Page 1 of 1
Rocky Roll Overview + Thoughts?
TrapShadowFan Emerald Sparx Gems: 3500
#1 Posted: 06:29:14 19/03/2015 | Topic Creator
I haven't found many videos of Rocky Roll, so can somebody break him down for me? How powerful are his attacks? Which path is best? What are some good strategies to use with him?
Buuzer Hunter Gems: 6546
#2 Posted: 09:22:31 19/03/2015
I'm uploading both path smilie
---
smilie smilie smilie youtube.com/user/GOWBuuzer smilie smilie smilie
skylandsfan Platinum Sparx Gems: 5289
#3 Posted: 12:13:50 19/03/2015
Here's a good vid of him.
---
My life will not be complete until I own Sun Dragon
#4 Posted: 12:46:49 19/03/2015 | Topic Creator
Thanks guys smilie The rolling rumbler path looks awesome!
Deja Vu Platinum Sparx Gems: 5461
#5 Posted: 14:00:14 19/03/2015
He doesn't look good on either path, slow and weak attacks :/
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#6 Posted: 16:48:53 19/03/2015
Quote: Deja Vu

I guess everything is slow and weak compared to echo, right? smilie
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
#7 Posted: 17:02:04 19/03/2015
Quote: GhostRoaster

True that smilie
Friendzie Blue Sparx Gems: 611
#8 Posted: 01:33:49 20/03/2015

He's definitely not weak or slow. Are you being serious?
GigaCamo Emerald Sparx Gems: 4288
#9 Posted: 02:06:29 20/03/2015
Quote: GhostRoaster

True that smilie

After a wave of 4 dragons he looks kinda lame. I still like him but the dragons make him look kinda bad.
Phoenix_Lord Gold Sparx Gems: 2061
#10 Posted: 04:14:19 20/03/2015
Alright alright...stop kickin' poor Rocky Roll....he's made of dirt already. smilie
---
Theres no SuperChargers Cards. So I'm making my own... smilie
#11 Posted: 06:26:33 20/03/2015
I seriously think Rocky Roll is awesome, on the dirt ball path (whatever that's called). You're shooting 3 projectiles at once which do 110 damage non-crit, and can hit multiple enemies. During downtime you get up a shield of 9 boulders to encircle you, which hit for.. what, like 40-60 if anything gets near you. He also seems to knock enemies back slightly. He's somewhat fast. I like him a lot. Echo is good too. In fact many of the wave 4 are very good. Love them.
preciousawaken Yellow Sparx Gems: 1774
#12 Posted: 16:04:23 20/03/2015

He is very slow especially with his attacks. My child and I played with him to get the upgrades...as soon as that was done she asked to put him on the shelf (and she loves everyone for the first week or two.....but definitely not him) haha
Insane01 Gold Sparx Gems: 2038
#13 Posted: 19:22:46 25/03/2015
I agree with you, Friendzie. I don't find him all that slow, and the path you're talking about is Geological Grandmaster.
For those who're nagging on him, give it a rest. So he doesn't have a Soul Gem attack that does lots of damage (Blackout's Supernova Black Hole, 450), or a primary attack that does lots of damage (Spotlight & Echo). Spotlight, if you use the rings, must time it right or the attack is stopped when hit. Echo, on the other hand, is also slow despite her powerful primary and tertiary attacks. But he has a darn good path that offers not only offense, but defensive, improvements. Plus he's rather unique, being two characters in one.
I love all of Wave 4, but could have done without the Easter stuff and have Wave 5 as the Easter items
---
" Am I the mad one or are you?"
then, again, "we're all mad here
"
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#14 Posted: 22:41:27 25/03/2015
To be honest, I wasn't expecting THAT much from him... But was positively surprised.

His attacks are really fun to use, the way Roll rolls is mesmerizing, I could watch it for hours, the fact that he damages enemies simply by touching them is great, and a nice touch, and the bouncing attack is simply hilarious, but devastating at the same time.

I went with the lower path, but haven't unlocked any upgrade, yet.

A really unexpected surprise, from an already fantastic Wave. smilie
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
#15 Posted: 23:00:10 25/03/2015 | Topic Creator
I'll hopefully be getting him tomorrow! I think I'll try the geological grandmaster path. As fun as the bouncing path sounds I usually just go for pure power!
Insane01 Gold Sparx Gems: 2038
#16 Posted: 23:07:17 25/03/2015
It goes well with his Soul Gem, TrapShadowFan. You get 9 boulders, which only does around 50 points of damage. It's great for crowd control like Chompies & Grinnades. And you can use your attacks as well.
---
" Am I the mad one or are you?"
then, again, "we're all mad here
"
Squid7201 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1139
#17 Posted: 03:22:41 26/03/2015
Echo's attacks and movments are muuuch slower than Rocky Roll's.
---
"Do you see this! I'm bein repressed! The governments repressin me!"
Monty Python and The Holy Grail.
#18 Posted: 04:57:09 26/03/2015
Rocky Roll does comparable damage to the other wave 4 that I have, especially to a large group. He is shooting 3 rocks out that each can land a separate hit for 120 (180 crit). His rate of firing is decent. He fires faster than Echo, but more importantly can move full speed while firing. I don't like all of his attacks, but the only character who can fill a screen with projectiles any better than Rocky Roll is Kaboom, but Rocky actually does more damage than Kaboom if I'm not mistaken. Hard to compare because I think Kaboom shoots slightly faster and Trap Masters do more damage to bosses.

Oh, let's not forget that Rocky Roll can bring up that 9 boulder spinning shield in a matter of a couple seconds, with each rock doing about 50 damage. This can be prepped during downtime, so any time you're going into battle you have potentially 450 damage spinning around you right off the bat.

The area where Rocky falls flat is his other attacks, the alternate form or the dash move. Neither of these is worth using regularly. But plenty of good Skylanders only rely on 1-2 buttons, only a few use all 3+ of their moves.
Edited 4 times - Last edited at 21:34:51 26/03/2015 by Friendzie
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#19 Posted: 22:11:53 26/03/2015
Quote: Friendzie
The area where Rocky falls flat is his other attacks, the alternate form or the dash move. Neither of these is worth using regularly. But plenty of good Skylanders only rely on 1-2 buttons, only a few use all 3+ of their moves.

I agree, he's as good as the other Wave 4 Cores, in terms of damages and gameplay, but I personally think he's way better with the lower path.
I found the boulders to be already powerful, even without a damage upgrade, and thought that Roll was a much more interesting "part" of him to focus on.

I love how he bounces around, and now he can also spin and punch, making him a little bit more "strategic" (for a giant bouncing boulder smilie ).
His dash is also much stronger, and I think those moves really complete the character.

Sure, there are natural spamming Skylanders *coff*Drobot*cough*, but I don't think Rocky Roll is one of them. smilie
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
#20 Posted: 22:20:50 26/03/2015 | Topic Creator
I just got him. I think I found a new favorite core skylander, second only to Blackout. I put him on his Geological Grandmaster path and all I can say is WOW.
TheShadowDragon Ripto Gems: 2886
#21 Posted: 01:24:12 27/03/2015
Both paths are good, but I liked Rumbling Roller more than Geological Grandmaster. I enjoy how Roll pops his arms out after consuming 3 to 9 round stones while Rocky rode on him like being at the rodeo.
MetaVolca Green Sparx Gems: 464
#22 Posted: 22:28:00 30/03/2015
This video is a great one. Rocky roll is an outstanding character, especially since he's 2 in 1. Also, when did you get Short Cut? I found him in NJ on the 20th of March, and got Echo and Bat Spin yesterday at Best Buy
---
"On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015
#23 Posted: 05:43:05 31/03/2015
Quote: Drek95

I agree, he's as good as the other Wave 4 Cores, in terms of damages and gameplay, but I personally think he's way better with the lower path.
I found the boulders to be already powerful, even without a damage upgrade, and thought that Roll was a much more interesting "part" of him to focus on.

I love how he bounces around, and now he can also spin and punch, making him a little bit more "strategic" (for a giant bouncing boulder smilie ).
His dash is also much stronger, and I think those moves really complete the character.

Sure, there are natural spamming Skylanders *coff*Drobot*cough*, but I don't think Rocky Roll is one of them. smilie

Some of my views are based on the fact that I spend 100% of my time on hard or nightmare difficulties, with my current goal on Trap Team being to 100% my nightmare save file. Unfortunately the only characters who end up on the portal are the ranged ones due to the fact that melee characters end up dead in seconds. Of course, I can just abuse Kaos to do most of this, but that's no fun. smilie
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 05:43:59 31/03/2015 by Friendzie
#24 Posted: 20:25:53 13/04/2015
I'm back and I tried REALLY hard but I'm not able to like him in any way. He's so slow and boring and has such a lame gameplay it's just incredible. In my shelf he broke the record for worst skylander of the year. I couldn't even finish upgrading him because I was so bored and annoyed by his non-stop deaths.
diddy50 Gold Sparx Gems: 2554
#25 Posted: 09:05:58 14/04/2015
I would say that his rock throwing attack is very strong. You want to talk about a weak damaging character, check out Blastermind. What a disappointment. Why such low damage numbers!
TakeYourLemons Gold Sparx Gems: 2350
#26 Posted: 12:27:35 14/04/2015
Blastermind's used for two things: Magic gates and occasionally unlocking a puzzle.
Sworn2Skylands Yellow Sparx Gems: 1353
#27 Posted: 20:40:45 15/04/2015
Rocky actually does more damage than Kaboom if I'm not mistaken.

When I first saw this, I was extremely skeptical and decided to test this claim. Turns out Friendzie was right; I put Ka-Boom at a reasonable distance from one of the training dummies at the academy and used the mortar attack(with soul gem upgrade purchased) and from that distance it took him about 5 seconds to set up the cannon, aim the crosshair, shoot the mortar shells and have the mortar shells hit the dummy. It was hard to tell since the shells hit so quickly in succession, but it looked to me like they did about 550 damage. In the same amount of time it takes Ka-Boom to do that, Rocky Roll can shoot about 5 sets rocks(and yes, mine was fully upgraded on Geological Grandmaster) and since Rocky Roll's rocks do 120 damage after buying the middle upgrade in the Geological Grandmaster path, here's what I came out with:

Amount of damage Ka-Boom can do in 5 seconds with the mortar attack: 550+

Amount of damage Rocky Roll can do in 5 seconds with continuous rock fire: 600

Rocky Roll > Ka-Boom

This really threw me for a loop! So Rocky Roll's attacks do add up quickly!

Anyway, as for an overview, I actually did not like this Skylander. Sure Rocky Roll is good at fighting from a range, but his other forms of attack just don't work for me. One good thing about his rock spit attacks it that (besides reasons listed above) his rocks knock enemies back and buy him more time to attack. He even gets a chargeable projectile option you can charge while moving and the rocks that his boulder mount spits become a three way projectile later too, if you choose the Geological Grandmaster path. That aside though, he has a charge attack which does really underwhelming damage(even if you go down the path that enhances it) and is kind of clunky, an attack where he creates rocks that orbit his boulder mount, and a "bouncy attack mode", which requires him to be in pointblank range of an enemy to deal damage. He can move while using it, but even though it has mobile uses and does 100+ damage per hit, the fact that you have to get so darn close to an opponent, that it has a lengthy start up time and that it's kind of clunky are really annoying and make it almost impossible to use safely in my experience. Usually(for me) using him goes like this: You pound enemies from afar with rocks until they close in, at which point you switch in a villain who can move while attacking in close or mid range(like Threatpack, Buzzer Beak or Tussle Sprout) to clean up.

That being said, Rocky Roll pretty much just spams Attack 1. Of course, it you want a Skylander that depends on a single attack button, Skylanders like Drobot or Sonic Boom would be better picks.
Wally-Gang Gold Sparx Gems: 2987
#28 Posted: 22:29:34 28/04/2015
Haven't had them all that long and only played with them a little. They seem as though they are pretty tough as far as taking damage goes. As far as the speed thing goes, they appear to be slow when alone in the game, but when playing with someone else they can definitely keep up and sometimes run away. The speed is very deceiving. The spitballs give the same feeling, slow to fire but all of a sudden they are wailing away on opponents. All in all I think they will end up as one of the really fun ones to play.
---
"Come rang or shine"
Still troubled by him speaking
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me