darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Imaginators > *Discussion* Unresettable Creation Crystals are a horrible idea and here's why
Page 1 of 13 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
*Discussion* Unresettable Creation Crystals are a horrible idea and here's why
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10269
#1 Posted: 15:27:59 19/08/2016 | Topic Creator
Update: Activision went back on something? Crystals are resettable? Find out in the next episode of Dragon Ball Z!(ok not really, when we get more articles)

update 2: well it's been several days and nothing. Title back to how it was.

update 3: ShadowStorm, who got the game early, as well as BlackWing116, have confirmed that crystals indeed cannot be reset in any way. Patches are our last hope before we have to start bringing out the data removal tools.

Once again, taking discussion out of GD so it's not a mess.

As we've heard from youtubers, there isn't an option to reset Creation Crystals. This means you can't change Battle Class, and from what it seems, no way to start clean should you want to go back to grinding for your abilities. This isn't going to end well.

1. It goes against the giimmick of choosing and managing your dear creations - Great, you let your little sibling play alone, now you're stuck with Ninja forever. Good luck creating the characters you wanted as they said, because you can't even choose a torso.
  2. It encourages the use of illegal/third party tools - Not going to mention names as it is against the rules, but we know they exist, and it's not just Pyrofer's safe backup tool. You're not going to just tough it out and stick to your Ninja, you're going to dig deep to get what you want instead, Acti allowing or not. And used stores aren't going to help either, as you want your money's worth of the character creator.
  3. It hurts trading and people living abroad - Yeah, it doesn't any good to Acti, but it does harm to the community. Not everyone will have a thorough plan to the day they get tired of their class. Worse, people like me living in Brazil? We only have crazy scalpers to get our figures from, because taxing is easily 50 dollars no matter what you buy from official stores. I won't touch crystals if there is a chance I'm getting something that was tested past the initial screen on accident, either.

The post, uh, went through before I could finish writing down stuff, but this is the meat of things. Feel free to add your reasoning or arguments on the other side as well.

edit: An article with Activision's even more horrible excuse
Quote:
"We wanted to make sure that there wasn't a sea of options, and that there weren't so many different factors affecting the gameplay of the character that you couldn't focus and create what we thought of as a class," he told me. If you could constantly shift absolutely everything about it, you almost lose the fun of having a particular kind of character and the distinctions that we have."
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 7 times - Last edited at 20:03:54 29/09/2016 by Bifrost
GigaCamo Emerald Sparx Gems: 4288
#2 Posted: 15:29:52 19/08/2016
I agree. It's dumb.
fairyland Emerald Sparx Gems: 3800
#3 Posted: 15:49:55 19/08/2016
Yeah, I was always very tempted to follow the #2 route myself, moreso now because of this bit of news. I would want to test out each class as I cannot settle down with just one randomly like that. They all seem good to me but I'm sure one will be OP, one will suck, etc.

Perhaps if we are lucky, it'll be a reward for being a top portal master, like what they done with SuperChargers, allowing you to switch paths. But you know what? They could just as easily make it an in game pay service to change your class. Probably a 10-change pass ticket for $5.

I feel that they probably learned their lesson though with the path switching and it'll probably end up making this an unlockable reward. I mean it seems REALLY stupid of them to freeze the crystals up like that as it will strongly encourage people to seek out and find #2 methods to get their way.
---
Stay Cool!
Shin Majin Yellow Sparx Gems: 1145
#4 Posted: 15:58:40 19/08/2016
Eh? How do we know they can't be reset?
---
Team quadruped.
Joseph > Jotaro
MugoUrth Ripto Gems: 3234
#5 Posted: 16:01:04 19/08/2016
This sounds like a terrible way to make more money.
ChillStealthElf Yellow Sparx Gems: 1864
#6 Posted: 16:03:35 19/08/2016
if we really can't reset the crystals, I may end up holding of on using any until I can plan out my Imaginators and have unlocked a ton of parts smilie
Muffin Man Platinum Sparx Gems: 5511
#7 Posted: 16:06:10 19/08/2016
Is there anyone who even supports this idea at all, aside from Activision? Personally, I hate any instance of permanent data flagging in a game. I should always be able to reset every part of the experience to factory settings. I bought the damn thing, I should be allowed to experience it fresh from the start whenever I want.
---
Boop me if you see this.
4inCreation Gold Sparx Gems: 2989
#8 Posted: 16:08:35 19/08/2016
Skylanders Imaginators - Imagine what you could create if you had more money!
#9 Posted: 16:11:12 19/08/2016 | Topic Creator
Quote: Shin Majin
Eh? How do we know they can't be reset?

FGTV and Myskylanders asked around and were told Battle Classes cannot be reset.

Also, a more selfish reasoning but still one - marathons with Imaginators become a no-no. It's a thing that some people reset their characters and play the games back to back to remember how it was like when they didn't have X power, but if your Imaginators are forever stuck with their level and upgrades there's no challenge. Also pretty bad for research though we're at least compensating for that with footage of events and other players.
---
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 16:15:30 19/08/2016 by Bifrost
TheToyNerd Gold Sparx Gems: 2137
#10 Posted: 16:17:58 19/08/2016
Yeah, definitely agreed. This is a terrible idea that Activision and TFB should be ashamed of. I personally would love to try out the different classes by resetting the Crystal and this kind of **** is VERY consumer unfriendly...
yelvy Gold Sparx Gems: 2450
#11 Posted: 16:21:09 19/08/2016
As someone who is forever resetting their figures, this really bugs me. I wasn't completely sold on the Character Creation thing anyway, but I doubt I'll bother now that my 'decision is final'. There's just something about locking the class into the crystal that I... really don't like.
Fireworks Emerald Sparx Gems: 3094
#12 Posted: 16:26:52 19/08/2016
I wasn't planning on buying a lot of Crystals to begin with but if this whole locked Battle Class and no resetting deal turns out to be true I'll definitely not buy any aside from the one I'll get with the Starter and Adventure Packs. How am I supposed to know if I'm gonna like the Blattle Class I pick if I can't try it out first nor ever change it ?

I wonder if it's due to programming difficulties with the crystals or Acti's forced marketing decision on the developpers to try and get more money out of it. Probably the latter...
---
Don't mind me, I'm just not a very talkative person.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:35:22 19/08/2016 by Fireworks
#13 Posted: 16:31:06 19/08/2016 | Topic Creator
It's the latter, the devs were shown resetting the crystals using the devkit so the press could start clean, they definately could put that in.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:31:32 19/08/2016 by Bifrost
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#14 Posted: 16:37:46 19/08/2016
Just because they don't know a way to do it yet does not mean it will not be available once released. I would be fairly certain resetting a creation would not be an easy thing to do by accidentally selecting the wrong menu option.

And if the selection of a battle class for a crystal were permanent, when selecting one it would make very, very certain you were aware of that when choosing one. I haven't seen anything of the sort in the "create a character" videos.
Pickle Blue Sparx Gems: 779
#15 Posted: 16:39:51 19/08/2016
I understand not resetting traps because you only get one upgrade for the villains (color swap). But if you can't reset you creation crystals that would be terrible because it restricts creativity.
---
smilie "So what'll it be, you wan' da appetizer or da main course?!" -Chef Pepper Jack, 2014-2015: R.I.P. (Roast in Piece) smilie
#16 Posted: 16:52:55 19/08/2016 | Topic Creator
Quote: defpally
Just because they don't know a way to do it yet does not mean it will not be available once released. I would be fairly certain resetting a creation would not be an easy thing to do by accidentally selecting the wrong menu option.

And if the selection of a battle class for a crystal were permanent, when selecting one it would make very, very certain you were aware of that when choosing one. I haven't seen anything of the sort in the "create a character" videos.

It doesn't matter if you know. Sometimes a gameplay style doesn't click with you, or you want to change that character's class because a weapon would look better or the pose is more fitting. Or even you're playing or sharing the crystal with a clueless younger sibling who doesn't care if you want X class and chooses Y. You shouldn't have to pay for that when you can regret it on regular Skylanders and reset.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 16:54:42 19/08/2016 by Bifrost
angelg Gold Sparx Gems: 2791
#17 Posted: 17:05:50 19/08/2016
This is Activision's "know how". They try to bring up as many reasons as possible to make us buy several of the items.

SC made us forget about it (instant hot streak and spitfire, only three vehicles needed to complete nearly all of the game, etc), but the fact is we are still "playing" under Acti's rules, and it seems they have come back to their roots.

I guess their financial model is built in such a way that its essential to get high profits in order to keep going with the franchise (tv show, games, merchandise, etc). Or maybe is just pure greed, who knows.

I was planning to play as only a few classes, so it won't be a big deal for me.

Anyway, I'll need someone to lecture me on those ways to fight back...
---
Life sucks...and then you die.
XSparxX Emerald Sparx Gems: 4752
#18 Posted: 17:19:58 19/08/2016
Here is it, the first negative news of Imaginators....
I hope it doesn't turn out to be a second TT ...
---
"If I had any humanity left, I would have been crushed by the guilt by now."
AdamGregory03 Gold Sparx Gems: 2156
#19 Posted: 17:23:17 19/08/2016
I can't say I'm too upset by this since I was planning on buying a couple of crystals per element anyway, but I will admit that this is a pretty scumbag decision. My only question, though, is this a scumbag decision by Toys for Bob or Activision?

I'm more inclined to believe Activision, since they're up there with the likes of EA and Konami in terms of corporate greed.
---
Golden Queen did nothing wrong and she is best evil waifu.
Check this out! Please?
Bionichute Yellow Sparx Gems: 1889
#20 Posted: 17:58:10 19/08/2016
God, I'm hoping they change this, especially if they see all the negativity its bringing.

I honestly can't imagine that a hard reset is something really difficult to put in. If you can do that on regular Skylanders, then you can do it on these guys.
---
I'M A KAMEN RIDER
//forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=129460 Check out my Skylanders game idea!
Unreallystic Emerald Sparx Gems: 3054
#21 Posted: 18:03:49 19/08/2016
This puts me in a weird spot. So I'd end up either doing #2 from the OP's post, OR only buy crystals when there is a stupid dumb sale, I mean 25 cent gas dumb deal. I already was trying to figure out how deep to get into senseis - but this is a nail...and this is a coffin...
- Unreall
GinjaNinja Gold Sparx Gems: 2604
#22 Posted: 18:26:08 19/08/2016
Only way I'll buy crystals are if they come in adventure packs (like the earth one), in a double pack (magic one because Mysticat didn't have a single pack in the pop shop), or whenever TRU has a super deal on them like they are running on all figures now (buy 1 get any 2 free on all single packs).
JohnnySmasher42 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3063
#23 Posted: 18:27:27 19/08/2016
Maybe when they said you couldn't change the battle class, they meant that you can't change your CHARACTER'S battle class(y'know, keeping the level cap and upgrades), so if you want to reset battle class, you completely delete your character.
---
Skylanders is dead and Activision killed it
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#24 Posted: 18:46:25 19/08/2016
I hope what JohnnySmasher42 said is right. Hope it turns out like that. And also, not fully resetting the character wouldn't make much sense. But I think that it's possible. Hope that not.
---
Bruh
Portal___Master Emerald Sparx Gems: 3718
#25 Posted: 18:51:16 19/08/2016
Perhaps a DS Hunter could start an online petition that we all could sign saying we're not okay with this design choice and inform Acti about it.
---
smilie
Guinness Book of World Records holder for Largest SkyLanders Collection.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SkyLandersCollectorsGroup
GinjaNinja Gold Sparx Gems: 2604
#26 Posted: 18:53:05 19/08/2016
Watching the videos they've said that choosing a battle class is permanent to the crystal. Don't get your hopes up for anything otherwise.
#27 Posted: 18:54:33 19/08/2016 | Topic Creator
Quote: Portal___Master
Perhaps a DS Hunter could start an online petition that we all could sign saying we're not okay with this design choice and inform Acti about it.

Petitions never work unless it's interest checks to localize a game. We had stuff to cancel the series, put Luminous and Nightshade in, bring back PVP. None are ever happening nor they're taking it seriously. Unfortunately neither does social media vocalization because they have the world's most apathetic PR. Only way to get to them is events and interviews.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:55:08 19/08/2016 by Bifrost
Blink182Bouncer Yellow Sparx Gems: 1659
#28 Posted: 18:58:31 19/08/2016
If we can get a solid majority of this forum to pledge to boycott this game, it won't be too hard getting Acti's attention. I mean it's a small price to pay to fight against the oppressive hand of corporate America. After all it's just a game.
---
Still Waiting For Legendary Tom DeLonge To Come In The Blink-182 Triple Pack.
WHY DID THEY MAKE MATT SKIBA "CALIFORNIA EDITION EXCLUSIVE"
#29 Posted: 19:00:54 19/08/2016 | Topic Creator
I laugh at this now but I could see some fans actually doing that and actually thinking it'd work despite the millions of kids who don't care.
---
#30 Posted: 19:07:53 19/08/2016
Quote: Bifrost
I laugh at this now but I could see some fans actually doing that and actually thinking it'd work despite the millions of kids who don't care.

Think about it though. If we could convice some youtubers to play nice, if just for a month, we will have basically destroyed Acti's source of advertisement
---
#31 Posted: 19:11:50 19/08/2016 | Topic Creator
They can't play nice for a day, let alone a month. Youtube wants you to post videos as soon as possible or screw your revenue. They can, however, put more videos going 'hey acti this isn't cool, I hope we get a change or update'.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:12:14 19/08/2016 by Bifrost
#32 Posted: 19:18:09 19/08/2016
They can't play nice for a day, let alone a month. Youtube wants you to post videos as soon as possible or screw your revenue. They can, however, put more videos going 'hey acti this isn't cool, I hope we get a change or update'.

You may be right, but SB&G's 2nd Channel, and CoinOP have plenty of other games they can get revenue from.
---
BOOMCAKE Blue Sparx Gems: 970
#33 Posted: 19:45:06 19/08/2016
I can already imagine the sad faces from buying used crystal figures.
uskylandersa Yellow Sparx Gems: 1033
#34 Posted: 19:59:44 19/08/2016
I never actually made a video about this, but as I heard, you are able to reset creation crystals fully and start from scratch. This is EXACTLY what you can do to a regular Skylander, WHY is this such a big deal?? I don't understand.
---
Go check out my YouTube channel named United Skylanders America! smilie
Pokelander Green Sparx Gems: 424
#35 Posted: 20:01:59 19/08/2016
I told you guys since E3 they were pulling this crap :{ This is what happens when people go out and spend top dollar on every Trap/Vehicle available. It bothers me, but with the roster we are getting I probably wouldn't have even gotten through a third of one hundred combinations.
LittlePunk Blue Sparx Gems: 893
#36 Posted: 20:06:22 19/08/2016
I know it sucks we aren't able to change battle classes afterwards
---
smilie This fire is outta control!
smilie Let there be rock!!!
#37 Posted: 20:17:40 19/08/2016
Quote: uskylandersa
I never actually made a video about this, but as I heard, you are able to reset creation crystals fully and start from scratch. This is EXACTLY what you can do to a regular Skylander, WHY is this such a big deal?? I don't understand.

So you can actually reset a battle class?
Is there any source for this?
---
Check this out! Please?
TheToyNerd Gold Sparx Gems: 2137
#38 Posted: 20:22:33 19/08/2016
[User Posted Image]

Uh Oh... MySkylanders looked in the Ownership tab and there wasn't any reset button. Please fix this, Toys for Bob. I didn't think this needed to be said, but you should be able to reset your Skylanders toys.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:23:55 19/08/2016 by TheToyNerd
newkill Emerald Sparx Gems: 3988
#39 Posted: 20:26:50 19/08/2016
You all know petitions are useless, don't think of planning one.

I'm not really surprised, they need to make money after all...

This does not change my plan of getting 10 crystals and assigning a different class and element to each of them. This only prevents me from experimenting different combination of class and element.
---
bye
#40 Posted: 20:33:55 19/08/2016 | Topic Creator
Man, I might also have to rethink the starter crystal as well. I never liked melee gameplay with low range but I thought I'd give Brawler a chance with it, but if it's going to cost me the crystal, experimenting is no longer worth it.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:34:08 19/08/2016 by Bifrost
yelvy Gold Sparx Gems: 2450
#41 Posted: 20:38:14 19/08/2016
Man, I might also have to rethink the starter crystal as well. I never liked melee gameplay with low range but I thought I'd give Brawler a chance with it, but if it's going to cost me the crystal, experimenting is no longer worth it.

Same here. If I never have to use an Imaginator I probably won't.
Akseyomiht Yellow Sparx Gems: 1494
#42 Posted: 20:41:53 19/08/2016
Quote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7CeiScRncc
YRocTheEliteSlayer 1 Month ago
Not exactly. once you pick your battle class it sticks with the crystal forever.

Mmmmmmmmm....
Luminous35 Gold Sparx Gems: 2457
#43 Posted: 20:45:08 19/08/2016
Well, I mean, I understand why everyone is upset. This is a pretty stupid idea. I mean, what if you wanted to test a Battle Class to see what it's like, and if you don't like it, you want to switch it but can't. Pretty dumb. Here's a complaint answer:

"I wanted to test out a class, to see if I liked it, and I didn't, but I can't change my class on my Creation Crystal."

"Buy more crystals."

Basically. But this doesn't affect me much, because I'm still getting about 20 crystals (good heavens) but I understand why everyone is upset.
---
smilie smilie STARCAST FOR PRESIDENT OF MY SEXUALITY smilie smilie
smilie smilie Professor Jet-Vac? I don’t feel so good. smilie smilie
#44 Posted: 20:46:36 19/08/2016 | Topic Creator
STILL, say "buy more crystals" is the answer. You now have a crystal that's useless to you and good luck reselling that because if the gameplay is genuinely bad no one will want to buy it anyway. **** mechanic no matter how you look at it.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:46:54 19/08/2016 by Bifrost
#45 Posted: 20:47:50 19/08/2016
Maybe you don't have the money to buy another one either. Nice one TFB. Wonderful.
---
TrapShadowFan Emerald Sparx Gems: 3511
#46 Posted: 20:52:14 19/08/2016
I know Activision can be greedy, but they definitely wouldn't make the classes permanent. They had that notice for upgrade paths too, even in Superchargers. Every time you chose a path it said "You can only choose one path, choose wisely!" Yet if you reset the character, you could still switch paths. By "final decision," they are saying that the class is a final decision for the character and you cannot switch their class. Just like upgrade paths and how they tell you that they are a final decision, you can most definitely still erase your character and choose a new class.
#47 Posted: 20:55:13 19/08/2016
Idk, we've gotten a lot of sources from devs saying they are permanent.
---
#48 Posted: 20:55:49 19/08/2016
"Most definitely"?
Do you have any source to back this up then?

Also, I guess this is why they put in the Class Previews on the selection screen.
So people can look over the classes and think about what they'll want to assign.
---
Check this out! Please?
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:00:01 19/08/2016 by AdamGregory03
Pokelander Green Sparx Gems: 424
#49 Posted: 20:57:05 19/08/2016
You keep thinking that.
Nightmoon Yellow Sparx Gems: 1760
#50 Posted: 21:01:11 19/08/2016
Quote: TheToyNerd
[User Posted Image]

Uh Oh... MySkylanders looked in the Ownership tab and there wasn't any reset button. Please fix this, Toys for Bob. I didn't think this needed to be said, but you should be able to reset your Skylanders toys.

Where did he post this?
---
Phoenix Crystal is the best unreleased Crystal.
Skylanders Academy Season 2 was an improvement.
I don't know what to think of Skylanders' future.
Page 1 of 13 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me