Page 1 of 1
Some new Beta text and level names? [CLOSED]
Slvr99 Blue Sparx Gems: 880
#1 Posted: 02:11:22 01/05/2014 | Topic Creator
Hello all! I believe to have found some early text from the Spyro 3 Beta. Odd to think nobody looked here. These were found in the earliest public beta of the game. Forgive me if these were already found, but I've never seen these things anywhere.

Level 27
Level 28
Level 37
Level 38
Level 47
Level 48
Level 50

Placeholder names for some levels that either weren't named or weren't updated at the time with their name. Level 27 and 28 are in Midday Gardens. Level 37 and 38 are for Evening Lake. Level 47, 48, and 50 are for Midnight Mountain. Here's my predictions for what they were for:
Level 27 - Spider Town(Sparx World)
Level 28 - Spike's Arena
Level 37 - Starfish Reef(Sparx World)
Level 38 - Scorch's Pit
Level 47 - Bugbot Factory(Sparx World)
Level 48 - Sorceress's Lair
Level 50 - Super Bonus Round
Those are based on what is missing in the list and the pattern...

Oddly, Cloud Spires is named Cloud City in this build.

Haunted Tombs is called Catacomb Caverns.

Dino Mines is called Dry Gulch.

The text "Guidebook" is in this build, and "Atlas" is nowhere to be found. This could mean the Atlas was still called the Guidebook in this build.

Grouped with the options are "HUB2HUB"(Yes, that's how it is), "Boss 2", "Boss 3", and "Boss 4". Possibly just placeholders to fix some sort of bug?

Although not used in game, this error message is amusing: "**** **** **** **** **** - out of memory for book vram - %d bytes".
These are bleeped by this site, but you could guess what it says.

That's all I've found, but who knows. Maybe there's more.
Darchangel Blue Sparx Gems: 627
#2 Posted: 14:22:11 01/05/2014
Wait, curse words in a Spyro game? Could you give me a hint on which (I have a guess) what's the first and last letter?
---
>N< "Everyone knows I'm in over my head."
I'll Start Trying In September
#3 Posted: 14:47:06 01/05/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: Darchangel
Wait, curse words in a Spyro game? Could you give me a hint on which (I have a guess) what's the first and last letter?

F--k. Yep, they cursed in a Spyro game. It's actually just an internal error for the Pause Menu Atlas/Guidebook, but still it's pretty cool. Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly has some very amusing errors as well. It's cool how some developers make fun of problems similar to Insomniac and "The Shemp".
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:49:07 01/05/2014 by Slvr99
theuone Platinum Sparx Gems: 6184
#4 Posted: 20:02:44 01/05/2014
well, that is quite the oddity, curse words, hah. I am still hopeful that one of those level warp codes could send you to a secret test level, after all, if you do o and some other button, you'll get one of those black or multi-colored screens or things of the sort.
---
On board Spyro Reignited hype, Choo choo!
Thanks to BlackWing116 for the Chimera drawing
Metaphorical phantom here, Blame everything lol.
#5 Posted: 21:27:25 01/05/2014 | Topic Creator
That is HIGHLY unlikely. We have a Level viewer for all the Spyro games and according to that level viewer, there's no unused level except for the Dino Mines Arena.
RadSpyro Gold Sparx Gems: 2007
#6 Posted: 00:02:59 02/05/2014
Haha, I love these little hidden messages. The old level names are interesting too. Nice finds again!
---
TUMBLR
DEVIANTART
Visit me and stuff.
Darchangel Blue Sparx Gems: 627
#7 Posted: 15:37:06 02/05/2014
Quote: Slvr99
Quote: Darchangel

F--k. Yep, they cursed in a Spyro game. It's actually just an internal error for the Pause Menu Atlas/Guidebook, but still it's pretty cool. Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly has some very amusing errors as well. It's cool how some developers make fun of problems similar to Insomniac and "The Shemp".

I'm almost surprised you actually answered. Thanks a bunch though.
That is pretty funny.
---
>N< "Everyone knows I'm in over my head."
I'll Start Trying In September
DragonDog Ripto Gems: 1798
#8 Posted: 18:10:43 02/05/2014
When I make video games (that's my dream job smilie) I will purposely leave funny little messages and glitches to interest hackers. smilie
On topic:
I actually like some of the placeholder/original names better. They actually makes some since. Cloud City and Catacomb Caverns really make those two levels sound more interesting then they actually are. (And sound a little more creative...)
#9 Posted: 01:57:00 03/05/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: DragonDog
When I make video games (that's my dream job smilie) I will purposely leave funny little messages and glitches to interest hackers. smilie
On topic:
I actually like some of the placeholder/original names better. They actually makes some since. Cloud City and Catacomb Caverns really make those two levels sound more interesting then they actually are. (And sound a little more creative...)

Cloud City sounds really boring. Catacomb Caverns is really cool though! And when I make a game(also my dream job and currently working on getting that a reality!), I too want to put in funny things to interest hackers or glitchers. But my goal is to have a glitch-free game.
JCW555 Hunter Gems: 8532
#10 Posted: 14:56:29 18/05/2014
Quote: Slvr99
Quote: DragonDog
On topic:

Cloud City sounds really boring. Catacomb Caverns is really cool though! And when I make a game(also my dream job and currently working on getting that a reality!), I too want to put in funny things to interest hackers or glitchers. But my goal is to have a glitch-free game.

I'm sorry, but a glitch free game? There has never, nor will ever be a glitch free game.
---
You gotta believe! Heh heh.
#11 Posted: 15:29:39 19/05/2014 | Topic Creator
I've never ever heard of a glitch in some games for the PS1 like Parappa the Rapper, Vib Ribbon, and other games in the music genre. And yes, Adventure games probably will never be glitch free, but consider what I said as a hyperbole. I want to try to make a game and make sure there are very little glitches as possible. I would go through extensive testing and fix anything that comes up.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me