretation of it that having metaphysical magic did some weird stuff to it. Much easier to stomach barbarian Kaos fantasies and the sci-fi looking neurons.
---
#9 Posted: 17:16:11 07/04/2017 | Topic Creator
The whole problem with the entire fight is that it gives you the impression that Kaos has acquired incredible powers, but fortunately for the Skylanders he is too much of an idiot to make any real use of them.

I've been thinking of ways I could possibly improve on the boss. First, I agree with Dark fhoenix a bit in that the foot section actually does sorta make sense, but if I were to make a stage like that, I would do without some of the grosser quotes and make him smarter. The double stomp would come sooner, and instead of stomping the same location twice, he would bring his foot closer to you the second time. I could even imagine a triple stomp part. He would leave his foot vulnerable for less time, but he would take less hits.

When he grabs you, he WON'T throw you in his mouth, which would give him no reason to say "I need more iron in my diet" or "Chewy!" Instead, he would then try to squeeze the life out of you, and you may take damage if in his grasp too long, but if you mash a button that appears on screen quick enough you will avoid damage. Then, instead of being sent into his mouth, you'd be sent to a higher plane where he would summon a spell or two by snapping his fingers, which could summon some raining projectiles like the ones Evilized Whiskers/Cluck used, or he could summon some minions. Eventually he would smash his fist down and you would have to attack his fist. This could go on for a few rounds before he tries to grab you again. Same as last time, mash the button then escape his grasp. You end up being sent into the air and into his ear.

Instead of seeing his ridiculously small brain right away, you'd see darkness. ...right before a giant pair of eyes open up to reveal a larger, easier to take seriously, evilized Kaos brain. He then summons Glumshanks who, instead of driving in a preset pattern before going off the cliff, would drive right after you and eventually stop to throw bombs at you, eventually throwing dynamite you can use against him. Do that about three times then he summon the Grumblebum Thrashers and Boom Bosses, and when you knock the crystals loose, they take much longer to come onto the stage, allowing him to rain missiles down on you for a bit. Next he will say "I've lost my train of thought. ...Ooh! An evil train! Interesting." And boom, an evil train comes and drives across the stage several times, sometimes spewing out lava rocks from its chimney. Eventually the train disappears and he summons the Arkaeyan Riproters and Cyclops Gazermages. And since I crack up every time I hear "♪Flooooating aWAAAY on my♫ evil... ...♪aaaaairships!♫" I'm going to keep the airship bit, but the cannonballs explode into smaller cannonballs and they effect more areas than just the middle of the stage.

Finally, the sheep summon would be completely removed, instead replaced with a giant Fire Viper with Kaos' head. He would summon flaming obstacles and lob boulders of magma, but eventually one would leave a rock behind that you can chuck at Kaos Viper's head to bring him down and do damage to him. Do this three times and then he will summon the puppet bombs. Smash the three crystals and head to the final part, which is similar to what it already is but a bit longer and you have to deal with a few fairly strong enemies on the way who would be fully effected and die by Kaos' fireblasts.

...And that's all she wrote. I call it "Cloudbreak Core: MugoUrth's Director's Cut."
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 17:19:58 07/04/2017 by MugoUrth
#10 Posted: 17:20:37 07/04/2017
I still think his design could be improved as a whole before that, though. All the Evilized creatures are messy, but interesting looking since the crystals and the rocks make patterns in their bodies. Kaos is literally an enlarged model with rock texture, because he does indeed have twig legs and arms. If he actually looked monstrous, even if goofy or ridiculously edgy, the boss fight as a whole would also be really memorable.

Something along the lines of Super Sayian Kaos actually, which is a good example of the opposite - he has the right design, right arena, right aesthetics... But it's a game that doesn't take itself seriously, and you have him bickering towards a guy you can't even see for most of the fight. Might as well have had something simpler.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:02:36 07/04/2017 by Bifrost
#11 Posted: 23:53:11 07/04/2017 | Topic Creator
Quote: Bifrost
I still think his design could be improved as a whole before that, though. All the Evilized creatures are messy, but interesting looking since the crystals and the rocks make patterns in their bodies. Kaos is literally an enlarged model with rock texture, because he does indeed have twig legs and arms. If he actually looked monstrous, even if goofy or ridiculously edgy, the boss fight as a whole would also be really memorable.

Something along the lines of Super Sayian Kaos actually, which is a good example of the opposite - he has the right design, right arena, right aesthetics... But it's a game that doesn't take itself seriously, and you have him bickering towards a guy you can't even see for most of the fight. Might as well have had something simpler.

Speaking of which, the Evilized Kangarats are bad***. I almost don't like defeating them and reverting them back into their lame*** normal form because they look so cool evilized. ...They could have afforded being harder too. I agree, those twig-like legs were very dumb. His arms are actually kind of thick, though.
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5016
#12 Posted: 17:20:54 08/04/2017
Quote:
feels like it was created by a foot fetishist.

LOL....!
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
#13 Posted: 19:32:20 22/04/2017 | Topic Creator
One thing I forgot to mention. It's okay to have certain jokes in a fight, but in a final boss, I do NOT think jokes should be used as actual moves, by that I mean jokes that are barely threatening and are used to make the boss seem moronic. Like, the final boss in Giants had jokes, but they were NOT used in that way. Like, the part with pressing the "avalanche button" in Giants, THAT was only used as part of a "Final Boss is defeated! ...or is he?" type joke. Even the part where Machine Ghost was pinning Robo-Kaos' head down was just Kaos losing the battle after work and effort from the goodguys had been used, and he was STILL able to use his moves.

...But in Swap Force, both the Glumshanks summon and the Kaos Sheep were basically "Ultimate Undead Spell of Complete and Utter Destruction"s: non-threatening attacks used as a joke to make the villain seem less competent. Even the part where he starts singing "♪Flooooating aWAAAY on my♫ evil... ...♪aaaaairships!♫ ...and smashing things. That's a nice thought." as much as it makes me laugh, still made him seem like a complete tool.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:32:55 22/04/2017 by MugoUrth
emeraldzoroark Platinum Sparx Gems: 5357
#14 Posted: 22:19:50 22/04/2017
Ok, but try get all three stars. Took me a while.
---
Soon.
#15 Posted: 22:25:59 22/04/2017 | Topic Creator
Quote: emeraldzoroark
Ok, but try get all three stars. Took me a while.

You got me there. As disappointing as this boss is, even on Easy mode, beating him without taking damage is no easy feet.
emeraldzoroark Platinum Sparx Gems: 5357
#16 Posted: 22:30:21 22/04/2017
I felt the Fire Viper was the hardest, followed closely by Mesmerelda. Kaos' Mother was kinda tricky too, and Glumshanks... he tried.
---
Soon.
#17 Posted: 22:36:51 22/04/2017 | Topic Creator
I dunno. ...I managed to do it against Mesmerelda no problem. ...Of course I probably just got lucky. I can't imagine I managed to no-damage a boss who sends attacks from all directions and leaves few crevices to dodge in by anything more than luck.
#18 Posted: 18:47:53 28/04/2017 | Topic Creator
You know, I originally said this boss wasn't a pushover, but...

The only real tricky parts were the Tech and Air Geargolem combo in Kaos' mouth and the giant minions in his brain. The Tech Geargolem can do big damage if your not careful, and the Air Geargolem can disrupt your movement, making it harder to dodge the Tech Geargolem's attacks. The giant Grumblebum Thrashers have long reach, and their size makes it easy for them to crowd you, allowing the Giant Boom Bosses and their unpredictable cannons to have easy shots at you, but the Boom Bosses kegs are tricky to dodge in general. The Giant Arkaeyan Riproters and Giant Cyclops Gazermages are tricky too, since the vantage point is more horizontal, making the Gazerbeams harder to read. ...Other then that, the fight's a breeze. I fought him on Nightmare with Spyro, and it only took me TWO tries to beat him. Kaos' Hydragon in the first game took three.

I'd argue even without adjustable difficulty, the Hydragon was tougher, especially having to deal with some of the minion segments. The one with Ghost Roaster, Zap and Stealth Elf was a pain, as Ghost Roaster was quick and powerful, and it was difficult to get a good shot at him while dealing with the others, while Zap had quick, accurate attacks himself. Even worse was the Chop Chop, Sunburn and Zook section since both Chop Chop and Sunburn were powerful and had moves that were tricky to dodge when fighting them in a group. Even the Hydragon had its own moves that were difficult to deal with. Super Evil Kaos just didn't have many moves that weren't easily predictable and easily dodge-able.
Kevin16 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4524
#19 Posted: 17:15:11 29/11/2017
I know right, dunno which one was more stupid, the evilized Kaos or the super sayan Kaos...
---
what even is this site anymore lmao
#20 Posted: 18:26:27 29/11/2017
Quote: Kevin16
I know right, dunno which one was more stupid, the evilized Kaos or the super sayan Kaos...

Super Saiyan Blue Kaos is cool stupid - they did the over the top villain design much better in there because it's a lot of unpratical acessories, even if it's such a far-out there reference.
When it comes to themes though, spare me the unbearable dubstep, I'll take The Necropolis anytime.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:28:05 29/11/2017 by Bifrost
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me