Page 1 of 1
Boring. [CLOSED]
onslaught Blue Sparx Gems: 721
#1 Posted: 15:33:44 15/04/2014 | Topic Creator
Do you guys agree that SSF is boring? Giants is REALLY boring. I feel that SSF and SG are just rip offs of SSA. although this website is awesome, skylanders isn't in my opinion swap force just adds 32 new characters which half of them aren't original.I like the characters but not the gameplay.Sorry if this is a Little off-topic I just didn't know where to post it.
---
<(".<) (>".)> Two Kirbys.
wreckingballbob Emerald Sparx Gems: 4565
#2 Posted: 16:17:56 15/04/2014
SSA was definitely the most fun. The reason I like Swap Force more is because it has characters from all three games.
---
#3 Posted: 16:29:34 15/04/2014 | Topic Creator
WBB I agree If I'd like SSF or sg more its ONLY because of the new Characters honestly I think SSA is kinda like a forgotten game it makes me feel kinda sad DX
---
Hexin_Wishes Yellow Sparx Gems: 1522
#4 Posted: 16:34:44 15/04/2014
They're all terrible games with the gimmick of leveling up each character being what brings in replayability. Absolute utter mindless fluff, but enjoyable at moments (the dialogue between Kaos' Mom and Kaos was funny).
#5 Posted: 16:43:23 15/04/2014
They're are not all terrible games at all.
---
#6 Posted: 16:50:06 15/04/2014 | Topic Creator
I'm kinda on both of ur sides bcz I don't hate skylanders but its not that great in my opinion im more into Super Smash Bros.
---
Unreallystic Emerald Sparx Gems: 3054
#7 Posted: 17:53:35 15/04/2014
If someone from Activision is reading, here is another get money easy schemes.

Release a special edition of Skylanders 4 on the XBOne that includes SSA & Giants with all the new characters playable. Want to jack up the price a bit? Make the figures Ghost Roaster (Lightcore), Boomer (Lightcore) and Whamshell (Lightcore).

SSA was my favorite gameplay wise, it just felt more intense and 'larger' than Giants and Swap Force. Giants felt the most polished. Swap Force...I like the arena and the Swap characters.
- Unreall
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8236
#8 Posted: 17:56:44 15/04/2014
Quote: Unreallystic

Release a special edition of Skylanders 4 on Wii U, XBOne and PS4, that includes SSA & Giants with all the new characters playable. Want to jack up the price a bit? Make the figures Ghost Roaster (Lightcore), Boomer (Lightcore) and Whamshell (Lightcore).

SSA was my favorite gameplay wise, it just felt more intense and 'larger' than Giants and Swap Force. Giants felt the most polished. Swap Force...I like the arena and the Swap characters.
- Unreall

I'd love the same thing. With the ability to jump and the graphics of Swap Force.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:57:23 15/04/2014 by HeyitsHotDog
Wreckingball13 Gold Sparx Gems: 2583
#9 Posted: 18:24:00 15/04/2014
SSA was the only game I liked
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#10 Posted: 18:57:41 15/04/2014
Quote: HeyitsHotDog
I'd love the same thing. With the ability to jump and the graphics of Swap Force.

Jumping in SSA or Giants would either be pointless or game breaking. You either won't be able to jump high enough to get on top of things, or you will be able to skip areas by simply jumping over the things blocking the path. The whole point of jumping in Swap Force is to reach higher ground, as you cannot attack while jumping it has no purpose in combat. There is no higher ground you are meant to explore in the first two games without other means of reaching it.
Arc of Archives Yellow Sparx Gems: 1486
#11 Posted: 19:09:05 15/04/2014
^ Avoiding attacks. It's been surprisingly useful for that a couple of times where an attack juuust misses my Skylander when I jump away. That said though it does seem kinda pointless against most of the enemy attacks from SA/Giants(but others like lava trails and shockwaves actually could be avoided), and I don't know if it would be worth bothering to impliment it.
#12 Posted: 19:11:31 15/04/2014
Quote: defpally

Jumping in SSA or Giants would either be pointless or game breaking. You either won't be able to jump high enough to get on top of things, or you will be able to skip areas by simply jumping over the things blocking the path. The whole point of jumping in Swap Force is to reach higher ground, as you cannot attack while jumping it has no purpose in combat. There is no higher ground you are meant to explore in the first two games without other means of reaching it.

I just want it for fun honestly. That was the only thing that I didn't like about the first two. Made it feel limited. Just add invisible walls to areas you can't access yet. Bounce pads would still be there, unless the Skylander can reach the area by jumping. Fire Kracken and Rattle Shake both have attacks while jumping as well. Say they did remake the first two games, without jumping, then what would happen to the those attacks?
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 19:16:12 15/04/2014 by HeyitsHotDog
DaMadNes Blue Sparx Gems: 944
#13 Posted: 20:33:51 15/04/2014
They are all fun to me. Swap Force can get a bit tedious in story mode because you are forced to switch so frequently, due to elemental gates and swap zoness, making me walk back and forth a lot. Maybe I am just easier to please.
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#14 Posted: 22:54:31 15/04/2014
I liked them all...each has advantages and disadvantages. I'd like them to set up their content on the mechanics other than story mode and battle mode.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Pyrofer Gold Sparx Gems: 2495
#15 Posted: 14:32:02 16/04/2014
I think if they included SSA and SG in 4 they could just nerf the jump ability to make it work. I wouldn't mind that.
They would obviously have to block giants in SSA levels too but would be great to play all the core characters in the older levels. I wouldn't even mind paying to unlock them (not a lot though).

Would be great to be able to replay the old levels without having to load a different game, especially as my Giants disc is scratched and doesn't load properly in places.
yelvy Gold Sparx Gems: 2450
#16 Posted: 17:01:03 16/04/2014
Yes, after the first game (which I liked purely for the fact of playing as Spyro) it got boring. But what else do you expect? Activision are only trying to get money!
BahamutBreaker Yellow Sparx Gems: 1191
#17 Posted: 19:31:55 16/04/2014
I loved SSA and Giants both equally. I'll never understand the perceived hate for Giants ... the levels in that game are unique and interesting and fun and entertaining.

Swap Force, however, in my opinion, is/was a step backwards on most counts. Although the Graphics were a huge upgrade over the previous titles, it's my personal opinion that adding the Jump mechanic to the play-style absolutely sucked the life out of Skylanders gaming. It's probably just me, but I LOVE melee fighting and puzzle solving ... but platforming (jumping from platform to platform as a routine element in the play-through) is jaded, tired, and HORRIBLY boring. So, I guess, in that sense, I do agree with the OP here somewhat.
---
"Who was harmed here---some six year olds who went to bed crying because there's no Enchanted Trap Shadow?"
#18 Posted: 23:58:32 16/04/2014
SSA for me.

I'm sorry, but for all the gameplay advancements bought in Giants and SF, I really think that they lack the heart SA had. And I can't enjoy them as much as SA because of it. Purely gameplay-wise, if they all just had an Excuse Plot, Giants and SF would undoubtedly be better to me, but they don't, and SA's immersive storytelling really is what makes the game special and overall more enjoyable to me. I've gone on about it enough that I'm not going to reiterate what I've said before about why I think SA's plot is so much better than the other two and I'm sorry if you haven't read my thoughts about that and are reading this post, but really, if SA didn't have that immersive story and the magic it had then I wouldn't have cared about it very much, and would've just seen it as a good but overly expensive adventure game that had a cool gimmick... The immersion- not the toy gimmick or the gameplay- is really what made me like the series as much as I did originally. While I enjoy what it is now because there's more to do in the games now- although that also lead to a couple of things I dislike, since SA already had a pretty good amount of content anyway, but I won't go on about that- I really wish that the magic of SSA would return to the series someday because that would make it so much more fun... And besides that, SSA's nostalgia is another thing that makes it more enjoyable to me. That's not a good argument if we're going to argue about which game is best objectively but it's definitely a valid reason to personally prefer it.
#19 Posted: 00:14:59 17/04/2014
Quote: Arc of Archives
SSA for me.

I'm sorry, but for all the gameplay advancements bought in Giants and SF, I really think that they lack the heart SA had. And I can't enjoy them as much as SA because of it. Purely gameplay-wise, if they all just had an Excuse Plot, Giants and SF would undoubtedly be better to me, but they don't, and SA's immersive storytelling really is what makes the game special and overall more enjoyable to me. I've gone on about it enough that I'm not going to reiterate what I've said before about why I think SA's plot is so much better than the other two and I'm sorry if you haven't read my thoughts about that and are reading this post, but really, if SA didn't have that immersive story and the magic it had then I wouldn't have cared about it very much, and would've just seen it as a good but overly expensive adventure game that had a cool gimmick... The immersion- not the toy gimmick or the gameplay- is really what made me like the series as much as I did originally. While I enjoy what it is now because there's more to do in the games now- although that also lead to a couple of things I dislike, since SA already had a pretty good amount of content anyway, but I won't go on about that- I really wish that the magic of SSA would return to the series someday because that would make it so much more fun... And besides that, SSA's nostalgia is another thing that makes it more enjoyable to me. That's not a good argument if we're going to argue about which game is best objectively but it's definitely a valid reason to personally prefer it.

I have a good feeling about the next game. I feel that we'll get that perfect mix of VV's game-play and graphics, and TfB's story telling and lore.
---
#20 Posted: 01:24:01 17/04/2014
Words cannot describe my hatred of Giants. Aside from the Giants and a few of the core from that series, I loathed every minute of it. Weak story, tedious levels and no real sense of, like Arc of Archives stated, heart in any of it. It just seemed hastily out together and not as thought out as SA.

Swap Force was definitely thought out to the point of seeming overthought out! The presentation was beautiful though and I loved the jumping. It gave me so much more freedom resulting in creativity with battling.

But I still stand by what I said earlier, compared to many other games, Skylanders is a terrible game that doesn't give you enough content for it's ultimate price tag (most games feature their characters in game but you must shell out 10-25$ extra for each in Skylands).
#21 Posted: 01:27:43 17/04/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: Hexin_Wishes
Words cannot describe my hatred of Giants. Aside from the Giants and a few of the core from that series, I loathed every minute of it. Weak story, tedious levels and no real sense of, like Arc of Archives stated, heart in any of it. It just seemed hastily out together and not as thought out as SA.

Swap Force was definitely thought out to the point of seeming overthought out! The presentation was beautiful though and I loved the jumping. It gave me so much more freedom resulting in creativity with battling.

But I still stand by what I said earlier, compared to many other games, Skylanders is a terrible game that doesn't give you enough content for it's ultimate price tag (most games feature their characters in game but you must shell out 10-25$ extra for each in Skylands).

I agree
---
#22 Posted: 01:31:09 17/04/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: Unreallystic

Release a special edition of Skylanders 4 on Wii U, XBOne and PS4, that includes SSA & Giants with all the new characters playable. Want to jack up the price a bit? Make the figures Ghost Roaster (Lightcore), Boomer (Lightcore) and Whamshell (Lightcore).

- Unreall

I also agree, Giants and SSF are just rip-offs,lack of excitement, and for every character it almost costs 1000 dollars, Activision is just greedy, it's annoying
---
#23 Posted: 02:02:01 17/04/2014

I, personally, think all three games are fantastic (Though, some are better than others). VV put in what TfB was missing in SSA and Giants (Graphics, jumping and game-play), while TfB got what VV was missing (Story, personality and lore). I've said this many times before. Skylanders is the Adventure Time of video games. Odd creatures, little to no humans and a world full of lore. TfB was fantastic at making you learn about the lore Skylands, they gave you enough to make you want to learn more. They don't fully explain things (For a good reason).For example, in Giants, the Wilikin are a perfect example of this. They continually talk about Kaos and his family, they also mention how Kaos was in a "big rush". They don't explain why, which is a good thing, because it makes you want to know more. The haunted house is another example, how did the Wilikin girl die? Why make it a haunted house if it had no point? Giants is deeper and darker than SSA. They actually make you question Kaos' sanity (Which is ballsy for a kids game). He clearly has issues. TfB knows that there is an older audience that plays Skylanders, and they want to appeal to them. That's one of the many things I love about Skylanders. TfB respects their fans and care about the franchise strongly and they do anything they can to make it BOOM-TACULAR.
---
#24 Posted: 04:36:27 17/04/2014
I disagree "Giants is darker". It doesn't "make you question his sanity" (and it's not ballsy) because we were well aware he was the typical "crazy and stupid" overcompensating villain in SA. On the contrary, Giants makes you sympathetic to Kaos due to telling us about his lonely childhood, mistreatment and just how much of a failure he was to those around him. Even then it's still "Ha Ha! Kaos is a smelly loser idiot" at its base level.

"Why make it a haunted house if it had no point?" because 1) they can and 2) it also implies these dolls are alive and have a soul. Their "adult appeal" is far less than your average Disney movie.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 04:37:50 17/04/2014 by Hexin_Wishes
#25 Posted: 06:04:35 17/04/2014
HeyItsHotDog is right in that TfB has those special touches in story telling that I think VV currently lacked in Swap Force...not sure if that was a victim of the writing or deliberate actions of dumbing down the story so much that it removed much of the mystery and lore well represented in previous entries.

Bottom line--most of us fall well outside of the range of what they consider their "core market". I agree with HeyItsHotDog that TfB knows they can't ignore the older fans and we need a bone too. It's the reason why Disney movies have quite a few adult jokes in them that only older people would understand, but done in a way that people of all ages can "get" on their level. Execution isn't to that level yet obviously, but I agree that there wasn't any excellence in the story aspect and declined in Swap Force, although the technical delivery and presentation has much improved.

The Wilikin was pretty creepy stuff in the game and did make you think. Even Kaos is presented in his "dark mirage" with distinctly more evil tone most of the SSA game. In Swap Force Mesmeralda shows puppets with Glumshanks kicking Kaos. That's a bit of divergence there.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 06:10:40 17/04/2014 by GhostRoaster
#26 Posted: 16:28:40 17/04/2014
Quote: GhostRoaster
The Wilikin was pretty creepy stuff in the game and did make you think. Even Kaos is presented in his "dark mirage" with distinctly more evil tone most of the SSA game. In Swap Force Mesmeralda shows puppets with Glumshanks kicking Kaos. That's a bit of divergence there.

The Wilikins weren't creepy to me. They were living dolls that Kaos used to not feel so lonely and yet they hated him. Nothing scary other than your basic "living doll" trope. I mean, jeez, in a game about toys coming to life you'd think living dolls would be the least frightening thing.

His dark mirage with distorted voice was used again in SF by his own Mother, whom we are led to believe is the more "Evil" than Kaos. For two games, we've come to know Kaos is a bumbling idiot whereas, in SA, we didn't have any interaction with Kaos so he could have been super evil but that all ended 3/4s of the way into SA. Giants really drilled it in how much of a loser he is and SF just continues. So the "divergence" was still the fault of TfB and their "great" stroytelling.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:29:38 17/04/2014 by Hexin_Wishes
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10010
#27 Posted: 21:17:03 17/04/2014
I wish I actually knew why some people are so against Giants. Every time I pick it up is fun,just like SSA,except for those moments in Nightmare that I have to restart for the umpteenth time because I lost one of my better guys due to bad luck,or in Hard while the characters just seem to attract projectiles and physics hiccups when I go for a No Lives Lost checkmark.
And,not gonna lie,it just has to be the darkest game at the moment of the series - there's nothing on the other ones darker.SSA starts out nicely with the rather disturbing visual of Kaos nuking the Citadel with magic,but after that the only thing that had me genuinely uneasy is the Skull Mask cinematic. SSF kills its own possibilities of being scary because it tries its hardest to be kid-friendly it actually suceeds; everything threatening is incredibly cheesy, the plot makes me feel like it needs to be retconned FAST and the visuals are a bit too cheerful and whimsical for anyone to actually feel like something could be wrong with the world.

And the thing about the Wilkin aren't dolls coming to life - it's how they're presented and not their theme. They're so uncanny every line feels like there's something off, and that feeling of uneasiness is what makes them scary.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
#28 Posted: 03:27:45 18/04/2014
None of you have actually explained why Giants is "the darkest chapter". The script is not that much different in tone from SA. To be frank, it's about as dark as a Katy Perry album so...

I whole heartedly disagree about the Wilikins (the "go-to" example). They're meant to be uncanny because they're not a natural born race in Skylands. They are essentially living dolls hence why their speech is choppy and their syntax is awkward. Personally, I thought they were ADORABLE and the music for that level was wonderful. In fact, I'd argue it's the only GOOD level of the whole game because we're not dealing with the basic "aww man, something is in danger, Please help us Skylander!" that every level across the three games seem to be about. Besides, if you're afraid of the Wilikins you might as well be frightened by Wall-E and any movie Tim Burton had a hand in!

On the subject of dark, how about the fact that the Swap Force characters are essentially characters that were bisected through an accident yet unnaturally still able to continue on living and, even more unnatural, combine with each other? The fact each half has it's own kind of memory is "disturbing" if you really think about it.
#29 Posted: 06:12:19 18/04/2014
The difference is that the game didn't SHOW the SWAP Force to be a dark thing or play anything dark in the game really seriously to make you consider that. If you think about it, it is, but in-game it's just played out like they have an awesome new power and nothing more. I'm not denying it isn't dark if you think about it, as Fridge Horror I actually think darker than most of the stuff in the games, but consider the toy gimmick itself for a moment- imagine how it would feel for the Skylanders when they were turned into tiny statues and packaged into tiny boxes(I realise in real life they're just manufactured but if you're going to bring that up then do the same for the SF- they're held together by magnets, and they have memories because they've got data-storing chips inside of them). Most people don't argue that that's a really dark aspect of the game because the games don't play it that way.

They could both be considered Fridge Horror, but the dark aspects behind those isn't played in the games nearly as prominently as the Wilikin, so nobody ever discusses them. The same applies to Evilisation which is another aspect in SF which is dark when you think about it(what does it do to the Evilised creature's mind? And also you are forced to beat up innocent creatures because a bumbling fool painted them purple and superglued pink gems onto them), that the game plays out like a Saturday morning cartoon would. You can't argue that Giants is playing Kaos as a bumbling fool in cutscenes, so the Wilikin and other aspects showing he might be insane isn't dark, and then ignore how SF plays swapping in a silly way and say that it's dark while Kaos in Giants is not.

If you're going to think seriously about the swapping or things in SF then think seriously about some of the stuff in Giants too. I don't know which would be darker- but then if you're going to say some stuff in SF is dark if you think about it don't deny the same for Giants. Like, what would happen if the Chompies figured out how to use the Iron Fist? And the Ambushes- are Kaos' Elemental Skylander Minions wandering around Skylands and ambushing victims now? Or did Kaos actually summon them against you- was he watching for the best moment to ambush you, so that he could summon those minions to attack you? What about the pirate dog locked up in Cutthroat Carnival, are the pirate dogs locking eachother up? Within their amusement park? Why do they have jails there? There is stuff like that in all three games. It's just stupid to argue wether such subtle fridge horror makes the games darker because no matter you can think hard enough and see fridge horror and the game doesn't play them out that seriously and grimly, ergo, many people don't consider it to make the games dark.

Personally, I think the Wilikin are darker than other stuff in Skylanders, but not as much as everyone makes them out to be either. They aren't terribly creepy to me, but they always made me a bit uneasy(mainly because of how they speak- the one who says "wonderful" makes me flinch a little whenever I replay the level). But, here's why I think Giants feels darker than the other games: Giants seems to make everything more dire in little ways- you're constantly on the ship moving from destination to destination. It's not like SA or SF where you're safe in one hub and can relax and explore there when you aren't going to levels. You're on a smaller space because you really have to get going. Plus, you need a lot more help from NPCs, your ship keeps breaking down, and you get ambushed at one point. You are on a crummy, breaking ship while the universe is in danger. A character dies(well, that's ruined by the end of the game, but when it happened at first it was played pretty darn straight- unlike other deaths in the series that have happened, aside from Eon's, which was played fairly straight although not focused on as much). Because the game feels more dire from those things it makes everything in the game feel a bit more serious. The Wilikin included. If the stuff in Giants had been in SF and SF played it like it plays a lot of other stuff then I wouldn't take it too seriously, because the game clearly wouldn't be taking it too seriously. In addition, in SF you are in one spot where the villains know you are, and they never do anything about it, which made me personally take it a lot less seriously. The same applies to SA- Kaos KNOWS where the Core of Light is but never takes the initiative to launch an attack there. He even hands Sources to you. The stuff in Giants is not on the level of some other stuff but I think it definitely feels more serious than the other games in Skylanders because of the overall tone of the game. Wether it's intentional or not, that's just what I think.

Also, sorry if this post makes it sound like I'm trying to attack your opinion. I've just been annoyed with a lot of stuff today, so I can't write too well.
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 06:28:13 18/04/2014 by Arc of Archives
#30 Posted: 12:07:54 18/04/2014
People think Giants is dark?

...new to me...
- Unreall
#31 Posted: 14:55:53 18/04/2014
The reason people may suggest Giants had a "darker" feel to it may be to with things like:

1. Wilikin level: I know some don't understand why people dislike it, but I think its the same reason why people find old toys in the dark scary - just something weird about it I guess!

2. I kind of remember that robot drying in it? I haven't played it for a while so I may be wrong.

3. The main enemy (kind of) for this game were the Arkeyans (And aren't they just a little bit weird/edgy/creepy?)

And theres something else I can't seem to find... I dunno, but thats just what I make of it smilie
scratchking22 Blue Sparx Gems: 725
#32 Posted: 15:33:28 18/04/2014
I think Giants was darker than SSA, which is miles darker than Swap Force.
---
~ Clinton/Kaine 2016 ~
#33 Posted: 16:13:10 18/04/2014
Quote: yelvy
The reason people may suggest Giants had a "darker" feel to it may be to with things like:

1. Wilikin level: I know some don't understand why people dislike it, but I think its the same reason why people find old toys in the dark scary - just something weird about it I guess!

2. I kind of remember that robot drying in it? I haven't played it for a while so I may be wrong.

3. The main enemy (kind of) for this game were the Arkeyans (And aren't they just a little bit weird/edgy/creepy?)

And theres something else I can't seem to find... I dunno, but thats just what I make of it smilie

[User Posted Image]

The Wilikin's were done SUPER kiddy, so while the idea behind them was actually 'sad', it wasn't really creepy.

The ghost died...and then came back if memory serves me correctly (it's been a while since I played the later stages).

I don't know, calling anything skylander's related 'dark' just doesn't feel right. when I think 'dark' I think active killing and murder and massacre.
- Unreall
#34 Posted: 17:35:04 18/04/2014
As people said,the thing is about Giants being darker than the rest of the series,though it's far from being a dark game.
And no,there's a big difference between dark and mature and just plain dark,Unreallystic. If we need gore and graphic stuff to have a dark game,then someone really needs to play Portal 1 and 2 - I didn't need to actually get killed in that game most of the time to feel as uneasy as a black comedy game can make you. But of course,the lack of wall of text made people take my post on a tangent to say they haven't been presented arguments,so arguments I'll present.

SSA: As I said,Kaos nuking the citadel, and the Skull Mask cutscene. Everything else felt intense when it should have,but never unnerving.
SSF: Dumb plot as it is, making Kaos harmless pretty much nulified his threatening moments and it just felt like you were waiting for the punchline of a joke - exactly what you get at the end. Kaos' mom is so cheesy and rubbed in your face that it feels like the devs didn't really get what makes a villain great.
SG: Willikin - unnerving, with some really screwed up logic and lore(pretty much having their sentience travel between realities... That's a bit too deep for a one-level gimmick).
Kaos being outright murderous, darker than Machine Ghost's sort-of-death actually. In SSA he's a bit 'going to prove I'm better than you,then make you pay like Eon' and it felt like his main objective was just to win,and destroying the PM is an afterthought. Here? He outright avoided conflict just to try to bury you between some tons of rock,when the last and the next game prove he'd rather fight. Between that and how he wins for a good few hours, just seeing someone that snapped having all that power is indeed unnerving. Too bad he completely drops the crazy for the dumb muscle attitude in SSF.
The ending of Cutthroat Carnival(which has a kid-unfriendly name already). What the heck,surprise scare chord much?
And,most will probably disagree with me on this,Drill-X's appearance. Though his voice makes him seem like some evil robot who loves to sing and that's it, everything in his design seems put together so strangely it feels like he was built from scraps and barely works - those four tubes going from his back to the main Drill Rig seem to imply he needs more support than his body can give too. It's much more of a realization you get after you're done with the level,but he gives that 'incomplete and crazy' vibe from the Biolizard of Sonic Adventure 2,just in full robot form.

Though I can't really convince anyone that Giants is better,even if it's my favorite Skylanders game. I love it to bits just as I loathe SSF to bits,and though I can find things I don't like about these two games,I can't really explain why it's so darn fun to play Giants compared to SSA - maybe it's the easier interfaces of several things, maybe it's how everything seems to go at a better pace,or because the Giants give a level of coolness the Swappers couldn't really replicate. But for me,where SSA makes me a bit bored(though I never really disliked that game,it's probably because it's too easy to level up and destroy levels after a while),Giants makes me have fun and try one more level every time I pick it up,just like that.
---
#35 Posted: 18:44:00 18/04/2014
Thank you Unreallystic for posting and showing that there is another person in this thread with common sense.

Now, Arc of Archives, you fail to see that the only reason I claimed Swap Force was "dark" was because you and those who agree with you said it was not at all. I was pointing out that there are elements that could be considered dark and those elements were far "darker" than the Wilikins. I wasn't saying Swap Force was the darkest or even dark at all, but if we're going to claim Giants is "dark" and Swap Force was "kiddie" how about you consider all things first?

Bifrost, being an incomplete creature isn't "dark", pirates have been in children's media for a while as have death and said media isn't exactly considered "dark" and megalomania is always triumphed over in media geared towards kids. All topics have been covered in Disney movies and so far, how many of them have been considered "dark"?

Giants isn't better but, like everything, that's up to personal opinion. I find Swap Force to be the best (even over the original) due to the improvements in gameplay, graphics plus Swapping was actually pretty fun. The stories are all poor after the first one though (if I'll be honest, Giants 3DS is the worst of all 6 Skylanders entries).

I also find it funny because Swap Force greater tackles the messed family issue which is ~deep~ (as you say) for a children's game.

Also, RE: the Wilikins, wasn't it hinted at in game that they're just playing a trick on people by pretending to not be alive when the switch is "off"? It's been a while since I played Giants.
#36 Posted: 19:29:32 18/04/2014
Now,now,people who have opinions different than yours aren't worse than you. You have as much common sense as the next guy,don't try to get on the pedestal just because of what you think.

My opinion of dark is simply something that isn't kid friendly at all and could make someone who wouldn't stomach a grimdark moment a bit uneasy - like myself because I'm a huge scaredy cat. Of course,you're nitpicking already,but an incomplete creature is pretty far from what could be kid friendly because it's exactly that - incomplete,doesn't work like a normal version of it would,and is probably suffering; say Biolizard and his Finalhazard form as well. Some Disney moves can sometimes be really dark when a crazy character is so accurate it's not that far from a real life psychopath/sociopath, like Turbo Racer from Wreck-it Ralph.

Back to the point that I'm insisting; Giants is darker. It's not a dark game,it has dark moments.
And no,dysfunctional family is the LEAST of what was shown in Swap Force. I saw the writers gushing about how eeeevul Kaos' mother was(and couldn't bother to give her a name) and how siiilly Kaos is for not being exactly like her. If the writing was somewhat tolerable, it'd probably be pretty dark - Kaos' mother is actually shown to have had a business on posioned/bogus beverages in Kaos' Kastle, but it's never brought up again - but the way it ended up was cheesy and unrealistic.

Seraphina in Giants just mentioned they're "alive in all worlds" and the Guidebook mentioned that there's a reality for them that Kaos managed to create somehow so his mother wouldn't know they were alive. In a way,yeah,their sentience can go through dimensions.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 19:31:31 18/04/2014 by Bifrost
#37 Posted: 03:46:35 19/04/2014
None of you have actually explained why Giants is "the darkest chapter". The script is not that much different in tone from SA. To be frank, it's about as dark as a Katy Perry album so...

The Last of Us is like a Disney movie to me.

Giants has darker elements to it--I would argue the tone and script of some components fits that bill. It's not Texas Massacre, but compared to Swap Force...

Btw, you all DO KNOW that Skylanders KILL their enemies right? Killing for the good of Skylands. I guess you could use the Groove Machine and have them dance their legs off. Maybe Master Eon will present himself as the ultimate evil portal master of DOOOOOMMM.
---
Edited 4 times - Last edited at 03:52:42 19/04/2014 by GhostRoaster
#38 Posted: 07:51:16 19/04/2014
With this whole "Giants is darker" thing, I was only saying how I thought other people may think giants is darker. To me, its just another of the skylanders game, but in my opinion the weakest because it didn't improve much from the first game. Swap force, however, did improve things, (Graphics, jumping,) But I found it a very boring compared to the other two.
#39 Posted: 08:50:50 19/04/2014
Quote: GhostRoaster

The Last of Us is like a Disney movie to me.

Giants has darker elements to it--I would argue the tone and script of some components fits that bill. It's not Texas Massacre, but compared to Swap Force...

Btw, you all DO KNOW that Skylanders KILL their enemies right? Killing for the good of Skylands. I guess you could use the Groove Machine and have them dance their legs off. Maybe Master Eon will present himself as the ultimate evil portal master of DOOOOOMMM.

This makes me wonder why they don't kill Kaos.
---
#40 Posted: 09:31:16 19/04/2014
The main bad guy is hardly ever killed. That way he gets to cause more trouble later on. This is a TV rule.
Always leave it possible that they can escape. Henchmen/minions can always be re-hired and replaced but the main bad guy is a character. You don't kill the main characters very often.

So quite simply they don't kill Kaos so he can come back in the next game.
#41 Posted: 13:28:32 19/04/2014
Or because it's that concept of 'children will be terrified in knowing sometimes people don't come back for real' that so many shows have. Killing an important character usually does this, for example Eon was portrayed as being turned into a bodiless spirit though people usually die to magic nukes. It's probably also why Machine Ghost is brought back with little to no explanation; to a kid he wouldn't be gone for real because he's a hero just like the rest of the main characters.
---
#42 Posted: 14:09:34 19/04/2014
Quote: Pyrofer
The main bad guy is hardly ever killed. That way he gets to cause more trouble later on. This is a TV rule.
Always leave it possible that they can escape. Henchmen/minions can always be re-hired and replaced but the main bad guy is a character. You don't kill the main characters very often.

So quite simply they don't kill Kaos so he can come back in the next game.

I guess all the good guys are stupid then. They'll kill all the little minions but the won't kill the person behind all this chaos.
---
#43 Posted: 14:22:34 19/04/2014
That's a side effect,but happens in the best kid-friendly shows just as much as in the bad ones. Have to throw in the 'can't get on the bad guys' level' moral too,since otherwise it would give the idea that you can make justice in the way you feel like it,which isn't a really good thing to teach to kids.
---
#44 Posted: 15:33:04 19/04/2014
Even the "darker" shows like "Arrow" in the first season have him slaughter dozens of henchmen to get to the boss who is then tied up and left for the police!

I HATE this about TV/Movies etc, but I guess it's the way things are. I never understood why killing the hired help was ok but killing the terrorist who was plotting to murder millions was "sinking to their level" and not ok?

Lastly, Kaos is more "human" than most in the game. Killing "monsters" is ok, but killing people is not.
#45 Posted: 16:55:18 19/04/2014
Exactly. I don't really like this way some stories have of showing what's totally okay to kill and what's not, but some people use that to be able to write action scenes, and you can only go so far by 'knocking out' bad guys despite your massive magic/weapon power. Not to mention, a common cliche is have the main evil guy suddenly show he's not 100% human... THEN he's totally okay to kill, because no parent seems to be against the fact that if it's not human, it doesn't deserve the same rights. At least there are plenty of works which actually try to be more reasonable about it and have the 'it attacked first' logic instead of juding by appearance.
---
#46 Posted: 17:47:15 19/04/2014
Funny thing though is that even Disney touches on death. Death is part of life. Why they treat this subject with kid's gloves is kinda amusing. I don't expect disembodiment blood etc but heck...if skylanders can spend two hours killing thousands of minions why can't we actually vanquish COMPLETELY an enemy? And why can't we have an enemy we can truly FEAR and WANT to defeat? Are these emotions too mature for their market? Dare I say, what if the game actually RETIRED a character in game by killing him off to serve as a plot line?

Heroes can't be heroes if they aren't at risk. It would be fun to have a KILL option that when your skylander is defeated, you can't use him anymore in that game save file. Well, kinda fun...until you release you have 200+ skylanders at your disposal...which another problem is one of scarcity.
---
Edited 8 times - Last edited at 17:56:23 19/04/2014 by GhostRoaster
#47 Posted: 13:11:04 23/04/2014
Thank you Unreallystic for posting and showing that there is another person in this thread with common sense.

Well, I was actually going to apologise for what I wrote earlier because you're right in that I didn't pay attention to all your post and nitpicked a couple of lines too much(I was trying to explain why I thought Giants was dark, but then ended up becoming fixated on just trying to prove why I think SF is not). But this just comes across as seriously rude to me. I considered writing something to try and sum up all my thoughts about the subject but I'm not going to bother now. Besides, I agree with Bifrost, as usual, and there's no point re-treading on everything. Responding because I keep bringing up stuff and then never really responding, thought I'd try to stop doing that.

Anyway, I'm just tired of constantly looking at the series so critically. Especially since it seems we only ever discuss one of three things: wether SF's plot stinks, Heroics/Quests, or more rarely, the slow releases of figures and rare variants and game info. I'm not saying critical discussions can't have merit, I actually love them and I think they're great because they can be intelligent, but it seems like we're always having the same ones. Maybe it's really just because there isn't much left to discuss about the games. I can't remember the last time that we had a long critical discussion about something new. I've become so used to Heroics and Quests discussions now that I just try to remember whatever criticisms I last had about the whole thing and basically repost them, because there just isn't anything else to say about the subject. (Yes, I finally admitted that, I'd be shocked if nobody here has noticed it.) Really, I should just stop responding to them, because it's just one thing encouraging those discussions to continue, and they aren't fun to have any more(I guess I just did it because there wasn't much other discussion). Besides, I want to go and watch Recobbled Edition The Thief and The Cobbler so that I can mindlessly gawk at the pretty animation and take a load off of my mind. Sorry that I rambled about this here, guys, but I've been wanting to say it for a while. Not really trying to make any point... I'm just venting my opinion.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 13:12:18 23/04/2014 by Arc of Archives
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me