darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: SuperChargers > Spyro's role in the future of Skylanders.
Page 1 of 3 | Next | Last
1 2 3
Spyro's role in the future of Skylanders.
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8457
#1 Posted: 15:39:17 11/07/2015 | Topic Creator
There was a conversation about what I said in the title in the Everything we know about SSC topic and to prevent from going off topic, just post your thoughts here.

Just a quick summery of my thoughts

I personally think that Spyro is just on a break for this game, and he'll be remade in Sky 6 with a new moveset and such. He's the/a main character in the comics and books, so I see no reason why they'd focus on him less. I have to admit, Pop Fizz is more appropriate for driving a boat, so I can see why Spyro was held off. He likely was planned at some point though.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10269
#2 Posted: 15:48:24 11/07/2015
Same, just a break. The roster was small, and VV is going for their favorites and not who actually needed new movesets. But he definately needs a new one next game, Wow Pows won't cut it.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#3 Posted: 16:08:00 11/07/2015
No, please, NO revamps in Skylanders 6 unless they are extras.

Trap Team nailed them (even if they could have had one for each Element).

I personally don't absolutely want to see another bunch of reimagined Skylanders again.
Have ideas for new movesets and powers?
Make new characters with new catchphrases, personalities and everything.

A new WOW POW is fine if they want to bring back some old characters (and hopefully ones which didn't even get a S2) but I simply wish they could stop making reposes entirely because I feel that idea is getting out of hand.

Same for Spyro.
Don't think he will get any special role in the future as he's just another of the 100+ Skylanders but I would no doubt appreciate if they could still focus on him in comics and books like they are already doing.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:09:00 11/07/2015 by Drek95
spyroflame0487 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3866
#4 Posted: 16:39:14 11/07/2015
Seems to me that by removing him from the game, they can gauge a game without Spyro pretty much at all, and see how Skylanders stands on its own (which is obvious at this point)

By that notion, I hope that Activision would focus on a standalone Spyro game, that takes place in the Skylands or something and features cameos from other characters, but you play as Spyro for the majority of the game.
---
Why did Uncle Peter have an interdimentional portal in his attic?
Spyro's entire collection! [Updated June 28th 15]
#5 Posted: 16:42:51 11/07/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: spyroflame0487
Seems to me that by removing him from the game, they can gauge a game without Spyro pretty much at all, and see how Skylanders stands on its own (which is obvious at this point)

By that notion, I hope that Activision would focus on a standalone Spyro game, that takes place in the Skylands or something and features cameos from other characters, but you play as Spyro for the majority of the game.

I think the best idea is to have a spin off focusing on a smaller number of Skylanders to play as (Say Spyro, Gill Grunt, Hex, Fire kracken, Terrafin and Wind-Up) No toys. Just a smaller adventure, like looking for a ancient treasure before Frightbeard does.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
#6 Posted: 16:47:28 11/07/2015
Or they could even adapt the books and comics into games. Would love to see Mask of Power as a 3DS/Wii game or as a (big one, not like Dark and Light) expansion pack - maybe even the books would be unlocked by figures shaped after the locations, and playing as the right characters unlocks more complex cutscenes and even banter between two characters in co-op(say, Zook and Hex will argue, Spyro and Gills will trade jokes and teasing).
---
Muffin Man Platinum Sparx Gems: 5511
#7 Posted: 16:47:42 11/07/2015
^That would be cool. It'd be neat if we could actually see some of the Skylanders interact with eachother in cutscenes and stuff.
---
Boop me if you see this.
#8 Posted: 16:52:32 11/07/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: Bifrost
Or they could even adapt the books and comics into games. Would love to see Mask of Power as a 3DS/Wii game or as a (big one, not like Dark and Light) expansion pack - maybe even the books would be unlocked by figures shaped after the locations, and playing as the right characters unlocks more complex cutscenes and even banter between two characters in co-op(say, Zook and Hex will argue, Spyro and Gills will trade jokes and teasing).

That's something I'd love to see. Focus on the Skylanders relationships. Spyro and Gill are best friends, so how to they interact with each
other? Bash has a crush on Flashwing. How does Bash act around her? Does he get nervous and shy or all "Hey babe!. I wanna rock your world!"
---
#9 Posted: 16:59:13 11/07/2015
The problem with too much custom dialogue would be tripling the VA cost, but they still could do it for the 'notorious' relationships at least. And,as I said, the books already come with small groups who don't mince words, so it's halfway through without even needing to make a new story - same for the comic series.
---
GillGrunt4Ever Yellow Sparx Gems: 1681
#10 Posted: 19:34:27 11/07/2015
I think that they should make a Skylanders game that has several Adventure/Expansion packs (but, like Bifrost said, big ones not like Light/Dark). Each pack should come with like 3-6 levels, not just one. Also, when you play the packs, some Skylanders should be "locked" when you place them on the portal, so that you can only use a certain group of Skylanders to play the Expansion levels. The packs should come with at least one Skylander that is not locked so that when somebody buys the pack they won't have to worry about not having the right Skylanders to play as.

Well that's just my opinion.
---
Check out my new FanFic, Skylanders: Civil War!
smilie smilie
ultyzaus Yellow Sparx Gems: 1700
#11 Posted: 19:45:19 11/07/2015
Quote: GillGrunt4Ever
I think that they should make a Skylanders game that has several Adventure/Expansion packs (but, like Bifrost said, big ones not like Light/Dark). Each pack should come with like 3-6 levels, not just one. Also, when you play the packs, some Skylanders should be "locked" when you place them on the portal, so that you can only use a certain group of Skylanders to play the Expansion levels. The packs should come with at least one Skylander that is not locked so that when somebody buys the pack they won't have to worry about not having the right Skylanders to play as.

Well that's just my opinion.

That I would go for. They definitely need something like this to add some depth to the plot and characters.
---
http://ultyzarus.deviantart.com/
223/254, 17 superchargers, 14 vehicles
Characters missing: Rocky Roll, Splat, Nightfall, Thrillipede
#12 Posted: 20:10:20 11/07/2015
They prooobably had something of the like in mind during SSA - I recall a sketched animation they had where unlocking characters gave you their backstory as a cutscene. But of course, imagine that now, they'd have to get an entire new team just to animate all of that PLUS variant stories.
---
GillGrunt4Ever Yellow Sparx Gems: 1681
#13 Posted: 20:15:18 11/07/2015
They prooobably had something of the like in mind during SSA - I recall a sketched animation they had where unlocking characters gave you their backstory as a cutscene. But of course, imagine that now, they'd have to get an entire new team just to animate all of that PLUS variant stories.

Yeah and that would take a while...
---
Check out my new FanFic, Skylanders: Civil War!
smilie smilie
newkill Emerald Sparx Gems: 3988
#14 Posted: 10:50:36 12/07/2015
Guys, it's simple: Spyro the Skylander is dead, stop creating threads about him... smilie
---
bye
melvimbe Yellow Sparx Gems: 1327
#15 Posted: 11:16:56 12/07/2015
Not dead. They obviously could very easily give him a repose or retooled, whatever, character next go round.

I think Activision, wants to have some characters be sort of a 'face of the franchise' for them. Yes, they have an advantage in that they're structure allows them to create to characters each year, but it is wise to keep some characters around for name recognition. It also helps keep the door open for spin off products, like a cartoon series or movie, or even bedsheets for example.

Of course it's way too early for predictions, but I'm guessing Spyro will be back next round, and that he and many others will get a reimagined figure. It'd be great to see and all dragon/quadruped lineup and have the gimmick/them tie into that.
#16 Posted: 11:32:27 12/07/2015
A moment of silence for all the dead Skylanders:
Sunburn
Fright Rider
The Giants
All the SWAP Force Cores except for Roller Brawl and Fryno
The Swappers
ALL the Trap Team characters

May you rest in peac... Oh, look!
Their older toys still work, I can use them in the new games even without pointless reposes/revamps!
What a shock!
HALLELUJAH they live!
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#17 Posted: 12:03:16 12/07/2015
Quote: newkill
Guys, it's simple: Spyro the Skylander is dead, stop creating threads about him... smilie

[User Posted Image]

But in canon, man this might be embarassing for Spyro.

"Hey, man, you're back AND with the Superchargers!"
"Yeah, it was pretty difficult, but we made it!"
"Huh...? The rest of the team looks pretty different! What happened?"
"We were given Rift Engines to join the fight with the Superchargers!... I let Pop Fizz get it instead of me, I mean, I already have a Legendary form and Dark powers, what else could I need?"
*disappointed murmurs from the rest of the Skylanders about choosing tubas over racer gear*
---
AdamGregory03 Gold Sparx Gems: 2156
#18 Posted: 15:23:35 12/07/2015
Well, just because Spyro isn't getting a new figure this game doesn't mean he's "dead". I mean, the old figures of him will still be compatible, right? But honestly, I don't get why so many people get so worked up over Spyro. Sure, there are his fans from his glory days, but let's be honest here... They could have not used Spyro, Cynder, or Sparx in the first place and called the first game "Stealth Elf's Adventure" and nothing would be different.

I mean, heck, just look at this:
[User Posted Image]

That's the boxart. And it's Stealth Elf in the center of the cast, not Spyro!
---
Golden Queen did nothing wrong and she is best evil waifu.
Check this out! Please?
Pokemon2 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3814
#19 Posted: 15:26:22 12/07/2015
Since the Rift Into Overdrive comic has the characters being either SuperChargers or Bad Guys. Spyro is not a SuperCharger........ So he's a bad guy in Superchargers!
---
Moved to TimDrake, talk to me there.
#20 Posted: 15:33:50 12/07/2015
Quote: Pokemon2
Since the Rift Into Overdrive comic has the characters being either SuperChargers or Bad Guys. Spyro is not a SuperCharger........ So he's a bad guy in Superchargers!

Not sure if straw grasping or you learned this from someone sorely mistaken.

"Not that big of a deal" is easy to say when you're not that big of an oldschool fan, but seriously, it's this or mascot graveyard for him. I'd rather take what we have, being in the title or not, being in the lineup or not - as long as he's still relevant is what matters, playable and preferably not as forgotten as Sunburn.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:34:55 12/07/2015 by Bifrost
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#21 Posted: 17:17:09 12/07/2015
I like how some fans are just ignoring the fact that all Spyro toys can still be playable. Spyro doesn't have to be reposed in every game in order to be considered "still alive".

"Does this confirm Spyro's death? I mean I love Pop Fizz, he's my all time favorite skylander, but I thought Spyro was THE magic skylander y'know? Eh, I guess Spyro's finally free. v.v"
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
TakeYourLemons Gold Sparx Gems: 2350
#22 Posted: 17:20:23 12/07/2015
Quote: AdamGregory03
Well, just because Spyro isn't getting a new figure this game doesn't mean he's "dead". I mean, the old figures of him will still be compatible, right? But honestly, I don't get why so many people get so worked up over Spyro. Sure, there are his fans from his glory days, but let's be honest here... They could have not used Spyro, Cynder, or Sparx in the first place and called the first game "Stealth Elf's Adventure" and nothing would be different.

[User Posted Image]

If you don't understand it, I understand...but we're in the age of enlightenment...let them pop their eyeballs out over Spyro. I'll just continue sipping my lemonade.
#23 Posted: 17:45:54 12/07/2015
I think Spyro's situation is sort of like Pikachu's in Pokemon. Even when Pikachu isn't obtainable in one of the new games (except via trade, in which case...much like Spyro...Pikachu can be used in every game), he's still always prominent in promotional media.
---
Boop me if you see this.
#24 Posted: 17:48:31 12/07/2015
Quote: Muffin Man
I think Spyro's situation is sort of like Pikachu's in Pokemon. Even when Pikachu isn't obtainable in one of the new games (except via trade, in which case...much like Spyro...Pikachu can be used in every game), he's still always prominent in promotional media.

Just don't give them ideas for an exclusive Instant SC Spyro that can only be obtainable via download code at Gamestop and TRU. Needless to say, I'd rather him skip several games over that.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:48:57 12/07/2015 by Bifrost
tigerdr Yellow Sparx Gems: 1976
#25 Posted: 19:01:02 12/07/2015
Quote: AdamGregory03

[User Posted Image]

except it would have tanked hard. brand recognition to launch a new brand. it succeeded. old fans were drawn to what he was doing now and got to see new characters along with him that younger gamers got attached to.

depending what the theme of the games are. it's possible he might not return for one or two games. considering how long they actually spend making characters they stick to an incredible amount of reposes or now reimagined every year.

There's one downside though that its very possible since he's owned by activision for now they could actually retire him to the game grave yard and over time he might not ever get another appearance. he's had an extra 4 years in a successful franchise he wouldn't have been a part of otherwise. that's a good feat. I'd only worry if he misses say two games in a row after, pushing him out for 3 in a row. If so, I hope its a return to normal games for him which wouldn't be a bad thing. Though it's real slim to think of since acti would be taking more of a loss to make it. They're used to things making money year after year constantly. Skylanders does that where a normal spyro game would not.
---
Taking that last ride through the sunset on skylanders. Hopefully a return of more classic spyro gameplay in the horizon.
#26 Posted: 19:27:28 12/07/2015

Don't know if you're being sarcastic, or....
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
#27 Posted: 19:30:26 12/07/2015
Quote: Aura24

Don't know if you're being sarcastic, or....

that could be possible that he's actually captured in the game, possessed to be a villain. It's sort of like the donkey kong country snes games after the first. DK was captured for the last two and yet he's a skylander here....hmm...
---
Taking that last ride through the sunset on skylanders. Hopefully a return of more classic spyro gameplay in the horizon.
Greeble Emerald Sparx Gems: 4287
#28 Posted: 19:47:31 12/07/2015
Is there really another thread complaining about Spyro?

He's not a Super Charger but he's still a Skylander and that can't be changed.

It's like saying that because Sunburn hasn't had a repose, he's no longer a Skylander.

Spyro doesn't need to be in every game.
---
^ You all know it's true
#29 Posted: 19:56:24 12/07/2015
Quote: Greeble

It's like saying that because Sunburn hasn't had a repose, he's no longer a Skylander.

Some of us get that, but others feel otherwise. And some just feel that Spyro should be dropped altogether simply because they don't want him in Skylanders anymore.

I'm neutral to this since Spyro's appearing prominently in the books and comics of the series where at least he gets some attention as the "most legendary of all the Skylanders". Heck, he may not be reposed, but at least he goes on some adventures too.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:00:03 12/07/2015 by Aura24
#30 Posted: 20:07:26 12/07/2015 | Topic Creator

While I'm personally miffed about Spyro not being a Super Charger, I know very well he's still a Skylander and a key part of the cast.

Although, some people think other wise.....
---
#31 Posted: 20:51:58 12/07/2015
I mean he still has an Eon's Elite figure being sold right now. Even if he's not a Supercharger, kids will still be buying and playing with his figure in SuperChargers.
---
Boop me if you see this.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:52:49 12/07/2015 by Muffin Man
#32 Posted: 21:33:25 12/07/2015
That or the dozens Mega Ram Spyro/Spry I still see on the shelves.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Titancrasher01 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4325
#33 Posted: 21:40:02 12/07/2015
I personally want Spyro the skylander to be gone and bring the return of Spyro the Dragon from the old game series. It's time he made a comeback!
---
PANCAKES!
#34 Posted: 21:44:00 12/07/2015
Quote: Titancrasher01
I personally want Spyro the skylander to be gone and bring the return of Spyro the Dragon from the old game series. It's time he made a comeback!

Both are still very much Spyro the Dragon. Also probably not going to happen for a good time just like Acti doing absolutely nothing with Craah for reasons unknown.
Also, what's with oldschool fans coming to bash Skyro in the threads about him in here? Feels like someone just goes 'lel let's show these kids what we think' elsewhere in the forum every time.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:44:29 12/07/2015 by Bifrost
Buuzer Hunter Gems: 6546
#35 Posted: 21:45:15 12/07/2015
Spyro is still alive.
---
smilie smilie smilie youtube.com/user/GOWBuuzer smilie smilie smilie
#36 Posted: 21:46:44 12/07/2015
Quote: Titancrasher01

...And this kind of thing is what I was talking about in my recent post above.
---
#37 Posted: 23:46:27 12/07/2015
Quote: Aura24

Some of us get that, but others feel otherwise. And some just feel that Spyro should be dropped altogether simply because they don't want him in Skylanders anymore.

I'm neutral to this since Spyro's appearing prominently in the books and comics of the series where at least he gets some attention as the "most legendary of all the Skylanders". Heck, he may not be reposed, but at least he goes on some adventures too.

Well once a character is added they're always going to be a Skylander.

He still appears in nearly every bit of merchandise even if he had no involvement with that game.

I think what people don't like is the fact that he's not the star of Skylanders.

He had his own series, it ended and then he joined something bigger.

If anything Skylanders was a good thing for him.
---
^ You all know it's true
#38 Posted: 00:02:49 13/07/2015
And he's at least still alive in the sense of making appearances that aren't cameos, and, unlike what genwunners say, his reboot didn't completely destroy what made him what he is - still a heroic young adorable purple dragon in a whimsical world of fantasy. No Bomberman Zero here.
---
#39 Posted: 00:12:39 13/07/2015
And he's at least still alive in the sense of making appearances that aren't cameos, and, unlike what genwunners say, his reboot didn't completely destroy what made him what he is - still a heroic young adorable purple dragon in a whimsical world of fantasy. No Bomberman Zero here.

I think that is possibly the best thing i've seen you post.
---
^ You all know it's true
#40 Posted: 00:39:01 13/07/2015
Said that a few times, but probably mostly in General or cleaned up for offtopic. Usually when people really mean a franchise is dead is when you absolutely tear apart what made everyone like it - the Rabbids in Rayman made the plataformer into a party game and shoved the characters out(before they got their own franchise), Bomberman Act Zero made it a super edgy story with little to sympathize with and an absolute frustration to play all around. Spyro changed in appearance in the details, but not overall; the gameplay changed genre, but it's still a bit of plataformer and full of exploration and bad guy beating. Most characters didn't stay, but they got substitutes that don't really change the tone of the series(or at least Classic), and the ones that stayed still keep mostly their personalities(except Sparx but then again what other Magic Items have lines or even proper SFX). At the very most the dry humor is gone, but really, that was more of AHT's thing than the rest of the classics.
---
#41 Posted: 01:12:48 13/07/2015
Think about it this way: how many classic platforming heroes can say they'll be fully playable in a brand new, highly promising game coming out this year? Or even this generation? Outside of Nintendo's mascots, I think Rayman is the only one who's going strong right now (and even he was taken over by Rabbids for almost all of last generation, as Bifrost mentioned). Xbox and Playstation have been moving in the direction of brown and grey shooters and cinematic movie games, while Nintendo is struggling to get by. Colorful cartoony adventures aren't as fashionable anymore. An eye-catching gimmick like toys-to-life helps them find success in the current market.

The other popular gimmick to help cartoony platformers succeed nowadays seems to be rebooting them to tie into a cartoon TV show or movie. Pac-man, Sonic, and now Ratchet & Clank have all done it. Let's just be glad we aren't getting a Spyro version of Sonic Boom...
---
Boop me if you see this.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 01:14:25 13/07/2015 by Muffin Man
FirestormPlasma Red Sparx Gems: 25
#42 Posted: 22:43:54 15/07/2015
Seriously? The only problem I have with Skylanders and this forum is that people don't know who Spyro is. He isn't a Skylander. He is an original character with his own storyline. I want a return to the classic games and classic story. I'm hoping for no more Spyro in Skylanders, he could just as easily be replaced by anyone else.
---
www.youtube.com/FirestormPlasma
#43 Posted: 22:48:10 15/07/2015
darkSpyro.net originally used to be a full-time Spyro forum before the admin decided to do Skylanders content since it involved Spyro back in 2011. And we're not getting a classic Spyro game anytime soon since Spyro is now in Skylanders. Even if he's not reposed in future games, he is still going to be playable regardless. So it's something you have to get used to and accept, Firestorm.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:48:58 15/07/2015 by Aura24
#44 Posted: 22:53:03 15/07/2015
Quote: FirestormPlasma
Seriously? The only problem I have with Skylanders and this forum is that people don't know who Spyro is. He isn't a Skylander. He is an original character with his own storyline. I want a return to the classic games and classic story. I'm hoping for no more Spyro in Skylanders, he could just as easily be replaced by anyone else.

Now he's a Skylander, with his own story and personality. If people look up and see the previous games, they can know both, just like the fans that stayed for both franchises.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 23:21:35 15/07/2015 by Bifrost
#45 Posted: 23:20:59 15/07/2015
As long as our young purple pest is around in some (and respectful) way I'm more than happy. smilie
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#46 Posted: 01:36:20 16/07/2015

Actually he is a Skylander so that statement makes no sense whatsoever.

All of the other Skylanders are original characters with their own stories.

Just because he's joined a new franchise doesn't mean it's not Spyro.
---
^ You all know it's true
#47 Posted: 03:25:13 16/07/2015

To activision it's like destiny. It's possible they could make a stand alone game but that chance within the next 5 years? It's not going to happen. The way they have spyro now is they make more money with possibly zero development other than figures compared to pushing out a full 60 buck game. Until skylanders sinks there's very little possibilty you will ever see him as stand alone again. In a way he's reaching a new generation better than he would have in his own game. While its true the classics for him are classics, he just gets more universal appeal being a skylander.
---
TheSpyrofan12 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3182
#48 Posted: 18:59:02 17/07/2015
It means Spyro is gone from Skylanders and will go back to his own game series.

Okay, so that's just what I WANT to happen. It will most likely never happen.
---
Bring the Fanta
#49 Posted: 19:06:08 17/07/2015
If he leaves Skylanders, chances are he'll go back to limbo with Crash. Even if Acti goes 'hm,maybe 3D plataformers ARE profitable again' they'll probably keep him as a crossover guest like the amiibolanders are now.
---
#50 Posted: 20:28:58 17/07/2015
I was talking about it with my father a couple hours ago.

Any company which respectfully bring back a famous old series (not just its main character) would make TONS of money.
Petitions, fan forums and sites, Facebook pages and more all prove that they would sell A LOT with all the fans still around and may also end up interesting the new generations.

Skylanders already proves there is room for colorful and silly games in the industry, along with the serious and photorealistic titles so... Why don't give it a try?
They think we want what they give us... But they don't really experiment that much to find put if we would also like something different.

Nintendo is the closest to that as of now.
Really starting to like Zelda games a lot for that exact reason.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Page 1 of 3 | Next | Last
1 2 3

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me