darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Imaginators > Allegedly, Skylanders has been canceled... [Rumors]
First | Previous | Page 11 of 29 | Next | Last
1 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 27 28 29
Allegedly, Skylanders has been canceled... [Rumors]
TrapGiant Blue Sparx Gems: 547
#501 Posted: 16:15:54 28/12/2016
Yeah, especially since we just got a Kirby game, there is no reason to make a new one now.
---
"Science is a horizon to search for, not a prize to hold in your hand..."-Smart Waddles
BOOMCAKE Blue Sparx Gems: 970
#502 Posted: 16:24:30 28/12/2016
I was today in 6 stores and saw almost no Imaginators stuff hanging on the shelfs this means the figures are selling good in my town unlike the superchargers last years. (Luckily, I got all imaginators adventure packs.) For this, I have hope for a seventh Skylander game and I want them to continue with the Imaginators.
fairyland Emerald Sparx Gems: 3800
#503 Posted: 19:25:54 28/12/2016
Quote: BOOMCAKE
I was today in 6 stores and saw almost no Imaginators stuff hanging on the shelfs this means the figures are selling good in my town unlike the superchargers last years. (Luckily, I got all imaginators adventure packs.) For this, I have hope for a seventh Skylander game and I want them to continue with the Imaginators.

Actually it could mean that they were only sent one or two cases for each wave this year which is just a little below enough to satisfy demand in your area but enough to ensure no dead stock. Both of my Walmarts and my Best Buy barely has any Skylanders on the shelf at all but honestly they didn't have many to start with either. They got only perhaps 50 to 100 figures? They used to get several hundred in prior years and sell rather well, so it's concerning.

Come to think of it, Walmarts here never got wave three in...Best Buy only had that one case of wave three. Typically only Toys R Us and sometimes Target are the only places that will stock up and restock on Skylanders. Gamestop is hit or miss, they will usually will have one or two of each figure sent to them and that's it. I cannot think of any other place that has them other than those five locations. Either way, it's highly unlikely most of these places will ever restock on the rather low levels of inventory that they were sent, so it gives off an illusion that they are selling well, but the fact is that they barely had any to start with and won't restock.
---
Stay Cool!
sky-dragon Emerald Sparx Gems: 3206
#504 Posted: 06:45:25 29/12/2016
My stores are full of imaginers skylanders and crash cortex non have been selling too well I only seen super charges slots empty then imaginers skylanders
---
"ryuujin no ken wo kurae!"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 06:46:13 29/12/2016 by sky-dragon
tigerdr Yellow Sparx Gems: 1976
#505 Posted: 02:15:21 31/12/2016
I've seen this for awhile and it's fitting after having 6 games and nearly 6 years of toys to life. There's just too many people burned out and diminishing sales. I have no doubt that they did cancel the 2017 game and there is most likely just a switch port to round out the no 3ds port this year (that should've been a give away to going all in on the major consoles). It's still been surreal to have that many games in a short time. While it's burnout, it's definitely enough adventures to enjoy with all figures.

This game has all the gimmicks of ending a series on in letting you make your own skylanders, "redeemed" villains as senseis and you get to play as kaos. They didn't hold anything back and while they always said they have 20 or so stories they could tell, doesn't mean they'll always get to tell them all. Infinity could've went another game but they had to axe their plans even if they had the ball rolling on another game.

Takes funding and this game like superchargers just isn't making the sales. I have a feeling 2017 skylanders was probably 50% done and I bet they decided not to go ahead with it. So most likely by march or april like infinity we'll be hearing of skylanders stopping atleast for 2017.
---
Taking that last ride through the sunset on skylanders. Hopefully a return of more classic spyro gameplay in the horizon.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:16:45 31/12/2016 by tigerdr
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8264
#506 Posted: 03:56:19 31/12/2016
Quote: tigerdr
I've seen this for awhile and it's fitting after having 6 games and nearly 6 years of toys to life. There's just too many people burned out and diminishing sales. I have no doubt that they did cancel the 2017 game and there is most likely just a switch port to round out the no 3ds port this year (that should've been a give away to going all in on the major consoles). It's still been surreal to have that many games in a short time. While it's burnout, it's definitely enough adventures to enjoy with all figures.

This game has all the gimmicks of ending a series on in letting you make your own skylanders, "redeemed" villains as senseis and you get to play as kaos. They didn't hold anything back and while they always said they have 20 or so stories they could tell, doesn't mean they'll always get to tell them all. Infinity could've went another game but they had to axe their plans even if they had the ball rolling on another game.

Takes funding and this game like superchargers just isn't making the sales. I have a feeling 2017 skylanders was probably 50% done and I bet they decided not to go ahead with it. So most likely by march or april like infinity we'll be hearing of skylanders stopping atleast for 2017.

You bring up a good point, but at the same time, those were decided probably before SSC released and even more so for the supposed cancellation, which seems to have been made after Imaginators released.

All of these "end game gimmicks" are likely just coincidence.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#507 Posted: 03:58:25 31/12/2016
Not gonna believe the rumors until activison confirms/denies it. I don't know if it's reasoning, denial, or a mix of both.
MagnaSurge Yellow Sparx Gems: 1045
#508 Posted: 04:37:40 31/12/2016
I'm not a hopeful or a skeptic on rumors or swayed by signs of conclusions that seems like the series is going to end. All I see happening is that the series won't end anytime soon (don't care if I'm wrong). That's just my view on the matter.

But I will say, atleast bring out one more game that ties the series together. One example, Kaos finally become good with the Skylanders. Or if he will forever be a bumbling villain that keeps wanting to conquer Skylands.

Also if there's no happy meal toys for 2017, then I guess I could see that as a sign that the series won't continue. Oh lol.
---
- I want Tara Strong to voice my waifu.
- Ashi will forever remain in my heart. :'c
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#509 Posted: 06:59:14 31/12/2016
Making your own Skylander seems to be at last ditch, "all in" feature. Not sure where you go beyond that. And carrying that feature forward in any way would be very challenging - and it would also be really hard to lose that flexibility.
FaboulousFab Yellow Sparx Gems: 1247
#510 Posted: 07:54:20 31/12/2016
Quote: defpally
Making your own Skylander seems to be at last ditch, "all in" feature. Not sure where you go beyond that. And carrying that feature forward in any way would be very challenging - and it would also be really hard to lose that flexibility.

Are you sure? There could have many possibilities, depending which direction activivi wants for his franchise.
Making your own levels and sharing online could be a possibility (rip disney), putting a gta open world, or taking the samsh bros direction.
Of course remaking ever and ever the same plateforming concept looks like a dead end.
---
Marge: But I thought broccoli was...
Dr. Hibbert: Oh yes. One of the deadliest plants on earth. It tries to warn you itself with its terrible taste.
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10050
#511 Posted: 11:19:09 31/12/2016
If you've ever been to the Fandom forum, you know it goes *well* beyond character creator. We could have elemental shifting, level creator, mounts, an expander helper gimmick, etc etc.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
omer1698 Gold Sparx Gems: 2258
#512 Posted: 11:40:05 31/12/2016
Basicly we can stil have planty of awsome gimmiks, and i hope that if we will have sky 7 or more we will be able to see each one of those gimmiks.

And about the element shifting idea, thats en intresting one...
Prismaster...
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 11:42:55 31/12/2016 by omer1698
#513 Posted: 12:19:51 31/12/2016
Element shifting I really like since it's as much fanfic fuel as it's a great way to fix some older Skylanders, sorta. If the design isn't particularly interesting, like say Ignitor, make him be able to shift into black flames and Dark powers, that sort of thing. Doesn't lose the original appeal, but he gains an extra thing to be remembered.
---
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#514 Posted: 04:46:57 01/01/2017
Yes, several other gimmicks could be done, but Skylanders is kind of about playing various characters, and the most recent game they handed those reigns over to us. That's why it feels end game to me. They gave us the keys to their kingdom.

And it would be hard going back from this and hard to take it forward further. The Imaginators are so personal, people feel attached because they made them personally. If they take that away, people will get upset. It isn't like taking away villains we got to play in Trap Team, it would be like taking away something much more.
kaosmumishot Emerald Sparx Gems: 3271
#515 Posted: 05:13:24 01/01/2017
Quote: FaboulousFab
Quote: defpally

Are you sure? There could have many possibilities, depending which direction activivi wants for his franchise.
Making your own levels and sharing online could be a possibility (rip disney), putting a gta open world, or taking the samsh bros direction.
Of course remaking ever and ever the same plateforming concept looks like a dead end.

I agree, allowing us to make our own Skylanders could be taken further into level creation. Whilst I don't think this is the direction Activision will go it would also be a way of transitioning from TTL to a more traditional style of game. I would imagine they have a great margin on their creation crystals. Those creation crystals also take up less space on shelves. Possibly they could make an installment with a smaller character roster and an even greater focus on the crystals en route to making a game with no plastic attached. So from that point of view instead of being an end game allowing us to create our own characters could have been a transition move.

But personally I don't think they will take this approach unfortunately. I'm not confident of the games future.
Beedle2000 Green Sparx Gems: 442
#516 Posted: 06:39:45 01/01/2017
Just remember, even if Sky 7 DOES get cancelled, it doesn't necessarily mean the series is gone for good. They could end up making more, just not on a once a year basis, and/or add more expansions to Imaginators. Kinda like what Infinity was planning before Disney axed Avalanche.

It does seem like the toys-to-life era is coming to an end, though. It feels like it's only a matter of time before Skylanders kicks the bucket. smilie
TheToyNerd Gold Sparx Gems: 2137
#517 Posted: 00:05:08 05/01/2017
Just as a little heads up, Liam is planning on making another video about the Skylanders situation sometime soon. Be on the lookout for that.
#518 Posted: 00:11:14 05/01/2017
Quote: TheToyNerd
Just as a little heads up, Liam is planning on making another video about the Skylanders situation sometime soon. Be on the lookout for that.

Interesting, I wonder if he'll say "It seems they are making it after all, but it WILL be the last!" or "Yeah, it's sadly happening. My condolences to the fanbase"
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
#519 Posted: 00:20:44 05/01/2017
Condolences - if the internet's reaction is anything to take in consideration he'll say 'heh finally now we can get a spyro game' for the sweet sweet likes despite knowing it won't happen until next year if at all.
---
#520 Posted: 00:30:54 05/01/2017
Quote: Bifrost
Condolences - if the internet's reaction is anything to take in consideration he'll say 'heh finally now we can get a spyro game' for the sweet sweet likes despite knowing it won't happen until next year if at all.

That or, "I wonder how many 10 year olds will jump at me in the comment section this time!!!!"

Yes, because let's base the entire fan base of this franchise off of the few nasty comments left by dumb children and then wonder why the rest of the fanbase doesn't take my claim seriously! I like Liam, but stuff like that makes me roll my eyes a little. This isn't just for Skylanders, either.
#521 Posted: 00:48:43 05/01/2017
where's the first video?
#522 Posted: 00:50:21 05/01/2017
Quote: ZapNorris
where's the first video?

First page, me thinks. If not just look up Liam Robertson Skylanders
---
#523 Posted: 01:06:57 05/01/2017

In case anyone needed a refresher on why this thing has 11 freaking pages!
AdamGregory03 Gold Sparx Gems: 2156
#524 Posted: 01:38:58 05/01/2017
Hopefully there'll be some good news from him... Though I'm sadly doubting it.
But... Optimism! Yay!
---
Golden Queen did nothing wrong and she is best evil waifu.
Check this out! Please?
#525 Posted: 01:43:16 05/01/2017
Optimism! yeah... that's all i have.
#526 Posted: 01:56:33 05/01/2017
Apparently, he also posted an update on Patreon....which I can't see because I would need to donate >.<
---
Wishblade Emerald Sparx Gems: 3262
#527 Posted: 02:57:50 05/01/2017
Who is this Liam? Does he have any credibility?
---
Any last wishes?
TrapShadowFan Emerald Sparx Gems: 3511
#528 Posted: 03:19:22 05/01/2017
Quote: Wishblade

He's the guy who claimed the NX would be worse than the Wii U and that Shovel Knight was confirmed for Smash Bros. He's been wrong on everything except part of some Superchargers predictions video when he mentioned vehicles. He heard from an inside source that Activision was having a meeting about the fate of Skylanders but was never actually told the outcome. Sorry but I've always just really hated the guy for constantly acting like his info is always correct and confirmed when he says it.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:20:19 05/01/2017 by TrapShadowFan
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#529 Posted: 03:21:43 05/01/2017
Quote: Wishblade

He got some stuff wrong before, but 90% of his leaks turn out to be true. His main job is to save information about cancelled games, so he has contact with inside members of many companies, including Activision.

Like any rumor, you shouldn't take this a 100% confirmation, but he's a trustful guy, so there's a chance it's true.
---
Bruh
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:22:24 05/01/2017 by Crash10
#530 Posted: 03:27:10 05/01/2017
Is anyone gonna try to see what his patreon says?
---
#531 Posted: 03:34:35 05/01/2017
Quote: HeyitsHotDog

Domeone needs to do a donation to him...

No I'm not gonna do it.
---
Bruh
#532 Posted: 03:41:35 05/01/2017
Quote: Crash10
Quote: HeyitsHotDog

Domeone needs to do a donation to him...

No I'm not gonna do it.

Yeah, that's the same reason no one else is. smilie
---
#533 Posted: 03:48:21 05/01/2017
Unless there's already a donator between us... I doubt it, but...
---
Bruh
#534 Posted: 04:02:04 05/01/2017

One that requires a donation to access do you think?
#535 Posted: 04:07:56 05/01/2017
Quote: kaosmumishot

One that requires a donation to access do you think?

Yep. it's that one.
---
LordElohim Yellow Sparx Gems: 1811
#536 Posted: 06:00:20 05/01/2017 | Topic Creator
Well, the pledge was $1, and since I started this topic, I thought maybe I should pony up and follow through. I'm sure posting this here could get me kicked off Patreon or something, but whatever. It was a written post, not a new video, and here it is, copy/pasted in full.

"Late last year, I brought you the news that the latest entry in the toys to life series, Skylanders, had reportedly been cancelled. The game was planned to come out in 2017, but was axed by Activision due to declining sales. The future of Toys For Bob, the creators of Skylanders, was cast into uncertainty. Since then, I have continued to reach out to former and current associates of the Activision and Toys For Bob to see what they had to say about the unfolding situation.

For anyone hoping that Skylanders and Toys For Bob could yet survive, the news is not good. One source I have spoken to claims that the TFB offices are next to empty right now, as the studio is seemingly preparing to be dismantled. Multiple sources have suggested that the studio will be closing in the near future and an official statement from Activision is expected early this year.

I was able to ascertain in the making of my previous video that Toys For Bob had nothing in development at that time. The same remains true today. They have not pitched any further projects and their only remaining duties have been providing the final post-release patches for Skylanders Imaginators, the most recent entry in the series and final nail in its coffin.

Toys For Bob's anticipated closure will arrive around 27 years after it first opened its doors in 1989. Some staff have already left, searching for new opportunities.

Activision is continuing to cut down on their remaining support for the Skylanders IP, which they currently plan to end in its entirety. One source suggested that merchandising plans have been dialed back and another claims that Activision is already making preparations to pull out of their deal with Netflix to continue producing Skylanders Academy, the recently launched animated series.

It remains to be seen what will happen to Skylanders Academy at this juncture. A second season of the show is in development as per their two season contract, but Activision is currently attempting to shut it down. Its future will depend entirely upon how negotiations between Netflix and Activision pan out. Either way, it is very unlikely that further seasons will be comissioned if the second one is somehow able to survive.

If the situation changes, I will be the first to update you on it.

- Liam"
---
Hail Sithis
#537 Posted: 06:21:05 05/01/2017
Quote: LordElohim
post-release patches for Skylanders Imaginators, the most recent entry in the series and final nail in its coffin.

Appreciate you sharing the bad news with us. Hope it doesn't impact negatively on your standing on this or other sites.

Seems like it is all over, with no consideration for other options including disc only releases. Such a shame really as Imaginators is such a great entry, which is why I think referring to it as the 'final nail in its coffin' is a little poorly worded.

Can't help but blame myself. A couple of years ago I brought a television stand that accommodates pretty much one of each Skylander from each of the past 6 games (not counting variants) and the magical items, traps etc. Activision no doubt have canned the series to stop me needing to worry about buying a new cabinet.

Fingers crossed now that the remaining characters are still released and quickly if they intend to make an announcement early in the year.
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#538 Posted: 06:48:41 05/01/2017
Great, more possible bad news until Activision speaks out.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
#539 Posted: 07:23:22 05/01/2017
TFB being empty doesn't connect to the Chuck E Cheese contest that nets you a visit there, though. Trying to break contract with Netflix also sounds stupid even for them - aside from being paid already and well into production, Netflix probably put some hefty fees for chickening out, or every tie-in would do it and destroy the huge funding they've been using to bring new shows.

From the side that thinks that it's the end, this part really doesn't add up.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 07:27:43 05/01/2017 by Bifrost
#540 Posted: 07:27:31 05/01/2017
And we can probably expect Mr. Skylanders Doomed to come in and gloat. I'll have my earplugs ready.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
#541 Posted: 08:03:33 05/01/2017
So thats it? Its over is sKylanders is really.... ;-;
no,no... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....

WHY GOD WHY!!? THEY DONT DESERVE THIS!!!!!!
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 08:05:25 05/01/2017 by omer1698
#542 Posted: 08:04:51 05/01/2017
Quote: omer1698
So thats it? Its over is sKylanders is really.... ;-;
no,no... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....

WHY GOD WHY!!? THEY DONT DESERVE THIS!!!!!!

Not officially confirmed, omer.

Activision, TFB or VV are the only ones who can confirm the outcome about Skylanders. Don't go on a spamfest, please.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 08:05:55 05/01/2017 by Aura24
#543 Posted: 08:10:49 05/01/2017
Might be time to hit the panic button and see this with Eric Rogers once the video comes out. He gets kept in the dark about everything after he does his job as we saw last year, but maybe an innocent question of sharing the story that he planned should the worst happen...?
---
#544 Posted: 08:11:09 05/01/2017
Sorry, im reading to be optimistc but its not very easy sfter reading this.
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
#545 Posted: 09:03:38 05/01/2017
If marketing was already gone though, they'd not even allow the contest to happen. There are more than enough kid franchises out there for Chuck E Cheese to rely on, so if Acti wants to go for the IP death, they wouldn't bat an eye at offers.
---
Darkling183 Green Sparx Gems: 340
#546 Posted: 09:59:00 05/01/2017
Thank you for providing this information, LordElohim. Much appreciated.

Quote:
It remains to be seen what will happen to Skylanders Academy at this juncture. A second season of the show is in development as per their two season contract, but Activision is currently attempting to shut it down. Its future will depend entirely upon how negotiations between Netflix and Activision pan out.

I think the keyword here (my emphasis) is that Activision is 'attempting' to shut the second season down. If it's too costly for Activision to back out, then they'll have no choice but to continue funding the second season, but it sounds like they want to ditch Skylanders as soon as possible.

And I don't think 'the final post-release patches for Skylanders Imaginators' necessarily means DLC - just fixing bugs when and if they arise.

I don't know anything about the Chuck E. Cheese contest. When was it announced, and when do the winners get chosen? The contest could have been organised months ago, and Activision couldn't have foreseen this back then. I wouldn't put it past them to just say "sorry, you can't visit the studio after all; have a consolation prize of some sort instead".

Ah. I downloaded the terms and conditions of the contest, and section 4A says this when describing the grand prize:

Quote:
a VIP tour of Toys for Bob for winner and Guests, subject to availability

And this:

Quote:
Should any event, element or detail of a Grand Prize become unavailable, the Sponsor shall have no obligation to a Grand Prize winner aside from providing the remaining portion of the prize, minus any unavailable event, element or detail.

Figures that Activision would have hedged its bets. =/
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 10:06:42 05/01/2017 by Darkling183
#547 Posted: 10:09:48 05/01/2017
Why they are trying to can the show if it will cost more to chuncel it?
And if this liam isnright and tfb is really goin down why they are making this contest with the tour as the main prize?
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
First | Previous | Page 11 of 29 | Next | Last
1 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 27 28 29

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me