darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: SuperChargers > Spyro's role in the future of Skylanders.
First | Previous | Page 3 of 3
1 2 3
Spyro's role in the future of Skylanders.
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8457
#101 Posted: 12:53:59 10/09/2015 | Topic Creator
Pop Fizz hasn't been chosen to be the magic flagship at all. They practically share it. The reason Pop Fizz got a revamp for Super Chargers is because he's a biped.

My guess, if TfB continues revamps like this, Spyro is most likely to get one.

I feel like people are jumping to conclusions to much. Spyro is fine and still a big part of the cast.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
Unreallystic Emerald Sparx Gems: 3054
#102 Posted: 15:31:27 10/09/2015
Quote: Bifrost
Or the writers would like Spyro but they're the minority in the office. I think David said a few times that he puts Spyro in it even as small roles because he really likes him anyway.

But angelg put it into the right words. It's not a Gills game, not a Triggs game, not a Spyro game, it's a Skylanders game. Focus might change but it's still about everyone at once.

eh, that's more a technicality than a reality. If that was the case, we wouldn't have 5 different Gill Grunts, 4 Stealth Elfs, 4 Trigger Happys, etc - ALL of WHICH have at LEAST one variant and at least one chase variant. They push those characters. They pushed Spyro too early on, and then have removed the rug from under him. It could be called a "Skylanders Game" - it is haha, but we essentialy have a base roster of characters that we can predict will be in all entries with maybe one or two drop-outs here and there. Next year we can EXPECT those characters to be reposed again. It's like Justice League Unlimited, sure the story may vere off Superman/Batman/Wonder woman/Flash/Martian Manhunter, but we all know 'them' to 'be' the Justice LEague.
- Unreall
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#103 Posted: 15:59:34 10/09/2015
Aaaand that's why I couldn't care less about revamps.
They are developer's choices, not mines.

Sure, Justice League is mainly about Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman and the others you mentioned but you really don't have the choice to see the stories about the less popular character you like, in that case.
It's not up to you to decide who will live the adventure.

In Skylanders however YOU and only you can decide which character will partake a mission.
No matter how many other people like him/her or not, you like him/her and that's enough.
Play as the over-popular characters or swipe the dust off your forgotten friends.
Skylanders players, just like Infinity ones have a power which goes beyond every videogame released so far (at least the very majority of them): the power of choice.

It's not a matter of who they will release but a matter of who you will buy.
They can even release a game with 99 different Gill Grunts and one single new Skylander and that's the only character I will buy.

Trigger Happy is not more important than Shroomboom.
That's the only truth.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:00:48 10/09/2015 by Drek95
angelg Gold Sparx Gems: 2791
#104 Posted: 16:12:42 10/09/2015
Quote: Unreallystic
Quote: angelg
Spyro's inclusion was a smart move from activision in order to get more attention for SSA, however, their intention was pretty clear from the beginning: focus on a lot of characters, not only Spyro.

Don't get me wrong I love Spyro, I have played most of his games (except the ones for the handhelds), but the fact he isn't reposed is the natural tendency of the franchise. More characters need to get in, so others need to get less attention (I know I kno, this year's revamps could be considered as reposes, but in fact, they aren't).

Spyro won't dissapear, I even think he will get a repose on other skylanders games, but he can't just be always one of the pillars of the game. Other characters have to be included.

But if that was the case, we wouldn't have Gill Grunt in 'Everything' and Jet-Vac 'essentially' in everything, or Stealth Elf, or Trigger Happy. They have a 'team' that they want the focus on it looks like (which is fine), but I don't see why they would take Spyro out of it. Again, it would be different if they had some plans for Spyro, but looking at the comic stuff, its obvious he's still one of the main characters. Are they losing ground or something by choosing Spyro over Pop Fizz? Nope.
- Unreall

True, there are certain characters that get reposes in each game, but that's all they are, reposes (with the obvious exception of superchargers). Until now, none of these weren't really improved apart from some minor powers and appearance changes. With that said I wouldn't say they focus on the same 4-5 characters all the time, but rather see it as a complementary feature of the series. Each year the marketing strategy heavily focuses on the new characters, particularly the gimmicklanders, and the game itself even has some features which adapt better for the new characters. IMO the new ones are the true core, while the reposes is something complementary as I said before.

I think the reposes are made in order to give some "familiar" atmosphere to the game like "hey, is still skylanders despite the new stuff"since the series has become a power*** trademark on its own which must be somehow remembered with each release.

Going back to Spyro, I think he's a good trademark as well, and I don't think they will forget him, but neither they want to people think that Skylanders is equal to a Spyro games. They try to balance these, trying to take out the best of each.
---
Life sucks...and then you die.
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10269
#105 Posted: 16:16:55 10/09/2015
Well, not too sure about that,angelg. Though there's no confirmation, General has a thread on someone that worked on Enter the Dragonfly that now works for Activision and has heard of people sending pitches; if Acti turned even Sanzaru Games down, they don't care enough(unless the idea was bad,but dunno, if you've worked on Rachet and Clank you probably have some merit). But as I said there,the AAA industry thinks 3D plataformers are oldfashioned and dead,so it might have less to do with the IP and more to do with the genre.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:18:10 10/09/2015 by Bifrost
#106 Posted: 16:29:12 10/09/2015
Yeah, that's also a possibility. Is true that platformers are not being developed that much nowadays, gamers tend to go for rpg/action or adventure games and considering the increasing costs of developing games, companies think a lot before taking decisions. Maybe they aren't protecting (differentiating) the trademarks but rather making use of them in order to max out the promotion of their games.
---
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5045
#107 Posted: 19:18:22 10/09/2015
i dont think there is any future for spyro in the skylanders game anymore. as i see it they have finally got rid of him and he is not coming back... yes its sad, but nothing we can do about it.
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:19:11 10/09/2015 by CountMoneyBone
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#108 Posted: 19:25:44 10/09/2015
Quote: CountMoneyBone
i dont think there is any future for spyro in the skylanders game anymore. as i see it they have finally got rid of him and he is not coming back... yes its sad, but nothing we can do about it.

You keep saying that everytime there is a topic on Spyro's future. I really am tired of seeing the same exact comments from you since you do this EVERY year.

Next thing you know, next year you would try to spread false rumors on Spyro "not being repose in the next Skylanders game" or "Spyro isn't reposed! That means he's gone for good!" just like you did for Trap Team for the sake of reeling in drama or for your own amusement.

Yes, you just keep ignoring the fact that Spyro is still an important character even though he isn't reposed in every game and that he doesn't have to be considered "important" simply for being a new repose. You simply want keep spamming the same "Spyro is dead because he isn't reposed every game!" just to annoy us, and you don't want Spyro to get a repose or return at all.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 19:30:38 10/09/2015 by Aura24
#109 Posted: 21:31:20 10/09/2015
Yeah, that's also a possibility. Is true that platformers are not being developed that much nowadays, gamers tend to go for rpg/action or adventure games and considering the increasing costs of developing games, companies think a lot before taking decisions. Maybe they aren't protecting (differentiating) the trademarks but rather making use of them in order to max out the promotion of their games.

But isn't Skylanders at this point a platformer with 'toys'? I mean I agree with the overarching thread, I just won't lie - even with them having those 'core' cores - the only one with any real weight is STILL SPYRO, and with no game currently in sight, I'm just scratching my head as to why they would bury him. It's not like "Luigi's Mansion" where there is an obvious 1B to 'lead the way', I'm in my 30s, and my friends all know who Spyro is, never heard of gill Grunt or Trigger Happy though. My sister, 8.5 years younger than me played Spyro growing up, she doesn't know who the other characters are.

I'm NoT calling them out for shifting focus away from Spyro, I'm just trying to wrap my head around why they would. The Spyro name is worth money, and none of the other Skylanders 'are'. I could then see the logic in saying we want to develop them into a stand alone IP to grow the universe, GREAT! That's how we got to the Avengers movies. But to do that, most of the other Avengers had their own movies...or multiple cameos in other movies...and with no spyro game in sight, they aren't 'growing' anything, just tossing the Spyro license to the side...and I just don't get "why". At least do a MUCH needed HD remake or something with Spyro (OMG I tried playing the old games, I bought them on sale on my PS3...wow those graphics need...some lovin')

*head scratch*
Why isn't Crash Bandicoot in Superchargers?
- Unreall
#110 Posted: 21:36:52 10/09/2015
Skylanders is a hack-and-slash with plataforming elements. Spyro is known for being 3D plataforming and collectathon, so anything else would be a shower of 'it's not the same' once again.

But I won't lie, I don't get it either, it's the same issue as Crash - you don't need to have the big comeback yet, but why sit on the IP like you're not losing money that way? Make remasters, ports, or even just a dumb simple handheld/mobile thing to make good use of them, the nostalgia or the Skylanders fandom will do the rest. Even Nordic Games which had a ton of THQ IPs fall on their lap tried to do their best to at least have some plans for the future, Acti is just saying no and no reason.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:37:22 10/09/2015 by Bifrost
#111 Posted: 22:19:05 10/09/2015
I also played Spyro games as a child and it was one of my favourites characters. I still remember how much I like year of the dragon and the feeling of flying freely all the time in dawn of the dragon, those were amazing games IMO.

Why do franchises/characters who had great success are progressively forgotten?Well, one could argue is a natural tendency of developers, looking to create something "new", something which hasn't been done before, which is, in fact, what brought skylanders to the world. I guess human beings are that way, looking all the time for creating new things.

However the same could be argued in the other sense, franchises like star wars, sonic, mario, metal gear etc seem to exploited all the time, one way or the other.

Maybe the fact that Spyro hasn't had an important role this time around is a matter of resources and/or priorities, is not that they want him to be dissapear on purpose, but rather, that they have to choose what to do with their year time and limited resources. Therefore a more appropiate question would be, why other Skylanders have been given priority above Spyro? I dunno, maybe they look at the chart sales of each of the figures and go for the top ones, or maybe they performed a super complex market study which suggested to revamp those characters. Maybe they study the profile of the average skylander consumer and realise he's a 12 year old who has not known Spyro as well as other gamers. Keep in ind we grew up with Spyro, but no everybody did, maybe the feelings for our dear purple dragon are not the same among all the gamers.

However, like I said before, I think Spyro not being remade this time around is exceptional, he'll probably be around next time.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:23:51 10/09/2015 by angelg
#112 Posted: 22:23:01 10/09/2015
(I'll beg to differ on Dawn of the Dragon being anything close to amazing.) You can delete posts in the Edit screen,angelg.

It's not exeptional, a Spyro game has been pitched by different developers by some time. Of course, assuming that the ETD dev is being legit or even not exaggerating.
Doing new things is done all the time,but the thing is, mascots always at least get SOME attention. They'll sell toys,they'll sell even small games(look at the Rayman mobile spinoffs), they can appeal to nostalgia. Even Mega Man which is being left behind still gets at least ports and collections. Crash and Spyro? Nothing, every time it's 'we have no plans in the near future' and not one explanation that seems reasonable.

The whole thing just seems like an amazingly stupid business move, and it's been already more than enough years to stop blaming their ends on games that tried to make them new to begin with.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 22:24:39 10/09/2015 by Bifrost
#113 Posted: 22:32:32 10/09/2015
It reminds me as when Real Madrid do not sell players who had been on the bench the whole season because they have "plans" for them. ANd the next season they are still benchwarmers.

Perhaps is something similar here, they keep thinking they're gonna do something with the character, but they don't, and they don't sell the rights neither because they don't want to risk losing that property.

Medievil could also be added to those playstation games who had been asked for a long time and haven't been remade. However, the opposite may also happen like when Final Fantasy VII got announced this E3, or when Kid Icarus got another game after some many years.

Skylanders is a super interesting marketing suggest, lol.
---
Earth-Dragon Blue Sparx Gems: 972
#114 Posted: 02:52:50 11/09/2015
When its your millions, you can "experiment" with what people want. People forget that the game industry has gone from fat and robust to skeleton skinny 3 times in the last 30 years. Companies go with what's safe in order to simply still exist in two years. You create a game that doesn't make money and a proportionate amount of employees and future projects get the the axe.

Every series ever has a fan site out and about for it. That doesn't mean that will translate to solid sales for a game if produced.
---
Glad heroic challenges are gone. Imagine doing 165 per skylander. That's 27225 challenges. No thank you.
GillGrunt4Ever Yellow Sparx Gems: 1681
#115 Posted: 10:58:06 11/09/2015
Quote: Unreallystic

But isn't Skylanders at this point a platformer with 'toys'? I mean I agree with the overarching thread, I just won't lie - even with them having those 'core' cores - the only one with any real weight is STILL SPYRO, and with no game currently in sight, I'm just scratching my head as to why they would bury him. It's not like "Luigi's Mansion" where there is an obvious 1B to 'lead the way', I'm in my 30s, and my friends all know who Spyro is, never heard of gill Grunt or Trigger Happy though. My sister, 8.5 years younger than me played Spyro growing up, she doesn't know who the other characters are.

I'm NoT calling them out for shifting focus away from Spyro, I'm just trying to wrap my head around why they would. The Spyro name is worth money, and none of the other Skylanders 'are'. I could then see the logic in saying we want to develop them into a stand alone IP to grow the universe, GREAT! That's how we got to the Avengers movies. But to do that, most of the other Avengers had their own movies...or multiple cameos in other movies...and with no spyro game in sight, they aren't 'growing' anything, just tossing the Spyro license to the side...and I just don't get "why". At least do a MUCH needed HD remake or something with Spyro (OMG I tried playing the old games, I bought them on sale on my PS3...wow those graphics need...some lovin')

*head scratch*
Why isn't Crash Bandicoot in Superchargers?
- Unreall

What about Cynder (and kinda Sparx)?
Well I guess Cynder has not been in a game since SWAP Force so nevermind.
---
Check out my new FanFic, Skylanders: Civil War!
smilie smilie
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 10:59:28 11/09/2015 by GillGrunt4Ever
GillGrunt4Ever Yellow Sparx Gems: 1681
#116 Posted: 11:00:40 11/09/2015
Also, I think they tried to use Donkey Kong and Bowser this year (since they couldn't use Spyro) for household names.
---
Check out my new FanFic, Skylanders: Civil War!
smilie smilie
#117 Posted: 12:35:30 11/09/2015
Quote: Earth-Dragon
When its your millions, you can "experiment" with what people want. People forget that the game industry has gone from fat and robust to skeleton skinny 3 times in the last 30 years. Companies go with what's safe in order to simply still exist in two years. You create a game that doesn't make money and a proportionate amount of employees and future projects get the the axe.

Every series ever has a fan site out and about for it. That doesn't mean that will translate to solid sales for a game if produced.

But that's part of the issue...you want to sell copies, you add a name to it...having 'Spyro' in it will bring more people to play iot than having Gill Grunt or Stealth Elf. No one is saying "make a brand new Spyro game, it will make you billions!", but you have a mascot, with appeal, and you take him OUT of the game. You do that for a couple reasons, to grow the IP - interdependent of that mascot, like Luigi's Mansion, or burn out. with NO new Spyro games, the last 'new' one that I'm aware of is SSA - burn out of Spyro is NOT an issue, so the 'logical' reason is they want to grow the IP and take Spyro elsewhere. GREAT, but that only flies if there are plans for Spyro. Without a plan for Spyro, they might as well grow HIM as a mascot to make more on Skylanders.

Now to add to the confusion, there is something to be said for going off sales figures, but here is the issue, Spyro was given out in the SSA starter pack. His S2 was limited at least states side, and due to gimmicks, was largely ignored in Swap Force. So its hard to gauge that. As well, being perfectly honest, as a mascot, you do NOT want to just 'mess around' with his image...Superchargers almost appears as though they took 'liberties' with character redesigns, something Acti wouldn't be fond of for such an important IP.

So I can understand him not being in this title, the next entry will be the tale-tell sign of their Spyro plans...
- Unreall
#118 Posted: 12:47:54 11/09/2015
SSA was still not really a Spyro game, just with him on the title. If it was still Spyro's Kingdom, it'd make sense since he'd rule the place(and even then, still a game with him and not about him), but not the current one. Last game is still DotD, as sad as that is, and that even seemed to be an attempt to rush the end of the triology out of the door since they got whoever to finish it and it became that mess of a LOTR ripoff.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 12:58:45 11/09/2015 by Bifrost
TakeYourLemons Gold Sparx Gems: 2350
#119 Posted: 12:49:58 11/09/2015
Quote: Earth-Dragon

Common sense should be...this common! smilie
EmperorKaos Emerald Sparx Gems: 4399
#120 Posted: 11:57:11 12/09/2015
spyro was trolled, he is the only skylander without any damage increase till you choose a path.
But they can still make a wow pow about is flame skill since horn and fly got 1 already
#121 Posted: 12:08:15 12/09/2015
Possibly because during SSA's time the damage did the job :I that would definately work for a S4, though most people will groan at the mention of that number.
---
Muffin Man Platinum Sparx Gems: 5511
#122 Posted: 15:04:11 12/09/2015
If they ever make a Series 4 Spyro I want his Wow Pow to be a move that changes the element of his breath attack (in addition to increasing the power of his breath attack in general). Maybe he could get a breath attack for every element (except Magic, I guess, since he's already using magic to create all the attacks). But at least he should have Lightning breath (Air), Ice breath (Water), and Rock breath (Earth), so he has the basic elements covered.

Also, if they want to give him another appearance change, please stick with armor. Something cool yet unobtrusive, like his Series 2 armor. Please don't do any more weird things with his horns or other body parts.
---
Boop me if you see this.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:10:30 12/09/2015 by Muffin Man
Kevin16 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4524
#123 Posted: 15:19:32 12/09/2015
How is Spyro dead? you can still use his old figures, even Sunburn and Fright Rider are not dead -.-
---
what even is this site anymore lmao
First | Previous | Page 3 of 3
1 2 3

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me