darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Imaginators > *Discussion* Unresettable Creation Crystals are a horrible idea and here's why
First | Previous | Page 3 of 13 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
*Discussion* Unresettable Creation Crystals are a horrible idea and here's why
AdamGregory03 Gold Sparx Gems: 2156
#101 Posted: 13:30:14 20/08/2016
That, and most of the Skylanders-related YouTubers aren't really that big of channels. Most of them only have like a couple thousand subscribers at most, the biggest one I can think of being the Skylander Boy and Girl, but I doubt they'd make a video that speaks out against this.

It's kind of sad to think that most of the fans who would actually care enough to acknowledge that this is a bad idea are the minority, especially when a lot of people don't really care about Skylanders. I mean, this is something I'd expect Jim Sterling to cover on the Jimquisition. But I doubt he gives even the slightest of a damn about Skylanders. I mean, he's stated before that he couldn't even muster up that much anger when Activision did something similar with it's other cash cow, Call of Duty.

It's also sad to think that a series with as much creativity as Skylanders, being made by people who clearly do want to make good games, are attached to a company that simply doesn't care unless what your doing is making money.
---
Golden Queen did nothing wrong and she is best evil waifu.
Check this out! Please?
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#102 Posted: 13:33:44 20/08/2016
That PR response was TERRIBLE. I mean it doesn't even make sense. They want to focus on choice, but this one choice is too far? Why even have selectable Battle Classes if that is an issue?

The Game Informer guy should have seriously challenged him on that. I saw some people are challenging them on this on the game Facebook page, that needs to keep happening. Judging by their haphazard PR response, they clearly figured they would slide this one out and no one would notice. He was doing everything in his power to keep from saying "we want to make more money". For a genre that is on a precarious edge right now, one would think they would not want to press their luck.
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10269
#103 Posted: 13:37:57 20/08/2016 | Topic Creator
They just ignore facebook unless it gives them something buzzword to talk about. Anyone remember "Where's PVP in SC? Oh, Battlecast is coming out soon!". That PR is never going to budge, we have to appeal for others - and TFB devs might not work either, since they don't get to choose just like us.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Portal___Master Emerald Sparx Gems: 3718
#104 Posted: 14:36:15 20/08/2016
it may be fruitless, but we've made a petition...if you're so inclined to sign, sign and see how many signatures we can rack up!

We’ve made a petition to make SkyLanders Imaginite Creation Crystals fully resettable, please sign if you’re with us on this and thank you!
https://www.change.org/p/activ...medium=copyLink
---
smilie
Guinness Book of World Records holder for Largest SkyLanders Collection.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SkyLandersCollectorsGroup
MugoUrth Ripto Gems: 3234
#105 Posted: 14:49:10 20/08/2016
I know it won't do much, but I signed.
BatWolf Blue Sparx Gems: 517
#106 Posted: 15:38:36 20/08/2016
triple crystal packs are coming out so that can avoid someone being an "A-H" and making a skylander on the crystal in the box and sending it back

i was going to get triple packs and adventure packs anyway smilie
---
smilie smilie smilie smilie
: http://steamcommunity.com/id/BatWolfGaming
~DEFENDER OF TRI-TIP!~ One does not simply zoo tycoon machinima
#107 Posted: 15:41:32 20/08/2016 | Topic Creator
You can just lean the pack on the side of the portal and it's going to pick up the nearest crystal only, it's not stopping anyone especially with SF and Superchargers portals. The only thing is that you can't mess with the middle one.

Though then there's the issue, putting something to block the signal so no one attempts shenanigans means you can't display them in the box and use at the same time, so only really hardcore collectors would even be interested in it.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:42:31 20/08/2016 by Bifrost
#108 Posted: 15:44:00 20/08/2016
Although i wonder if gamestop or any other staff in shops will be getting suspicous if people keep buying crystals and then returning them still in the box
because honestly what will the person say who is returning it?
and i dont think they would put it on the shelf probably in the pre-owned section

i live in ireland so idk what they do elsewhere if you return a figure but im guessing people would get suspicous
---
Shin Majin Yellow Sparx Gems: 1145
#109 Posted: 15:46:06 20/08/2016
"We wanted to make sure that there wasn't a sea of options, and that there weren't so many different factors affecting the gameplay of the character that you couldn't focus and create what we thought of as a class."

...what does this even mean? What does this have to do with anything?
---
Team quadruped.
Joseph > Jotaro
#110 Posted: 15:48:35 20/08/2016
it would be cool if in the creation menu for the crystal you could bring the character for a test drive (yeah i know its like spore, which i really like but it would work) where you can test out the attacks and everything

or wait until other people release gameplay then decide what class to put it as

ive made up some fanmade skylanders and their battleclasses set and elements but im still playing it safe
---
#111 Posted: 15:50:38 20/08/2016 | Topic Creator
Quote: Shin Majin
"We wanted to make sure that there wasn't a sea of options, and that there weren't so many different factors affecting the gameplay of the character that you couldn't focus and create what we thought of as a class."

It means "we didn't have a reason to do this, so we'll make up some bull**** so kids or parents can't complain about it".
God, I'd have taken even dead silence over such a slimy excuse.
---
Akseyomiht Yellow Sparx Gems: 1494
#112 Posted: 15:52:50 20/08/2016

It means bollocks
Nightmoon Yellow Sparx Gems: 1760
#113 Posted: 16:28:15 20/08/2016
Quote: Bifrost
Though then there's the issue, putting something to block the signal so no one attempts shenanigans means you can't display them in the box and use at the same time, so only really hardcore collectors would even be interested in it.

On the flipside, the new boxes appear to be possible to open without breaking this time, so you can put the figures back inside the box between uses. If this turns out to be the case, this will be the first game in the series in which I'll be keeping the boxes (well, for Senseis and Adventure Packs anyway).
---
Phoenix Crystal is the best unreleased Crystal.
Skylanders Academy Season 2 was an improvement.
I don't know what to think of Skylanders' future.
Deja Vu Platinum Sparx Gems: 5468
#114 Posted: 16:34:18 20/08/2016
I agree so much. I did have plans for Imaginators that are gonna stay in the crystal and that I won't reset, (now I have no choice) but until I get all the parts I want for it to be complete. I wanted to try some other creations like a Sorcerer Hex, but now my Skeleton Brawler has to walk around as a robot until I get the right parts. It's really stupid and worst of all, there's no good reason for it either.
UncleBob Ripto Gems: 4565
#115 Posted: 16:38:29 20/08/2016
Quote: esrever
I imagine the reason they are making the Battle Class unchangeable is because there's some sort of in-game content that will require one character of each Battle Class to access. (Ala elemental gates, vehicle gates, swap zones, etc.)

Only let you select Battle Classes after you've used a Sensei of that battle class. Heck, lock a 'gem' that unlocks said battle class for creation mode behind a gate that requires a Character of that same battle class to unlock.
MugoUrth Ripto Gems: 3234
#116 Posted: 17:15:41 20/08/2016
Quote: BatWolf
it would be cool if in the creation menu for the crystal you could bring the character for a test drive (yeah i know its like spore, which i really like but it would work) where you can test out the attacks and everything

or wait until other people release gameplay then decide what class to put it as

ive made up some fanmade skylanders and their battleclasses set and elements but im still playing it safe

If you could do this, I'd almost accept not being able to resent the class.

Cali: Riiight. Almost. -Skylanders Giants.

...But seriously, it'd still be bullosky.
AmbushFan Blue Sparx Gems: 919
#117 Posted: 17:54:15 20/08/2016
Quote: Akseyomiht

It means bollocks

It means "**** you, we're Activision, give us all your money."
---
No fate. Only the power of will.
#118 Posted: 18:20:20 20/08/2016 | Topic Creator
Updated the OP with a more descriptive title since it sounded like I was just going to rant, and that article.
And, uh, here's some Spongebob to lighten the mood. I had the idea on a whim and an easy template on KYM so I went for it.

[User Posted Image]
---
PwnageFTW Yellow Sparx Gems: 1716
#119 Posted: 18:23:33 20/08/2016
Updated the OP with a more descriptive title since it sounded like I was just going to rant, and that article.
And, uh, here's some Spongebob to lighten the mood. I had the idea on a whim and an easy template on KYM so I went for it.

[User Posted Image]

this is perfect
---
Quote: Carmelita Fox
YOU’RE ALL DUMB SHEEP!!!!
PwnageFTW Yellow Sparx Gems: 1716
#120 Posted: 18:26:45 20/08/2016
Quote: Drawdler

[User Posted Image]

That's amazing...
... He made a Dark Quickshot with an Air Crystal. smilie

that's possible yet you can't reset battle classes
---
Quote: Carmelita Fox
YOU’RE ALL DUMB SHEEP!!!!
#121 Posted: 18:31:18 20/08/2016 | Topic Creator
ssshhh I totally didn't just grab the first confirmation picture I found here

Urgh, it's embarassing how it's turning into an ego stroking session in the subreddit. This is the time we should be against this but sane discussion, not patting each other in the back for the AMAZING PRECOGNITION that Activision has zero shame.
I think that these days if I had a reality altering wish I'd ask for TFB,VV and the Skylanders IP and everyone related to be transfered into a less ****ty company; it gets that frustrating that I'd probably be wasteful and stupid. Who knows how well(or worse but at least a faster drop) off the game would be in, say, Sony's hands or Atlus.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 18:33:24 20/08/2016 by Bifrost
stinkbomb29 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1697
#122 Posted: 19:58:43 20/08/2016
My opinion is this...whatever Activision/Toys for Bob want to do is up to them. Whether they change it nor not will be up to them.

I'm more worried about all the sculpts they may try to do with the creation crystals!! Because we all know we are going to try and buy them all!!

Good luck to all the Portal Masters out there!!!!
Street50 Gold Sparx Gems: 2060
#123 Posted: 20:13:10 20/08/2016
i'm not going to try and buy them all. We got those stickers which is good enough in my opinion.
The fact that we cannot reset will not stop me from buying many crystals because creating my own characters is what I love to do and if nobody is buying these then there is no reason for TFB to support our imaginators in the next game. I'm buying them on online retailers and not in store so I don't need to worry about someone returning characters they don't like.
However it does kill imaginators at some point down the line when the next game comes out and nobody can actually buy used crystals. Or on ebay people will need to list this is a Ninja or whatever.
While I don't really want any spoilers I will also have to watch Youtube videos on the creation of characters because I will fear things like the Ninja's being without a body or the swash bucklers being without legs... I hope this isn't actually true but it's why I will need to watch youtube videos before selecting class.
Also brings to question what class I will set some of my characters. Because previously I thought Hey if i don't like them in that class i can always change it... But it does make me angry now knowing that I cannot do that.
#124 Posted: 20:30:01 20/08/2016 | Topic Creator
From Gamescon, we've seen what seems the final menu for creation, and you don't even get to choose certain sizes if you get one of the three special classes. Sorcerers can only get so big before their legs get weird,no torso icon, let alone option for Ninjas,Swashbucklers have an entirely different set for legs. It is very much true that it's limiting, and of course, that not everyone is going to research this if they go into the game blind and have a nasty surprise waiting.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 20:31:10 20/08/2016 by Bifrost
#125 Posted: 20:38:29 20/08/2016
My opinion is that they could have a really nice swan song to the franchise (lets face it, if we have another year like last year which is likely due to the state of the TTL market), but instead Activision is bound and determined to wring every dollar they can out of it. Parents will not respond to "you can't change this" by going out and buying more crystals. Now they are telling us we have to buy duplicate items because of choices we make within the game?

The message also is misleading, by "final" do they mean for this character or for the crystal? I can see this really making some people mad when they figure it out. What happens when 7 year old Johnny gets it for Christmas and proceeds to make all of the crystals the same class and then is stuck with that because he didn't know better?
TheToyNerd Gold Sparx Gems: 2137
#126 Posted: 20:38:30 20/08/2016
I mean, to be fair, the Creation Menu has the body types match the class in the starry outline... still that doesn't make it any less awful. If it was just the gameplay that changed with the Battle Class this wouldn't be so bad, but because 3 out of the 10 BCs have weird (kinda ugly) body types makes this situation especially bad.
#127 Posted: 20:43:24 20/08/2016
If they don't change it, someone out there needs to package up the hacking tool software in a form that will zap creation crystals with a single button.

I have never had a single bit of interest in investigating that tool, but good job Activision, here we are. I doubt I am alone.
#128 Posted: 20:46:02 20/08/2016 | Topic Creator
That's exactly point 2 I explained in the OP. I didn't even REMEMBER it existed until these news came up and I went looking. We never had any need after Portal Master Tutor or the high number of Series +s characters with changeable paths; or how TT and SC shower you with money at every turn so no one would even consider cheating.
---
Deja Vu Platinum Sparx Gems: 5468
#129 Posted: 21:33:49 20/08/2016
Acti really makes some strange decisions...
*looks at all the Gill Grunt reposes*
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#130 Posted: 22:11:22 20/08/2016
I don't think we even needed explanations, really.
This is simply an objectively stupid idea.

I'd almost want to know the exact guy (if there is one) who came up with this idea and thought it was a good one.
Probably the same who said "you know what, let's put dumb customization limitations and remove the possibility to save characters in a game with a gimmick revolving around imagination".

If this won't change (and call me a dreamer but I still have hope) them I won't buy a single Creation Crystal outside from the Starter and Adventure Pack ones (maybe Combo Packs as well, but I doubt it) and will try to get as little invested in creation as possible.

In the end we still have what looks like an amazing game with a cast of interesting Skylanders, but as Bifrost perfectly said, it's just unfair and awful how we can't enjoy a batch of news for more than a day because we have to face Activision's nonsensical greed ruining this awesome series.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
#131 Posted: 22:43:55 20/08/2016
Quote: TheToyNerd
I mean, to be fair, the Creation Menu has the body types match the class in the starry outline... still that doesn't make it any less awful. If it was just the gameplay that changed with the Battle Class this wouldn't be so bad, but because 3 out of the 10 BCs have weird (kinda ugly) body types makes this situation especially bad.

Not true, look at the starry sign of the Quickshot which is Foodfight and you'd think that means you also just a head for that. But actually we seen videos on making a Quickshot and you can have a full body Quickshot.
#132 Posted: 22:45:14 20/08/2016 | Topic Creator
The Quickshot constellation has been changed for SS16 and Gamescon. It now also has a full body.
---
#133 Posted: 22:46:16 20/08/2016
The Quickshot constellation has been changed for SS16 and Gamescon. It now also has a full body.

I stand corrected, Sorry TheToyNerd.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:49:26 20/08/2016 by Street50
TheToyNerd Gold Sparx Gems: 2137
#134 Posted: 11:34:44 21/08/2016
In the end of the day being able to reset your Crystal is a WAY better turn out than the opposite. It doesn't matter that you can order online. It doesn't matter that Activision wants you to plan out your character. All that matters is this is a huge mistake that could end disastrously for millions of kids who get stuck with Battle Classes that they don't want to play.

I have enough sense to plan my characters out (in fact, I did), but it is incredibly selfish to think that this is okay and pretend like anyone affected by this is just "not smart enough to plan it out beforehand".
juarmo Blue Sparx Gems: 749
#135 Posted: 11:48:46 21/08/2016

Urgh, it's embarassing how it's turning into an ego stroking session in the subreddit. This is the time we should be against this but sane discussion, not patting each other in the back for the AMAZING PRECOGNITION that Activision has zero shame.
I think that these days if I had a reality altering wish I'd ask for TFB,VV and the Skylanders IP and everyone related to be transfered into a less ****ty company; it gets that frustrating that I'd probably be wasteful and stupid. Who knows how well(or worse but at least a faster drop) off the game would be in, say, Sony's hands or Atlus.

Why use Sony as an example? Why not Nintendo?
Oh wait, you said you were gonna wish for a LESS ****ty company, not a NON-****ty company smilie
---
My dream in life is to steamroll Skylanders Imaginators on Nightmare difficulty with only a Level 60 Sir Hoodington with maximum Fire Elemental Power
emeraldzoroark Platinum Sparx Gems: 5398
#136 Posted: 11:53:57 21/08/2016
I just hope there will eventually be an update or something for those who didn't plan for this. May be wishful thinking but... Whatever.
---
Soon.
B-BOB358 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1029
#137 Posted: 11:59:17 21/08/2016
Both sides of the argument make some form of sense. Iether money, enjoyment or creation lore wise.

But when it comes down to it , having continuous control of looks isn't as good as having control of abilities, for me. It just makes less sense to me .

I'd rather a reverse system where you created a skylander first and that look was locked, but then you could Interchange their different weapons/ abilities continuously instead. ( obviously parts collecting couldn't be the aim of the game, instead it would be attack/ ability collecting )

So the character would be created and exist and technically be alive . Then it'd be able to pick up/ exchange new weapons like a real world charscter .

Just a thought, but it's a system that makes much more sense to me .
Being able to reset what/ who the physical character is but not its abilities seems backwards.

E.g. Resetting stealth elf to play another upgrade path doesn't change stealth elf or her element, But it does change her abilities if you didn't like the first path you chose . And I think imaginators classes should function the same way in case you don't like the furst path you chose .
---
SA & Giants are the best skylanders games. I miss the old style.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 11:59:46 21/08/2016 by B-BOB358
Nightmoon Yellow Sparx Gems: 1760
#138 Posted: 12:07:09 21/08/2016
Quote: juarmo
Oh wait, you said you were gonna wish for a LESS ****ty company, not a NON-****ty company smilie

At least Sony allows gameplay videos of their games without claiming copyright on everything, unlike Nintendo.
---
Phoenix Crystal is the best unreleased Crystal.
Skylanders Academy Season 2 was an improvement.
I don't know what to think of Skylanders' future.
#139 Posted: 12:22:13 21/08/2016
Quote: Nightmoon

At least Sony allows gameplay videos of their games without claiming copyright on everything, unlike Nintendo.

The post was talking about the quality of software, not their copyright policies.
And yeah, but Nintendo has its own quality seal.
Also, it's own self-imposed policies on DLC and child-friendly internet experiences. Those go WAY beyond legal obligation.
---
My dream in life is to steamroll Skylanders Imaginators on Nightmare difficulty with only a Level 60 Sir Hoodington with maximum Fire Elemental Power
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 12:25:54 21/08/2016 by juarmo
AmbushFan Blue Sparx Gems: 919
#140 Posted: 12:39:53 21/08/2016
Quote: AmbushFan
If the point of the game is to plan out ideas before making them, and being unable to change them as if you were making a drawing, then why does almost every gameplay video of Imaginators I watch show people changing from things like Eyeball heads to Robot heads and Yeti heads?

Whenever they choose a Robot head, they can go back and change it. So, unlike drawings, parts of Imaginators CAN be erased or changed.

Because you don't start off with all the options?
Even if you have all the parts you need (and that's a big if), you could find another that works even better for your design...

You don't start out with all the abilities either.
---
No fate. Only the power of will.
#141 Posted: 12:45:29 21/08/2016
If the point of the game is to plan out ideas before making them, and being unable to change them as if you were making a drawing, then why does almost every gameplay video of Imaginators I watch show people changing from things like Eyeball heads to Robot heads and Yeti heads?

Whenever they choose a Robot head, they can go back and change it. So, unlike drawings, parts of Imaginators CAN be erased or changed.

Even if you have all the parts you need (and that's a big if), you could find another that works even better for your design...

You don't start out with all the abilities either.

Again, letting you tweak the idea without letting you change it completely!

Even if you have all the abilities you need (and that's a big if), you could find another that works even better for your design...

You're not contradicting my argument, just reinforcing it smilie
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 12:50:37 21/08/2016 by juarmo
Chompy-King257 Gold Sparx Gems: 2956
#142 Posted: 12:48:02 21/08/2016
I guess everyone will have to do what I did - pre-planning before buying a crystal.
---
i made the "bus" look like my "dad"
#143 Posted: 12:53:09 21/08/2016
Quote: Nightmoon

It wasn't Nintendo that tried to copyright the term "Let's Play", that was Sony. They are all pretty crappy in their own special ways.
KingMed Gold Sparx Gems: 2456
#144 Posted: 13:03:09 21/08/2016
Just watch gameplay on YouTube before chossing a battle class
Zekrom Prime Blue Sparx Gems: 816
#145 Posted: 13:28:12 21/08/2016

Nintendo guest stars that only work nintendo systems
Blink182Bouncer Yellow Sparx Gems: 1659
#146 Posted: 13:45:22 21/08/2016
We should get this stickied, so the Skylanders tean will see it when/if they lurk.
---
Still Waiting For Legendary Tom DeLonge To Come In The Blink-182 Triple Pack.
WHY DID THEY MAKE MATT SKIBA "CALIFORNIA EDITION EXCLUSIVE"
#147 Posted: 13:58:42 21/08/2016 | Topic Creator
Quote: KingMed
Just watch gameplay on YouTube before chossing a battle class

Not a good way to judge gameplay. Nothing beats feeling the hitboxes and cooldown times yourself. How many times do I have to repeat this?

B-BOB, the issue with that is that you unlock new parts all the time. You'd have to hold off on creating a character altogether until the end of the game since you never know what's gonna show up that you absolutely love.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 14:00:25 21/08/2016 by Bifrost
yelvy Gold Sparx Gems: 2450
#148 Posted: 14:01:13 21/08/2016
Quote: Blink182Bouncer
We should get this stickied, so the Skylanders tean will see it when/if they lurk.

Our suggestions are exactly why the devs don't lurk on here. They don't want to be influenced by our discussions - I think this was actually talked about a few weeks ago.
First | Previous | Page 3 of 13 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me