darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Swap Force > Who else thinks the art style for SF fits Skylanders more than TfB's style?
Page 1 of 1
Who else thinks the art style for SF fits Skylanders more than TfB's style? [CLOSED]
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8246
#1 Posted: 16:51:09 07/05/2015 | Topic Creator
It's just SO good. I love it. It allows for more dynamic designs for both environments and characters. They're expressions are much better too. Hell, they could do more Animaniac/Tiny Toons-esqe humor with it if they wanted too!

TfB is nice, but too bland, in my opinion.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10026
#2 Posted: 16:54:18 07/05/2015
Nope. Feels like a very basic disney cartoon(when it doesn't feel like someone slapped one-color textures on everything and called a day) and not its own thing and effort like TFB's, which has more of a otherworldly fantasy feel.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
FrozenLionheart Blue Sparx Gems: 779
#3 Posted: 17:16:55 07/05/2015
prefer usually toys for bob's character designs/animations myself, the enviroments looked more vibrant with swap force compared to trap team in my opinion. Toys for bob truthfully really shined only with the first game as a whole, with their enviroments even though the character expressions were pretty bland compared in that game.
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#4 Posted: 17:21:26 07/05/2015
Absolutely not me.

It just feels too "modern" and, as Bifrost said, Disney-ish or DreamWorks-esque as opposed to TfB's whimsical and almost "onirical" style which in my opinion suits the series perfectly.

I also think it's quite "bland" compared to SA, Giants and Trap Team.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
Plordigian Blue Sparx Gems: 626
#5 Posted: 17:46:26 07/05/2015
Both styles have merit, both devs create excellent levels. SF had the edge until TT came out; while VV's lush, airy, detailed vistas seem more appropriate for Skylands, TfB's dark style and atmospheres have been impressive since day one and improved with TT. Can't wait to see what the next game has to offer! This competition between teams really provides a lot of excitement for fans.
---
1Jn47
LameLime Yellow Sparx Gems: 1200
#6 Posted: 18:04:29 07/05/2015
Seeing the style in SSA and SG, and then seeing SSF, it just doesn't fit correctly. Looks almost entirely different. But I do like the SSF design per se.
---
NOSTALGA-LANDERS COLLECTION (Spyro's Adventure)
30/32 Skylanders -- 4/4 Levels -- 8/9 Items (Includes VV)
Missing: smilie smilie + Ghost Swords
Badwolfmichael Gold Sparx Gems: 2511
#7 Posted: 19:06:10 08/05/2015
I was going to state my opinion, but Bifrodt and Drek already said what I think.

It looks fantastic, and seems like a beautifully animated Dreamworks/Disney film when playing it, and has a sort of "squishy" look to it, and seems much more marketable than TFB
Eveb though I like it, I like how TFB is completely opposite. TFB games, especially Trap Team, look like a modern RPG fighting game, and have a "realistic" approach, that mixes cartoonish looking characters well.

VV looks great, but after a while it gets sorta old to look at, and it all looks like the same things~
While TFB has a wide variety of looks, but SSF looks like the Trees, mountains, rocks, houses, and even Skylanders are made out of colorful clay :/
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5023
#8 Posted: 20:22:02 08/05/2015
Quote: HeyitsHotDog
It's just SO good. I love it. It allows for more dynamic designs for both environments and characters. They're expressions are much better too. Hell, they could do more Animaniac/Tiny Toons-esqe humor with it if they wanted too!

TfB is nice, but too bland, in my opinion.

i must agree with this, sf style is much better.
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
4inCreation Gold Sparx Gems: 2989
#9 Posted: 21:02:22 08/05/2015
Looking at just the FIGURES from Giants and Swap Force... I think pretty much all the series 2's in Giants are an improvement over Spyro's. In Comparison, Giants and Swap Force seem pretty equal in style. Thats an accomplishment in itself.

On the other hand, I think only a few figures are a step up in Trap Team. My hopes are with VV raising the bar for the majority of them.

Also, I don't really know how much TFB or VV has to do with character design, but based on the style of the figures, I would think there is some significance.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:07:11 08/05/2015 by 4inCreation
#10 Posted: 21:20:27 08/05/2015
TFB has their own character designer which does the 3D models for both the characters and the figures. He's definately not involved in VV's games, because the thing he does the least is stick to one face/body type lazily. Except maybe for elven faces but even the comics can't find variation for them.
---
#11 Posted: 21:27:39 08/05/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: Bifrost
TFB has their own character designer which does the 3D models for both the characters and the figures. He's definately not involved in VV's games, because the thing he does the least is stick to one face/body type lazily. Except maybe for elven faces but even the comics can't find variation for them.

It was they're first Skylander game Give them a break. It doesn't mean they're poorly designed.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
#12 Posted: 21:54:11 08/05/2015
My point exactly is that they are. I'll give them a break once they make more than 2-3 good designs out of ~30, if I need to say it for the umpteenth time. If your game is about character designs and you screw that up I'll stick with who did that from the very first game.
---
TakeYourLemons Gold Sparx Gems: 2350
#13 Posted: 22:01:49 08/05/2015
I have my preference, and I suspect half of the people here will think I'm right, and the other half is wrong. smilie
#14 Posted: 22:06:30 08/05/2015 | Topic Creator
Well, TakeYourLemons sir, is your preference?
---
#15 Posted: 22:10:49 08/05/2015
Isn't saying "lazily" just your point of view? Not every human being can perform at the same level, doing the same job. Style can also be successful in consistency as well as originality.
#16 Posted: 22:18:44 08/05/2015
Well, there are more than enough artists out there that don't do the same body type over and over when I-Wei uses up effort. If they expect variety from amateurs why should it be different for game devs?

But I guess there isn't any point in discussing this for the umpteenth time,it's going to devolve into another TFB vs. VV thread+ 'but this archetype is unusual so the design doesn't matter'. When they pass the silhouette test that so many games do to stay relevant, I'll be complimenting. For now, I'll save my money for quality.
---
#17 Posted: 22:36:04 08/05/2015

I'm sure everyone here could answer it 100% correctly.
#18 Posted: 22:42:24 08/05/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: TakeYourLemons

SF's art style? Since SF seems to be your favorite of the bunch I'm just assuming.
---
#19 Posted: 23:26:27 08/05/2015
Well, there are more than enough artists out there that don't do the same body type over and over when I-Wei uses up effort. If they expect variety from amateurs why should it be different for game devs?

But I guess there isn't any point in discussing this for the umpteenth time,it's going to devolve into another TFB vs. VV thread+ 'but this archetype is unusual so the design doesn't matter'. When they pass the silhouette test that so many games do to stay relevant, I'll be complimenting. For now, I'll save my money for quality.

Those silhouettes are not a logical comparison. Swappers are supposed to have the same proportions so they look pleasing when you mix any combination. Otherwise, you wouldn't want to swap them, besides to laugh at it. The cohesiveness of the set of characters from Swap Force works well. Keep an open mind and try to enjoy both directions. If you don't like something, just let people who do enjoy it have fun. You can try to turn it into a VS thread if thats your thing, but I don't think anyone was going that way yet.
#20 Posted: 23:56:36 08/05/2015
And nobody has found swapping funny more than it's logical,except everyone when the concept was revealed? They don't need to look the same to swap the same, combining body types is how you make varied characters that look different even in silhouettes to begin with. The colors and outfits already clash, there is no excuse - again just because it's a game doesn't mean you can pat it on the head and say it's fine, not when others do better with less so their characters are recognizable even if they're black silhouettes with no acessories or outfits as I showed.

I'm not turning anything into a VS thread, I'm saying eventually someone will start bringing up other aspects to argue and eventually it'll be about bickering over opinions like all other threads. If it stays on topic of designs and aesthesics it's fine.
---
#21 Posted: 06:12:45 09/05/2015
Quote: TakeYourLemons

Obviously TfB's style.
There was no need to ask.

*hyper super giga mega ultra galactic wink*
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#22 Posted: 16:49:51 09/05/2015
I've actually hedged....both have things I like and don't like, but the edge goes to VV because of my preference for their art style (coloring could be improved to make it less cartoony).
#23 Posted: 06:33:37 14/05/2015
And nobody has found swapping funny more than it's logical,except everyone when the concept was revealed? They don't need to look the same to swap the same, combining body types is how you make varied characters that look different even in silhouettes to begin with. The colors and outfits already clash, there is no excuse - again just because it's a game doesn't mean you can pat it on the head and say it's fine, not when others do better with less so their characters are recognizable even if they're black silhouettes with no acessories or outfits as I showed.

I'm not turning anything into a VS thread, I'm saying eventually someone will start bringing up other aspects to argue and eventually it'll be about bickering over opinions like all other threads. If it stays on topic of designs and aesthesics it's fine.

You sure seem to know your stuff. Good job. Lets all bash Swap Force in a topic asking if you like the style of it.

Mind your own business next time instead of picking on my comments. It might be good for you. Oh wait, you probably already knew that since you know your stuff.
Blink182Bouncer Yellow Sparx Gems: 1659
#24 Posted: 12:40:40 14/05/2015
Well TFB has two styles, the modern one (TT) and the classic one (Giants)
Artistically VV is best for what VV is trying to do and all in all it makes Skylands feel like a much more expansive world with all its shadows and the way the camera positions itself. The classic TFB one is much more dark and mysterious but a slight bit more lighthearted in a non-cheesy way and feels a bit more fun that VVs but that migut be nostalgia bias. Modern TFB is Just bland boring and uninspired, but hey that's just me.
---
Still Waiting For Legendary Tom DeLonge To Come In The Blink-182 Triple Pack.
WHY DID THEY MAKE MATT SKIBA "CALIFORNIA EDITION EXCLUSIVE"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 12:42:30 14/05/2015 by Blink182Bouncer
#25 Posted: 23:05:22 15/05/2015
Honestly don't see that much difference between TfB Giants and TT styles.
Except maybe for the fact that TT Skylanders are a bit too... Kid's friendly.

With few exceptions (Blackout, Enigma and some more) they are all really cheerful and "cute" especially the Cores.
This isn't a bad thing but I would like some "serious" characters like Ghost Roaster or Chop Chop.

The leaked Fire Skylander seems cool/serious enough for my tastes. smilie
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#26 Posted: 03:00:06 16/05/2015
Anyone notice the lush detail and almost pastel painting style in Giants?
Gone in STT
---
#27 Posted: 13:01:14 16/05/2015
I see no difference other than the lighting. Textures are prettier, level aesthesics are great and fit the mood(or the utter confusion if we're talking about Telescope Towers), and the models are mostly alright. Giants worked with what it had in the DemonWare engine but it's not going to be the same in Alchemy engine.
---
#28 Posted: 16:44:04 16/05/2015
Hated telescope towers... It just was too all over the place and unenjoyable. But I digress.
---
#29 Posted: 18:25:14 16/05/2015
That was kind of the point. Zany, unsettling, and considering the scientists you talk to they're really that crazy in the head to create that. But I didn't experience any glitches other than when trying to get the achievement, so I don't really know if the experience ruins it more than the aesthesics.
---
#30 Posted: 23:01:48 16/05/2015
Quote: Blink182Bouncer
Gone in STT

That style was already gone in SWAP Force.

SA and Giants worked with textures A LOT while SWAP Force and Trap Team's graphic engines prefer to rely on lighting, effects and shaders.

I personally prefer the old style for characters but absolutely love the new one for the levels themselves.
They REALLY come to life.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#31 Posted: 00:19:12 17/05/2015
Quote: Drek95
Quote: Blink182Bouncer
Gone in STT

That style was already gone in SWAP Force.

SA and Giants worked with textures A LOT while SWAP Force and Trap Team's graphic engines prefer to rely on lighting, effects and shaders.

I personally prefer the old style for characters but absolutely love the new one for the levels themselves.
They REALLY come to life.

Yeah just pointing example to the two different TFB styles. As far as TFB goes if I could a game with VV character textures and lighting/graphics but Classic TFB artstyle that would be awesome
---
Dark fhoenix Emerald Sparx Gems: 3166
#32 Posted: 08:40:45 17/05/2015
SF was different and different is a great thing . So far I just get the same ol same ol vibe from TT . I tried the TT demo for IOS and I watched the TT 3DS on you Tube .

Its kinda sad but i feel a bit more excited for the DS game which i assume VV created . As to the original question , I dont believe one style is better then the other .
---
Hey Skylander your health is low and we have a chainsaw
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 08:46:59 17/05/2015 by Dark fhoenix
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me