Page 1 of 1
gates
melvimbe Yellow Sparx Gems: 1327
#1 Posted: 20:45:19 22/02/2015 | Topic Creator
I thought I'd create a frivolous topic about the various gates in Skylands. Key gates, battle gates (whatever they're called), elemental gates, puzzle gates, and the various other tasks you have to do before you can move from one area to another.

My favorite gate would have to be the elemental gates, mainly because there's always something good behind them. Battle gates are up there too.

I don't care to play skystones smash (or whatever game is in the current version) as a means of opening a gate or getting a key. They should be side distractions only. They simply take too long and screw up the rhythm of the game so to speak. Not to mention that you can't skip through the dialogue. Lock puzzles are similar although they can be fun the 1st time through. After that, it's just annoying. Bridges and keys, I'm indifferent

If VV is listening, how about a feature where all gates (except maybe battle gates) that you've already been through are open after the first run through? I play a level repeatedly not because I want to do the same tedious tasks over again (they are good once, maybe twice), I'm hitting the areas and collectibles I missed the first time. Or maybe because I want the battle experience and gold to level up, or beat a time challenge to get stars.

Oh, and bring back feats of strength.
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10026
#2 Posted: 20:57:34 22/02/2015
Why are you making a topic just to request stuff for the next game; they aren't going to listen to a lone person especially outside the Activision forums.
Also that's just your opinion, I like Skystones and if the guys have easy cards,that's what the Skip Animation button is for in mandatory sequences. I also like lock puzzles since it's pretty fast paced even if you're doing it wrong,unlike in Giants and SSA where you have to go several ways around to go back to a winning position.
For both,there's also the buyable cheats.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:57:52 22/02/2015 by Bifrost
Badwolfmichael Gold Sparx Gems: 2511
#3 Posted: 21:17:40 22/02/2015
Quote: melvimbe
I thought I'd create a frivolous topic about the various gates in Skylands. Key gates, battle gates (whatever they're called), elemental gates, puzzle gates, and the various other tasks you have to do before you can move from one area to another.

My favorite gate would have to be the elemental gates, mainly because there's always something good behind them. Battle gates are up there too.

I don't care to play skystones smash (or whatever game is in the current version) as a means of opening a gate or getting a key. They should be side distractions only. They simply take too long and screw up the rhythm of the game so to speak. Not to mention that you can't skip through the dialogue. Lock puzzles are similar although they can be fun the 1st time through. After that, it's just annoying. Bridges and keys, I'm indifferent

If VV is listening, how about a feature where all gates (except maybe battle gates) that you've already been through are open after the first run through? I play a level repeatedly not because I want to do the same tedious tasks over again (they are good once, maybe twice), I'm hitting the areas and collectibles I missed the first time. Or maybe because I want the battle experience and gold to level up, or beat a time challenge to get stars.

Oh, and bring back feats of strength.

But... The only time you're required to play Skystones is when they are teaching you how to play it/first level you play it, and the one time in Monster Marsh, and at the very end of The Golden Queen level.
3 times... That's not that much at all, ... and for me, It's quite fun!~

Lock puzzles.. some of those are hard, and do get me out of "the rhythm of the level"
Thats why I buy lots of lock puzzle keys smilie

Quote: melvimbe

Whoa now this part I disagree with!

the only time these.. uh, Gates felt "tedious", or I didn't want to do them was when I had hard Lock puzzles, which, I for one, like using my brain to think out those things. The levels this time around, well, some of them are quite short, and if I want a collectible, I'm not mad or anything when most levels are very short, or I actually enjoy playing them.

There aren't really any levels I stress over or don't want to play, so, I don't see your reasoning behind any of this~

Also, like Bifrost said, this is a pretty drastic change, and most likely won't happen.

~BadWolf
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 21:19:36 22/02/2015 by Badwolfmichael
StormDragon21 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5550
#4 Posted: 23:54:51 22/02/2015
^They also require you to play in Telescope Towers and Skyhighlands(twice, both times with Hawkmungous.
---
"sTORM, my parents just told me something that RUINED MY LIFE. DID YOU KNOW that Smarties have different flavors?!" ~ShadowMewX
Badwolfmichael Gold Sparx Gems: 2511
#5 Posted: 23:59:00 22/02/2015
Quote: StormDragon21
^They also require you to play in Telescope Towers and Skyhighlands(twice, both times with Hawkmungous.

Oh... Well then...

ITS STILL NOT MUCH.

I like playing Skystones anyways~ and 5 times out of the entire game isn't bad?
#6 Posted: 00:12:10 23/02/2015
Yeah,and 200 per skystones cheat mean you're spending 1k to skip all of them.Trap Team is so generous with gold you'll get that even before getting Chomp Chest.
---
#7 Posted: 01:17:48 23/02/2015 | Topic Creator
Wow, didn't think people would get offended. I didn't say all puzzles needed to go away. I just didn't want the skystones game to be a required gate, and I wanted an option (I guess I didn't state that clearly) to bypass gates after the first time through (for the gates you've already been through). If a player wants to redo the gates, then he can. I want the option to skip them.

And of course it's just an opinion. And no, I doubt VV cares a flip, I'm not their demographic. I'm just through a topic out there for discussion since there is little else to talk about these days.
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#8 Posted: 03:50:47 23/02/2015
Yeah, people forget this entire site is nothing but an opinion. Stating "that's your opinion" is not only obvious but shows the lack of conversational ability we have here.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Friendzie Blue Sparx Gems: 611
#9 Posted: 04:22:00 23/02/2015
I completely agree with eliminating Skystones and other mini-games, actually. No content in Skylanders should be bypassing the "toys to life" concept. When you're in a lock puzzle, playing Skystones, or even using a turret, your toy is hardly coming to life. It's the same kind of thing you'd find in any other game, and has nothing to do with what you have on the portal. All the gameplay in Skylanders should be based around what's on the portal. If they want a mini-game, make the game involve your Skylander directly.

If you happen to enjoy Skystones and the lock puzzles, there are cheap games out there with this kind of gameplay that have nothing to do with toys to life, many of which are way better at creating engaging puzzles. For example, if you want a free card game to mess around with, go play Hearthstone. Skylanders should always be about playing your Skylander. This is one reason I dislike the story mode and mostly stick to arenas and challenges.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 04:27:52 23/02/2015 by Friendzie
Phoenix_Lord Gold Sparx Gems: 2061
#10 Posted: 05:39:58 23/02/2015
I like the Skystone games its fun and the puzzles arn't a problem for me...but if you don't like pay'in for the cheats(not like you don't make it back in no time) just get Blastermind His final power up "Lock Puzzle Psychic" opens the puzzle locks for free.
---
Theres no SuperChargers Cards. So I'm making my own... smilie
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#11 Posted: 07:18:19 23/02/2015
I personally like, and don't mind lock puzzles or any other kind of puzzle.

Yes, I agree, the kinda "break" the gameplay (not the rythm), and you don't really take advantage of your Skylander (this may change, in the future), but they aren't a problem, I got used to small puzzles in games.

Even the mandatory ones are quite quick.

But, don't want to sound rude, I don't think this is the right place to post a topic like this.
It's not only about Trap Team, so, maybe a general discussion area of the forum would be better. smilie
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
#12 Posted: 12:24:59 23/02/2015
Quote: GhostRoaster
Yeah, people forget this entire site is nothing but an opinion. Stating "that's your opinion" is not only obvious but shows the lack of conversational ability we have here.

Thanks, I really appreciate when people judge what I can say by one sentence, quite the ability there.

But I didn't get offended, it's just the tone of "should" and "I don't care about X" that felt more like you were trying to speak for others,melvimbe. But again, you can skip Lockmaster gates and skystones every time as long as you have a cheat - and by TT you have acess to those as soon as the first level is over(and on Giants,much before the gates become abundant,etc). I only use them when trying to keep the pace on time limits, but being so cheap there's little reason to not buy them if you really don't like stopping for a puzzle.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 12:25:47 23/02/2015 by Bifrost
Friendzie Blue Sparx Gems: 611
#13 Posted: 15:19:32 23/02/2015
Quote: Bifrost

Thanks, I really appreciate when people judge what I can say by one sentence, quite the ability there.

But I didn't get offended, it's just the tone of "should" and "I don't care about X" that felt more like you were trying to speak for others,melvimbe. But again, you can skip Lockmaster gates and skystones every time as long as you have a cheat - and by TT you have acess to those as soon as the first level is over(and on Giants,much before the gates become abundant,etc). I only use them when trying to keep the pace on time limits, but being so cheap there's little reason to not buy them if you really don't like stopping for a puzzle.

If I have to replay a story level a few times to find all the collectibles, that's a lot of skips I'm going to have to buy. What if you had to pay gold to skip cutscenes? Would that also be okay?
#14 Posted: 17:00:27 23/02/2015
Nope,that wouldn't,because that isn't gameplay. But as I said in an earlier post, it's not a lot of skips for the first time, it's 5 Skystone Cheats and around 10 mandatory lockmaster imp keys - one thousand gold and two thousand gold. If you want to explore every corner of the level,you'll probably get enough gold to stock up on extra ones as well.
---
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#15 Posted: 17:44:36 23/02/2015
Nope,that wouldn't,because that isn't gameplay. But as I said in an earlier post, it's not a lot of skips for the first time, it's 5 Skystone Cheats and around 10 mandatory lockmaster imp keys - one thousand gold and two thousand gold. If you want to explore every corner of the level,you'll probably get enough gold to stock up on extra ones as well.

Or just buy Blastermind, at least for the Lock Puzzles.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
#16 Posted: 01:10:57 24/02/2015 | Topic Creator

I didn't interpret ghostroaster's comment as judging you. He referred to 'people' and 'we', not you specifically. He did use your post as an example though. As far as my comments, did you honestly say that my sentence starting with 'I' felt like I was trying to speak for others? Really? If I was trying to speak for others, wouldn't I start with 'We'?

As for the cheats, I've never used them. Not crazy about buying cheats for something I can figure out, but that's my mental hangup. I (and I speak for myself in this) feel like the game should (and I mean the game would be a better product) have a setting or option to skip gates you've already past through previously. For one thing, it would be easier to tell where I've been previously if the gates are opened. BTW, the time spent in lock puzzles and skystones doesn't factor into your time limit on a level. I believe it doesn't count the cut scenes either.
#17 Posted: 11:27:42 24/02/2015
It doesn't, I know, but it helps keep up the pace.
And I'm pretty sure there was a better way for GR to go about it instead of saying I don't know how to make an argument, but I'll leave it at that before someone pulls the flame card.
Well, some people still like the puzzles, and if you don't like them and don't want to skip them that's still a fact. Activision can't please everyone.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 11:28:30 24/02/2015 by Bifrost
Greeble Emerald Sparx Gems: 4276
#18 Posted: 12:07:59 24/02/2015
It doesn't, I know, but it helps keep up the pace.
And I'm pretty sure there was a better way for GR to go about it instead of saying I don't know how to make an argument, but I'll leave it at that before someone pulls the flame card.
Well, some people still like the puzzles, and if you don't like them and don't want to skip them that's still a fact. Activision can't please everyone.

*Pulls out an extinguisher to put out the flames* Much better smilie

You make a valid point, and i don't mind saying it.

I personally am not a fan of the Trap Team puzzles, because i find them a little bit of a pain compared to the earlier ones, but that's just me and they may be very simple and i've missed something which is highly likely.

Anywho is it really something to fight over?

*hands out cookies*
---
^ You all know it's true
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me