Page 1 of 1
The Wii U version is ugly
SirKev7 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1251
#1 Posted: 22:04:09 20/03/2015 | Topic Creator
Do we have any Wii U players here? If so, what do you think of the quality? I walked in on my little brother playing the game on Wii U just now and to me, it looked horrendous. It was just so blurry. It could have something to do with the fact I've been playing on Xbox One since launch but I've been playing on the regular Wii too and I'm still surprised of how poor the Wii U version looks. Wii version aside though, I don't think there should be this big of a gap between the Xbox One and Wii U. I'd expect a gap of some sort but this? No... What resolution does it run at anyway? Does anyone else feel this way?
samuraituretsky Yellow Sparx Gems: 1430
#2 Posted: 22:08:05 20/03/2015
I haven't compared the versions, but I would think the WiiU version wouldn't be too bad. You might check how he has the WiiU connected to the TV and make sure the video settings are using the best resolution possible.
---
smilie smilie smilie smilie
TTD Hunter Gems: 6213
#3 Posted: 22:09:28 20/03/2015
I do have a copy of the Wii U version as well as the PS4 version and yes, there is a massive gap between the two, I wouldn't say that it's ugly it still looks amazing. I believe that the wii u version runs in 720p (not 100% sure on that) but judging by the quality I think it suffers from last gen parity (when a developer ports a last gen game to the Wii U without taking advantage of its superior technology). The Wii U is definitely a better looking system than the 360 & PS3 so there isn't really an excuse for it. In fact, the Wii U has more 1080p 60fps games than the PS4 & Xbox ONE!
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:12:04 20/03/2015 by TTD
blade430 Green Sparx Gems: 427
#4 Posted: 22:21:27 20/03/2015
My wallet thinks that the tablet version is ugly. The wireless portal eats up too much of my batteries.
---
"And so I arrive, like a sudden windstorm at a kindergarten picnic!"
-Dimentio
Friendzie Blue Sparx Gems: 611
#5 Posted: 22:37:33 20/03/2015
I changed from Wii U to Xbox One because the difference is just that dramatic. This is not true of all Wii U games, they just did a poor job at optimizing Skylander games for the Wii U.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:37:56 20/03/2015 by Friendzie
wavesorcerer14 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4873
#6 Posted: 22:43:48 20/03/2015
I have Skylanders Trap Team for the Wii U and the graphics don't bother me. Sure, compared to some of the other consoles the graphics could be better, but they aren't that bad.
---
"altissima quaeque flumina minimo sono labi."
skygrin Blue Sparx Gems: 852
#7 Posted: 00:14:39 21/03/2015
I don't play wii, but my friend plays it, the graphics are sucky sucky!
---
smilie gottee
AdamGregory03 Gold Sparx Gems: 2156
#8 Posted: 00:34:29 21/03/2015
From what I heard, the Wii U's quality is the same as the PS3 and 360's.
---
Golden Queen did nothing wrong and she is best evil waifu.
Check this out! Please?
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10000
#9 Posted: 00:53:32 21/03/2015
Graphics don't make the game, unless the framerate is killing the enjoyment of course.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Wolfgang Gold Sparx Gems: 2044
#10 Posted: 01:27:07 21/03/2015
Quote: Bifrost
Graphics don't make the game, unless the framerate is killing the enjoyment of course.

I definitely agree with this, and framerate issues can kill a perfectly good game. I mean, take the Jak and Daxter series was brilliant on PS2, and the Collection was still really solid on PS3 (despite the graphics not being toned up too much, aside from resolution and some textures), but the Vita version's framerate was terrible enough that I got fed up with it really quickly and stopped playing.
---
♫Cheap smoke, risin' like a spirit in the- soft glow of a New York street.
No glamour or garb can hide the animal heart inside of me.♫
mastermc54 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3448
#11 Posted: 02:41:06 21/03/2015
I'm perfectly fine with the graphics on the Wii U version. I haven't compared it to PS4 or XBox One. To those that have played on them, is there really a major difference in graphics and/or sound?
cstall04 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1050
#12 Posted: 02:43:00 21/03/2015
It's where my kids play I really don't find it to be that bad. Compared to my xbox one maybe not great but still now awful.
Swap Force Fan Emerald Sparx Gems: 4095
#13 Posted: 03:23:45 21/03/2015
Quote: SirKev7
Do we have any Wii U players here? If so, what do you think of the quality? I walked in on my little brother playing the game on Wii U just now and to me, it looked horrendous. It was just so blurry. It could have something to do with the fact I've been playing on Xbox One since launch but I've been playing on the regular Wii too and I'm still surprised of how poor the Wii U version looks. Wii version aside though, I don't think there should be this big of a gap between the Xbox One and Wii U. I'd expect a gap of some sort but this? No... What resolution does it run at anyway? Does anyone else feel this way?

I think it's just the TV. Mine just looks a little choppy to me.
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#14 Posted: 03:33:18 21/03/2015
Quote: Bifrost

Probably fair to say for skylanders gamers...I mean...that's NOT what sucked us in. I do however think it's ok for folks to be graphics snobs if that's their thing.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Kevin16 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4524
#15 Posted: 13:00:51 21/03/2015
Its not blurry at all for me, it looks beautifull, its just your tv... but of course there are better looking Wii U games like Mario Kart 8
---
what even is this site anymore lmao
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 13:02:41 21/03/2015 by Kevin16
#16 Posted: 21:32:54 21/03/2015 | Topic Creator
@Bifrost I agree 100% and I wasn't saying Trap Team can't be enjoyed on Wii U. I was just saying that there really isn't a reason for the Wii U to be this far behind in visuals.
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10000
#17 Posted: 21:42:17 21/03/2015
Well, that's a thing,especially with so many games in the console that are beautiful even with the limitations that it has compared to other consoles.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
#18 Posted: 23:01:30 21/03/2015
When SSA was created it was optimized for the Wii and looks pretty decent for a Wii game. When Trap Team was created it was optimized for the PS4 and Xbox One, and then downgraded to be compatible with the less powerful systems. I'm not a graphics junkie, but it bothers me that they downgraded it for the Wii U version far more than they should have needed to. You look at a game like Mario 3D World and it looks sharp and beautiful. Trap Team and Swap Force are both very fuzzy on the Wii U. It's just a shame that not only can Wii U players not see the game as it was intended to be seen, but they can't even see the best possible representation that their system should be able to offer.
#19 Posted: 23:13:24 21/03/2015 | Topic Creator
I found two random Lets Play videos of Trap Team. One for Wii U and one for PS4. I took a picutre of both in the hub world. Both videos were running at 720p.
Here were the results:
[User Posted Image]

Photos taken from:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lz9h0VNXPA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XETg17WhdT8
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 23:25:19 21/03/2015 by TTD
Kevin16 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4524
#20 Posted: 23:43:50 21/03/2015
It can still just be the recorder quality, trap team looks much sharper then this on my tv, it is blurry on the wii u gamepad tho
---
what even is this site anymore lmao
Portal King Yellow Sparx Gems: 1324
#21 Posted: 11:57:28 22/03/2015
I've played on the wii and wii u for every game. I don't have a ps4 or Xbox one. The only thing I feel that's bad is on the wii when you play multiplayer it's laggy and might freeze once a month. But the wii u version is ok. I agree that Mario kart 8 looked better but still good. Hopefully they put better graphics in skylanders 5 for the wii u. Have a great day everyone!!
---
You need superchargers gear in Toronto? I'm your guy.
Add me on the wii u (Mario200) see ya on the track!
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#22 Posted: 12:25:22 22/03/2015
The WiiU TT is not downgraded, because it looks almost the same as Swap Force did - and the next gen consoles were afterthought ports last year. But there is a big difference between it and the XB1/PS4 version, particularly in motion. It isn't just resolution, but that is part of it - the next gen system also have more memory and power to render things fully without any short cuts. It isn't just the TV, I've had both versions running on the same TV before, and it practically sold an XBox One to the person I was showing.

The WiiU version looks very good - until you see how much better it can look. I was one that questioned how big a step forward the new system were, but I don't anymore.
Phoenix_Lord Gold Sparx Gems: 2061
#23 Posted: 17:34:35 22/03/2015
Thats because the XBOX1 an PS4 where created after the WiiU...the next upgrade for Nintendo will be just as nice....and im not taking about the updates for the WiiU...im talking about the next system they will make. Like defpally said...the next gen systems (XBOX1/PS4) have more memory and a bigger CPU. The WiiU needs to be compared to the XBOX 360 an the PS3.
---
Theres no SuperChargers Cards. So I'm making my own... smilie
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5016
#24 Posted: 17:43:11 22/03/2015
at the pictures posted above... the blur crap starts from the tree stub and continue to the castle doors. in between that area its the absolute worse. if you play a level you dont see that kind of blur. also the ps4 version should be much better since its a nextgen. i think its just activision and tfb that takes a short cut here. when they scale down/up the graphics get less detailed and more pixelated, if not using high enough resolutions on every picture. so they use the blur effect to hide these things to save developer time. there is ps3 games that is more demanding and where the developer have taken the time to do it properly. these games have none of that blur crap at all. so all the stt games on every platforms suffer in one way or another of this blur crap.
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
Edited 4 times - Last edited at 17:51:47 22/03/2015 by CountMoneyBone
skylandersspyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 3860
#25 Posted: 22:26:31 22/03/2015
the PS4 version is much better looking
---
Uh Uh Uh! You didn't say the magic word!
seablossom Yellow Sparx Gems: 1894
#26 Posted: 00:51:58 23/03/2015
I like playing it on my gamepad moreso than the tv. I see no issue with it. The only issue I have with WiiU is that my fave games are leaving WiiU behind these days cuz of next gen quality smilie
Unreallystic Emerald Sparx Gems: 3054
#27 Posted: 12:43:22 23/03/2015
1. Stop showing single frames next to each other, that only shows a difference in color, and completely ignores the more important things such as fps, and does a poor representation of resolution.
2. The Wii U is on the level of the 360 (I won't even say PS3) hardware wise. Nintendo is an entire generation behind, there should be absolutely NO surprise that it has the weakest graphic versions.
- Unreall
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#28 Posted: 14:39:17 23/03/2015
Quote: Unreallystic
1. Stop showing single frames next to each other, that only shows a difference in color, and completely ignores the more important things such as fps, and does a poor representation of resolution.
2. The Wii U is on the level of the 360 (I won't even say PS3) hardware wise. Nintendo is an entire generation behind, there should be absolutely NO surprise that it has the weakest graphic versions.
- Unreall

WiiU is more powerful than both of those. Don't forget many times it has to render a second screen. It can easily outclass the PS3/360 in tech specs. But, yes it does very much pale compared to the XB1 and PS4. The thing is, Nintendo (wisely, in my opinion) knows it cannot keep pace on cutting edge graphics, Nintendo has a philosophy that they don't sell consoles at a loss. They focus on making their first party games compelling, and almost always succeed on that front. They did so well with the Wii because they captured an entire audience no one expected, casual gamers that thought the motion stuff was cool (Wii Sports was a great pack in). Nintendo also has a megaton of money in the bank and a stable of properties that is second to none.

On the other hand, you have Sony and MS trying to one up each other on tech specs, and they eat costs on consoles to get them in houses and make it up on software. And Sony cannot really afford it, they are massively in the red, if the PS4 wasn't as big of a hit as it is Sony would be in serious (well MORE serious) trouble.

However, I do agree that single frames are terrible demonstrations. Besides color and framerate, it tends to hide the cheap tricks like edge blurring and texture resolution.
Sboy13 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3172
#29 Posted: 15:00:35 23/03/2015
I have the Wii U version and I think it looks great. I honestly don't care much about graphics, but this was my first Skylanders game on an HD console (I used the Wii before), so it was nice just to finally have that experience.
---
Purple dragon.
Unreallystic Emerald Sparx Gems: 3054
#30 Posted: 15:50:34 23/03/2015
Quote: defpally
- Unreall

WiiU is more powerful than both of those. Don't forget many times it has to render a second screen. It can easily outclass the PS3/360 in tech specs. But, yes it does very much pale compared to the XB1 and PS4. The thing is, Nintendo (wisely, in my opinion) knows it cannot keep pace on cutting edge graphics, Nintendo has a philosophy that they don't sell consoles at a loss. They focus on making their first party games compelling, and almost always succeed on that front. They did so well with the Wii because they captured an entire audience no one expected, casual gamers that thought the motion stuff was cool (Wii Sports was a great pack in). Nintendo also has a megaton of money in the bank and a stable of properties that is second to none.

On the other hand, you have Sony and MS trying to one up each other on tech specs, and they eat costs on consoles to get them in houses and make it up on software. And Sony cannot really afford it, they are massively in the red, if the PS4 wasn't as big of a hit as it is Sony would be in serious (well MORE serious) trouble.

However, I do agree that single frames are terrible demonstrations. Besides color and framerate, it tends to hide the cheap tricks like edge blurring and texture resolution.

Two screens or one - doesn't matter, NONE of the games I have on the Wii U remotely COMPARE to what I have on the 360 or PS3, as I've mentioned before, I don't know if it's a memory size/speed issue or what that leads to such 'bland' textures and low poly counts, but it doesn't keep pace graphically with what the PS3 can do, and I'd argue 360 >= Wii U.

So with that said, I'd fully expect it to be one of the weaker versions...slower too.

And I'm not trying to complain about the system (here, I've done it numerous times in the past), I understand what Nintendo has been doing, and I'm not throwing any mud in that direction, but because 1st Party Games and Gimmicks are their preference, everything else suffers.

BTW, Nintendo COULD compete with Sony & M$ performance spec wise if they wanted too, the 360 pretty much used modified off the shelf commodity parts, and the newer consoles aren't too far removed from that concept. They've just got so much money in savings that they'd rather do low risk moves in hopes of somethign sticking to the wall, instead of swinging for the fences to gain any real market advantage (when was the last time they had DLC exclusivity or even game exclusivity, I was salty when Rayman got delayed and given to all the other consoles).

Again, its all gravy, but between all the consoles that got Trap Team, the ONLY reason I'd go Wii U over 360 or PS3 is the second screen allowing me to multi-task.

If I owned al lthe systems (only one I dont is PS4) I'd go
XBOne
PS4
Wii U (because of screen only)
PS3
- Unreall
Dahvoo Emerald Sparx Gems: 3914
#31 Posted: 17:31:56 23/03/2015
I have Wii U (since launch) and PS4 (for about 1 month) versions. The Wii U is dark and hazy compared to PS4. On PS4 everything just looks sharper/clearer and more vibrant.

My first big "wow" moment was using Night Light for the first time on the PS4. The wings just pop with detail that I never noticed on the Wii U.
---
SSA: 37/37; SG: 99/99; SSF: 174/174; STT: 254/254 & 59/59 Traps; SSC: 294/294 & 32/32 Vehicles; SI: 338/339 & 29/34 Crystals. MAX Imaginator Level: 59
TTD Hunter Gems: 6213
#32 Posted: 18:49:26 23/03/2015
Quote: Dahvoo
I have Wii U (since launch) and PS4 (for about 1 month) versions. The Wii U is dark and hazy compared to PS4. On PS4 everything just looks sharper/clearer and more vibrant.

My first big "wow" moment was using Night Light for the first time on the PS4. The wings just pop with detail that I never noticed on the Wii U.

It's the little things like the feathers on knight light's wings that add up to make the PS4 version that bit sharper.
#33 Posted: 21:57:08 23/03/2015
Quote: Dahvoo

Yeah, once u taste next gen...for me anyway...there's no going back.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#34 Posted: 23:26:44 23/03/2015
Little details usually make the difference whene they are a lot.

And the XBOX ONE/PS4 versione of Trap Tam have countless aesthetic details, and they are incredible.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
#35 Posted: 09:18:35 24/03/2015
Quote: defpally
- Unreall

Two screens or one - doesn't matter, NONE of the games I have on the Wii U remotely COMPARE to what I have on the 360 or PS3, as I've mentioned before, I don't know if it's a memory size/speed issue or what that leads to such 'bland' textures and low poly counts, but it doesn't keep pace graphically with what the PS3 can do, and I'd argue 360 >= Wii U.

So with that said, I'd fully expect it to be one of the weaker versions...slower too.

And I'm not trying to complain about the system (here, I've done it numerous times in the past), I understand what Nintendo has been doing, and I'm not throwing any mud in that direction, but because 1st Party Games and Gimmicks are their preference, everything else suffers.

BTW, Nintendo COULD compete with Sony & M$ performance spec wise if they wanted too, the 360 pretty much used modified off the shelf commodity parts, and the newer consoles aren't too far removed from that concept. They've just got so much money in savings that they'd rather do low risk moves in hopes of somethign sticking to the wall, instead of swinging for the fences to gain any real market advantage (when was the last time they had DLC exclusivity or even game exclusivity, I was salty when Rayman got delayed and given to all the other consoles).

Again, its all gravy, but between all the consoles that got Trap Team, the ONLY reason I'd go Wii U over 360 or PS3 is the second screen allowing me to multi-task.

If I owned al lthe systems (only one I dont is PS4) I'd go
XBOne
PS4
Wii U (because of screen only)
PS3
- Unreall

The hardware for the Wii U is definitely more capable than the PS3 or 360, though. If games look the same or even worse on the Wii U it's a software issue, not hardware.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 09:18:53 24/03/2015 by Friendzie
#36 Posted: 17:05:23 24/03/2015
It starts with the DEV kits, and the fact that it takes work to port to a different chip architecture. Hardware capabilities aside, this is the real reason why ports are not done well.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards...67346668?page=2
---
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me