First | Page 2 of 2
1 2
What missteps has Skylanders made?
kaosmumishot Emerald Sparx Gems: 3271
#51 Posted: 03:44:42 16/12/2016
Quote: Drawdler
^ That speed up was actually only in the HD versions, not the Wii one.

Also, another one: the time goal system in TFB's games was always stupid to me because you couldn't see your current time without pausing and checking the objectives menu. I think SF's time attack did that idea mostly right (it shouldn't have had any unskippable cutscenes, they were a pain when you were in the middle of an intense run and made it much more tiring to race against your times) and should've been kept instead of returning to the dumb time goal system from the first two games.

Heroics should've provided stat boosts in TT and SI too. Very frustrating that this game completely wipes SA ones.

I personally like that I can't see what the time is. I go flat out and then wait to see if the third star comes up. It's very exciting. Although in SI the time challenges were pretty ordinary. Some of them were way to easy to achieve.
Duke Spike Yellow Sparx Gems: 1669
#52 Posted: 07:16:19 17/12/2016
No remakes of SSA and SG.
PvP ain't coming back any time.
Superchargers exists.
The Skylander Boy and Girl are in the credits of Imaginators.
Co-op is horrendous.

I could go on...
---
Off to be a Globetrotter somewhere else...
ChillStealthElf Yellow Sparx Gems: 1864
#53 Posted: 08:00:58 17/12/2016
Quote: Duke Spike
No remakes of SSA and SG.
PvP ain't coming back any time.
Superchargers exists.
The Skylander Boy and Girl are in the credits of Imaginators.
Co-op is horrendous.

I could go on...

I will never understand why people obsess over PVP....

I also agree that anything to do with Skylander Boy & Girl is a misstep...they're so freaking obnoxious & irritating
Wishblade Emerald Sparx Gems: 3262
#54 Posted: 23:37:04 21/12/2016
After some more thought, I'm coming back to someone's previous comment: lack of advertising. Imaginators is so good, they could have done more ads and brought the franchise back to life.

That, money-grabbing, and Superchargers have done them in.
---
Any last wishes?
Fire_Fiesta Green Sparx Gems: 393
#55 Posted: 05:01:14 29/12/2016
If I were to give my point view on how the Skylanders franchise was killed, I would just like to say the first thing that they messed up with was Swap Force. Even though it may have been the best selling game of the franchise, it definitely was very different compared to the original Skylanders formula at the time. That's also why the community first began to shrink (for the first time) during the Swap Force days. Next thing they mess up with, battle mode. I believe that battle mode was actually a part of why Skylanders began to die mainly because if you were to look at the revenue, you'd notice that between Trap Team and Superchargers, there was a -50+%. This most likely meant that the younger or out-of-touch audience that bought Trap Team was expecting battle mode, when all they really got was Kaos mode, causing them to get tired of the game by February and abandoning it for Nintendo, which was beginning to rise, again, at the time of Trap Team. Final thing I believe that killed the Skylanders franchise was Superchargers. First bad thing that had happened with the game that had created some negative momentum to dramatically increase, the announcement. For some people, when they first heard or saw about the Skylanders racing game, they didn't really find interest or like the idea of it (ex, during the leak, people got upset, including me, when first hearing Sky Five's name, thinking it was basically going to be Mariokart, which it basically was but with less racing). That was also a contributed on the -50+% between Trap Team and Superchargers. If I were to continue on with Superchargers, they had also screwed up with this final thing. Gameplay. Yes, simple as that, gameplay. It was different, dull and boring, just like Swap Force (wow, thanks Vicarious Visions) making people feel bored, helping to cause more people to stop playing, along with making the community literally dead for a few depressing months. While there are still many other contributors towards the decline of Skylanders, such as poor quality advertisements and the method they chose to deliever the TV series, I would just like to wrap things up here. Good day smilie
*Btw, during SSA, figures were sold for $9.99 in America, not $7.99, you're welcome smilie
LordElohim Yellow Sparx Gems: 1811
#56 Posted: 08:58:23 29/12/2016
Quote: Fire_Fiesta

<snip>
*Btw, during SSA, figures were sold for $9.99 in America, not $7.99, you're welcome smilie

No. The figures for Spyro's Adventure started out at $7.99. They later increased to $9.99 a few weeks later, or maybe even during wave 2 or wave 3. Given time, I would even be able to prove this, as I keep all of my receipts, I just do not necessarily recall where I keep older ones. I liken this to people not remembering that the original Playstation launched at $400, not $300 as most people think. It may have only been that price for a few weeks or a few months, but I absolutely know it was that price, because I paid it.
---
Hail Sithis
avatoa Green Sparx Gems: 349
#57 Posted: 06:00:39 06/01/2017
Since everyone here has been mostly pointing out flaws in certain games(in order from most complaints to least: Superchargers, Trap Team, Swap Force, Imaginators, SA, & Giants), I found a flaw with Imaginators in regards to their Sensei characters that no one else seems to have noticed yet.

I did a spreadsheet based on Element, Battle class, and Already Good or Reformed Evil and found a startling conclusion. You know how in the previous games there have been at least two Already Good characters associated with each element? Well in Imaginators, they changed the formula by adding actual fully playable Villain characters as well as switched character grouping from Element to Battle Class and since there are only 10 Battle Classes, when you add in the reformed villains as senseis' there should approximately originally 30 Sensei characters (2 that are Already Good along with 1 Reformed Villain for each Class; in short: 3 Sensei's per Class meaning 3 x 10 = 30), not counting Kaos as well as Crash and Cortex at first but they would make the total 33.

However, as I said, after careful calculation we have only 31 Sensei characters (including the 3 bonus characters) instead of the assumed 33 meaning we are short two characters that we were supposed to get!!! And who were these characters you ask?? Through researching matchups on alignment with Battle Class, I have found that we are short one Already Good Bazooker Sensei as well as one Already Good Quickshot Sensei. After further review, I also found that the programmers didn't put in a Fire Element Reformed Villain Sensei and instead put in a second Magic Element one. I mean they could have brought in Chef Pepper Jack to be a Fire Smasher Sensei instead of Pain Yatta, but they didn't.

This clear lack of balancing amongst their own game mechanics further shows in addition to the other complaints about later games in the series made earlier in this thread, that there is no coordination at all in either Activision or Toys For Bob production companies amongst the different departments that create the games anymore if they can't seem to remember their previous character grouping formulas, which is just sad and stupid.
4inCreation Gold Sparx Gems: 2989
#58 Posted: 07:54:35 06/01/2017
^Second Magic Element Villain?

Not sure why you're excluding Crash and Cortex, but we did get 3x10 elemental characters. That's basically how SuperChargers was handled with 2x10 characters. That's more rounded than Trap Team with only 18+18 new characters. Don't forget the introduction of Light and Dark has always shorted the count. The elements are kind of mixed up from Trap Team to Imaginators, but does it really matter when switching from villain to sensei? Besides no fire villain, we're also missing a water villain. That's kind of quirky since they balance each other out. I think the lineup is pretty sweet though.

However, since this topic is about missteps... I do think there could easily have been a set number of characters for each element and battle class. The odd life crystal is also pretty weird.

One of the biggest disappointments for me was the drop in paint details. For example - seeing Super Gulp Pop Fizz with blue claws just left me feeling... blue.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 07:56:18 06/01/2017 by 4inCreation
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#59 Posted: 13:42:21 06/01/2017
Light and Dark elements are shorted a Sensei, hence the 31. Last year they got a Supercharger, but not a returning character. They treat those two elements a bit more "special" than the others.
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#60 Posted: 16:14:54 06/01/2017
Quote: avatoa
Since everyone here has been mostly pointing out flaws in certain games(in order from most complaints to least: Superchargers, Trap Team, Swap Force, Imaginators, SA, & Giants), I found a flaw with Imaginators in regards to their Sensei characters that no one else seems to have noticed yet.

I did a spreadsheet based on Element, Battle class, and Already Good or Reformed Evil and found a startling conclusion. You know how in the previous games there have been at least two Already Good characters associated with each element? Well in Imaginators, they changed the formula by adding actual fully playable Villain characters as well as switched character grouping from Element to Battle Class and since there are only 10 Battle Classes, when you add in the reformed villains as senseis' there should approximately originally 30 Sensei characters (2 that are Already Good along with 1 Reformed Villain for each Class; in short: 3 Sensei's per Class meaning 3 x 10 = 30), not counting Kaos as well as Crash and Cortex at first but they would make the total 33.

However, as I said, after careful calculation we have only 31 Sensei characters (including the 3 bonus characters) instead of the assumed 33 meaning we are short two characters that we were supposed to get!!! And who were these characters you ask?? Through researching matchups on alignment with Battle Class, I have found that we are short one Already Good Bazooker Sensei as well as one Already Good Quickshot Sensei. After further review, I also found that the programmers didn't put in a Fire Element Reformed Villain Sensei and instead put in a second Magic Element one. I mean they could have brought in Chef Pepper Jack to be a Fire Smasher Sensei instead of Pain Yatta, but they didn't.

This clear lack of balancing amongst their own game mechanics further shows in addition to the other complaints about later games in the series made earlier in this thread, that there is no coordination at all in either Activision or Toys For Bob production companies amongst the different departments that create the games anymore if they can't seem to remember their previous character grouping formulas, which is just sad and stupid.

You know we knew this for ages and don't consider this as a flaw, right?
---
Bruh
DarkPredator Gold Sparx Gems: 2276
#61 Posted: 18:21:39 06/01/2017
Quote: avatoa

...what?

Forgive me if I misunderstood, but if you researched this well then surely you came across Tae Kwon Crow, the Fire Element reformed villain? And what second Magic villain? Could you please explain?
---
"Still as silent as ever, eh?" - Blue, Pokémon Sun and Moon
#62 Posted: 18:56:35 06/01/2017
Aren't Pain Yatta and Bad Juju Magic Element Sensei's? And as for Tae Kwon Crow, the simple answer is that I thought he was an Air Element not Fire Element, but since I was shown that discovery was off by a different Element, i.e. Water, my solution still stands: why have two Villains of the same Element when your missing a full set?
#63 Posted: 19:02:15 06/01/2017
Not really. Remember my theory that they switched the character groupings from Element to Battle Class? Besides there is still a balance of Sensei characters for the Light and Dark Elements: Already Good Aurora and Reformed Blastertron for Light & Already Good Starcast and Reformed Hood Sickle for Dark. So two Sensei for both of the new Elements.
Dahvoo Emerald Sparx Gems: 3914
#64 Posted: 19:02:42 06/01/2017
Pain-Yatta is magic, Bad Juju is air. Tae Kwon Crow was changed to fire, just like Grave Clobber was changed to water and Hood Sickle to dark. There is only villain per element.

There is only one sensei each for light and dark because those elements are considered "mini" elements (mini might not be the right term, but you get the point). Just like how there is only one Trapmaster/core and one SuperCharger/vehicle for light and dark in the previous games.

And avatoa, please don't just copy and paste one of your previous posts when responding to someone else.
---
SSA: 37/37; SG: 99/99; SSF: 174/174; STT: 254/254 & 59/59 Traps; SSC: 294/294 & 32/32 Vehicles; SI: 338/339 & 29/34 Crystals. MAX Imaginator Level: 59
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 19:12:33 06/01/2017 by Dahvoo
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10026
#65 Posted: 19:04:49 06/01/2017
Bad Juju was always air, she just had an outfit change to reflect the element better.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
#66 Posted: 19:07:04 06/01/2017
Also sorry about the double post. Trial and error mixup there.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 19:13:33 06/01/2017 by Dahvoo
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10026
#67 Posted: 19:09:56 06/01/2017
Avatoa, you only need to post it once, and edit the post if no one else has.

Bad Juju is Air, Painyatta is Magic, TKC used to be Dark and is now Fire.

The villains were planned first to have one of each class, but because of the guest stars, we're lacking 2 Senseis to fill every class with 3 characters.

With High Volt aroudn I don't believe the 'dark and light have to be special' excuse one bit; both games just happen to have guest stars that change someone's element during development.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 19:11:40 06/01/2017 by Bifrost
#68 Posted: 19:18:39 06/01/2017
Quote: Dahvoo
Pain-Yatta is magic, Bad Juju is air. Tae Kwon Crow was changed to fire, just like Grave Clobber was changed to water and Hood Sickle to dark. There is only villain per element.

There is only one sensei each for light and dark because those elements are considered "mini" elements (mini might not be the right term, but you get the point). Just like how there is only one Trapmaster/core and one SuperCharger/vehicle for light and dark in the previous games.

I can't believe I forgot about Grave Clobber being a Water Element!!! Well, I feel idiotic. But the point everybody seems to be missing that I was trying to get across are the other missing Already Good Sensei characters for the Quickshot and Bazooker Battle Classes. And as for why I didn't include Kaos, Crash, and Cortex in my original count is that Kaos is both a Reformed Villain Sensei, same as Cortex, and a master of all Battle Classes & Crash is a Brawler Sensei, while Cortex is a Sorcerer Sensei. Just for the record. Also, thanks for the previous post cleanup guys. I'll get better at it as a I get more practice.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 19:22:34 06/01/2017 by avatoa
alicecarp Prismatic Sparx Gems: 12771
#69 Posted: 11:00:32 07/01/2017
Announcing a new game before every toy for the current game had been released. I remember people complained when Swap Force was announced before every Giants toy had been released.

The fact that Crash and Cortex are a brawler and a sorcerer respectively. We only have two bazookers and two quickshots, brawlers and sorcerers have four while every other class have three. I know they're guest characters, but why didn't they make Crash a bazooker and Cortex a quickshot to even it out?

Grave Clobber being another water brawler.

Creation crystals being non resettable. It's not a problem for me because I own the 3DS version of SSA so I can reset them anytime, but what about those want to reset but can't because they can't get a hold of that game?

Not that I hate/dislike Skyro's design, but I just don't get why they didn't make him look more like his original counterpart. I bet Spyro fans would've hated this series less if he did.

Older figures getting harder to find for newer players/collectors.

The developers or Activision focusing more on the toy gimmick than on innovating the gameplay.
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5023
#70 Posted: 11:19:37 07/01/2017
to many plastic figures released, that was the huge missteps.
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
First | Page 2 of 2
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me