Page 1 of 1
This is what updates are for
Pyrofer Gold Sparx Gems: 2495
#1 Posted: 09:13:24 22/05/2015 | Topic Creator
"Future expansion pack purchases will continue to work with the LEGO Dimensions Starter Pack, even in the fall of next year. No compatibility chart necessary"

Can you imagine playing Giants with your Trap Team figures? That is pretty much what Lego are saying for their game.

Activision better pull it out the bag for Sky5 !
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#2 Posted: 09:42:06 22/05/2015
Quote: Pyrofer
"Future expansion pack purchases will continue to work with the LEGO Dimensions Starter Pack, even in the fall of next year. No compatibility chart necessary"

Can you imagine playing Giants with your Trap Team figures? That is pretty much what Lego are saying for their game.

That's what I've always hoped for.

New figures each year and SA constantly updated to add more content, levels and support for newer figures.

I'm afraid we are going in the exact opposite direction: the more games they will release the less space will be to keep all the Skylanders inside them.
They already said they will drop forward compatibility eventually...

But I sincerely hope they changed their minds. smilie
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 09:42:37 22/05/2015 by Drek95
Snap Shot Gold Sparx Gems: 2672
#3 Posted: 10:04:07 22/05/2015
Dropping forward compability would be a risky move . It's what keeps their fan base.
---
Croc and Roll smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
Street50 Gold Sparx Gems: 2060
#4 Posted: 10:07:14 22/05/2015
I'll remind you that Disney infinity promised that you wouldn't need to purchase a playset everytime that when the future Playsets came out that we would be allowed to just add the new characters to the playset we already purchased.
PMTgaming150 Gold Sparx Gems: 2238
#5 Posted: 13:17:40 22/05/2015
That would be amazing!
---
MS paint DIO stares into your soul
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
UncleBob Ripto Gems: 4565
#6 Posted: 13:32:48 22/05/2015
Quote: Drek95

What?
TakeYourLemons Gold Sparx Gems: 2350
#7 Posted: 13:35:19 22/05/2015
I'm afraid we are going in the exact opposite direction: the more games they will release the less space will be to keep all the Skylanders inside them.

That would be a death call for the series. Link to source?
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#8 Posted: 13:58:51 22/05/2015
Quote: TakeYourLemons

I don't have a specific link (they usually say it when a new game is announced) but they said it multiple times actually.

They said things like "we would want to make you play with all your favorite characters forever but we know we'll probably eventually reach a point where it will no longer be possible" or "we will try to keep forward compatibility as longer as possible but one day it might be too hard to do so".

They never went out saying "enjoy your fan favorites because one day they will be gone" or never specifically said anything official but I keep hearing things like that so often that I'm surprised it isn't so widely known.

I'm currently thinking how bad it would be.
It will indeed be a bad move but at the same time I don't think it would annoy me that much if they won't keep adding things to do for older characters or at least simply raising the xp cap.

I changed a lot my mind regarding that possibility in the last months but I'm still leaning towards the "NOPE" side.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:03:48 22/05/2015 by Drek95
#9 Posted: 14:19:56 22/05/2015
Ya, I heard the DEVs complaining about the work they have to put into it...never outright heard them saying "it will break at a point". The funny thing is by doing reposes they are forcing forward compatibility of past figures. Providing support for these characters is top heavy...and in my mind both dev teams should literally be using the same IP with little or no changes...and I think we're good from a storage perspective. In my mind overall quality decreases because there's no way to test all figures and every square inch of playing space and meet delivery schedules. That's why I think the products are getting buggier. That's the breaking point--not the work-but the quality of the overall effort. It's one of the reasons why I think TfB dropped other modes in the game.

What if they used one consolidated game engine and simply "built on top" and provide future installments as downloadables? It makes it a huge ongoing game as opposed to individual installments...something to think about.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:21:07 22/05/2015 by TakeYourLemons
darkchylde28 Gold Sparx Gems: 2175
#10 Posted: 15:56:13 22/05/2015

I'm willing to bet that it's not so much updates as they likely include additional code that gets added onto the base game to add new figures/expansions/whatever when you get the additional packs. If not a disc that you use to update the main game and unlock the additional content, then maybe something that loads from the figures themselves. Either that, or with all of the IP that Lego had access to added to that which they're getting because of LD, they may have just seriously planned enough years in advance to go ahead and include those models and levels in the main game at launch. Only time will tell, though.

In regards to updates for Skylanders game? Yes, we most definitely need them. smilie

-Doug
---
SSA: Complete, SG: Complete, SSF: Complete, STT: Complete (Save Yawn Traps), SSC: Complete (To Date) + Various Chase/Promotional Variants
wideawakewesley Emerald Sparx Gems: 3271
#11 Posted: 16:04:44 22/05/2015
As much as I love what Lego are doing, Lego can afford to do it because they're using an established physical toy that isn't ever going to change (the minifig). However, the minute you commit to this, you rule out physical toy innovation completely. Swap Force and Trap Team's gimmicks would be completely impossible. Would we just want bigger and smaller figures with or without lights? I'm happy to take portal upgrades if the innovation demands it and is worth it. I think with both Swap Force and Trap Team, it was totally justified.
---
Contributor to Family Gamer TV - http://www.familygamer.tv/
Follow me on twitter - http://www.twitter.com/wideawakewesley
#12 Posted: 16:11:14 22/05/2015
Quote: darkchylde28

I'm willing to bet that it's not so much updates as they likely include additional code that gets added onto the base game to add new figures/expansions/whatever when you get the additional packs. If not a disc that you use to update the main game and unlock the additional content, then maybe something that loads from the figures themselves. Either that, or with all of the IP that Lego had access to added to that which they're getting because of LD, they may have just seriously planned enough years in advance to go ahead and include those models and levels in the main game at launch. Only time will tell, though.

In regards to updates for Skylanders game? Yes, we most definitely need them. smilie

-Doug

Having my existing games future proof with future characters makes it an almost lock in with both future and past compatibility. I know it won't happen though as the past games "are in the past"...so we'll see how Lego does it changes their attitude.
#13 Posted: 16:22:27 22/05/2015
The funny thing is, there's no way that Activision makes any serious money off of selling the games - it's the figures that give them the big bucks.

Compatibility with all figure in all games would only help to sell more figures. Sure, it's a point of diminishing returns (how many people would buy NewCharacterX without Spyro's Adventure support vs. how many people would), but it would seem to be something worth looking into.

Of course, I'd always support a Spyro's Adventure DX, upgraded with support for all current-gen consoles and all Skylanders figures. :D
#14 Posted: 16:41:58 22/05/2015
Yep, definitely agree. A final "Platinum" Edition of all games that included this once the series has concluded would be a terrific option.
lamoracke Yellow Sparx Gems: 1635
#15 Posted: 17:57:15 22/05/2015
I think a finale game with them moving on to something different, a reset, would be nice. There are over 200 unique characters, its probably very time consuming to have to incorporate each one of these older characters and gimmicks to each new game. Given the fact they seem committed to doing this one year at a time whether or not they are ready, probably further restricts this.

I would rather they come out with a new Spyros Adventure, something brand new and exciting but similar than just go through the motions and make a flimsy lame lack of original content or wow new game just to get all the 200 past characters playing in it.

I would gladly wait for 1.5 years or 2 years if they were going to do a grand final design game, that actually uses each old character somehow. Won't happen but would be nice, and also to use all those bloody traps some of us have.
#16 Posted: 19:06:21 22/05/2015
OK, we get backwards compatibility now, are you saying incorporate trapping villans + feats of strength + Swap Zone challenges + whatever else all thrown in? That would be an interesting....mess. It's already too cluttered with 46 villains in current game. KISS seems to work for me, which is why the original worked for me. And original...which is why every new game chips at me, because they haven't REALLY done anything different in the game other than the gimmick du jour. And for me, that's not cutting it anymore. Hence my push for need of game reform. I know it won't happen, so as darkchylde says..."find your line and don't let them cross it"...I may find my breaking point soon.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:07:21 22/05/2015 by TakeYourLemons
newkill Emerald Sparx Gems: 3975
#17 Posted: 19:53:19 22/05/2015
So they are creating only one game that will be played for the next let's say, 3 years? That game better be very good, and the expansion better give a lot of new content considering their price.......

Imagine still playing SSA 4 years later... I would be done with the franchise without something new each year.
---
bye
wild_defender Green Sparx Gems: 465
#18 Posted: 21:27:29 22/05/2015
To be fair , this year is the first year that the toys to life games probably won't include the wii compatibility. That's really the only reason why Lego can make this continuous update thing now seeing as the wii didn't have an Internet connection to actually get updates. Skylanders and DI may actually do the same this year and implemt updates now that it's actually possible for all platforms.

Also unless Lego release a decent new level expansion or 2 each and every month it's not going to provide enough content to keep people playing for 1+ years anyway. For something like this to be successful you'd really need a big burst of content each year which Lego will probably make you pay for anyway. And the truth is releasing a physical game each year provides a lot of advertisement. Just Releasing a new game update doesn't appeal to anyone who doesn't already own the game.

And if they do maintain backwards compatibility for a couple of years , it won't last coz what's the point of maintaining old levels that most people probably arnt playing anymore, it'd just be a decent amount of work to please a small percentage of fans.
I'm pretty sure we'll see another Lego dimensions game in like 3 years time if they decide to continue with the franchise, Probably coinciding with the next round of new consoles or something. Then it'll feel just like the early skylanders and DI games with only forward compatibility between games.
---
Anyone else think Short Cut should be making jokes about running with scissors?
#19 Posted: 01:51:25 23/05/2015
I don't buy this "if one platform doesn't get update none of them will" that people is using as an excuse as to why we don't get updates. I personally think that's their MO...they simply don't want to mess with it. We'll see soon enough. With competitors willing to patch....
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8201
#20 Posted: 02:02:08 23/05/2015
I think we can all agree Skylanders as a franchise has so much unwrapped potential that Acti doesn't seem to realize it has.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
Dark fhoenix Emerald Sparx Gems: 3166
#21 Posted: 09:03:16 23/05/2015
Quote:

As opposed to low game quality experience because 300 plus skylanders all need to be programmed in ?

Only 1 percent of the population has all the toys . Legacy toys are a very nice option but so few of us will do more than just put it on the portal to unlock a collection accolade .

Did you see the stinky TT cinematics on the 3DS ? That hardware has reached its limit . I am thinking SKy 5 will either skip on the 3DS or more likely start cutting fat .

Few of us will complain . No one really cared about the SSA adventure toys skipping out on Swopforce other than their mass damage attack .
---
Hey Skylander your health is low and we have a chainsaw
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 09:14:51 23/05/2015 by Dark fhoenix
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#22 Posted: 09:11:20 23/05/2015
Quote: Dark fhoenix
Did you see the stinky TT cinematics on the 3DS ? That hardware space has reached its limit . I am thinking SKy 5 will either skip on the 3DS or more likely start cutting fat .

I thought it was just the storybook effects.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Dark fhoenix Emerald Sparx Gems: 3166
#23 Posted: 09:20:48 23/05/2015
Good cinematics takes about 25 - 50 percent of game space . They are the first to go and a minor sacrifice so you can play with your favorite old mooga .
---
Hey Skylander your health is low and we have a chainsaw
#24 Posted: 15:15:34 23/05/2015
Only 1 percent of the population has all the toys .

True - but a much larger percentage of the target audience has a handful of older toys.
Sure, you're going to run off the crazed fan who has all 200+ characters from the previous games - but what about all the other fans who have 10 or so figures from the older games? They might be a bit upset as well.

Good cinematics takes about 25 - 50 percent of game space . They are the first to go and a minor sacrifice so you can play with your favorite old mooga .

I don't speak for everyone, but I'm playing a game to play a game, not watch a movie. I find myself skipping cut scene more and more (and find myself highly frustrated at games that don't let you skip cut scenes). So, to any developer who removes cut scenes in order to add more game-play, to you, I raise my glass!
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9943
#25 Posted: 16:23:45 23/05/2015
Let's not start an argument of story vs. gameplay here. If they have cutscenes it's cool, if they don't a reason is nice, some people actually like character interactions and not voiced pictures. Now, with space issues, it's hard to know for how long there'll be fat to trim before they get to characters - and the first to go will probably be SSA if they attempt to keep the compatibility but have to get rid of any group. Removing cutscenes is just really trying to cover up an obvious problem, because they had ingame cutscenes just fine. As long as we don't go back to Giants 3DS where they are very minimally voiced and there are nearly no NPCs, it sucks the life out of a game of this kind of storyline.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
#26 Posted: 16:37:56 23/05/2015
Quote:

As opposed to low game quality experience because 300 plus skylanders all need to be programmed in ?

Only 1 percent of the population has all the toys . Legacy toys are a very nice option but so few of us will do more than just put it on the portal to unlock a collection accolade .

Did you see the stinky TT cinematics on the 3DS ? That hardware has reached its limit . I am thinking SKy 5 will either skip on the 3DS or more likely start cutting fat .

Few of us will complain . No one really cared about the SSA adventure toys skipping out on Swopforce other than their mass damage attack .

You are strongly underestimating lashback from even the customers that have 10 toys and still want to play them when purchased. The number of toys isn't the problem, it was the ongoing commitment from Activision about forward compatibility. They say no to that, then customers will say no--because they know their investment in the toys won't be there.

Also there are not 200 original skylanders. I'm guessing somewhere around 120, I'm sure someone has that number.

Agreed 3DS needs to die. With a better tablet strategy executed well on Trap Team...that is where the future is.
#27 Posted: 16:48:36 23/05/2015
People with a 3DS that can't afford Tablet/console or don't want the beat-em-up experience would disagree. Though I doubt many would complain of moving to the New 3DS for more space and better capability.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:49:47 23/05/2015 by Bifrost
#28 Posted: 16:55:04 23/05/2015
[quote=TakeYourLemons
Also there are not 200 original skylanders. I'm guessing somewhere around 120, I'm sure someone has that number.[/quote]

As of TT, 132 fully original characters. Doesn't include items (although does include sidekicks/minis), reposes, alt-decos, variants, etc.
#29 Posted: 20:35:10 23/05/2015 | Topic Creator
Wow. Look what I went and started smilie

Sorry smilie

btw, I will be buying the LEGO game. No idea if I will get Sky 5 though. Fingers crossed Acti pulls it out the bag this year.
#30 Posted: 22:24:37 23/05/2015
Quote: Bifrost
People with a 3DS that can't afford Tablet/console or don't want the beat-em-up experience would disagree. Though I doubt many would complain of moving to the New 3DS for more space and better capability.

They can join the trash heap along with the Wii users. smilie
#31 Posted: 22:38:46 23/05/2015
Hey, now. 3DS has a ton of great games and has a lot of life left in it. Plus, it's outsold all three current-gen consoles combined. It's a great system, and I'm glad to see they keep supporting it with the Skylanders franchise. I agree, the format needs an entire overhaul, but I think there's still a lot they can do with the series on the 3DS(/New 3DS).
#32 Posted: 22:51:37 23/05/2015
3DS isn't horribly behind like the Wii. It's like saying that the DS needed to die at the time of SSB Brawl because they couldn't make a port for it. It's still a good bridge between mobile and console capacity and way more complex games than tablet. For a game of Skylanders which gets huge increases in file size because of the new characters it might not be best prepared,but for that now there's the New 3DS - and with exclusive games like Xenoblade Chronicles 3D in it there's not really an excuse to at least try once more to fit a good plataformer for those who don't like to mash combos and run straight.
---
#33 Posted: 01:44:17 24/05/2015
Quote: UncleBob
Hey, now. 3DS has a ton of great games and has a lot of life left in it. Plus, it's outsold all three current-gen consoles combined. It's a great system, and I'm glad to see they keep supporting it with the Skylanders franchise. I agree, the format needs an entire overhaul, but I think there's still a lot they can do with the series on the 3DS(/New 3DS).

They sell something like 150k - 200k on the platform? Not worth the time, if I'm a numbers man. Stop defending the hardware...it's legendary.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:44:33 24/05/2015 by TakeYourLemons
#34 Posted: 01:49:07 24/05/2015
Perhaps, if they put more effort into it, they'd sell more? :D
#35 Posted: 12:51:30 24/05/2015
Pretty much. Zero marketing, we didn't even know we'd GET a 3DS version until very close to release last year, and the games not being referenced more definately makes them feel like outsiders. Maybe having some NPCs from those games show up in console later would actually have people go back to check who they are(Sleep Dragon, Ferryman, etc.). But then again, I ask the same of the book characters and comic characters which are way more developed.
---
fairyland Emerald Sparx Gems: 3800
#36 Posted: 16:09:37 25/05/2015
...we didn't even know we'd GET a 3DS version until very close to release last year...

They were obviously playing down the fact that the 3DS version existed as the traps would not work with that version. An obvious negative that they wanted to keep from being reported upon for as long as possible.
---
Stay Cool!
#37 Posted: 16:20:29 25/05/2015
Acti likely learned form their mistakes this time around. I'm expecting better quality over all with everything. Especially with VV at the helm.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
#38 Posted: 17:57:53 25/05/2015 | Topic Creator
The best way to support the 3DS would be to abandon the idea of having the console experience on it.
There is no way a PS4 or XBone should have the same game as a 3DS.

Sure, make a Skylanders game for the 3DS. Sure, make it use the portal and figures.
DO NOT TRY TO MAKE IT THE SAME GAME.

There will be comparisons and it will do badly.

Jeez. Make a Skylanders kart game for the 3DS, or an RPG. Do SOMETHING original.
Not everybody want's to buy the same game 3 times just because it's on a different format.
#39 Posted: 18:34:36 25/05/2015
Er... the 3DS gane has *always* been a different adventure than what's on the consoles.

I think that's been part of the problem - the 3DS game should have had a different name to set it apart from the console versions. "Spyro's Quest", "Giant Journey", "SWAP Force Squad" - then, focus the Trap Team 3DS advertising around the minis and call it "Trap Team Minis" or something.
#40 Posted: 18:44:25 25/05/2015
Yeah, different names would help a lot. The games don't even happen in a similar time frame - SSA 3DS is after the first console game(since the skylanders would have to fix the Core of Light before worrying about some faraway place), SG 3DS is after Giants(because the giants would've been freed back into Skylands by that time), SF 3DS is before(because the Dread-Yacht isn't horrifying), and TT 3DS is mostly likely after(same case as Giants, though considering the design changes from Mask of Power who knows).
It'd be much better to name them like the books and comics, after the actual adventure. The Radiant Isles, The Chest of Exile, Attack of Count Moneybone, etc etc.
---
#41 Posted: 19:02:13 25/05/2015
Yeah, different names would help a lot. The games don't even happen in a similar time frame - SSA 3DS is after the first console game(since the skylanders would have to fix the Core of Light before worrying about some faraway place), SG 3DS is after Giants(because the giants would've been freed back into Skylands by that time), SF 3DS is before(because the Dread-Yacht isn't horrifying), and TT 3DS is mostly likely after(same case as Giants, though considering the design changes from Mask of Power who knows).
It'd be much better to name them like the books and comics, after the actual adventure. The Radiant Isles, The Chest of Exile, Attack of Count Moneybone, etc etc.

SF 3DS coming before SF console makes sense. Perhaps SF3DS happens RIGHT before Flynn does on his vacation?
---
#42 Posted: 19:03:24 25/05/2015
Could be, since before going for a far region you'd probably want to stop by your hometown and say hi to your relatives.
---
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me