darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Imaginators > Allegedly, Skylanders has been canceled... [Rumors]
First | Previous | Page 7 of 29 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 27 28 29
Allegedly, Skylanders has been canceled... [Rumors]
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#301 Posted: 00:19:15 20/12/2016
Reposting this from the General Discussion topic.

Regarding the "Skylanders is doomed" discussion, it's not much but today I read the first italian article about the series, and thus the toys-to-life genre being close to its end.
Sure, their only proof is that apparently 2017 won't see a new game (which I think it's pretty much confirmed by now), which doesn't immediately mean it has been cancelled, and their explanations are things like "Imaginators was the peak of the series and now it is slowly decaying".
Except the series cannot be decaying if this year's game, the latest, is it's peak.

Won't bother linking it because automatic translation may cause unnedeed panic.

So, the next game will most likely not come out next year, but we don't have any "official" confirmations other than that.
Could be a good sign in fact, letting V.V. finish the N-Sane Trilogy (the article never acknowledged them being the team responsible for the seventh game) and then allowing them to focus on Skylanders and possibly Destiny.
Maaaaybe Activision learned something.

Buuuut probably not. smilie
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
AdamGregory03 Gold Sparx Gems: 2156
#302 Posted: 00:28:50 20/12/2016
Tbh, I think even if they do make Sky 7 a 2018 game, it'll be TFB behind it. Looking back, I can see Superchargers as VV's sign off from the series, which I'd kinda be for this it would mean TFB could improve on the mechanics of Imaginators without having to worry about what VV has added or changed in their next game that they then have to translate to theirs.
---
Golden Queen did nothing wrong and she is best evil waifu.
Check this out! Please?
newkill Emerald Sparx Gems: 3975
#303 Posted: 00:34:57 20/12/2016
It's ending, stop hoping. Just put aside your love for the franchise for a second, give it some serious thought and realize it has lost its popularity. They can't afford to put ton of money in new games and printing figures anymore.
---
bye
Kevin16 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4524
#304 Posted: 01:01:47 20/12/2016
Quote: TheToyNerd
Quote: Kevin16
Why do people want a remake from a 2011 game.... its not even considered old, its barely outdated.

Have you... PLAYED Spyro's Adventure recently? Take an honest look at graphics and tell me that it wouldn't benefit from a rerelease of sorts.

The PC version seems fine to me... graphics are really good. Just a bit glitchy but thats an issue with any version except the Wii one. Trap Team feels more buggy to me...
---
what even is this site anymore lmao
#305 Posted: 01:02:46 20/12/2016
Actually...

I decided to look up a video on the subject, and apparently Imaginators sold better than Superchargers and Trap Team. Superchargers I can buy, but Trap Team too? Granted I'm thinking the guy who made the video knows just as much as we do.

Here's a link to that video, by the way. Spoilered it because the guy's got a potty mouth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHOXBOk8Uo0
---
Check this out! Please?
Kevin16 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4524
#306 Posted: 01:17:04 20/12/2016
Imaginators sold better than Trap Team... don't make me lol... that guy is cringey as heck
---
what even is this site anymore lmao
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#307 Posted: 01:21:46 20/12/2016
About releasing SSA and Giants... Yeah, the games are outdated, but c'mon, they're way too recent for remakes/remasters/whatever. Maybe in a decade.

About the merchandise, I honestly see it as a big sign.

Also, we know that Imaginators sold less than a million units as of now.
---
Bruh
#308 Posted: 01:25:35 20/12/2016
Regardless... I think that guy does make a fair point. Activision usually waits until after Christmas before making any final decisions. Considering that it's only a week away, we may actually be getting our official answer soon.

And if the game truly did still sell better than Imaginators, then I'm still gonna remain optimistic (unless proven otherwise), since they still gave it another shot despite SC selling poorly as well as paying for side content on top of that.
---
Check this out! Please?
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:27:19 20/12/2016 by AdamGregory03
GinjaNinja Gold Sparx Gems: 2604
#309 Posted: 01:27:41 20/12/2016
Quote: Crash10
About releasing SSA and Giants... Yeah, the games are outdated, but c'mon, they're way too recent for remakes/remasters/whatever. Maybe in a decade.

Last of Us Remastered begs to differ. If there is money to be made, then it's ways a possibility. But I don't ever think we will get a Skylanders remaster.
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#310 Posted: 01:30:11 20/12/2016
Quote: GinjaNinja

Last of Us Remastered begs to differ. If there is money to be made, then it's ways a possibility. But I don't ever think we will get a Skylanders remaster.

Yeah, from a business side, it makes sense. I just can't see a reason why people would want it.
---
Bruh
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#311 Posted: 01:48:26 20/12/2016
Why do people want a remake from a 2011 game.... its not even considered old, its barely outdated.

Have you... PLAYED Spyro's Adventure recently? Take an honest look at graphics and tell me that it wouldn't benefit from a rerelease of sorts.

No it wouldn't. The storyline is bland, the levels simple. You would have to re-design them to account for all the new abilities (notably jumping). If you are going to that trouble, why not just make a new game? The story in the first game is pretty standard, go to a level, find a friend that will direct you in the next level to find a McGuffin. Repeat eight times then go to the final level.

It would be great if they just released a new game (even if just digital) to use all the figures, no new gimmick, no new figures - just a new collection of story levels. They have the framework in place.
TrapGiant Blue Sparx Gems: 547
#312 Posted: 02:15:16 20/12/2016
Quote: GinjaNinja

I'm sure the LOU remaster was only because it was one of the most popular PS3 games and they had released a new console that could do better with it.
---
"Science is a horizon to search for, not a prize to hold in your hand..."-Smart Waddles
TrapGiant Blue Sparx Gems: 547
#313 Posted: 02:17:40 20/12/2016
Quote: defpally

No it wouldn't. The storyline is bland, the levels simple. You would have to re-design them to account for all the new abilities (notably jumping). If you are going to that trouble, why not just make a new game? The story in the first game is pretty standard, go to a level, find a friend that will direct you in the next level to find a McGuffin. Repeat eight times then go to the final level.

It would be great if they just released a new game (even if just digital) to use all the figures, no new gimmick, no new figures - just a new collection of story levels. They have the framework in place.

Yeah, I agree, the story maybe, but the levels would need to basically be redone entirely. Perhaps a Story pack (like LD) would benefit them.
---
"Science is a horizon to search for, not a prize to hold in your hand..."-Smart Waddles
TakeYourLemons Gold Sparx Gems: 2350
#314 Posted: 04:18:54 20/12/2016
This ain't rocket science. We haven't even sold 1/2 a million of starter kits (currently .042 on 12/19) and we are less than a week away from Christmas. I'd figured we'd be at a million now easy. So....at this rate, it will be lucky to have sold one million, which is ANOTHER 50% drop. Trap Team was slight turn south, but after that each game has fallen off a precipice).
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 04:20:40 20/12/2016 by TakeYourLemons
omer1698 Gold Sparx Gems: 2258
#315 Posted: 06:28:17 20/12/2016
If this week we will get an answoer then i should probobly prepering the grave stone smilie.
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
#316 Posted: 06:53:20 20/12/2016
They will not announce that there is no game in 2017 before the last Imaginators toys have been released.

And that announcement will probably say "no Skylanders game planned for 2017" rather than "the Skylanders series is cancelled".
---
bye
#317 Posted: 08:15:12 20/12/2016
Quote: newkill
They will not announce that there is no game in 2017 before the last Imaginators toys have been released.

And that announcement will probably say "no Skylanders game planned for 2017" rather than "the Skylanders series is cancelled".

Lets say they wil said no game is palnned for 2017, thats still dasent answer our quastion if the series is getting canned or not.
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#318 Posted: 08:56:35 20/12/2016
Maybe V.V. simply haven't started working on the game at all, yet.
I mean, it's not like they don't have anything to do and Activision may consider the N-Sane Trilogy to be like a Skylanders game, in terms of profit (hope I explained myself well).

Either way, we still have no way of knowing what Activision has in mind for sure; the only thing which is most definitely confirmed is that there won't be a new game in 2017 and that doesn't prove anything.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
spot Yellow Sparx Gems: 1528
#319 Posted: 09:09:42 20/12/2016
Quote: Drawdler
1. What did they say about Guitar Hero when that was cancelled?
2. I feel I'm starting to drill in this thought, but again, the rumor makes it sound like VV's work on the next game was totally scrapped and not just put on hold or moved to another team. Why throw that work away if they just wanted to delay the next game?

What if VV never started work on Skylanders 7 because the writing was on the wall after Supercharges and Activision actually made the decision to scrap the franchise last year but rather than waste TFB's work on Skylanders Imaginators they let them finish this game off?
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5016
#320 Posted: 10:53:04 20/12/2016

^This

if they say they have cancelled the game series, thats like shooting themselves in the foot. because they have still a lot of plastic figures to get outta the door. i dont think we will hear the word cancelled at all, the wording "no Skylanders game planned for 2017" is exactly what we will hear from them. because im sure activision will
go back to the series at some point. like after the nintendo have their switch out on the marked.
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10000
#321 Posted: 10:53:30 20/12/2016
I don't really remember Guitar Hero since it was so long ago, but it was definately something vague like "no fourth(?) game planned for the time being", followed by its devs mysteriously getting moved to other projects or laid off. Same for Guitar Hero Live, but for that game they didn't have to say anything, anyone could guess.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
#322 Posted: 11:45:48 20/12/2016
Quote: Drawdler
1. What did they say about Guitar Hero when that was cancelled?

Eric Hirshberg said "We plan to release new content, but not another full Guitar Hero console game this cycle.". I think that's all.
---
bye
LordElohim Yellow Sparx Gems: 1811
#323 Posted: 11:57:03 20/12/2016 | Topic Creator
Quote: CountMoneyBone

^This

if they say they have cancelled the game series, thats like shooting themselves in the foot. because they have still a lot of plastic figures to get outta the door. i dont think we will hear the word cancelled at all, the wording "no Skylanders game planned for 2017" is exactly what we will hear from them. because im sure activision will
go back to the series at some point. like after the nintendo have their switch out on the marked.

This is not terribly likely, at least not in a 3-5 year period. Skylanders isn't like other games, not even games like Guitar Hero. Skylanders requires at least a 4-foot shelf section in any given retailer, and more typically, they get 8 feet. The stores have to allocate that shelf space, they have to say "yeah, we'll give you this precious 8 feet of shelving, because we believe in what you are selling." After the death of Disney Infinity, the death of that Marvel Toys to Life game thing, and the (potential) death of Skylanders, reatilers like Wal-Mart are not going to be very forgiving about that shelf space. They are going to say "well, we carried your products for 6 years, and they sold really well for 3 of those years, but then we started getting overstocked and losing sellthrough, we don't want to take that chance again." If Skylanders goes away for a year or two, it is going to be a tough sell getting it on shelves again. Plus, part of the reason it succeeded in the first place was because Toys to Life was new, and people love new, shiny things. Toys to Life will never be new again. IF Imaginators is the last game for "a while," it is going to be a long while, like maybe an entire console generation while. Or more. Also remember that New York Toy Fair is entirely about vendors showing their new products to the press, and to store buyers every year, trying to get that shelf space and build hype, and Skylanders wasn't even at Toy Fair this year, after showing every other year. There were even Toy Fair exclusives a few years.

And to touch on something Drawdler has been talking about, games get cancelled, like, hard cancelled, in mid development all the time. As in, you have been working on this game for over a year, but we are cancelling it, it all gets trashed. Games have been cancelled within months of release before. Games have been cancelled while in playable Beta form. Just earlier this year, Fable Legends got cancelled after being in Beta for several months, and development for several years.
---
Hail Sithis
Darkling183 Green Sparx Gems: 340
#324 Posted: 12:50:15 20/12/2016
Given how busy VV seems to be with the Crash remasters and helping out with the Destiny 2 PC port, it's possible that Activision had TfB working on a quick-and-dirty instalment of the series for 2017, a la Giants. If so, maybe it wasn't shaping up to anyone's liking (which seems likely with such a short development cycle) and Activision decided it was best not to sink any more money into it after they saw the initial sales figures for Imaginators.

Honestly, it seems like Thumpin' Wumpa Islands was VV's farewell to Skylanders, and by all accounts, they did a good job there. I doubt VV was working on the 2017 game (unless there's some proof to the contrary?).
#325 Posted: 14:57:50 20/12/2016
Quote: AdamGregory03
Actually...

I decided to look up a video on the subject, and apparently Imaginators sold better than Superchargers and Trap Team. Superchargers I can buy, but Trap Team too? Granted I'm thinking the guy who made the video knows just as much as we do.

Here's a link to that video, by the way. Spoilered it because the guy's got a potty mouth.

i just watcehd this guy video, and i gotta say he did said some preety strong facts, to be honest does any of you guys know for a fact how much the game sold from its relese till now? world wide?.
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 15:06:19 20/12/2016 by omer1698
#326 Posted: 15:37:56 20/12/2016
Quote: omer1698
Actually...

i just watcehd this guy video, and i gotta say he did said some preety strong facts, to be honest does any of you guys know for a fact how much the game sold from its relese till now? world wide?.

Well, I don't know if they're "strong facts", considering the only source he lists is an Alpha Ambush video.
But I will agree that I don't think we've been looking at or have been given the entire sales figures for the game.
I remember last we heard the game only made 180K (which I'm betting has probably gone up by now, even if just slightly), but I don't think anyone ever said that's how much the game made worldwide. I could be mistaken on that.
---
Check this out! Please?
#327 Posted: 15:43:59 20/12/2016
Actually...

Well, I don't know if they're "strong facts", considering the only source he lists is an Alpha Ambush video.
But I will agree that I don't think we've been looking at or have been given the entire sales figures for the game.
I remember last we heard the game only made 180K (which I'm betting has probably gone up by now, even if just slightly), but I don't think anyone ever said that's how much the game made worldwide. I could be mistaken
on that.

well more then trap team was kinda unrealistic, but if what superchargers made was enugh to made imaginators...
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
TakeYourLemons Gold Sparx Gems: 2350
#328 Posted: 15:57:49 20/12/2016
Activision won't be announcing a "death" in the family....they'll simply go dark. You guys should exepct no closure from Activision.

They had a great run, some great games, but the model itself cannot be justified long term--there's simply too many toys. Some poor game decision decisions didn't help. And we as fans called it years ago, but they didn't correct the steering.

Skylanders will be back, eventually. My problem is they took something great and ran it into the ground. Their decisions has shortened the love for the genre; they're now forced to address the problems we stated years ago and bring something new for a new generation at some point down the road....execution of all of this is dubious at best.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:00:54 20/12/2016 by TakeYourLemons
McMurderpaws Yellow Sparx Gems: 1330
#329 Posted: 16:48:23 20/12/2016

So we can play them on current gen consoles. SA and Giants aren't backwards compatible.

If this week we will get an answoer then i should probobly prepering the grave stone smilie.

How about we let someone who can actually spell prepare the tomb stone...? smilie;
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:51:13 20/12/2016 by McMurderpaws
#330 Posted: 16:54:42 20/12/2016
Quote: McMurderpaws

So we can play them on current gen consoles. SA and Giants aren't backwards compatible.

How about we let someone who can actually spell prepare the tomb stone...? smilie;

Sorry that english is not my main language.
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
McMurderpaws Yellow Sparx Gems: 1330
#331 Posted: 17:18:50 20/12/2016

I'd forgive you using the wrong word or confusing sentence structure, but every modern browser has built-in spellcheck now.
Buuzer Hunter Gems: 6546
#332 Posted: 17:48:31 20/12/2016

I'd forgive you using the wrong word or confusing sentence structure, but every modern browser has built-in spellcheck now.

Calm down. English is not his first language, I don't see any problems if he makes mistakes.
---
smilie smilie smilie youtube.com/user/GOWBuuzer smilie smilie smilie
#333 Posted: 18:06:37 20/12/2016
Quote: Buuzer

Calm down. English is not his first language, I don't see any problems if he makes mistakes.

thanks buuzer, at least i didnt made a huge error.
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
#334 Posted: 18:23:29 20/12/2016
Yeah, I'd rather have omer skipping capitalized words or doing typos than some other types of dramas.

But whatever happens, don't start a fight or panic. I might be arguing because I already chose a side, but I'm not going to lower the level or burn bridges just because I might never see some users here again. It's best to make good memories.
---
#335 Posted: 18:33:16 20/12/2016
Quote:
But whatever happens, don't start a fight or panic. I might be arguing because I already chose a side, but I'm not going to lower the level or burn bridges just because I might never see some users here again. It's best to make good memories.

at least you chose a side, i'm not even sure what to believe any more. i dont know to what evidences i should belive, the only way to know what will happen if acti will say somthing but what if even there they will not be clear? what if skylanders will be stuck in a place between life and death...
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
Darksteelforge Blue Sparx Gems: 692
#336 Posted: 20:54:48 20/12/2016
Let's go nuts and be really optimist. What if the seventh games of skylanders isn't made by VV but another game developer. Then we could have a new game in 2017.
---
276 Skylanders. 6630 Heroic Challenges completed. So Cali now you have seen every different skylander complete all heroic challenges.
Garygoh884 Gold Sparx Gems: 2854
#337 Posted: 01:27:44 21/12/2016
The only thing is that a new game developer besides TfB and VV would top the sales through the Skylanders series due to VV's first Skylanders console release being a successor in sales.

However, if the design options were limited by Activision, we couldn't predict what outcomes and sales to expect.
#338 Posted: 01:41:00 21/12/2016
Quote: Darksteelforge
Let's go nuts and be really optimist. What if the seventh games of skylanders isn't made by VV but another game developer. Then we could have a new game in 2017.

Well... I guess it's possible... Unlikely, perhaps, but still possible.
Only question would be who they could bring aboard.

But hey, glad to see another optimist on the situation here.
---
Check this out! Please?
kaosmumishot Emerald Sparx Gems: 3271
#339 Posted: 04:55:41 21/12/2016
Quote: defpally

Each to their own but I loved the story in SSA. It was the thing I loved most about the game. I mean the whole - go to a level, find something that you need, move to next level is standard for most games isn't it? The fact that you had to collect things for each element was neat enough. Personally I would love to see the game redone so that all Skylanders could be used in it. But I agree that it's very unlikely to happen for the reason you mentioned that it would be virtually like creating a new game. Shame though.
#340 Posted: 06:14:06 21/12/2016
Quote: Darksteelforge

Well... I guess it's possible... Unlikely, perhaps, but still possible.
Only question would be who they could bring aboard.

But hey, glad to see another optimist on the situation here.

interesting theory, but who else can make skylanders 7 besides vv and tfb?.
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
UncleBob Ripto Gems: 4565
#341 Posted: 06:41:44 21/12/2016
Beenox, in theory.
#342 Posted: 07:02:01 21/12/2016
Quote: UncleBob
Beenox, in theory.

They did were co dev in trap tean and superchargers...

I guess it will not be that crazy if beenox will be the main devs in sky 7...

Mabey if there will be sky7 then will make a plot similar to SSA, with more story levels, elemental macgaffin and mabey even without or less new figuers.
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 08:47:42 21/12/2016 by omer1698
#343 Posted: 11:03:07 21/12/2016
Beenox did develop TT3DS mostly alone, even if hot off the heels of N-Space. They don't seem to have much on the way of manpower, though.

SSA's story was good, but it only worked for itself. Everything needs to go right for a generic mcguffin plot to work, and it only goes right once - which is why the other games feel like filler when they do it.
---
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5016
#344 Posted: 18:38:55 21/12/2016
beenox and n-space are the worst developers ever, all these two idiot developers can do is make game breaking bugs. i hope these two never ever make a stand alone skylander game, its gonna be a disaster.
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:39:46 21/12/2016 by CountMoneyBone
#345 Posted: 18:59:06 21/12/2016
You seem awfully knowledgeable of game development to think four perfectly working games have nothing that's not a bug on them. And N-Space is dead. I thought you didn't even know them enough and mistook them for an active developer at the start of the year? Huh.
---
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#346 Posted: 19:05:17 21/12/2016
Quote: CountMoneyBone
beenox and n-space are the worst developers ever, all these two idiot developers can do is make game breaking bugs. i hope these two never ever make a stand alone skylander game, its gonna be a disaster.

I enjoyed N Space's 3DS versions for Skylanders.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
EmperorKaos Emerald Sparx Gems: 4399
#347 Posted: 19:58:38 21/12/2016
actualy 1 of the resons i started dislike skylanders was the characters and maps being more childish looking in the game models this started from swap force

that being sayed i liked how they looked in SSA and SSG the HD rely hurted me
First | Previous | Page 7 of 29 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 27 28 29

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me