Poll

What game do you want next?
View Results
First | Previous | Page 54 of 54
1 2 3 ... 48 49 50 51 52 53 54
Unpopular Opinions [STICKY]
Metallo Platinum Sparx Gems: 5912
#2651 Posted: 23:51:43 29/03/2021
Debates don't change minds, experience and empathy do.

As everyone here knows, I hold many strong beliefs. Not a single damn one of them came from an argument. I developed them over the course of my life, either by way of my own experiences or my direct observation of others. This is the natural way of things, and I wouldn't expect anyone else to feel any differently.

For these reasons, I now only engage in sociopolitical debates with close friends - people I have known for years. To anyone else, I'm glad to talk generally about my beliefs, and maybe have a little back-and-forth on a single issue or two, but I draw the line pretty shortly afterwards. Because when you engage in that sort of argument with someone you don't share a foundation with, it can quickly become a pissing contest, no matter how mature or understanding you think you are. I've made a fool out of myself more than once.
ThunderEgg Yellow Sparx Gems: 1882
#2652 Posted: 16:27:08 16/04/2021
saying something is "inspired by miyazaki" means nothing anymore. it's just a buzzword phrase. i wonder if it meant anything to begin with.

i love ghibli films and miyazaki's work, but people have bastardized the phrase in order to get a bigger audience for their tangentially related products. which is understandable based on the way the world is currently structured, but it makes me sad. saying your work is inspired by him is just a hollow turnoff for me now; you're trying to pretend your work is subversive and counter-cultural when it's quite the opposite.
---
I AM ETERNAL!
Erikatastrophe Green Sparx Gems: 337
#2653 Posted: 19:26:38 26/04/2021
I don't believe in relief medicine.
---
"You already said that." - Veruca Salt, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005)
Clank Gold Sparx Gems: 2287
#2654 Posted: 06:11:53 04/05/2021
This thread sucks and has contributed to the decline of this site's activity
---
"*runs around like a headless gnorc*" ~Jaggedstar©
Metallo Platinum Sparx Gems: 5912
#2655 Posted: 03:36:48 08/05/2021
Convenience store shawarma is delicious
somePerson Platinum Sparx Gems: 6284
#2656 Posted: 04:41:40 08/05/2021 | Topic Creator
Quote: Clank
This thread sucks and has contributed to the decline of this site's activity

true.
---
p
#2657 Posted: 07:20:13 10/06/2021 | Topic Creator
pet peeve with people complaining about companies trying to look woke. like what else do you guys want? companies don't do anything, oh they're anti lgbt. they put up support, oh they're not doing enough and need to donate. they donate, oh theyre not donating enough. they donate even more, oh theyre just doing it to look good.

the fact that companies are able to market and make money with pride stuff is proof that the lgbt community is actually acceptable and being normalized. like there's no way this could have happened 20 years ago. heck 10 years ago everybody said "oh that's gay" as an insult. plus keep in mind a lot of companies that do pride stuff have workers who asked them to participate in the events. like honestly complaining about it just seems like being nitpicky for the sake of being nitpicky vs capitalism.

the memes are still funny tho
---
p
ThunderEgg Yellow Sparx Gems: 1882
#2658 Posted: 22:15:30 10/06/2021
imo you still get hatecrimed for being any variety of lgbt. no amount of pride merch is going to solve that problem.

like, it's nice if you have the money to buy it, but a rainbow shirt does nothing for the lgbt folks who can barely afford the cost of being alive. it'd be better if the money going to cooperations were going to individual lgbt people selling pride-themed stuff.
---
I AM ETERNAL!
Vespi Gold Sparx Gems: 2474
#2659 Posted: 23:35:04 10/06/2021
Quote: ThunderEgg
imo you still get hatecrimed for being any variety of lgbt. no amount of pride merch is going to solve that problem.

like, it's nice if you have the money to buy it, but a rainbow shirt does nothing for the lgbt folks who can barely afford the cost of being alive. it'd be better if the money going to cooperations were going to individual lgbt people selling pride-themed stuff.

better off: dont even support capitalism. fund lgbt people directly
#2660 Posted: 00:39:37 11/06/2021 | Topic Creator
Quote: Vespi
Quote: ThunderEgg

better off: dont even support capitalism. fund lgbt people directly

yeah true. if you really want to support people of the lgbt directly who are suffering helping them out directly is probably the best way. however, every charity gets donations because of tax breaks so most of them would rather get money from businesses and super rich people anyways. however, I feel like people also focus way too much on charities and big donation numbers when they can instead be volunteering and helping out the community.

is it also a hot take to say that for profit charities arent that bad? like you need to buy workers too you know?
---
p
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:41:33 11/06/2021 by somePerson
First | Previous | Page 54 of 54
1 2 3 ... 48 49 50 51 52 53 54

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me