darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Imaginators > The Lack of Content and the Increase in Plastic
Page 1 of 1
The Lack of Content and the Increase in Plastic
zookinator Platinum Sparx Gems: 5694
#1 Posted: 18:20:14 19/08/2016 | Topic Creator
Lately I’ve been really wrestling with myself over whether or not I want to get SI. I’ve been with the series for five years, collecting every unique character, including the rare Thrillipede. I’ve gone along with what they’ve released until STT, when I began questioning the worth of these characters.

It seems that every year since SSF there has been content being removed for a gimmick, then the inclusion of a mechanic that required the gimmick figures for the year. The Villains with all their development removed Bonus Missions/Heroic Challenges, as well as the quests, which gave us more to do with each individual Skylander. The Trap Masters, while useful in Trap Team, were used as a toll to get behind the Elemental Gates, as no doubt Activision wanted more money and more of a ‘use’ for the larger figures.

Superchargers began to rebuild some of what was lost in STT by including character quests, which while nice, didn’t provide much for the characters themselves to do rather than the Vehicles. If you wanted to do ANYTHING in the game, you had to have a Vehicle. Then there were the Vehicle Elemental gates and the Supercharged Challenges: Extra game content that was needed to officially finish the game, that needed Superchargers and Vehicles to work. At least in Swap Force you could have 64 characters with the 8 you bought to get EVERYTHING in the game.

Now SI comes and we can create our own character, which is something people have been wanting to do since SSA. While fantastic, there are obviously restrictions (need I remind people of Ninjas and Swashbucklers?), and what more, if we want to experiment with the different battle classes, our plans are sunk: TFB and Acti obviously planned people to get one of each Element of CC and assign one of each battle class to them, which is apparent from the poster. If you think you’ve made a mistake with the Element/Class combo, too bad! You’ll have to get another CC to restart from the bottom.

While I can deal with the Imaginators with some careful planning, what irks me most is the lack of any post-game content. I can see TFB focusing too much on the Imaginator Creator and not enough on what to do after the story is finished…like in STT. I loved that game, but only for the Villains, level design and the graphical style compared to SSF…everything else wasn’t as nice as SSF.

My point here is that over the past three years, Skylanders has been skimping on content to use with our characters and even the game itself to satisfy what is supposed to be side content. I appreciate the amount of work that has been going into each game, but unless this vicious cycle turns around, Skylanders Imaginators could end up being a larger failure than Superchargers.
---
Skylanders Colosseum Clash
A Fanmade Skylanders Boardgame
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10000
#2 Posted: 18:25:14 19/08/2016
They hinted at content not shown in Gamescon, but that we'll have to see.

Also, I wouldn't call the toys side content. They're probably more important than the game itself sales wise.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
AdamGregory03 Gold Sparx Gems: 2156
#3 Posted: 18:30:25 19/08/2016
This is a genuine concern of mine too.
I still have some hope by TfB's claims that this will be "the greatest Skylanders game yet" and apparently with CoinOpTV being told there are some "surprises yet to be revealed" (which could refer to anything, but I'd like to think it's referring to side content).

Usually Gamescom is where they reveal some of the side content, but the fact that they didn't this year tells me two things: Either there's not going to be any side content, or there's something big they got planned that they want to be a surprise for their consumers. The optimistic part of me makes me believe the latter, but the former possibility is worrying...
---
Golden Queen did nothing wrong and she is best evil waifu.
Check this out! Please?
TheToyNerd Gold Sparx Gems: 2137
#4 Posted: 18:33:30 19/08/2016
Quote: AdamGregory03
I still have some hope by TfB's claims that this will be "the greatest Skylanders game yet" and apparently with CoinOpTV being told there are some "surprises yet to be revealed" (which could refer to anything, but I'd like to think it's referring to side content).

Usually Gamescom is where they reveal some of the side content, but the fact that they didn't this year tells me two things: Either there's not going to be any side content, or there's something big they got planned that they want to be a surprise for their consumers. The optimistic part of me makes me believe the latter, but the former possibility is worrying...

That's kinda silly to think this game will have no side content. I do worry for the content but I feel like that sentiment is taking it to the extreme.

Guys, the game isn't out yet. We should wait till we're nearer to launch before immediately jumping to the conclusion that this game will lack stuff
AdamGregory03 Gold Sparx Gems: 2156
#5 Posted: 18:35:35 19/08/2016
Quote: TheToyNerd
Quote: AdamGregory03

That's kinda silly to think this game will have no side content. I do worry for the content but I feel like that sentiment is taking it to the extreme.

Guys, the game isn't out yet. We should wait till we're nearer to launch before immediately jumping to the conclusion that this game will lack stuff

That's true... Guess I can't help myself, I'm a natural worrier. I worry a lot.
---
Golden Queen did nothing wrong and she is best evil waifu.
Check this out! Please?
Bionichute Yellow Sparx Gems: 1889
#6 Posted: 18:37:14 19/08/2016
I feel like they should have cut out the middle man and just cut the roster down to 23. 10 new Skylanders, 10 Villains, Kaos, Crash, and Cortex. It's like they were afraid of there "Not being enough", so they shoehorned in extra characters that threw off the balance.
---
I'M A KAMEN RIDER
//forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=129460 Check out my Skylanders game idea!
Akseyomiht Yellow Sparx Gems: 1494
#7 Posted: 19:08:01 19/08/2016
Why people keeps repetaing the meme of no post game content in SSC?, it's a racing game and all the racing is outside the main history.

Quote: zookinator

Extra game content that was needed to officially finish the game

In SSA and SG you needed all skylanders to unlock all the quests of the game needed to "offcially" finish the game, judge all games by same standards, don't cherry pick.

Creation crystals are not Resettable, source please?

Anyway, If you are not sure if you are going to like the game just wait until there is more information.
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10000
#8 Posted: 19:12:47 19/08/2016
SCRacing is a racing game. SC is a hack and slash with racing elements. The fact there was nearly no hack and slash in the primarily hack and slash game is what got everyone bored, people did like the Wii/3DS versions for being upfront on that and having extra content of its own kind with the optional missions.

Didn't Giants' accolades not count for 100%, though? Same for SSA, which only counted adventure packs?
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 19:14:50 19/08/2016 by Bifrost
Akseyomiht Yellow Sparx Gems: 1494
#9 Posted: 19:48:20 19/08/2016
Racing is still post game content, if that content is enticing or not is another matter.

I though he was refering to achievements.
TheToyNerd Gold Sparx Gems: 2137
#10 Posted: 20:00:35 19/08/2016
Racing is content, but it's not the type of content that fans of the series want from a Skylanders game. I hope that TFB puts in the work and adds stuff like Arenas or maybe even a successor to the Kaos Doom Challenge. Something combat related to keep us occupied after the main story is done.
TakeYourLemons Gold Sparx Gems: 2350
#11 Posted: 02:47:14 20/08/2016
Content is king in my world, and it seems that since Swap Force it's been lackluster--at least in the after game modes. I can excuse SuperChargers a bit for that since they had to work out the networking comms with online racing; I truly think they would have a super blockbuster if they would simply make online battles (the same ones we played in the first three games) a staple of every release. Just release standalone arena challenges and an online component of battling. They can take that to the bank. The most fun my kids and I had were battling each other, and being able to battle remote friends would be an awesome idea.

I posted similar if not exact threads to this in previous releases, but I've given up. Activision is going to not do what I'm thinking so why even bother.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:49:00 20/08/2016 by TakeYourLemons
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me