Page 1 of 1
Pirate copy messgae [CLOSED]
Jaggedstar Diamond Sparx Gems: 7660
#1 Posted: 19:59:32 01/09/2014 | Topic Creator
[User Posted Image]

How did that message get there..Did Insomniac put it in or did someone else?
---
Quote: Paytawn
oh my god
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6071
#2 Posted: 20:13:38 01/09/2014
Insomniac did that. Their anti-piracy measures for the game were so good that it took ten years before anyone could totally get past them.
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9212
#3 Posted: 20:27:33 01/09/2014
Lol, Insomniac started to get wise to all these pirate copies.
---
Crash Bandicoot is over-rated
#4 Posted: 14:21:26 02/09/2014 | Topic Creator
Ah, thank you smilie
---
oh my god
Tynesider Yellow Sparx Gems: 1612
#5 Posted: 14:38:43 02/09/2014
The beauty of its anti-piracy measures is that I believe each copy messed up the game in a completely different way. In my pirated version (smash the system!) it wouldn't let me go back to Midday Gardens and Evening Lake, for instance. The only constants were Zoe telling you 'lol, you're screwed bro' and going to fight the Sorceress spitting you out in Sunrise Spring.
---
GANN VOORT ET KRAENEN!!!
#6 Posted: 20:08:38 02/09/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: Tynesider
The beauty of its anti-piracy measures is that I believe each copy messed up the game in a completely different way. In my pirated version (smash the system!) it wouldn't let me go back to Midday Gardens and Evening Lake, for instance. The only constants were Zoe telling you 'lol, you're screwed bro' and going to fight the Sorceress spitting you out in Sunrise Spring.

Woah, do you have/can you get pictures??
---
oh my god
robbiepayne97 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1891
#7 Posted: 22:59:38 02/09/2014
I'm glad I have all of the original Spyro games! smilie
---
furry for 13 years and counting! <3
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6071
#8 Posted: 00:34:15 03/09/2014
Me, too. I didn't even know game piracy was a thing until the mid-2000s, when I was in my late 20s. XD
bionicle2809 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8438
#9 Posted: 03:08:43 03/09/2014

I seem to remember something along the lines that when you defeated the final boss, it reloaded you back to the very beginning of the game with all your progress lost. It was quite clever actually, because the game seemed fine apart from the early message until you'd invested hours into playing it.
Tynesider Yellow Sparx Gems: 1612
#10 Posted: 13:01:25 03/09/2014
Quote: Jaggedstar

Woah, do you have/can you get pictures??

I'm afraid not. I haven't owned a PS1 since about 2007, so I couldn't play the game to take pictures. That said the disc itself might still be lying around - I'll have a look later tonight.

Quote: bionicle2809

I seem to remember something along the lines that when you defeated the final boss, it reloaded you back to the very beginning of the game with all your progress lost. It was quite clever actually, because the game seemed fine apart from the early message until you'd invested hours into playing it.

That was one of the constants, yeah. I think the point of the measures was it disrupted the game without you knowing it before hitting you with one last sucker punch. Bar Zoe's message at the beginning the problems weren't dropped on you with a message of 'serves you right', but you gradually notice them as you're going through, and just when you think 'meh, I might not be able to do that but at least I can get through the game', the Sorceress encounter resets your progress. The execution is quite beautiful, really. smilie

Y'know, did Insomniac do this with their other titles? I haven't heard similar stories emanate from pirate copies of Ratchet and Clank. Then again, despite having plenty of cracked PS1 games pirate PS2 games never found their way into my hands, so maybe the PS2 was more sophisticated in dealing with fakes. Can anyone confirm?
---
GANN VOORT ET KRAENEN!!!
Jacques Green Sparx Gems: 383
#11 Posted: 23:14:25 03/09/2014
I nearly freaked when I saw this because I was literally just reading about this last night and was going to make a thread today about it.

This is crazy though. I think it's hilarious how they tease you like "yeah! you can play" but then get revenge of flushing your time down a toilet.
---
"What are you saving your money for, another sequel?"
#12 Posted: 10:40:39 11/09/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: Jacques
I nearly freaked when I saw this because I was literally just reading about this last night and was going to make a thread today about it.

This is crazy though. I think it's hilarious how they tease you like "yeah! you can play" but then get revenge of flushing your time down a toilet.

Evil Insomniac smilie
---
oh my god
Arc of Archives Yellow Sparx Gems: 1486
#13 Posted: 03:43:38 14/09/2014
I had a pirate copy in 2001 and it acted like normal aside from having Zoe's message. Didn't delete save or anything with the Sorceress. I might have beat the game with a Platinum copy, though, don't remember. I still have that copy so I can check it later.

Off-topic, but this cut anti-piracy message is one of the best:

[User Posted Image]
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:44:34 14/09/2014 by Arc of Archives
#14 Posted: 10:43:03 14/09/2014 | Topic Creator
^I burst out laughing smilie must be fun to be a game developer!
---
oh my god
Wolfgang Gold Sparx Gems: 2044
#15 Posted: 16:34:56 27/09/2014
I recently chipped my PS1, so I'll have to give this a try.
---
♫Cheap smoke, risin' like a spirit in the- soft glow of a New York street.
No glamour or garb can hide the animal heart inside of me.♫
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9016
#16 Posted: 02:15:28 28/09/2014
I'm still partial to Earthbound's trick of freezing your game at the final boss and proceeding to corrupt your save file after you reset the game. Well played, HAL. ^.^
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
#17 Posted: 13:29:16 01/10/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: HIR
I'm still partial to Earthbound's trick of freezing your game at the final boss and proceeding to corrupt your save file after you reset the game. Well played, HAL. ^.^

Well played indeed smilie
---
oh my god
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me